PDA

View Full Version : Life Racism is alive and doing well

burt
06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Some of you may have noticed that I moved from Olathe KS. to Palm Beach FL. There are numerous differences, but the biggest one for me is the racism. It is rampant, and EVERYWHERE!

The black folk hate the whites. The whites hate the blacks. The Mexicans refuse to talk English. The Hatians hate everyone but Hatian.

The New York/Philly transplants are very vocal about their racism. I expected that. But Black children bullying and verbally abusing white children, just for being white? That one shocked me.

This alone has really tarnished my feelings about my move significantly.

I NEVER experienced this in the KC Metro. Was I blinded? Nieve? Are any of you experiencing racism?

Marco Polo
06-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I grew up in Iowa; lived in KC for three years and have been living in St. Louis for a year and a half. I never experienced racism until I moved to St. Louis. It's pretty bad here, even in the workplace. Not so much racism in the workplace but everything is race-related.

burt
06-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I grew up in Iowa; lived in KC for three years and have been living in St. Louis for a year and a half. I never experienced racism until I moved to St. Louis. It's pretty bad here, even in the workplace. Not so much racism in the workplace but everything is race-related.

I have seen it in Walmart, the schools and the workplace here.

Mr. Kotter
06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Most people in our society are preoccupied, obsessed even, with what divides us, and focus almost entirely on our differences...and why others need to be more like us...instead of focusing on what we have in common, and how diversity is one of our strengths.

Then we act surprised when society ends up bitterly divided along race lines...

CosmicPal
06-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Most people in our society are preoccupied, obsessed even, with what divides us, and focus almost entirely on our differences...and why others need to be more like us...instead of focusing on what we have in common, and how diversity is one of our strengths.

Abe Lincoln, is that you?

:D

I couldn't agree more.

burt
06-05-2010, 09:33 AM

I saw very little of it in KC, and it does surprise me.....

Mr. Laz
06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
it's called the Heartland for a reason

RedNFeisty
06-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Racism is a very sad reality I am thankful I do not have to deal with. My son goes to a magnet school that is very rich in diversity, it use to be a Cultural History and Arts, now it is a Leadership magnet. They taught different cultures from around the world and how they differ from ours.

Deberg_1990
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Well said.

KCrockaholic
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I miss Kansas City/Olathe :(

Bugeater
06-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Mmmkay...so we can add 'no racism' to the list of wonderful things about Olathe. What would possess anyone to leave such a utopia?

Fairplay
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Someone post that pic of that little black kid saying "that's racist". That always makes lol.

Fairplay
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Mmmkay...so we can add 'no racism' to the list of wonderful things about Olathe. What would possess anyone to leave such a utopia?

Maybe paradise gets boring sometimes?

Son of Logical
06-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Of course there is racism everywhere, but I will say that when I lived in Kansas racism was more of an outside the norm idea, but when I moved to San Diego, CA. racism became a serious reality. Which I found odd, because everyone and their mother would think a midwest state would be much more racist then, the left coast of California.

Bane
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Some of you may have noticed that I moved from Olathe KS. to Palm Beach FL. There are numerous differences, but the biggest one for me is the racism. It is rampant, and EVERYWHERE!

The black folk hate the whites. The whites hate the blacks. The Mexicans refuse to talk English. The Hatians hate everyone but Hatian.

The New York/Philly transplants are very vocal about their racism. I expected that. But Black children bullying and verbally abusing white children, just for being white? That one shocked me.

I NEVER experienced this in the KC Metro. Was I blinded? Nieve? Are any of you experiencing racism?

Shocked you? Did you not have a tv or radio where you lived before?

RNR
06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
There will always be racism. It is just a natural thing for people to relate to those they are similar to. I grew up during riots and blacks and whites would end up fighting because blacks did not like peckerwoods and whites did not like niggers. We did not know why, that was just how it was. As we got to high school the fights just sort of stopped. I held a grudge for quite some time. As I got older I interacted with more black guys and we would talk about it openly. I treat every person the same and if they are cool we get along if they are an asshole we don't. Sadly many never get over racism and let it fester into a hate that consumes them and defines them~

JD10367
06-05-2010, 10:29 AM
It probably depends on where you are, even in a particular city. There are parts of the Floride southeast coast that are bad, and parts that aren't. There are neighborhoods that are bad, and some that aren't. My parents live in Boynton Beach FL and it's very clear when moving from east to west. East coast: A1A and multimillion dollar homes and mansions. From Route 1 to Route 95: mostly poor black. From Route 95 to Jog Road/Military Trail: middle- to upper-class white and retiree in gated communities, with all the shopping. From Jog/Military west: the Okechobee and sparsely settled areas, trending towards poor again. My parents live just east of 95 in a black area, but it's a fairly quiet area and no one bothers anyone else (black or white): two streets over, right next to the highway, though, is a very bad section.

