PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Confidence growing in Chiefs offense

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Confidence growing in Chiefs offense (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/08/2003156/confidence-growing-in-chiefs-offense.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

There are days that lead Matt Cassel to believe the growing pains are mercifully over for the Chiefs offense, and Tuesday was one of them.

Cassel completed his first six passes in full team practice to four different receivers. Dwayne Bowe was a threat in the scoring zone drills, grabbing a pair of touchdown passes. Chris Chambers made several catches. Dexter McCluster beat triple coverage down the field and hauled in a long scoring pass.

And Jamaal Charles isn’t even practicing yet because of offseason shoulder surgery. So it’s little wonder that Cassel was upbeat about the Chiefs.

“We’re coming together as an offensive unit,” Cassel said. “We’ve had a tremendous amount of production during the offseason. Look at what we have in terms of established personnel. Jamaal established himself last year as a big-time running back. We know what Dwayne can do and Chris, too. Dexter McCluster has come in and added something. He can play multiple positions. We added Thomas Jones. Jerheme Urban is giving us depth at receiver.

“We’ve got a collection of guys who will immediately make us a better offense.”

That was the idea behind the offseason offensive shopping spree that brought McCluster, Jones, Urban and starting guard Ryan Lilja, not to mention new coordinator Charlie Weis.

The Chiefs are building their program with an offensive bent. The transition hasn’t always been smooth. The defense, for instance, dominated in Monday’s practice.

While that may happen more often than the Chiefs would like, they’re planning to get off to a stronger offensive start than last season. After taking over as offensive coordinator during the preseason, coach Todd Haley spent the season’s first half unsuccessfully searching for things that might work for the Chiefs from week to week.

The Chiefs found a running game at midseason when Charles replaced Larry Johnson as the featured back. They then became a competent offensive team as the season concluded.

“There’s a lot of carryover from last year,” guard Brian Waters said. “Little things have changed here and there. We’re getting used to Charlie and the way he does things. We’re still getting a feel for who we are and what type of team we’re going to be. It’s part of Todd’s job and Charlie’s job to figure out what we do best and what they feel most comfortable with.

“It’s difficult to see what kind of team you’re going to be when you haven’t put the pads on.”

The Chiefs are counting on the diverse abilities of Charles and McCluster to help forge their identity. Charles not only rushed for almost 1,000 yards over the last half of last season but proved to be an effective receiver out of the backfield and lined up as a wide receiver.

The Chiefs have looked at McCluster in a variety of places, including as a running back and as a slot receiver.

“We understand we can be effective with multiple personnel groups,” Cassel said. “You go into the season and you can have a different identity from one week to the next to take advantage of what the defense is doing.

“The NFL is a game of matchups and mismatches. You have to take advantage of those mismatches. From one week to the next, if Charlie sees we can run the ball really well this week and thinks it’s advantageous for us as an offense, then I’m sure we’ll run the ball 25 times. He told us just the other day, ‘I’m not afraid to run the ball 20 times in a row if that means we’re doing the right things and moving the ball.’ He’s also not afraid to throw the ball 25 times. I think he mentioned a game last year (at Notre Dame) when they threw the ball 25 straight times because he thought that was advantageous.

“We’ll have the ability to go with multiple personnel groups. We really do have some diversity and some options as far as what we want to do week in and week out. We spent a lot of time last year figuring out what we had. We were all just trying to learn the new offense. We didn’t have this time of year to go through and try different personnel groups. That’s what we’ve been able to do in these (practices).”

McCluster has been a nice addition so far, but the Chiefs have yet to practice in pads or do any serious hitting. Once they do, the 170-pound McCluster will have to prove he can be as effective.

Even if he’s not, the Chiefs are confident they have other options.

“I wouldn’t be surprised at some point if you see Jamaal, Thomas and Dexter on the field at the same time,” Waters said. “As a defense, what do you decide to do? Do you decide this is a regular set and you’re going to have your regular defense out there, or do you decide that this is a passing set and you’re going to have more (defensive backs) out there?

