PDA

View Full Version : News 80 yr old man kills intruder, they don't know if they'll prosecute him.

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Good thing that they had that handgun even though it's outlawed in that stupid city. I say it's stupid because they outlaw handguns for good people to protect themselves. At least a hot shot lawyer said he would help him if they prosecute him, I hope they don't, that would just make me very sad for this world.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

Published May 26, 2010

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.

Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are "heroes" for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is "one less criminal" walking the streets.
"They don't bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?" she said.

Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.

The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple's house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

ChiTown
05-27-2010, 09:02 AM
:thumb:

If more People would "conduct business" like this elderly gentlemen did, we'd have fewer break in attempts.

Good on Pop's!

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I'd gladly take this couple as neighbors.

seclark
props to the old man.
sec

DJ's left nut
I actually hope they do prosecute him.

Anything to bring national attention to the absurdity of handgun bans is a good thing.

As such, the crooked fuckers in Cook County will make sure this is swept quickly and quietly under the rug.

Otter
05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Pennsylvania is currently in the process of passing “Castle Doctrine”. Under current legislation if someone breaks into your house it's your duty to try and flee before using deadly force.

That's right folks - if someone breaks in your house, it's currently your duty to try and flee.

ChiTown
05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Pennsylvania is currently in the process of passing “Castle Doctrine”. Under current legislation if someone breaks into your house it's your duty to try and flee before using deadly force.

That's right folks - if someone breaks in your house, it's currently your duty to try and flee.

Right.

So, basically, an intruder walks into your house, you hand him the keys, tell him where the good silver is hidden, ask him kindly to pick up before he leaves, and all is good. Is that about right?

kepp
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Wow.

Otter
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Right.

So, basically, an intruder walks into your house, you hand him the keys, tell him where the good silver is hidden, ask him kindly to pick up before he leaves, and all is good. Is that about right?

Gotta protect those home invaders. I mean they probably have an important job to get to in the morning.

ChiTown
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Gotta protect those home invaders. I mean they probably have an important job to get to in the morning.

:banghead:

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM

:facepalm:
My old apartment was on the second floor and had only one door. A burglar would've seen my .45 before he ever saw my big ass crawling out a window.

Rausch
05-27-2010, 09:15 AM
An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

End of story.

I don't want to hear about color, politics, or if the intruder was illegal or not. BAD THE FUCK ASS.

http://rlv.zcache.com/do_not_enter_poster-p228923640751774984t5ta_400.jpg

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 09:16 AM

In fairness, you can get around that law extremely easily.

Mostly all you have to do is say that you didn't see a reasonable means of escape. Under the current law, you don't have to push through the intruder to get out the door or anything. You just have to utilize any reasonable means of escape. So if you're in the kitchen and can walk out the back door instead of shooting the guy, you have to do it. My recollection is that you aren't even required to do something like exit through a window if you feel it might present a danger to your person.

It's an extension of the old "you cannot kill in defense of property" rules. If you can assert that you weren't protecting property, but yourself since there was no reasonable means of escaping, you can shoot the intruder. And that standard is subjective, so you can even claim that you paniced and didn't realize you could've escaped so easily and be okay.

It takes some doing to find many cases where someone wasn't able to easily get around those rules.

I don't agree with that law, but it's also not quite as sinister as you have laid it out.

Donger
Why would you horrible people applaud this person being shot? He was obviously just looking to improve his life.

Frazod

Of course, the people who want to pass this law have state of the art security systems and armed guards protecting them.

Doesn't everybody?

:shake:

ChiTown
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
This is how "business" is conducted at the Chitown Residence.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Freeadsimages/upload/6p3n075s0dbm9c3.jpg

MOhillbilly
sinkhole justice.

Rausch

Mostly all you have to do is say that you didn't see a reasonable means of escape. Under the cu

In all fairness, you're completely fucking retarded if you don't see a problem there to begin with.

And if you're the kind of person that thinks outside the lines I'd say you should go fanny-force-fuck a porcupine with a passionate intensity...

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
In all fairness, you're completely ****ing retarded if you don't see a problem there to begin with.

And if you're the kind of person that thinks outside the lines I'd say you should go fanny-force-**** a porcupine with a passionate intensity...

I have to believe you didn't actually read the rest of the post where I said I didn't agree with the law.

But hey, whatever gives you an opportunity to spew completely unitelligible vitriole...

Honestly, I've read that 2nd "paragraph" several times and still have no earthly idea just exactly WTF you just said.

kaplin42
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I think it is ridiculous that one cannot protect their own home and family if there is a home invasion.

As far as I'm concerned, if the dumb fuck didn't break into my house, then I wouldn't have had to put a bullet in his ass. Pretty much a clear case of cause and effect to me. Don't start no shit, and there won't be no shit.

Props to the old man for doing the right thing.