Someone black once said that there's racism in both the north and south. The only difference is, up north, the racists tell you to your face. :shrug: I think it takes a long time to change peoples' attitudes. 130 years ago, blacks were property. 80 years ago, women couldn't vote. 40 to 50 years ago, there was rampant inequality and segregation. Things don't change overnight. Hopefully each generation learns better. I grew up in the 70s, when being racist was "funny". My neighborhood was literally 95% white (mostly Italian). Boston was made up of neighborhood enclaves of nationalities (Italian, Jewish, Asian, Irish, black, etc.,.) and I'm sure each enclave told racist jokes with the other nationalities as the stars. I learned as I grew up that racism is bad, and I'm not as racist as my parents and that older generation.

I'm not sure any particular city or area is more or less racist. Maybe more or less tolerant due to the numbers of other races/nationalities there, but more tolerant doesn't necessarily mean less racist; it just might mean they don't show it as well. I'm sure, in south FL, in Boston, in Kansas City--basically anywhere--you can find racists and non-racists.

Given the state of the world, I'm not sure it will ever go away. Pick an area and there's two groups fighting about something. Israeli and Palestinian, Northern Irish and Southern Irish and English, Hindu and Muslim, Christian and Muslim, indigenous and conqueror, Democrat and Republican, black and white, young and old, men and women... Gonna be a long time until the population of the world holds hands and sings "Kumbaya".

Param
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Welcome to south florida:D

OnTheWarpath15
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Everyone loves a good Polish joke, right?

Better here than anywhere, so...

Did you hear about the 2-seater Cessna that crashed in a graveyard in Poland yesterday?

So far, they've recovered 107 bodies from the wreckage.

boogblaster
06-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Being White and rural I used to say live and let be .. till I moved to different cities .. Blacks and Mexicans are more racict than Whites ....

MichaelH
06-05-2010, 11:11 AM

I live in the south and experience everything you have described minus the Haitians. I don't generally think of Florida as the south except for its geographical location but I can see racism happening there due to the influx of Cubans and Haitians.

RNR
06-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I live in the south and experience everything you have described minus the Haitians. I don't generally think of Florida as the south except for its geographical location but I can see racism happening there due to the influx of Cubans and Haitians.

What part on NC do you live in?

Mr. Laz
06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Being White and rural I used to say live and let be .. till I moved to different cities .. Blacks and Mexicans are more racist than Whites ....
by far imo

B_Ambuehl
06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Is it racism as much as it is disagreeing with what a particular group represents? Upper middle class white people often make fun of and hate on rednecks for the same reasons they hate on blacks and mexicans. Rednecks/hillbillies/white trash are usually dumb as f*ck, trash the f*ck out of everything, require government support. How racist is that? I think most racism is just an acknowledgement of differences in culture. If the cultures are the same the racism tends to go away as well.

RNR
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Is it racism as much as it is disagreeing with what a particular group represents? Upper middle class white people often make fun of and hate on rednecks for the same reasons they hate on blacks and mexicans. Rednecks/hillbillies/white trash are usually dumb as f*ck, trash the f*ck out of everything, require government support. How racist is that? I think most racism is just an acknowledgement of differences in culture. If the cultures are the same the racism tends to go away as well.

Just had to go there :harumph: :)

burt
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I have been around MANY different cultures.... and have NEVER seen anything like this.

vailpass
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I have been around MANY different cultures.... and have NEVER seen anything like this.

You didn't exactly move to the most educated part of the country.

burt
06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
You didn't exactly move to the most educated part of the country.

yeah... I am afraid that the rest of the country will vote to nullify Florida's voting rights! Sure is pretty tho......

Hey wait a minute....we play polo here!LMAO

Mr. Laz
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
watch a how Blacks react to seeing a mixed Black/white couple and then come back and talk about how it's just 'acknowledgment of differences'

Blacks pretty much hate anyone not black ... whites,jewish,puerto rican. Jews are the killer of Jesus and using money to control the world illuminati style.