“You just put the defenses in some bad situations, and you’re able to take advantage of those things. If you can throw all these different things from week to week at a defense, there’s no way they can be prepared for everything.

“You want to have as many options as you can.”

LetsSignRussell
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
heart of a champion

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
heart of a champion

and Cassel, has the arm of a broke dick elementary janitor

LetsSignRussell
06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
as long as he trys his hardest

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I've heard a lot about the offense lately...We need more stories about the defense and how they are improving.

OnTheWarpath15
06-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I've heard a lot about the offense lately...We need more stories about the defense and how they are improving.

Again...

We're not going to know ANYTHING about the progression of the offense, defense OR special teams until real games against real opponents in pads and at full speed take place.

I hope the Star doesn't pay Babb or Teicher by the word, because 95% of what they've written since the draft is pointless.

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

See if the defense is improving it's just that more evident that Cassel blows gangrenous pirate dick

LetsSignRussell
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
if they would only come out and say the chiefs suck we wouldn't be set up for failure again. but then they wouldn't have a job..

LetsSignRussell
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
enough dick somments for one evening tribal

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
enough dick somments for one evening tribal

Hey, that's what he is and what he does when he plays

Fish
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Well that's an upbeat article.... tickles..............

HotRoute
06-08-2010, 11:24 PM
so you posted this shit and then talk shit against it, im confused

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Again...

We're not going to know ANYTHING about the progression of the offense, defense OR special teams until real games against real opponents in pads and at full speed take place.

Oh I know. I'm just tired of hearing about the offense every single day. We need a little more Eric Berry, Tamba Hali, and whoever our Nose Tackle is gonna be IMO.

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 11:27 PM
so you posted this shit and then talk shit against it, im confused

Did you hear? I like making shit up about good ole Matt too!

HotRoute
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
whatever . . . i would like to see more from matt this year but if he sucks again, i'm pretty sure pioli still has the option to cut bait and to drop his ass at the end of the year.

Jethopper
06-08-2010, 11:36 PM
YES! Shit, I thought we got a new QB named Confidence Growing.

FAX
06-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Gangrenous pirates need affection, too. It isn't easy trying to pleasure yourself with a hook. Especially when the damn parrot spends the entire next day describing your efforts to the crew.

FAX

Dante84
06-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Thought this was funny.

Denver's QB throwing to KC's WR/RB, who beats KC's CB.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2lbtwVEAes&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2lbtwVEAes&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
McCluster and Arenas went head-to-head a lot in college. Not just in the Senior bowl practice.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-09-2010, 06:06 AM
In that video McCluster was awesome !

Arenas had good coverage too.

Tebow SUCKED!

jspchief
06-09-2010, 06:57 AM
That was the idea behind the offseason offensive shopping spree that brought McCluster, Jones, Urban and starting guard Ryan Lilja, not to mention new coordinator Charlie Weis.

That was a shopping "spree"?

YayMike
06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
[SIZE="5"]

“The NFL is a game of matchups and mismatches. You have to take advantage of those mismatches. From one week to the next, if Charlie sees we can run the ball really well this week and thinks it’s advantageous for us as an offense, then I’m sure we’ll run the ball 25 times. He told us just the other day, [B]‘I’m not afraid to run the ball 20 times in a row if that means we’re doing the right things and moving the ball.’ He’s also not afraid to throw the ball 25 times. I think he mentioned a game last year (at Notre Dame) when they threw the ball 25 straight times because he thought that was advantageous.”

Good to hear.. I am sick and tired of seeing short passes on 3rd and 1 or 2 because the defense is 'expecting' the run. If the run is working STICK with it.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 07:20 AM

Right on que.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 07:23 AM

You like making stuff up about the QB position in general. You want to criticize his arm strength and accuracy? That's perfectly fine.

But some of the ridiculous things you've brought up with no basis whatsoever is hilarious.

MOhillbilly
06-09-2010, 07:39 AM

Tell us how you really feel, Big.

Brock
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM

You do make shit up.

