PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs O.J Atogwe is now a free agent (Safety - Rams)

pr_capone
06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Buh Bye Page?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5241584

The St. Louis Rams did not re-tender safety O.J. Atogwe at $6.976 million as they needed to do to assure them of his services this season. As a result, Atogwe is now an unrestricted free agent.

Atogwe, the Rams' franchise player last offseason, is now one of the top free agents, if not the top free agent available.

The Rams still would like to re-sign him, just at a lower salary than the nearly $7 million they would have been obliged to pay this season.

Atogwe is coming off an injury-shortened 2009 season. A shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve. He also underwent hernia surgery.

Despite playing a shortened season, Atogwe still recorded 74 tackles, three forced fumbles, two interceptions and a sack in 12 games. Atogwe, who will turn 29 this month, has 19 interceptions in his five-year NFL career.

The two sides are expected to continue talking. But the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings all might have some level of interest in Atogwe as well.

tyton75
06-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I really doubt we would look into it.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2010, 09:28 AM
He's an upgrade over Page ... do it.

works for me .... Flowers,Berry,Atogwe,Carr

Chiefs Rool
06-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Go git him Scott, go go go go

ModSocks
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
He's a FS. So I'd assume we put Berry at SS...but I doubt he would be used like a traditional SS. Essentially, we would have to FS' that could hit like a SS.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
He's a FS. So I'd assume we put Berry at SS...but I doubt he would be used like a traditional SS. Essentially, we would have to FS' that could hit like a SS.
treat them both like Free safeties and really lock down the passing lanes so that our front 7 can concentrate on attacking the LOS.

BossChief
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
yes, please.

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Schefter was just on NFL Live, and made it sound like no one had any interest.

He said Miami had mild interest, and that he thinks it could eventually be the Vikes.

But teams like Dallas and Philly aren't interested, and frankly, I'm shocked.

Most underrated DB in the league.

DeezNutz
06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Can he play RT?

Pasta Little Brioni
06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Can he play RT?

No, but he's an immediate upgrade to Ron Edwards at nose

MoreLemonPledge
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I'd like to have him, but it won't happen. No chance.

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 02:31 PM
We're looking for smart, fast, tough football players. - Scott Pioli

Check, check and check.

I guess it's because he wasn't team captain.

ModSocks
06-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd like to have him, but it won't happen. No chance.

Pretty much. Im sure the Chiefs are content with Jon Fucking McGraw instead.....cuz you know, he's a real hard worker and all.

ModSocks
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Check, check and check.

Why would we need this guy when we have Jon Fucking McGraw.....this shouldn't even warrant a discussion here.

MoreLemonPledge
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Check, check and check.

And they won't want to pay the asking price.

mcaj22
06-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Jon McGraw must give the best blowjobs to the FO. Especially if they consider starting him at safety this year, which just boggles my mind.

MoreLemonPledge
06-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Jon McGraw must give the best blowjobs to the FO. Especially if they consider starting him at safety this year, which just boggles my mind.

He won't start. It will be Page and Berry, barring a complete stunner a la Pollard last year.

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
And they won't want to pay the asking price.

Price should never be the issue for this team - I bet our payroll isn't over $50M right now.

Add to that, Schefter said there's not much of a market, so the asking price will drop significantly, if it's even that high to begin with.

ModSocks
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Price should never be the issue for this team - I bet our payroll isn't over $50M right now.

Add to that, Schefter said there's not much of a market, so the asking price will drop significantly, if it's even that high to begin with.

I wonder if he's being pegged as damaged goods? I bet he is.....Maybe some Samari Rolle Scenario playing out here....

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder if he's being pegged as damaged goods? I bet he is.....Maybe some Samari Rolle Scenario playing out here....

He could have one fucking leg and be better than any safety on this roster not named Eric Berry.

Iowanian
06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Uh, Hell yes.

Supersize that order and pay the extra for overnight delivery.

Titty Meat
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Even with Berry the safety position is mostly ass.

Micjones
06-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Makes too much sense.
Atogwe would improves what's already a pretty damn good secondary.
The Chiefs FO should be ALL over him.

BossChief
06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
There may not be much interest because his asking price may be to high with the risk involved.