Asians are racist as hell too ... they consider themselves the BEST race and people of other races are "mutts". They are almost Hitler Aryan in their attitude about their racist supremacy and the need to keep their race pure by marrying within their own race.

of course not ALL ...

vailpass
06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
yeah... I am afraid that the rest of the country will vote to nullify Florida's voting rights! Sure is pretty tho......

Hey wait a minute....we play polo here!LMAO

Sure is pretty, I agree. I have a good friend in Ft. Meyers who I visit every year, also hit the Orange/Gator/Outback bowls when Iowa plays. Love to visit Florida but there is no doubt the education system has stocked that lovely state with a preponderance of back characters from Deliverance.

Here in Arizona the public educational system doesn't exactly cover itself in glory either, bunch of no habal englise drains on the system mixed in with some failed school children. They are actually cutting funding here next year for full time kindergarten in public schools. Can you imagine? Now the kids won't even start to learn to read and write until first grade. They continue to fall further and further behind their private school counterparts.

Param
06-05-2010, 11:37 AM

But, the anchors on FOX29 are so happy though.

kitten_mittons
06-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Being White and rural I used to say live and let be .. till I moved to different cities .. Blacks and Mexicans are more racict than Whites ....

Obviously, did you see the presidential election?

Frazod
06-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the South.

Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?

burt
Sure is pretty, I agree. I have a good friend in Ft. Meyers who I visit every year, also hit the Orange/Gator/Outback bowls when Iowa plays. Love to visit Florida but there is no doubt the education system has stocked that lovely state with a preponderance of back characters from Deliverance.

Here in Arizona the public educational system doesn't exactly cover itself in glory either, bunch of no habal englise drains on the system mixed in with some failed school children. They are actually cutting funding here next year for full time kindergarten in public schools. Can you imagine? Now the kids won't even start to learn to read and write until first grade. They continue to fall further and further behind their private school counterparts.

Banjo music makes me VERY nervous.....

Donger

Maybe, but don't forget that Mexican isn't a race.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 11:41 AM
watch a how Blacks react to seeing a mixed Black/white couple and then come back and talk about how it's just 'acknowledgment of differences'

Blacks pretty much hate anyone not black ... whites,jewish,puerto rican. Jews are the killer of Jesus and using money to control the world illuminati style.

Asians are racist as hell too ... they consider themselves the BEST race and people of other races are "mutts". They are almost Hitler Aryan in their attitude about their racist supremacy and the need to keep their race pure by marrying within their own race.

of course not ALL ...

Tell us how you really feel.

burt
06-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the South.

Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?

I get that a lot... and, "Youse guys ain' from 'round here, no?" (supposed to be New York accent)

burt
06-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Doesn't mean they aren't racist.

vailpass
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Banjo music makes me VERY nervous.....

burt
06-05-2010, 12:03 PM

True story. When we were moving down here, GPS got creative and we ended up driving thru some podunk town in KY. We passed a music store....and ALL they had in the front window......banjos. Talk about stereotyping! We laughed our asses off.

crispystl
06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I only experienced limited racism (mainly in extremely rural parts) in Missouri. About 15 months ago i moved to North Carolina and racism is rampart here. It really opened my eyes as to how far we really have to go as a society.

RNR
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
I only experienced limited racism (mainly in extremely rural parts) in Missouri. About 15 months ago i moved to North Carolina and racism is rampart here. It really opened my eyes as to how far we really have to go as a society.

Where in NC?

crispystl
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Where in NC?

Davidson (a few miles north of Charlotte fairly close to South Carolina)

Pablo
06-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Of course there is racism everywhere, but I will say that when I lived in Kansas racism was more of an outside the norm idea, but when I moved to San Diego, CA. racism became a serious reality. Which I found odd, because everyone and their mother would think a midwest state would be much more racist then, the left coast of California.

Well it helps that KS is about 95% white. Race conflicts tend to happen when there's enough of each race to hold their ground.

RNR
06-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Davidson (a few miles north of Charlotte fairly close to South Carolina)

I am just wondering because I am weighing a job offer in Kinston~

crispystl
06-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I am just wondering because I am weighing a job offer in Kinston~

Where is Kinston? I'll tell you one thing the weather is beautiful here. It's always warm and sunny. North Carolina is much warmer than I anticipated.

