PDA

View Full Version : Football Aaron Rodgers Arse Rapes Tony Kornheiser

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Rodgers Says Kornheiser Doesn't 'Know Anything About Sports
By Ryan Wilson
6/08/2010 10:30 AM ET

Aaron Rodgers has quietly become one of the NFL's best quarterbacks. And while his on-field talents aren't all that different from his predecessor in Green Bay, off the field Rodgers manages to avoid the spotlight and controversy. I suspect it's by design but either way, it makes him even more likable.

Adding to his Joe Everyman mystique: Rodgers' thoughts on Tony Kornheiser's stint in the Monday Night Football booth parallels that of most fans subjected to Mr. Tony's musings during that time. Speaking on ESPN Radio Milwaukee, Rodgers offered this frank assessment. (Via Sports Radio Interviews)

"You know who was better than Tony Kornheiser? Dennis Miller was ten times better. Dennis Miller was a great comedian, but one of the worst Monday Night Football guys ever. And he was ten times better than Tony Kornheiser.

His stuff was actually funny. Tony's stuff wasn't funny at all. He did no research. We'd sit in those production meetings and he would add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd be like, 'What are we doing here? This is stupid.'

... You get in there with Tony and he's asking you all these dumb questions that have no application to the game you are playing or anything you are doing. He's terrible... I don't think he's funny. I don't think he's insightful. I don't think knows anything about sports."

And that, folks, is a beatdown. The thing is, it's not like Rodgers was embellishing; a lot of people watching MNF complained weekly about those same issues -- Kornheiser sounded like a buffoon, he acted like he didn't understand football, he offered nothing to the telecast.

Otherwise, his two years and endless whinging was a fantastic adventure. (Of course, when Joe Theismann is on the right side of an argument -- and ESPN later agrees -- it might be time to move on.)

This isn't the first time Rodgers has called out the media. And in both instances, he's exactly right.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/06/08/rodgers-says-kornheiser-doesnt-know-anything-about-sports/?synd=fanhouse

DonTellMeShowMe
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I like Rodgers. And I like that he is calling these guys out...hope he continues to keep it legit

ArrowheadHawk
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah. Fuck Kornheiser.

Frazod
06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I've always contended that Kornheiser had serious dirt on somebody high up at ESPN or ABC or both - he was absolutely awful. It was obvious that nobody else in the booth liked him either - hell, he made Theismann look like a genious. I had never heard of him before and hope I never hear from him again.

Bearcat
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I completely agree. I always thought he was just an annoying devil's advocate on PTI and wasn't really that stupid, but he proved me wrong. It's crazy that you can be in an industry for as long as he's been covering sports and be that f***ing clueless. If I sat next to two Thai speaking rocket scientists everyday for a week, I could pick up more about rocket science than he's picked up about sports in his 40 year career.

blaise
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Kornheiser doesn't know that much about sports. He used to poke fun at himself about it on his old radio show. They would do a lead in with something like, "And now, more in depth, hard-core sports talk." He used to write a good column for the Washington Post. I think he's good in certain situations like PTI. I didn't think he was good on MNF. The whole thing was just dumb. "Let's get Tony and Joe in there and hijinks will ensue!" It's the sort of contrived back and forth that ESPN does that I really hate.

Fish
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Rodgers +1......

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Tony, Pardon the Interruption, but you suck!

milkman
06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
PTI was just an irritating show.

Tony Kornheiser sucks ass.

DJ's left nut
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Could be worse - it could've been Woody Page, Skip Bayless or Jay Mariotti.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I like Kornheiser

MoreLemonPledge
06-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I like Kornheiser

Facepalm picture.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Kornhole sucked so bad it was my last straw with MNF. Leave it to the morons at espn to put a complete idiot like kornhole in the booth. Hell, I thought Dennis Miller was pathetic and then the bring in a clueless tool like kornhole.

MNF needs less morons in the booth, not more. fuggen pathetic, I hate espn.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
PTI was just an irritating show.

Tony Kornheiser sucks ass.

Was? Is.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
My favorite MNF announcer is John Gruden.

Param
06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I like Kornheiser

I give him credit though. Went from a columnist to this. Everybody in the sports world knows who he is.

milkman
Was? Is.

Okay.

