PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you still use a house phone and Cell phone?

Gracie Dean
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
We dropped our house phone. We have been married 20 years and have always had a home phone, but my dear hubby has convinced me that since we both have cell phones and can call pretty much anywhere with them, we no longer need a home phone too. (and will save 50 bucks a month)

How many of you have gone to just Cell phones?

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
No house phone.

Pants
06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Haven't had a land line since I moved out of my parent's house at 18 (2003).

JD10367
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I only keep if because I have a cable package with digital cable, Internet, and phone, and if I drop the phone the rest goes up and it costs the same anyway. We never answer the landline because it's nothing but telemarketers.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I think landlines will be gone in 5 yrs.

Bugeater
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I like to be in the phone book so people I've done work for in the past can easily find me again, and the only way to do that is with a landline. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one.

bango
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I haven't had a landline in almost four years.

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Doubt it. 40% of the US still does not have broadband and 30% don't have internet access.

KurtCobain
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Fuck house phones.

Bugeater
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
No way, businesses will always use them. Residential could be another story, there has to be a point where if too few people have them it won't be profitable anymore. But I think we're more than 5 yrs away from that.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I like to be in the phone book so people I've done work for in the past can easily find me again, and the only way to do that is with a landline. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one.
Frankly, I'm very surpried they're still printing phonebooks.

Bugeater
06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
**** house phones.
No, fuck cell phones. They've turned far more people into rude idiots than house phones ever did.

Bugeater
06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Frankly, I'm very surpried they're still printing phonebooks.
Heh, every time I get a new phone book I think the same thing. But the landline still gets you on whitepages.com and other websites.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
No way, businesses will always use them. Residential could be another story, there has to be a point where if too few people have them it won't be profitable anymore. But I think we're more than 5 yrs away from that.
Traditional landlines. Offices would switch to Voip. I imagine a lot of them already have.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Heh, every time I get a new phone book I think the same thing. But the landline still gets you on whitepages.com and other websites.If I need a number for a business, I just Google it. My cell really helps with that. It always knows my location.

Bugeater
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Traditional landlines. Offices would switch to Voip. I imagine a lot of them already have.
Eh, that's just a different type of landline. I still think it will be a while, most of the people I know that are my age and older have them, it's the generation following us that will kill them off.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Eh, that's just a different type of landline. I still think it will be a while, most of the people I know that are my age and older have them, it's the generation following us that will kill them off.heh, I'll be 40 this yr and I haven't used a landline on a regular basis in 5 yrs. My folks are 70 and 67 and they ditched their home phone a few yrs ago.

Steve
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I use magic jack for my home phone.Cost me $40 and came with 12 monthes of service and cost $20 a year after that and even send my messages to my email.

kcxiv
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Keep the house phone for doctor stuff, legal stuff. Use the answering machine for that. Use my cell phone for personal stuff. Works great.

RNR
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I have not had a house phone for over ten years. I just use my cell phone. I do miss the days of just not being home lol Everyone who knows me knows I carry my phone at all times. so if I don't answer there is a good chance I am blowing them off. I hate talking on the phone and less talking to my kids most calls are a minute or less~

threebag
06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Smart phone only

Miles
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Haven't had a landline in over 10 years.

FlaChief58
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
We dropped our house phone. We have been married 20 years and have always had a home phone, but my dear hubby has convinced me that since we both have cell phones and can call pretty much anywhere with them, we no longer need a home phone too. (and will save 50 bucks a month)

Have not had a home phone in 10 yrs. We just didn't see the need to keep paying for one since 99% of the calls we received were from asshole soliciters who loved to call just as we would sit down for dinner anyway.

Frazod
06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Have to have a landline for the alarm system and DTV. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
House phone. I refuse to pay the insane prices for todays cell contracts. It's stupid.

We have a Net10 prepaid cell and that we use for emergencies and travel only.

chiefs1111
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
haven't had a house phone in 6 years

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Have to have a landline for the alarm system and DTV. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.
You don't need a phoneline for directv anymore.

Bwana
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
You don't need a phoneline for directv anymore.

You do for NFL Sunday ticket......right? If not, my land line is gone tomorrow.

MadMax
06-10-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm opposite, I have never had a cell phone lol...My kids do but I guess im just old fashioned that way.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
yes, still use both for now but it's definitely "on the clock"

Chiefs Rool
06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
haven't had a house phone in a while.

greg63
06-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Do you still use a house phone and Cell phone?

Yes.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 09:13 PM
You do for NFL Sunday ticket......right? If not, my land line is gone tomorrow.Nope. I've had the same HD-DVR for 2 yrs now and have never had the phoneline hooked up. No issues.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
The Tivo needed the phoneline to boot up. I hated that.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
You do for NFL Sunday ticket......right? If not, my land line is gone tomorrow.