RNR
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Where is Kinston? I'll tell you one thing the weather is beautiful here. It's always warm and sunny. North Carolina is much warmer than I anticipated.

Southeast I believe. I have heard good things, but would like to talk to a local or two to see what it is like~

crispystl
06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Southeast I believe. I have heard good things, but would like to talk to a local or two to see what it is like~

Also there are a lot more people here than I thought there would be. Anywhere you guys is freaking packed.

Dave Lane
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM

The real issue is that Miami has a large racial Hispanic minority that is scaring the majority white and black populations. This causes more friction than normal between the races as all of them suddenly feel threatened by the other races.

Rain Man
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Well it helps that KS is about 95% white. Race conflicts tend to happen when there's enough of each race to hold their ground.

I agree. If the minority populations are small enough, you don't end up with segregated housing, you don't end up with segregated social gatherings, and people tend to deal with each other as individuals.

MichaelH
06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
What part on NC do you live in?

I live in Gastonia, just west of Charlotte.

MichaelH
06-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Hey RNR,
I don't live in Kinston but my Uncle did. It's in the Eastern part of the state, which is much different from where I live. Agriculture is very big there and it's very flat. Also, the coast is only about 1 hour east. My Uncle owned a cottage first on Atlantic Beach then on Emerald Isle.

RNR
06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey RNR,
I don't live in Kinston but my Uncle did. It's in the Eastern part of the state, which is much different from where I live. Agriculture is very big there and it's very flat. Also, the coast is only about 1 hour east. My Uncle owned a cottage first on Atlantic Beach then on Emerald Isle.

Ihave heard it is nice and I am leaning toward taking the job~

googlegoogle
06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Think the rampant crime and violence in PB may have anything to do with it. Hmmm?

People do have family or friends affected by it. It's easy to call nervous scared people racists isn't it. Very convenient for you.

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=West+Palm+Beach&state=FL
http://www.wpbf.com/news/10785798/detail.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-palm-beach-boca-raton-boynton/69470-more-than-100-gangs-operate-palm-2.html

HolmeZz
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
This thread makes me glad I don't live anywhere near some of you idiots.

BWillie
06-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Racism is a very sad reality I am thankful I do not have to deal with. My son goes to a magnet school that is very rich in diversity, it use to be a Cultural History and Arts, now it is a Leadership magnet. They taught different cultures from around the world and how they differ from ours.

Just because you are in a diverse environment doesn't mean there isn't racism though. Alot of the places that are predominantly white or even predominantly black have a stigmata of being more racist. Alot of times it's not necessarily the case because they have nothing to be racist about and they don't mettle w/ people that are different than them all that often.

soopamanluva
06-05-2010, 09:57 PM

yeah. The stuff floating around here is rediculous

burt
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Could you be more specific?

soopamanluva
06-05-2010, 10:03 PM

of course not ALL ...

And by your logic whites hate everyone thats not white because they destroy everyone they come in contact with....See what i did there?

That BS logic and you know it. You make SWEEPING generalizations about people you know nothing about, then add a disclaimer at the end.

BryanBusby
06-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Was engaged and planning to get married to a woman whose parents immigrated from Japan. Her parents loved me until they found out about the engagement, and all of a sudden they did a total 180. She couldn't deal with not having her parents blessing, so it didn't work out.

Even with going through all of that, I didn't find them to be racist. Always thought they were just overly protective when it came to their dying nationalism.

Ugly Duck
06-06-2010, 08:25 AM

of course not ALL ...

In my neck of the woods Asian/White couples represent the largest interracial marriage group by far. Lately there's been a lot of Mexican/White co-mingling as well, but Asian/White is solidly entrenched as a norm. We're mixing it up pretty good around here in the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife is Japanese American & she is hands-down my favorite person of all time. Interesting that there is a lot of Black/White co-mingling when they are young, but the relationships don't seem to endure as much as Asian/White or Mexican/White. Dunno why that is....

Ugly Duck
06-06-2010, 08:33 AM

True, but in California the vast majority of folks that we call "Mexican" are South American Indians, not people genetically derived from white Spanish conquistadors.

"Native American populations exhibit almost exclusively five mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups (A-D and X). Haplogroups A-D are also frequent in Asia, suggesting a northeastern Asian origin of these lineages."