I rarely turn on ESPN anymore, so I didn't know that it was still on the air.

Param

Don't care for him... Just found him annoying

Sure-Oz
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I give him credit though. Went from a columnist to this. Everybody in the sports world knows who he is.

Hannah Storm definetly does

Param
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Hannah Storm definetly does

It's nice to see some sex appeal on ESPN compared to the old days. tony probably got the brush off from her. The dude is fucking ugly.

I approve

http://rocknjocksblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/HannahStorm.jpg

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Don't care for him... Just found him annoying

I like him because has an extremely intelligent football mind... Actually now that I think about it, I like Jaws more than Gruden.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Aaron Rodgers is so awesome.

Frazod
06-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Jay Mariotti wouldn't go anywhere he might actually run into a professional athlete without armed guards.

Psyko Tek
06-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Jaws is great
someday soon
he will have his own video games
JAWS FOOTBALL 2013

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Jaws is great
someday soon
he will have his own video games
JAWS FOOTBALL 2013

I hope it's better than Madden.

I still play Madden, even now...But that's just cause I love football, and it's my only way to get through the off-season.

With that said, Madden is balls right now.

CoMoChief
06-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I hope it's better than Madden.

I still play Madden, even now...But that's just cause I love football, and it's my only way to get through the off-season.

With that said, Madden is balls right now.

play the college game.....better than madden.

Bwana
06-09-2010, 07:47 AM
On the money. Kornheiser was a bad as it gets. It got so bad, I would turn off the sound when watching games. The guy is a first class douche and about as funny as a heart attack.

MOhillbilly
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
sunday night is where its at. monday night isnt the same.

MOhillbilly
06-09-2010, 07:50 AM
On the money. Kornheiser was a bad as it gets. It got so bad, I would turn off the sound when watching games. The guy is a first class douche and about as funny as a heart attack.

I turn the sound off on the tv and listen to the radio broadcast whenever possible. Makes it much more enjoyable.

blaise
06-09-2010, 07:53 AM
sunday night is where its at. monday night isnt the same.

Yes, SNF is far superior. That has something to do with them getting better games, but aside from that it's still a better broadcast.
Although there's too many people in the SNF halftime show.

Bwana
06-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I turn the sound off on the tv and listen to the radio broadcast whenever possible. Makes it much more enjoyable.

I know it worked well in my case, if old Tony Boy was on the air. :shake:

DMAC
06-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I really liked Vermeil and Jaws on that doubleheader.

Brock
06-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Aaron Rodgers points out the sky is blue.

nychief
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
yeah, he knows nothing about sports... having covered them for 30 years as beat writer for the New York Times and a columnist for the Washington Post. He is an acquired taste, I get it... but to say he knows nothing is idiotic. Also, why are we talking about this NOW? He is no longer on MNF.

Radar Chief
06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
You know when it’s obvious you really suck at your job? When someone states, and pretty much everyone agrees, that Dennis Miller was better at it.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
What is Aaron Rodgers looking to gain from these statements?

Crush
06-09-2010, 09:44 AM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/all-sports-to-cease-so-skip-bayless-has-nothing-to,17267/

All Sports To Cease So Skip Bayless Has Nothing To Talk About

NEW YORK—Expressing regret that joyless, wrongheaded ESPN commentator and attack journalist Skip Bayless could not be dealt with otherwise, commissioners from every major professional sporting league, top officials of amateur athletic associations, and representatives of player unions reached an agreement Wednesday to end the practice of competitive sports in order to forever deprive Bayless of any subject matter.

"It's a shame that it had to come to this, but there's just no other way to stop Skip Bayless than to stop playing sports," Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said in his final statement before forever closing the books on the national pastime. "Ending baseball is a tragedy, but if our sacrifice means Bayless stops spewing his petty, hateful vitriol, it will all be worth it."

"Will we miss football? Of course we will," said NFL Players Association president Kevin Mawae, who confirmed that professional football players would join all other pro athletes in turning in their uniforms and shredding their playbooks by May 1. "It's all most of us know. But for a long time now, there's been a feeling that football wasn't worth playing as long as Skip Bayless was able to take these ridiculously adversarial devil's-advocate stances purely to rile up viewers and get attention. It's better this way."