I bet he is shooting for Antrel Rolle type coin...

Quesadilla Joe
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Atogwe wants money. He won't get that from Clark Hunt.

salame
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Did Atogwe play in the SEC?

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Did Atogwe play in the SEC?

Nope. Stanford.

salame
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Nope. Stanford.

well I guess he wont be coming here

kcchiefsus
06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Atogwe wants money. He won't get that from Clark Hunt.

Wouldn't get that from your almost bankrupt franchise either. At least we didn't have to let go of dozens of team employees to keep out of the red.

BossChief
06-02-2010, 04:51 PM

I agree that price really shouldn't be an issue for us right now, but at the same time I understand why they wouldn't want to have that much invested in the secondary too, with Berry we would have two of the highest paid safeties of all time if his demands are as high as it seems they likely are for teams that need safeties to have "no interest"

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
well I guess he wont be coming here

Yeah, it's kinda funny.

They want smart players, but they keep taking kids from the SEC.

I'm not sure Tyson Jackson could spell SEC if you spotted him the "S" "E" AND the "C."

salame
06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
We should be focusing on signing Berry before we sign Atogwe
I would love to have him but we will never do it.

OnTheWarpath15
06-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree that price really shouldn't be an issue for us right now, but at the same time I understand why they wouldn't want to have that much invested in the secondary too, with Berry we would have two of the highest paid safeties of all time if his demands are as high as it seems they likely are for teams that need safeties to have "no interest"

Where's all this talk about what he's asking?

Even if he wants $10M per, and no one is biting, the number will come down - and based on his injury, it will probably come down quite a bit.

And again, if there was a cap right now, we'd be approximately $90M under it.

I understand being financially responsible, knowing there will probably be a cap re-instated at some point - but we should be all over this kid, for anything under $7M per.

BossChief
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
If teams like the Eagles arent interested after Marlin Jackson going down for the year, his asking price right now is too high.

The highest paid safeties right now (unless I missed someone) are Antrel Rolle (5/37 signed in 2010) and Troy Polamalu (5/33 signed in 2007) and Eric Berrys deal will likely surpass both of those significantly...I know we are trying to add players like OJ, but after such a big investment in Berry (and a lot of recent draft pick investment in the secondary in general) I just dont see this happening, no matter how much it would totally rule.

BigRock
06-02-2010, 05:10 PM
If teams like the Eagles arent interested after Marlin Jackson going down for the year, his asking price right now is too high.

That's the thing: NOBODY has been interested in the guy. He only now became an official free agent, but he's been available for months. Teams could have signed him without owing the Rams a thing. Now he's totally free and clear and there's still nobody interested?

There's gotta be something more going on than money.

BossChief
06-02-2010, 05:16 PM
That's the thing: NOBODY has been interested in the guy. He only now became an official free agent, but he's been available for months. Teams could have signed him without owing the Rams a thing. Now he's totally free and clear and there's still nobody interested?

There's gotta be something more going on than money.

I totally agree.

"There may not be much interest because his asking price may be to high with the risk involved.

I bet he is shooting for Antrel Rolle type coin... "

Mr. Laz
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
We should be focusing on signing Berry before we sign Atogwe
I would love to have him but we will never do it.
it's not rocket science, we can work on signing more than 1 player at a time.

no salary cap and even if there was a salary cap we are like 50 million UNDER the cap right now. Clark Hunt is making a killing ... looks like he is going to run the team this year on less than 60 million in salary.

How long as it been since the NFL salary cap was 60 million ... around 1999 or 2000? You can bet your ass the Chiefs are going to be charging 1999 prices for tickets or t.v. this year.

The Chiefs are going to make 80-90 million dollars this year.

Titty Meat
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah, it's kinda funny.

They want smart players, but they keep taking kids from the SEC.

I'm not sure Tyson Jackson could spell SEC if you spotted him the "S" "E" AND the "C."

Mistakes are what erasers are for.

Warrior5
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
...There's gotta be something more going on than money.

Pencil neck?

Chiefaholic
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Pencil neck?

Who is Harvey Williams for $500, Alex?

B_Ambuehl
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Check, check and check.

