PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sac is gonna love this one...

BossChief
06-05-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Insider-Blog-Pledge-Your-Allegiance/64fae0fb-c0d1-4d54-ae57-93da60ed148b

When the Chiefs went on the clock April 22nd, most assumed that Kansas City’s selection came down to a two-horse race. There were a few third-party candidates receiving whispers, but when both Eric Berry and Russell Okung were available at number five, most thought it was going to be one or the other who ended the night in a Chiefs uniform. As it turns out, that’s exactly what happened.

The Chiefs obviously selected Berry with the fifth overall selection and, from what it sounds like, there wasn’t much debate once the clock started ticking.

“I think the problem was for us, we didn’t know how things were going to fall,” GM Scott Pioli said at the time. “Even when you’re that close, we had no idea what was going to happen ahead of us. You go through those couple of scenarios as to what might happen, what might not happen and we felt if (Eric) was the player that was there when we were getting ready to pick, (Eric) was the player we wanted and that we were going to go with.”

Even so, most still assume that the second player on the board outside Berry, at that time, was one of the offensive tackles – namely Okung or possibly Bryan Bulaga. Drafting an offensive tackle at number five was discussed for countless hours by those outside of the Chiefs organization leading up to draft day and each of those exchanges centered around a scenario that saw left tackle Branden Albert shifting to another position.

After hearing what head coach Todd Haley had to say about Albert earlier this week, it’s hard not to wonder if the general assumption that the Chiefs debated between Berry and Okung is completely false.

“I mean it is fun stuff to talk about in the off-season, but it is probably a little more for (the media) than all than us,” Haley said when asked if he debating switching Albert’s position this off-season. “I don’t want to insinuate in any way that I was down (on Branden).”

After suffering what many are dubbing a “sophomore slump” in 2009, the idea of switching Albert to the right edge, or possibly even inside to his college position of guard, were natural off-season topics. Albert’s sacks allowed total doubled from 4.5 in his rookie season to 9.0 a year ago.

“I think that he was like all the other guys – everything was new,” Haley said of Albert’s 2009 season. “He had a new position coach, he had a new coordinator, he had a new head coach. Everything was new, and by the way he happens to be going against some pretty big-time competition.”

While some thought that the Chiefs’ new staff might have lost confidence in Albert after one season in getting to know one another, the exact opposite occurred on draft day. Not only did the Chiefs pass on Okung at number five, but they also passed on the likes of 16 other tackles that were selected at picks 36 or later (the Chiefs first second-round pick was used on Dexter McCluster at number 36).

Utah’s Zane Beadles was chosen 45th overall - passed

USC’s Charles Brown was selected 64th overall – passed

Vlad Ducasse out of UMass at 61 –passed

The list goes on. By the end of the three-day draft, Kansas City had pledged their allegiance to Albert.

“He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do to be able to take that next step,” Haley said of Albert. “I think that’s where his eyes are – becoming a real good player and again, we’ll see. This is just the off-season but he has done everything to this point to continue to get better.”

The Chiefs offense needs big things out of Albert this season and they also need to him be healthy. A glimpse at the depth behind Albert and Ryan O’Callaghan is bleak when it comes to NFL experience.

Swing man Ikechuku Ndukwe offers experienced depth at both guard and tackle, but all of Kansas City’s “true tackles” behind Albert and O’Callaghan are developmental players. The time is now for Barry Richardson, a big-bodied prospect who has been part of the organization for two seasons without much game experience on the line. All of the other players competing for depth at tackle are either rookie free agents or first-year players who have never seen a regular season snap.

A commitment has been made to Branden Albert, both verbally and via off-season actions taken by the club. There are no distractions. All he has to focus on is being the best player possible in 2010.

“I’m expected big things out of Branden Albert,” Haley said.

KurtCobain
06-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I got Branden's back.

milkman
06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I got Brandon's back.

No one has argued more vehemently for BA than I have.

KurtCobain
06-05-2010, 09:38 PM

I don't like to argue much, so thankyou.

-King-
06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I got Brandon's back.

Who the fuck is brandon?

milkman
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Who the **** is brandon?

Flowers.

Dumbass.

:D

-King-
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Flowers.

Dumbass.

:D

Carr.

Smartass.

BarrySPAMAID
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Me too Milkman. I've been saying for a long time that Brandon Albert was the Left tackle, and that he was going to be JUST fine. He will be. He was never getting moved, even though everyone tried to make every argument they could to justify taking a tackle with the 5th pick.

I'll tell ya another guy who is going to be fine too..

That's Barry Richardson. Look for him to emerge at Right tackle in camp.

RustShack
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM

I was up there.

milkman
06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Me too Milkman. I've been saying for a long time that Brandon Albert was the Left tackle, and that he was going to be JUST fine. He will be. He was never getting moved, even though everyone tried to make every argument they could to justify taking a tackle with the 5th pick.

I'll tell ya another guy who is going to be fine too..

That's Barry Richardson. Look for him to emerge at Right tackle in camp.

I'd love to see it (Richardson), because he has the talent to be very good, and he played better in the last preseason than most have given him credit for.