I have Sunday Ticket and have never been plugged into a phone. However, I still have the basic reciever.

Myself, I have a land line and cell. Unlike everyone else, I hate the cell phone. My job makes it mandatory and they pay half the bill.

Land lines have slid, but they'll be around quite a while. There's a lot of rural America without cell service, large and small business's with key systems, hotels/motels, people on heart monitors, alarm systems, fax machines, etc...

As a matter of fact, when the cell company in my area finally got broadband service here, a lot of people dropped their land line and went wireless. Slowly, they're all switching back.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
A couple of months ago, AT&T & the FCC started discussing timelines for bringing the old wired telephone system down for good. It's coming.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
BTW...there is a lot of the US infrastructure run on land lines. In my area land lines run wind farms, dams, and all government servers.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
BTW...there is a lot of the US infrastructure run on land lines. In my area land lines run wind farms, dams, and all government servers.That'll change. That's what the internet is for. At&t wants to scrap the old copper wire and replace it with fiberoptics.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
That'll change. That's what the internet is for. At&t wants to scrap the old copper wire and replace it with fiberoptics.

That's still a land line. We have fiber to the home in many of our exchanges. Our switch is ethernet based also, but it's still for land lines. Every company would eventually like to ditch copper, but it doesn't mean they're getting out of the land line business.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-10-2010, 10:03 PM
That's still a land line. We have fiber to the home in many of our exchanges. Our switch is ethernet based also, but it's still for land lines. Every company would eventually like to ditch copper, but it doesn't mean they're getting out of the land line business.I think eventually they'll convert most of it to wireless.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I think eventually they'll convert most of it to wireless.

With AT&T, maybe. I haven't kept up on their goings on. But it's not the case with every company out there.

Land lines will continue to slip and then even off. But they will not disappear...especially in 5 years.

06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
A couple of months ago, AT&T & the FCC started discussing timelines for bringing the old wired telephone system down for good. It's coming.Then they better start finding ways to make cell contracts more affordable.$40 per month for one fucking phone is BS. With a land line I can have a phone on each floor of my house. It's much more convenient. Also, I don't want to be able to be reached 24 hrs per day. I will never have a need for a cell phone over a land line.

OnTheWarpath15
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I've wanted to ditch the landline for years, but can't because our townhouse apparently a bottomless fucking pit, and we have shitty service inside the house.

The Mrs. is lucky enough to work from home quite often, and that would quit without reliable phone service.

We are, however, down to the cheapest plan offered that includes CID.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh I'm not saying copper wire will be "gone" in 5 years... but in 20-25 years? Maybe.

RNR
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm opposite, I have never had a cell phone lol...My kids do but I guess im just old fashioned that way.

My best friend is the same way. I was giving him crap a while back because he is hard to get a hold of. He points at his phone and says if I ain't home that machine answers for me and it even has a recording of my voice LMAO

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh I'm not saying copper wire will be "gone" in 5 years... but in 20-25 years? Maybe.

Eventually, copper will be gone, but not land lines.

MoreLemonPledge
06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Hell naw. Haven't had one for 5 years. Well, we had one for about 3 months there when we moved in our new house, but the only people who called were telemarketers. Everybody else just called our cell phones. And we paid $35/mo to be constantly pestered.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I suppose what I really mean is, the traditional POTS voice over copper will be gone. It'll all be fiber or wireless carrying data/VOIP.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Hell naw. Haven't had one for 5 years. Well, we had one for about 3 months there when we moved in our new house, but the only people who called were telemarketers. Everybody else just called our cell phones. And we paid $35/mo to be constantly pestered.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I suppose what I really mean is, the traditional POTS voice over copper will be gone. It'll all be fiber or wireless carrying data/VOIP.

I understand what you mean.

We're going to being both POTS and VOIP. Either way, it's still a land line. It rings in the home, through a modem, out onto our fiber. Not on a cell phone or wireless device.

rockymtnchief
06-10-2010, 10:44 PM
One last thing before I go to bed. If you dropped your land line for a cell, keep a hardwired phone plugged into a jack in your home. In case of an emergency, you can still dial 911 and be connected.

CoMoChief
06-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I only keep if because I have a cable package with digital cable, Internet, and phone, and if I drop the phone the rest goes up and it costs the same anyway. We never answer the landline because it's nothing but telemarketers.

Or just make it a fax line.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Or just make it a fax line.actually, I expect fax to mostly go away relatively soon, too. Well, not FAX, but you know what i mean.

06-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Or just make it a fax line.I'm amazed how many people still use those. It still kills me when a company asks me to fax something to them. When I ask them if I can just scan the document and email it they act like they have never even heard of doing that.