Fat Elvis
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I think this is a standard boilerplate article that I've read the past 20 some odd years. They even have fill in the blank lines where you insert a player's name with regard to a particular position.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
never know because the Chiefs are playing against themselves.

if both sides of the ball suck or are great then you don't find out until another team comes in and somebody gets kick in the face.

ModSocks
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
never know because the Chiefs are playing against themselves.

if both sides of the ball suck or are great then you don't find out until another team comes in and somebody gets kick in the face.

But we could always compare individual matchups. It seems to be a common report here that Legget has been getting abused by Bowe.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
You do make shit up.

I'm writing a book about how Cassel is a shitty QB with current interest it's going to be a best seller!!!!!

Brock
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm writing a book about how Cassel is a shitty QB with current interest it's going to be a best seller!!!!!

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of him without having to make up bullshit the way you do.

Rausch
06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
What I want to hear is how the offensive and defensive lines are doing.

I'm thinking anyone other than Crummy is an improvement...

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of him without having to make up bullshit the way you do.

You know it's an honest opinion of Cassel, I remember when some were saying I was making shit up about Cassel's temperament. Then low and behold the media reported that Cassel does have problems keeping composure.

I'm not making up shit, it's just others don't know what to look for.

ModSocks
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
You know it's an honest opinion of Cassel, I remember when some were saying I was making shit up about Cassel's temperament. Then low and behold the media reported that Cassel does have problems keeping composure.

Alright, I'll bite. What are these other things that you are aware of that others are not?

Brock
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Yeah, you with your extensive QB experience, you're really the man at critiquing QBs.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Alright, I'll bite. What are these other things that you are aware of that others are not?

QB timing and anticipation, that's the bread and butter for QBs with a shitty arm. Cassel displayed poor placement and poor anticipation of his WRs tendencies during situations where the ball had to be on the mark. Placing the ball in a certain area accurately that his WR will catch it (of course), and his WRs break on certain balls differently then others that's where timing and anticipation comes in. Cassel's shitty long ball would be a lot better if he was able to anticipate his ability better then throwing it up and praying it will be caught by his WR.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, you with your extensive QB experience, you're really the man at critiquing QBs.

Yep, my dad and I talk about it all the time. If you want to know his creditials the guy had scholarships to go to Navy,Air Force, and Kansas State to play football at QB but instead he decided to become a doc.

Brock
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Yep, my dad and I talk about it all the time. If you want to know his creditials the guy had scholarships to go to Navy,Air Force, and Kansas State to play football at QB but instead he decided to become a doc.

I'm sure that's relevant to this discussion somehow.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
WE'RE GONNA' FUCKIN' KILLEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOMINATE!

EXPLODE, BOY! EXPLODE!!!!!

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Yeah, and none of that matters. So because he had offers to play in college, and didn't, he knows the position in and out from high school and that's supposed to mean something when you bring up complete bullshit about NFL Qbs?

Get a fucking grip.

TRR
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM

So let me get this straight. Your qualifications for judging an NFL QB is that your Dad, years ago I would imagine, received offers from average at best college football programs?? And you talk to him about Cassel all the time??

Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Dexter McCluster beat triple coverage down the field and hauled in a long scoring pass.

wth? Dude's a midget.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
So let me get this straight. Your qualifications for judging an NFL QB is that your Dad, years ago I would imagine, received offers from average at best college football programs?? And you talk to him about Cassel all the time??

Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?
Posted via Mobile Device

You are calling Navy, Air Force, and Kansas State I-A football programs average and he won the High School Kansas State Championship starting as a freshman ? While, our very own HC coach never played? Yep, that makes sense. The cat knows his football and the position, and I'm a teacher myself I know the psychology that goes into it.

SAUTO
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
You are calling Navy, Air Force, and Kansas State I-A football programs average and he won the High School Kansas State Championship starting as a freshman ? While, our very own HC coach never played? Yep, that makes sense. The cat knows his football and the position, and I'm a teacher myself I know the psychology that goes into it.