Frazod
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
It's not like this is the first time a Chicago homeowner has used an "illegal" handgun to defend his person/property. Not everybody up here is a fucking retarded sheep.

I've never heard of anybody actually being jailed over it. Seems like it would be a distastrous PR move.

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Mostly all you have to do is say that you didn't see a reasonable means of escape. Under the current law, you don't have to push through the intruder to get out the door or anything. You just have to utilize any reasonable means of escape. So if you're in the kitchen and can walk out the back door instead of shooting the guy, you have to do it. My recollection is that you aren't even required to do something like exit through a window if you feel it might present a danger to your person.

It's an extension of the old "you cannot kill in defense of property" rules. If you can assert that you weren't protecting property, but yourself since there was no reasonable means of escaping, you can shoot the intruder. And that standard is subjective, so you can even claim that you paniced and didn't realize you could've escaped so easily and be okay.

It takes some doing to find many cases where someone wasn't able to easily get around those rules.

I don't agree with that law, but it's also not quite as sinister as you have laid it out.

Point taken.

Where I live, if I step out the back door, I have no neighbors within 3 miles to run to and call 911.

What keeps them from following me and killing me? Or, sitting in there all day stealing my stuff?

It's me, my .45, and a dude bleeding out. No second guessing, struggling, or debating.

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM

that is some BS if I ever heard it. That's up there with the burglar in florida who sued the homeowners because when he broke in through the sun roof, he hurt himself and he won.

alnorth
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
In all fairness, you're completely ****ing retarded if you don't see a problem there to begin with.

And if you're the kind of person that thinks outside the lines I'd say you should go fanny-force-**** a porcupine with a passionate intensity...

Did you even bother to read his whole post? Obviously not.

alnorth
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Of course, the people who want to pass this law have state of the art security systems and armed guards protecting them.

Doesn't everybody?

:shake:

dont think you understand. He said under current law this is the case. This "Castle Doctrine" law would be the fix.

Rausch
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I have to believe you didn't actually read the rest of the post where I said I didn't agree with the law.

But hey, whatever gives you an opportunity to spew completely unitelligible vitriole...

Long as we're on the same page.

Honestly, I've read that 2nd "paragraph" several times and still have no earthly idea just exactly WTF you just said.

Outside of "fairness" (at this point it's ok to toss the standard CP $3izzle to yer mug) I then think trying to make unwanted anal sex with a porcupine is a good idea should you not happen to share my current opinion on the topic.

I'm assuming you become as heated and immediately as opinionated at any topic, at the drop of a hat, as myself.

Perhaps not.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 09:34 AM
that is some BS if I ever heard it. That's up there with the burglar in florida who sued the homeowners because when he broke in through the sun roof, he hurt himself and he won.

I'm betting you can't provide a citation for the case.

Because I'd bet a whole lot of money that this 'suit' was just another email chain that never actually happened. Just like the guy that 'set the cruise on his winnabego and went to the bathroom' or the 'robber that got stuck in someone's garage door'...

Frazod
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
dont think you understand. He said under current law this is the case. This "Castle Doctrine" law would be the fix.

Yes, thank you.

I'm glad you're here to correct us all.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm assuming you become as heated and immediately as opinionated at any topic, at the drop of a hat, as myself.

Perhaps not.

Nah, I prefer being correct before becoming indignant.

To each their own.

alnorth
05-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Yes, thank you.

I'm glad you're here to correct us all.

no, not "us all", just your post on the previous page.

Frazod
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
no, not "us all", just your post on the previous page.

Good for you, zippy. Run along now.

Rausch
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Nah, I prefer being correct before becoming indignant..

See how easy it is to clear these types of things up?...

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Because I'd bet a whole lot of money that this 'suit' was just another email chain that never actually happened. Just like the guy that 'set the cruise on his winnabego and went to the bathroom' or the 'robber that got stuck in someone's garage door'...

I remember hearing about it all over the news a while back. It's probably been at least a few years. I guess I'll try to dig it up, but it happened and it wasn't an email.

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I googled "burglar sued homeowner and won" and it got hundreds of cases where the burglar can sue ya. America is going down the drain in a heartbeak, or it's already down there.

alnorth
05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Good for you, zippy. Run along now.

I realize it wasn't really your fault, being a tiger fan and all, but you were obviously wrong. Helping our misguided Missouri neighbors is just simply the compassionate thing to do.

alnorth
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I googled "burglar sued homeowner and won" and it got hundreds of cases where the burglar can sue ya. America is going down the drain in a heartbeak, or it's already down there.

I'll be surprised if any of those cases involved the burglar hurting himself, as you mentioned earlier.

Lzen
05-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Not quite the same thing, but this is BS just the same.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2006/06/12/Robber-sues-victims-over-beating/UPI-69611150161402/

Frazod
05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I realize it wasn't really your fault, being a tiger fan and all, but you were obviously wrong. Helping our misguided Missouri neighbors is just simply the compassionate thing to do.