As part of the universal agreement to silence Bayless, Major League Baseball will discontinue all play Saturday night after Bayless has gone to bed; the NBA and NHL will announce their cessation at an unspecified time this weekend to deny Bayless an opportunity to nastily criticize their playoff pictures; and NASCAR will quietly close down once and for all Friday before Bayless can make some strident but idiotic statement about the sport as if he watched it all the time and were not simply reacting to something he had read that day.

By the end of this month, all high school gymnasiums will be permanently locked up, every swimming pool filled with concrete, and all soccer and baseball fields paved over to prevent anyone from ever trying to hold any vaguely athletic event about which Bayless could possibly make the smallest disparaging remark.

In addition, all related sanctioning bodies, sponsors, and athletic associations have agreed to help stanch the corrosive blather originating from within Bayless by canceling, at every level, all NCAA athletics; Little League Baseball; the Scripps National Spelling Bee; Dancing With The Stars; Scottish Highland games; the Indy Racing League; the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show; the Boston, New York, and Chicago marathons; and soccer's World Cup.

"I love sports," said 85-year-old Brooklyn resident Myron Bell. "I love all the New York teams, and there's been nothing better in my life than sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon and watching the games on television. But by God, this is the best news I've heard in years."

According to sources familiar with the agreement, Bayless is expected to fume and fulminate through the weekend about whatever sports remain. After all athletic competition ceases to be, it is predicted he will rail, harangue, and whine like a spoiled child for several more days, complaing over the fact that sports has indeed ended. However, most say that after roughly a week without an outlet for his disdain and hatred, Bayless will begin to choke on his own bile and be silenced for good, living the rest of his years silently curled around his bone-deep contempt for all that is pleasurable and good.

Officials said that to prevent Bayless from emerging once again to "make that prim little mirthless half-smile he puts on when he pretends to listen to other people talk," all children must burn their baseball gloves, tennis rackets, basketballs, and any sports-related equipment by 2 p.m. next Sunday.

"Sport, of course, should be an exultation of the human spirit, a coming-together of all people, and a celebration of what humanity is capable of—in short, a symbol of what is best in each of us," said International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge, who announced that the eternal Olympic flame in Lausanne, Switzerland, would be forever extinguished this weekend. "Unfortunately, the poisonous words and deeds of Skip Bayless have ruined this, for all men, for all time."

Bayless, 58, began his infamous career as a locally hated sports journalist, writing for newspapers in Miami, Los Angeles, and Dallas. After Bayless appeared on ESPN's Jim Rome Is Burning, where he instantly eclipsed Rome as America's least-appealing sports commentator, the network offered Bayless the chance to be infuriating and wrong about sports on a daily basis as a despicable fixture on sports talk show Cold Pizza, which in turn led to loudmouth contrarian stints on First Take and 1st and 10. Soon, the smug, smirking Bayless had made ESPN's daily programming all but unwatchable.

"Frankly, ESPN deserves a large share of the blame. That's why we are shutting the network down as of tomorrow," ESPN president George Bodenheimer said. "We can only hope our sacrifice will be enough. Luckily, knowing Skip, I don't believe he will be able to think of anything to say if he doesn't have sports to denigrate, run down, or throw under the bus."

"I know you are wondering why we employed him in the first place," Bodenheimer added. "And so are we. But I think in a weird way we just felt bad for the guy."

Bayless was not approached for comment.

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Not a big fan of kornheiser, but he didn't bother me that much either. I actually liked Dennis Miller though. I like the idea of having a comedian in the booth for MNF. They should get the Sklar(sp?) brothers, they're funny and knowledgeable about sports.

Tracy Morgan would be good too, or Chelsea Handler because that broad is sexy and funny.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I can't fucking stand bayless, Paige, mariotti, that fool from the LA times, or cowlishaw. Around the horn is a cool concept but they have some annoying motherfuckers on that show.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
How about we just leave it the way it is, with a couple of ex-jocks and a play by play man.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
If Norman Chad knows anything about football, I think he would be great! I think he's a huge reason why watching poker on TV is entertaining.

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
How about we just leave it the way it is, with a couple of ex-jocks and a play by play man.

Bo-ring. Its MNF, they need something special to bring in the casual fans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
06-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I liked Miller as well. He was sort of an everyman in the booth, cracking the occasional joke but not butting in when the other commentators were discussing things over his head.