I guess it's because he wasn't team captain

Chiefs free agent checklist

Is he over 32? No

Is he one of the 5 slowest players in the NFL at his position? No

Is he white? No

Does he have a history with the patriots? No

Are the chiefs the only team that would even consider signing him? No

0 for 5 on chiefs FA checklist.

The Bad Guy
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Chiefs free agent checklist

Is he over 32? No

Is he one of the 5 slowest players in the NFL at his position? No

Is he white? No

Does he have a history with the patriots? No

Are the chiefs the only team that would even consider signing him? No

0 for 5 on chiefs FA checklist.

Let me know where Thomas Jones fit into your BS criteria.

The Bad Guy
06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Where's all this talk about what he's asking?

Even if he wants $10M per, and no one is biting, the number will come down - and based on his injury, it will probably come down quite a bit.

And again, if there was a cap right now, we'd be approximately $90M under it.

I understand being financially responsible, knowing there will probably be a cap re-instated at some point - but we should be all over this kid, for anything under $7M per.

I think with the amount of picks invested in the safety position, signing someone like Otowge would be slightly foolish. Eventually, you have to let DaJuan Morgan sink or swim.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I think with the amount of picks invested in the safety position, signing someone like Otowge would be slightly foolish. Eventually, you have to let DaJuan Morgan sink or swim.

http://www.lateshowuk.com/images/segments-willitfloat.JPG

OnTheWarpath15
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM

That should have happened last year, or the year before that.

Instead, Mike Brown had the THIRD most snaps in the league last year at the safety position - more than McGraw and Jarrad Page - combined. And McGraw had too many, IMO.

Hell, Page had more snaps than Morgan, and he only played what, 4 games?

Morgan was on the field so little, that he doesn't even register on the ProFootballFocus page for safeties.

(FWIW, Lawyer Milloy was "last" in snaps with 290, so we know Morgan had fewer than that.

Considering the play of Brown and McGraw, and the fact they seem hell-bent on running Page out of town, that is inexcusable.

B_Ambuehl
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Let me know where Thomas Jones fit into your BS criteria.

Some people take things entirely too seriously. Having said that, Jones would be about the only free agent signee in 2 years who didn't meet the majority of those criteria.

KCrockaholic
06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
That should have happened last year, or the year before that.

Instead, Mike Brown had the THIRD most snaps in the league last year at the safety position - more than McGraw and Jarrad Page - combined. And McGraw had too many, IMO.

Hell, Page had more snaps than Morgan, and he only played what, 4 games?

Morgan was on the field so little, that he doesn't even register on the ProFootballFocus page for safeties.

(FWIW, Lawyer Milloy was "last" in snaps with 290, so we know Morgan had fewer than that.

Considering the play of Brown and McGraw, and the fact they seem hell-bent on running Page out of town, that is inexcusable.

You do know, you can set the number of snaps that come up right? Morgan had 160 snaps, and was our best coverage Safety statistically because he was only thrown at 1 time :)

OnTheWarpath15
06-03-2010, 01:04 PM
You do know, you can set the number of snaps that come up right? Morgan had 160 snaps, and was our best coverage Safety statistically because he was only thrown at 1 time :)

I did not know that.

Thanks.

160 snaps, compared to over 2000 for Brown, McGraw and Page combined.

:facepalm:

OnTheWarpath15
06-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Now that I know I can adjust the snaps...

According to ProFootballFocus, DaJuan Morgan was statistically our best safety in every category except against the run, where he placed 2nd to Page, who only played a handful of games.

Overall:

Morgan: -2.0

Page: - 3.2

McGraw: -8.2

Brown: -9.9

Coverage:

Morgan: +1.1

Page: -2.4

Brown: -5.6

McGraw: -6.4

Against the Run

Page: -0.5

Morgan: -3.1

McGraw: -3.4

Brown: -4.1

The Bad Guy
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I would be perfectly fine with a secondary that consisted of:

Carr, Flowers, Berry, Morgan with Arenas as the nickel.

Titty Meat
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I would be perfectly fine with a secondary that consisted of:

Carr, Flowers, Berry, Morgan with Arenas as the nickel.

If Berry gets hurt that secondary is back to square one.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
If Berry gets hurt

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!