That's very nice of you. In exchange, please feel free to continue rooting for our sports teams.

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 10:01 AM
either way, criminals have more rights than people who abide by the law.

Lzen
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/04/2009-11-04_judge_says_michigan_convicted_robber_scott_zielinski_can_sue_for_being_chased_an.html

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
either way, criminals have more rights than people who abide by the law.

not in missouri when it comes to property.

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2006/06/12/Robber-sues-victims-over-beating/UPI-69611150161402/

That guy should have another two years added to his sentence for wasting public resources and being an idiot.

Frazod
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I think a wonderful solution to these problems is a doctrine stating that a criminal in the act of committing a violent crime has no rights.

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Indeed, you can be sued - doesn't mean they'll win or even survive a mx to dismiss.

It's like the McDonalds coffee lady - if you look through the internal documents and then what she was actually awarded (her initial verdict was appealed and she ended up getting only medical bills paid), there really was negligence on the part of McDonalds there. Nobody wants to recognize the fact that a small child could just as easily have been the one that dumped 180 degree coffee on itself...

Most of these cases where someone supposedly won something were either settled on a nuisance basis or lost altogether.

Juries are composed of individuals that aren't any more likely to award a robber for falling through a sunroof as you are.

/hijack

DJ's left nut
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Sued - and lost.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/04/2009-11-04_judge_says_michigan_convicted_robber_scott_zielinski_can_sue_for_being_chased_an.html

Allowed to proceed - after putting up a 10K bond to cover attorneys fees if he lost (I don't believe he actually did so).

Additionally, virtually every state in the union has a statute awarding attorneys fees to the prevailing party in the event of a frivelous lawsuit.

When you start saying "well that suit is stupid, he shouldn't even be allowed to bring it" you start to run into an access to the courts issue and a potential Constitutional challenge.

Sorry, but that's a can of worms I'm not inclined to open. The truly stupid lawsuits will sort themselves out. Notice how many of these 'outrage' suits focus on the filing of the action itself. Nobody ever wins them.

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I think a wonderful solution to these problems is a doctrine stating that a criminal in the act of committing a violent crime has no rights.

As much as I agree with you, soft hearted people would cry that it leads to vigilanty mobs.

IMO, if you're in the act of a armed felony on my property, you should lose any right to sue for anything done by me, my animals, or my property. (Excluding torture):D

Lzen
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM

This.

Demonpenz
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I can see Frazod getting arrested for this...

"Mr Frazod, you were not in the wrong for killing the intruder, but sawing off his head and putting it on your front yard as a warning for others.....well that was too far..."

Chiefs Rool
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM

"Mr Frazod, you were not in the wrong for killing the intruder, but sawing off his head and putting it on your front yard as a warning for others.....well that was too far..."

hahaha

Lzen
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM

ROFL

Frazod
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM

:sulk:

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

ROFL

Actually, it almost sounds like they did a more mild version of that. They left the body out there for four hours.

ModSocks
05-27-2010, 10:35 AM
ROFL

Actually, it almost sounds like they did a more mild version of that. They left the body out there for four hours.

yeah, I thought that was a little weird. But, they are old. Maybe they forgot about it? Maybe they got tired, took a nap and decided to worry about it when they woke back up?

rockymtnchief
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
yeah, I thought that was a little weird. But, they are old. Maybe they forgot about it? Maybe they got tired, took a nap and decided to worry about it when they woke back up?

If the gal was anything like my grandma, she probably wanted everyone to stand around it so she could get pictures.

Frazod
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
ROFL

Good thing Will Munny didn't see it. :bang:

Bowser
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
And good on the "high profile attorney" for offering to defend this guy pro-bono if he gets charged.

SAUTO
05-27-2010, 11:37 AM
my FIL was awakened from sleep about 9 years ago with his wife's ex husband standing over him armed to the hilt. The FIL was over 60 at the time and talked the guy into sitting down and having his wife make some coffee. He got his pistol while putting on his pants.

the ex sits down and argues for a while and then shoots my FIL under the table with a 12 gauge. my FIL emptys his gun in the guy and kills him. It took over 18 months for them to decide NOT to charge him, and 3 years to get his gun back. Even after they found a suicide note in the Exs house telling the authorities that he killed my FIL and his wife and then himself.

all BULLSHIT if you ask me.

Fish
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Why in hell wouldn't that be the case? To me it seems quite logical....

petegz28
05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
It's amazing these days how in so many situations the criminal has more rights than the victim.

When I worked in the liquor store several cops told me to be extremely careful if I was ever robbed. Once a criminal turns his back on you they are no longer considered a threat and therefore you cannot shoot them.

My Uncle got away with such only because the criminal didn't die and was wanted for 7 other robberies.