I also think that Dennis Miller has forgotten more about football than Kornheiser will ever know.

Brock
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

F*ck the casual fans.

InChiefsHeaven
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I can't believe how hard it is to find 3 guys that can handle a broadcast. I like Gruden, Jaws is fine, Kornholer needed to go. It just shouldn't be that damn hard...maybe they should get Trent Green in there...

Frazod
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I can't believe how hard it is to find 3 guys that can handle a broadcast. I like Gruden, Jaws is fine, Kornholer needed to go. It just shouldn't be that damn hard...maybe they should get Trent Green in there...

I think Green would be a fantastic booth guy. It seemed like they were grooming him for that a few years ago towards the end his days with us, but unfortunately he kept playing (badly) too long and hurt his stock.

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
F*ck the casual fans.

I wouldn't consider myself a casual fan, but I want some entertainment when it comes to MNF. Most ex players that are commentators suck ass. The halfway decent ones do the pre/postgame and halftime from the studio.
Posted via Mobile Device

jspchief
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Kornheiser's radio show wasn't bad. He was open about how clueless he was about sports, but the show was still entertaining for the most part. I imagine the style fit his columns well too.

The problem is TV isn't print or radio. It's like asking a marathoner to run sprints... completely different skill set.

Crush
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't consider myself a casual fan, but I want some entertainment when it comes to MNF. Most ex players that are commentators suck ass. The halfway decent ones do the pre/postgame and halftime from the studio.
Posted via Mobile Device

The game should be the entertainment. All of the other shit is completely unnecessary. I don't need see the celebrity of the week in the booth. I don't want the fucking Backstreet Boys playing at halftime during the Super Bowl. I just want to watch a football game that is announced by people who know what the fuck that they are talking about.

Frazod
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
The game should be the entertainment. All of the other shit is completely unnecessary. I don't need see the celebrity of the week in the booth. I don't want the fucking Backstreet Boys playing at halftime during the Super Bowl. I just want to watch a football game that is announced by people who know what the fuck that they are talking about.

AMEN. :clap:

Brock
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

The game is the entertainment. If you're not sufficiently entertained by it, you're a casual fan.

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Good for you. I want a comedian in the MNF booth. Does anyone really want the backstreet boys to play halftime? Seriously, I know I have different musical tastes than most on this board, and I think its largely a generational thing, but we can all agree on this at least I would hope.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
The game is the entertainment. If you're not sufficiently entertained by it, you're a casual fan.

Ok buddy. You're completely wrong. Its not a matter of being sufficiently entertained, its about having a preference. Regardless of who they put in there, I'm going to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

DonTellMeShowMe
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Gruden is way legit...smart guy, typically a straight up guy no bs.

Although on draft day, got kinda annoying with him and Steve Young bro-raping each other by kinda talking over one another

Demonpenz
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I can't stand commentators as it is. I have seen enough football to puke pickskin. I know what is going on, if not then I mute the zztop and turn up the tv.

InChiefsHeaven
06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I think Green would be a fantastic booth guy. It seemed like they were grooming him for that a few years ago towards the end his days with us, but unfortunately he kept playing (badly) too long and hurt his stock.

I guess he will be doing Chiefs pre-season broadcasting. I'd bet he'll find his way to the national scene somehow, he's too "pretty" not to. Course, I suppose Lenny the Cool will be retiring at some point in the near future, maybe Trent will take over for him...

HemiEd
06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Could a beat down get any lower than to say Dennis Miller was better? He is the worst.

I would take Kornheiser any day over Miller.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Why? Casual fans are gay.

Frazod
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I guess he will be doing Chiefs pre-season broadcasting. I'd bet he'll find his way to the national scene somehow, he's too "pretty" not to. Course, I suppose Lenny the Cool will be retiring at some point in the near future, maybe Trent will take over for him...

I would have no problem with that, either.

fan4ever
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
The media is a weird thing; how many years did we have to endure Bill Walton until the networks figured out people hated him?

Funny, now even Verizon has an ad showing none of his kids have him on their phones.

Rausch
06-09-2010, 02:25 PM

This.

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Didn't MNF broadcast a game once with no announcers at all?

kysirsoze
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Could a beat down get any lower than to say Dennis Miller was better? He is the worst.