However, if he couldn't win the job last year, I have a hard time seeing him win it this year.

OnTheWarpath15
06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I'd love to see it (Richardson), because he has the talent to be very good, and he played better in the last preseason than most have given him credit for.

However, if he couldn't win the job last year, I have a hard time seeing him win it this year.

If we've learned anything in the first year of the Pioli/Haley era, it's that the best player doesn't necessarily win the job.

Then again, that could have been the subtle point you were trying to make.

milkman
06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
If we've learned anything in the first year of the Pioli/Haley era, it's that the best player doesn't necessarily win the job.

Subtlety really isn't my forte, but I figured someone would catch it.

chiefzilla1501
06-06-2010, 03:27 PM

That's stuff we learned about the first year of the era.

It remains to be seen if things change with Weis and Crennel calling a lot more of the shots.

And yes, I don't see Richardson winning the job. I still don't understand why he was cut over Herb Taylor, who I thought added much better Tackle depth.

milkman
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
That's stuff we learned about the first year of the era.

It remains to be seen if things change with Weis and Crennel calling a lot more of the shots.

And yes, I don't see Richardson winning the job. I still don't understand why he was cut over Herb Taylor, who I thought added much better Tackle depth.

Taylor added much better depth across the line, was more versatile than Richardson, and I still believe if they had tried to work him out at center that he could have become a very good one.

But he isn't nearly as naturally talented at tackle as Barry Richardson.

BossChief
06-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Cutting Herb Taylor still baffles me. Same with Wade Smith (though he wasnt cut, just not resigned)

milkman
06-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Cutting Herb Taylor still baffles me. Same with Wade Smith (though he wasnt cut, just not resigned)

Well, we had Itchyass Nsukwe in our sights.

KC_Riot
06-06-2010, 03:36 PM
do you deliver milk to people? LMAO

Marcellus
06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Drafting an offensive tackle at number five was discussed for countless hours by those outside of the Chiefs organization leading up to draft day and each of those exchanges centered around a scenario that saw left tackle Branden Albert shifting to another position.

This sure caused a lot of noise here for apparently no real reason. They wanted Berry the whole time.

I suppose last years pick at #3 was the reason people were convinced they could go LT.

RustShack
06-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Herb Taylor has been on a few other teams after here and couldn't make it there either..

Mr. Laz
06-06-2010, 04:05 PM
i don't know if the Chiefs ever planned on selecting an OT or moving Albert but regardless of what they considered they aren't going to admit it now.

"berry was our guy all along"
"albert was our guy all along"

What the hell else they gonna say now?

Whomever they drafted was "the guy" all along. :shrug:

Tiger's Fan
06-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Mecca was certain we were taking Bulaga. Yeah.

BossChief
06-06-2010, 04:40 PM
i don't know if the Chiefs ever planned on selecting an OT or moving Albert but regardless of what they considered they aren't going to admit it now.

"berry was our guy all along"
"albert was our guy all along"

What the hell else they gonna say now?

Whomever they drafted was "the guy" all along. :shrug:

couldn't have said it better myself.

BossChief
06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Mecca was certain we were taking Bulaga. Yeah.

geez man, do you spend your whole day thinking about OTWP, Hamas and Mecca? It seems all of your posts are nothing but stabs at them, all the while never offering YOUR take on the subject to open yourself up to be wrong.

Whats the point of posting here at all if that is all your gonna/have do/done?

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
geez man, do you spend your whole day thinking about OTWP, Hamas and Mecca? It seems all of your posts are nothing but stabs at them, all the while never offering YOUR take on the subject to open yourself up to be wrong.

Welcome to the Majesty of Bust My Hyman.

Saccopoo
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
“I’m expected big things out of Branden Albert,” Haley said.

I think we all expect big things out of Albert. However, so far, it hasn't happened and I think that the Chiefs fucked themselves so to speak in not addressing the obvious issues at the tackle positions, where Albert and Seamus O'Murphy were near the bottom of the heap in terms of performance for the '09 season. And considering that we now have miniscule depth at the position, with Black Bear rookie UDFA Tyler Eastman as the most promising backup player at that position, the Chiefs are screwed if any type of injury pops up and sidelines marginally bad players Albert and O'Murphy.

Likewise, if Albert doesn't do "big things" this next season, the Chiefs will almost be forced to address the position in '11 where the drop off in talent from the '09 and '10 draft class is huge and forces the Chiefs away from top skill position players at the QB and WR positions, where there is going to be some amazing talent the next year or two.

Taking Jackson, and to an extent Berry is going to severely hamper the growth of the Chiefs offensively if Albert doesn't achieve "big things" in the '10 season - his third full year of starting in the league. If he doesn't get it by year three as a starter, he's never going to get it.

Ralphy Boy
06-07-2010, 04:05 PM
I seem to recall the majority of regulars on here believing we wouldn't draft an o-lineman, whereas the "true fans" thought we would.

Tiger's Fan
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Wow. You're taking this Herm firing harder than I thought you would.

