PDA

View Full Version : Misc Leaky ceiling

Dunit35
06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
We live in a rental and our landlord is out of town. The basement ceiling started leaking under the bathroom. What should I do to stop it from getting worse? It probably won't be until tommorow before I can get a hold of him.

Thanks.

cdcox
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Call BP.

Seriously, you might try turning off the water to the plumbing fixtures in the bathroom unless you are immediately using them. All depends on where the leak is.

AustinChief
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
We live in a rental and our landlord is out of town. The basement ceiling started leaking under the bathroom. What should I do to stop it from getting worse? It probably won't be until tommorow before I can get a hold of him.

Thanks.

Is the leak in the bathroom visible? Or can you only notice water coming through the basement ceiling? Does that bathroom wet wall share a wall with another room/unit where the water may be visible? Besides turning off the water at the main... your best bet is to find the leak...

Dunit35
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Is the leak in the bathroom visible? Or can you only notice water coming through the basement ceiling? Does that bathroom wet wall share a wall with another room/unit where the water may be visible? Besides turning off the water at the main... your best bet is to find the leak...

Only notice the leak in the basement. Wet spot on the ceiling is probably 2x3 ft. Checked all the bathroom locations, nothing. Should I unscrew the piece that is hiding the lines behind the shower and check those?

Iowanian
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Turn off the water in the bathroom, that probably won't work if the leak is in the floor. Turn the water off at the main valve until tomorrow. I'd guess the line is broken in the floor.

AustinChief
06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Turn off the water in the bathroom, that probably won't work if the leak is in the floor. Turn the water off at the main valve until tomorrow. I'd guess the line is broken in the floor.

yup, most likely the only answer. You can check behind the shower covers but not a likely spot and not much you can do even if it is....

If the water is leaking from a hot water line, you can shut off water at the water heater.. otherwise for cold, you likely have to go to the main... http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/plumbing/general/watermain.php (http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/plumbing/general/watermain.php)

The other option is that the leak is from a drain pipe... in that case, just avoid using that bathroom or anything that would be "upstream" from it.

Dunit35
06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
It's leaking from another location in the same wet spot. I don't know how to shut the water off from the bathroom, should I go ahead and shut the whole system off? Not that I have to pay for this, but is this an expensive fix?

Apparently the light fixture that was on it fell off Sunday and my girlfriend heard something from that area 3-4 days ago but never told me until tonight.

Edit: Didn't see Iowanians post. Guess I'll shut it off from outside.

BWillie
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi Dunit35,

I would really like to follow you on twitter.

Thank you

Dunit35
06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Dunit35,

I would really like to follow you on twitter.

Thank you

Ha, I don't blame you. I like to share everything cept my girlfriend, unless it's another hot chick.

Twitter=ghey btw.

BWillie
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Ha, I don't blame you. I like to share everything cept my girlfriend, unless it's another hot chick.

Twitter=ghey btw.

You should sign up.

Phobia
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
It's most likely a failed wax ring on the toilet or perhaps a vent boot on the roof. Probably not a huge deal in the grand scheme. You don't have to turn anything off. Just stop flushing the toilet until the landlord can get a look.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Try pissing IN the toilet instead of all over it.

seclark
06-02-2010, 07:43 AM
It's most likely a failed wax ring on the toilet or perhaps a vent boot on the roof. Probably not a huge deal in the grand scheme. You don't have to turn anything off. Just stop flushing the toilet until the landlord can get a look.

this is my bet...
sec

sparkky
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised, disappointed really, no one has suggested you TASTE the leaky water to determine if it is waste or fresh water.

Dunit35
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM

That's what my father said. The wallboard fell when I checked this morning. The water was turned off overnight and it will take two weeks before a plumber can come fix it.

I turned the water back on and am waiting for the leak to start again. Nothing yet, been probably 20 minutes.

ModSocks
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
That's what my father said. The wallboard fell when I checked this morning. The water was turned off overnight and it will take two weeks before a plumber can come fix it.

I turned the water back on and am waiting for the leak to start again. Nothing yet, been probably 20 minutes.

Damn, two weeks to get a plumber?