ROFL i would just quit now. our coach has a better pedigree, playing or not, than your daddy. and what do you teach qb 101? if not STFU

SAUTO
06-09-2010, 05:34 PM

also do navy or air force actually EVER throw the ball? if not i wouldnt brag about your dad almost going there to be a throwing qb(which is what we are actually talking about you know, throwing the ball.)

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
But we could always compare individual matchups. It seems to be a common report here that Legget has been getting abused by Bowe.
Leggett pretty much get abused by everyone ... part of the reason they looked to move him to safety last year.

The fact that Cassel is accurate enough to throw it and Bowe is focused enough to catch it is a plus though.

FD
06-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Dexter McCluster beat triple coverage down the field and hauled in a long scoring pass.

wth? Dude's a midget.

not just that, but a slow, midget RB, that should have gone in the 5th round

milkman
06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, and none of that matters. So because he had offers to play in college, and didn't, he knows the position in and out from high school and that's supposed to mean something when you bring up complete bullshit about NFL Qbs?

Get a ****ing grip.

Even, for the sake of argument, if his dad did actually know what the **** he was talking about, the problems that TW described are ones that should be fixed when he and his receivers become more familiar with each other and the system.

And his "proof" that Cassel has a temper is that Cassel got upset with Haley in practice on play in which Haley was acting as an official.

Good lord, TW is a ****ing moron.

And it scares the hell out of me to think about the poor bastards he teaches.

Our future is ****ed.

SAUTO
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Even, for the sake of argument, if his dad did actually know what the **** he was talking about, the problems that TW described are ones that should be fixed when he and his receivers become more familiar with each other and the system.

And his "proof" that Cassel has a temper is that Cassel got upset with Haley in practice on play in which Haley was acting as an official.

Our future is ****ed.

also the way that the wrs played musical chairs last season would lead some to believe that maybe that wouldnt be the case again this season
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Shit, well my dad is Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw is my step cousin twice removed. So yeah, I think I know more about NFL qbs than TW does.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

You know 2 things. Jack and shit.

And yes, every single program you mentioned is average or below.

So let me understand. Since he played in high school, he understands how to play QB in the NFL?

That's some sound logic right there.

And since you are a teacher, you understand the psychology of things?

You just can't make this shit up.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Our future is ****ed.

Amen.

-King-
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Cassel got a scholarship to play qb for USC...an actual football school.

Cassel > TW's papa.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
TW should just stick to posting articles, because when he actually posts in threads, the results usually don't work to his favor.
Posted via Mobile Device

TRR
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Your damn right I'm calling Navy, Air Force and K State average AT FUCKING BEST. They are all an afterthought in college football. Especially Navy and Air Force.

And are you really comparing your Dad's pathetic high school football championship to Haley's coaching career? I could give two shits about Haley's playing career. Some of the best coaches weren't stars or never played much at all.

I'm sure your Dad was a very good high school player...but that's where your Dad's career ends. Haley has worked with and scouted more talent than your Dad could ever dream of.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
06-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I hope to god that the game starts to "slow down" for Matt this year and he is able to start making plays and stop thinking and fucking up with such great consistency. After his amount of starts, that should start happening soon if its to ever happen.

I hope that one of two things happen...

1) Cassel plays well enough to earn another year.

2) If he doesnt, we draft a quarterback in the first round that can help us have a 10+ year window in which to win a championship.

T-post Tom
06-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I thought QBs were required to praise their linemen both first and last.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:05 AM
My dad said Brett Favre shouldn't retire. He's a retiree so he knows what he's talking about.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow. This got ugly.

J Diddy
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I hope to god that the game starts to "slow down" for Matt this year and he is able to start making plays and stop thinking and ****ing up with such great consistency. After his amount of starts, that should start happening soon if its to ever happen.

I hope that one of two things happen...

1) Cassel plays well enough to earn another year.

2) If he doesnt, we draft a quarterback in the first round that can help us have a 10+ year window in which to win a championship.

well said although number 3 should have something to do with a stripper.