Buck up lil soldier, your hero landed on his feet, where he belongs. Talking about football, although still like the dumbass he always was.

milkman
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I think we all expect big things out of Albert. However, so far, it hasn't happened and I think that the Chiefs ****ed themselves so to speak in not addressing the obvious issues at the tackle positions, where Albert and Seamus O'Murphy were near the bottom of the heap in terms of performance for the '09 season. And considering that we now have miniscule depth at the position, with Black Bear rookie UDFA Tyler Eastman as the most promising backup player at that position, the Chiefs are screwed if any type of injury pops up and sidelines marginally bad players Albert and O'Murphy.

Likewise, if Albert doesn't do "big things" this next season, the Chiefs will almost be forced to address the position in '11 where the drop off in talent from the '09 and '10 draft class is huge and forces the Chiefs away from top skill position players at the QB and WR positions, where there is going to be some amazing talent the next year or two.

Taking Jackson, and to an extent Berry is going to severely hamper the growth of the Chiefs offensively if Albert doesn't achieve "big things" in the '10 season - his third full year of starting in the league. If he doesn't get it by year three as a starter, he's never going to get it.

You'll pardon me if I don't give a rat's ass.

Even if Albert were to not achieve big things, to pass on a QB in this next draft if Cassel shits the bed as expected would be moronic.

And you, of course, would be just the moron that would do it.

BossChief
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow. You're taking this Herm firing harder than I thought you would.

Buck up lil soldier, your hero landed on his feet, where he belongs. Talking about football, although still like the dumbass he always was.

You must love all the rest of my takes because all you ever come back with, to my comments towards you, are either Thigpen or Herm based...get some new material if you're gonna hate, son.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Even if Albert were to not achieve big things, to pass on a QB in this next draft if Cassel shits the bed as expected would be moronic.

WE SHALL NOT PASS!

Saccopoo
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Hey, I'm already in the draft a quarterback out of this class. I was the first guy, other than maybe Hamas, who was on a quarterback in either 2011 or 2012 depending on underclassmen entering the draft. You bandwagon jumpers simply don't get that the Chiefs have not addressed the offensive tackle issue the past two drafts and if Albert doesn't "get it," they'll have to look long and hard about addressing the issue in either of those drafts sooner rather than later which will screw the Chiefs out of getting a real potential franchise QB (versus half assing it with guys like Sanchez or Clausen like the vast majority of you people wanted in the hopes of just drafting anything that resembled a QB in the first round versus waiting and getting a real, qualified first round QB prospect).

The moron is the guy that passes on talent like Oher and Okung and picks Jackson and a safety (regardless of Berry's talent, he's a safety and ranks right above long snapper in terms of importance) and subsequently screws themselves when a legit QB prospect is available because it's only then that they have the (lack of) foresight to see that they should have picked a good OT when they had the chance.

I don't pass on franchise level QB's. I also don't get a raging hard on for any schmuck that comes down the pike.

Fish
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey, I'm already in the draft a quarterback out of this class. I was the first guy, other than maybe Hamas, who was on a quarterback in either 2011 or 2012 depending on underclassmen entering the draft. You bandwagon jumpers

LMAO.... milkman... fresh on the bandwagon...... a regular Chiefs noob... yup.. certainly....

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey, I'm already in the draft a quarterback out of this class.
I don't pass on franchise level QB's. I also don't get a raging hard on for any schmuck that comes down the pike.\

Dear God it's a MIRACLE! :clap: :D

I was the first guy

Don't push it, brah.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
This guy is STILL pimping Okung :doh!:

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
This guy is STILL pimping Okung :doh!:

It's a Process.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
It's a Process.

He needs a 12 step addiction one. Step one remove ones head from ass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
He needs a 12 step addiction one. Step one remove ones head from ass.

Now, now; we must encourage his development at this stage. He appears to be responding to treatment quite well. Let's not agitate.:D

milkman
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey, I'm already in the draft a quarterback out of this class. I was the first guy, other than maybe Hamas, who was on a quarterback in either 2011 or 2012 depending on underclassmen entering the draft. You bandwagon jumpers simply don't get that the Chiefs have not addressed the offensive tackle issue the past two drafts and if Albert doesn't "get it," they'll have to look long and hard about addressing the issue in either of those drafts sooner rather than later which will screw the Chiefs out of getting a real potential franchise QB (versus half assing it with guys like Sanchez or Clausen like the vast majority of you people wanted in the hopes of just drafting anything that resembled a QB in the first round versus waiting and getting a real, qualified first round QB prospect).

The moron is the guy that passes on talent like Oher and Okung and picks Jackson and a safety (regardless of Berry's talent, he's a safety and ranks right above long snapper in terms of importance) and subsequently screws themselves when a legit QB prospect is available because it's only then that they have the (lack of) foresight to see that they should have picked a good OT when they had the chance.

I don't pass on franchise level QB's. I also don't get a raging hard on for any schmuck that comes down the pike.

Good lord, you are a fucking idiot.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Good lord, you are a fucking idiot.

"NO" AGITATING, DAMNIT!!!! "NO"! ROFL