I would take Kornheiser any day over Miller.

I actually kinda liked Miller. I could see why it didn't work, but I liked him.

Dayze
06-09-2010, 02:50 PM
my favs;
Gruden, Jaws, Tirico, Patrick, Michaels

can't stand:
Gannon, Cross, Johnston, Aikman, Wilcotts

Valiant
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
One thing I have always wanted as a fan watching on tv.. Opposing knowledgeable fans in the booth with the announcer for an entire game..

They could run a contest for each team for one or two fans that know everything about their team and football.. Put them into the booth against whatever rival fan that week and the announcer as the mediator to keep the conversation going..

Think it would be great when the Chiefs play the Raiders..

milkman
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Not a big fan of kornheiser, but he didn't bother me that much either. I actually liked Dennis Miller though. I like the idea of having a comedian in the booth for MNF. They should get the Sklar(sp?) brothers, they're funny and knowledgeable about sports.

Tracy Morgan would be good too, or Chelsea Handler because that broad is sexy and funny.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Scalar(sp) brothers?
Funny?

They suck ass.

They are just irritating idiots.

CHENZ A!
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
The Scalar(sp) brothers?
Funny?

They suck ass.

They are just irritating idiots.

I don't think you spelled it right either, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same people judging by your sense of humor.

InChiefsHeaven
06-10-2010, 06:01 AM
One thing I have always wanted as a fan watching on tv.. Opposing knowledgeable fans in the booth with the announcer for an entire game..

They could run a contest for each team for one or two fans that know everything about their team and football.. Put them into the booth against whatever rival fan that week and the announcer as the mediator to keep the conversation going..

Yeah, I had this talk with a friend years ago. The idea: have the game called by two opposing fans. Have it on HBO so you could have them drunk and swearing at each other...THAT would be some good TV...

Farzin
06-10-2010, 06:10 AM

When he picked apart Matt Cassel, I was doing this :clap:.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Piss on Kornholer.

Piss on his head.

big nasty kcnut
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I liked dennis miller too. He was funny and the everyman of the show. Now i like gus johnson cause he crack me up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I liked dennis miller too. He was funny and the everyman of the show. Now i like gus johnson cause he crack me up.

Yep, I was a Miller fan too. Literary references and all.

Frazod
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Has Kornheiser responded to this?

J Diddy
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM

yeah that would be kinda cool.

J Diddy
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Yep, I was a Miller fan too. Literary references and all.

Don't get me wrong. I love dennis miller, great comedian, articulate and great stage presence. That being said I watch football to get down to my primitive man state. Dude's smacking the hell out of each other, controlled violence, etc... All I need for a football game is a pair of worn out cut offs and perhaps a cold beer. With DM you needed that and a fucking dictionary.

J Diddy
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM

He did, but nobody could understand him.

Bearcat
06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

"My guess is that his comments had to do with the fact that during his first season, I was publicly critical of the Packers, which had a 13-3 team, and got rid of (Brett) Favre for an untested player. Jaws and I went back and forth on this 1,000 times on TV and with Wilbon 1,000 times on TV. But if he thinks I'm no good, he wouldn't be the first. Or the last."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/06/tony-kornheiser-takes-the-high-road-with-aaron-rodgers/1

Rodgers apparently apologized, too... kind of lame with the "it was just a joke"/"didn't come across correctly on the radio"/"sorry if I offended" lines.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/packers-aaron-rodgers-regrets-inappropriate-setting-for-critical-comments-about-tony-kornheiser/1

Bearcat
06-10-2010, 11:13 AM
And that's ironic... I was in Detroit during Rodgers' first year as a starter, got the Packers quite a bit on TV, and saw right away that he was going to be a really good player. Clueless Kornheiser apparently couldn't see it...

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/06/tony-kornheiser-takes-the-high-road-with-aaron-rodgers/1

Rodgers apparently apologized, too... kind of lame with the "it was just a joke"/"didn't come across correctly on the radio"/"sorry if I offended" lines.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/packers-aaron-rodgers-regrets-inappropriate-setting-for-critical-comments-about-tony-kornheiser/1

Classy response by Kornheiser. As I posted earlier in the thread, what was Rodgers looking to gain in this scenario? He may be right, and others might agree with him, but he can only lose by making detrimental statements about others.