My cousin, on the other hand, was robbed at his store by a guy with an 11 ft tow chain with a giant meathook on the end of it. My cousin popped his ass. They tried to prosecute him because using a firearm in that case was deemed to be "excessive force".

My cousin got off after 2 trials. What a bunch of crap!!

Frazod
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Why in hell wouldn't that be the case? To me it seems quite logical....

Beats me. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal idiot, so I don't get it, either.

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
post 17 boys. its the only way to be sure.

petegz28
05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I had a guy and his buddy come into the store one night thinking I was letting his son hide from him in the store. He kept threatening to jump over the counter. I remained my cool and calm self and just let him stand there and rant and kept asking him to leave. Finally after about 10 minutes of arguing I told the guy I was working with to call the cops. As soon as my co-worker turned his back to reach for the phone the guy and his buddy started coming over the counter at me. I proceeded calmy to brandish the 12 guage bullpup we kept under the counter. The 2 guys froze in their tracks bright eyed and finally left.

20 minutes later the cops show up. They search the store for the guys' son and then start flashing their lights under my counter. When they saw the shotgun one of the cops asked me if that was the weapon I assualted the two guys with? Still keeping calm I said "yes, Sir, it is". He then tried to tell me he could arrest me for assualt. I explained to him that 2 men were jumping across my counter and I had it on video tape if he would like to see. He then told me that was not the "proper" type of weapon to defend my store with.

By this time his partner emerged from the back of the store and the cop told him to take a look at the weapon I used. His partner just laughed and said, "I'd run too if someone pointed that thing at me". I said, "that's exactly why we have it here".

The cops left but I couldn't help but be slightly miffed at the one cop for being such a dick.

Demonpenz
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I shouldn't get too pissed about cops. Just take it as a giant grain of salt that they put up with more shit than you would understand.

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
my old man said he shot a dude in the back with a grenade launcher and didnt get into any trouble. Guy was running even.

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I shouldn't get too pissed about cops. Just take it as a giant grain of salt that they put up with more shit than you would understand.

One of my best Bros is gonna be a cop soon. I cant fucking wait.

It almost feels like one of ours is gettin Made.

Cant fuckin wait.

seclark
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
my old man said he shot a dude in the back with a grenade launcher and didnt get into any trouble. Guy was running even.

i bet he WAS running.
sec

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
i bet he WAS running.
sec

I dont think he made it to the tree line.

petegz28
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I dont think he made it to the tree line.

Those grenade launchers tend to leave a mark

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Those grenade launchers tend to leave a mark

from what dad said itll put a dent in your back.

petegz28
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
from what dad said itll put a dent in your back.

Or what's left of it anyway

Lzen
05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I take it that he didn't run in a zig zag pattern?

ROFL

Lzen
05-27-2010, 02:04 PM
I had a guy and his buddy come into the store one night thinking I was letting his son hide from him in the store. He kept threatening to jump over the counter. I remained my cool and calm self and just let him stand there and rant and kept asking him to leave. Finally after about 10 minutes of arguing I told the guy I was working with to call the cops. As soon as my co-worker turned his back to reach for the phone the guy and his buddy started coming over the counter at me. I proceeded calmy to brandish the 12 guage bullpup we kept under the counter. The 2 guys froze in their tracks bright eyed and finally left.

20 minutes later the cops show up. They search the store for the guys' son and then start flashing their lights under my counter. When they saw the shotgun one of the cops asked me if that was the weapon I assualted the two guys with? Still keeping calm I said "yes, Sir, it is". He then tried to tell me he could arrest me for assualt. I explained to him that 2 men were jumping across my counter and I had it on video tape if he would like to see. He then told me that was not the "proper" type of weapon to defend my store with.

By this time his partner emerged from the back of the store and the cop told him to take a look at the weapon I used. His partner just laughed and said, "I'd run too if someone pointed that thing at me". I said, "that's exactly why we have it here".

The cops left but I couldn't help but be slightly miffed at the one cop for being such a dick.

Was this in Olathe? Stupid cop. :shake: You should have asked him if he preferred dead bad guys or dead upstanding citizens.

RealSNR
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
i bet he WAS runny.
secFYP

Inspector
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
The old guy just saved God knows how many of his neighbors from being robbed and may have saved someone else from being shot by the crook in his next home break in.

I think they should let him skip property taxes for a couple of years as a reward.

petegz28
05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Was this in Olathe? Stupid cop. :shake: You should have asked him if he preferred dead bad guys or dead upstanding citizens.

No, it was in Kansas City.

Frazod
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM

I assume the answer would be that he couldn't care less. And he wants a donut. NOW.

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
i beat that hobo in the parkin lot and i thought for sure i was gonna take a pinch. Instead they asked me if i wanted to press charges.

Demonpenz
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
yeah that guy deserved it too (no hobo)