Inspector
06-11-2010, 06:01 AM
No cell phone but I do have a cordless phone that works clear out into the yard. It's really cool.

Bwana
06-11-2010, 07:01 AM
The Tivo needed the phoneline to boot up. I hated that.

I have a Tivo, as well as Sunday ticket. I talked to them last year "Direct TV" and the pricks claimed I needed a landline so they could download my information for the bill. I'm going to have to make another phone call. A landline is as useless as tits on a boar and I would love to kick it to the curb.

1ChiefsDan
06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
We have a landline so the kids can get calls from their school friends. I don't want them calling me on my cell phone.

tmax63
06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I still don't have a cell phone. Can't get a reliable signal at my house much less in it and I don't want to pay twice for phone service. I live 50 miles east of Colorado Springs so it's not like I'm in BFE. Every time I look at cell phones nobody can tell me which phone has the longest range or answer my questions about cell coverage in my area so I get pissed off and leave.

seclark
06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
two pots lines in the house. both in my wifes name. my cell is provided by work.

i hate all of them.
sec

luv
06-11-2010, 07:25 AM
I haven't had a landline for at least six years.

BigMeatballDave
06-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Voip is not considered a landline.

Hydrae
06-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Voip is not considered a landline.

It still causes the old handset at the house to ring.

I have the T-Mobile home VOIP setup, costs all of $10 a month. I don't give out my cell phone number except to friends and family. Otherwise, you are getting the house phone number. I don't want BS business related calls coming through while I am at work or driving, I will deal with that crap at my leisure.

Lzen
06-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, I still have both. I have kept the landline since I have had that same number for nearly 20 years. I like having my name in the phone book if anyone ever needs to contact me. After reading through this thread, I think it may be time to consider some type of VOIP service.

KC Jones
06-11-2010, 07:56 AM
We still have both. I'd be up for ditching the land line (I include VOIP for that). However we have two young kids and our home phone is the main contact number for huge numbers of agencies, organizations, and people. Maybe when the kids get mobile phones it'll be time to ditch the land line.

TrebMaxx
06-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Dumped our landline 3 years ago when the bill went from $27 to near $40.

Saulbadguy
06-11-2010, 08:01 AM
It's been 10 years since i've had a landline phone. I can't even remember my last landline phone #.

jidar
06-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I think eventually they'll convert most of it to wireless.

I keep hearing that but I disagree. There will just never be enough bandwidth in wireless to do that. There isn't enough wireless bandwidth out there now and it's really going backwards as companies realize that the unlimited plans are destroying their networks.

Don't get me wrong, wireless has really grown up by leaps and bounds, but it's still just not nearly enough. The appetite for bandwidth in the home is growing faster than wireless bandwidth is growing right now and I don't see that changing in the near term.

jidar
06-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a Tivo, as well as Sunday ticket. I talked to them last year "Direct TV" and the pricks claimed I needed a landline so they could download my information for the bill. I'm going to have to make another phone call. A landline is as useless as tits on a boar and I would love to kick it to the curb.

Any Tivo unit made in the last 6 years supports phoning home over ethernet using the Internet.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I keep hearing that but I disagree. There will just never be enough bandwidth in wireless to do that. There isn't enough wireless bandwidth out there now and it's really going backwards as companies realize that the unlimited plans are destroying their networks.

Don't get me wrong, wireless has really grown up by leaps and bounds, but it's still just not nearly enough. The appetite for bandwidth in the home is growing faster than wireless bandwidth is growing right now and I don't see that changing in the near term.

In my area this is already true. That's why many here are switching back to a land line with DSL. Higher speeds and more dependable.

But, I am building more T-1's to the cell towers to remedy this in August. These T-1's will still be on my companys fiber (land line company).

jidar
06-11-2010, 09:10 AM
In my area this is already true. That's why many here are switching back to a land line with DSL. Higher speeds and more dependable.

But, I am building more T-1's to the cell towers to remedy this in August. These T-1's will still be on my companys fiber (land line company).

T-1s are like sticking your fingers in the dyke though. Every bit helps but what does 1.544 really do?

In the future I see things moving towards Internet connected televisions with your cable tv subscription being someone on the Internet and all your phones being voip. Consider things like HD and 3d signals... that's a lot of bandwidth and it's never going to work without a wire.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
T-1s are like sticking your fingers in the dyke though. Every bit helps but what does 1.544 really do?

T-1's are plenty for my area. When you talk about bigger areas they're probably using T-3's/DS3 (43 Mbps) and DS4's (274 Mbps) etc...

But I agree with what you're saying. Right now it's already happening in my area.

ModSocks
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Just a Cell phone. No land line anymore

alpha_omega
06-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Still have both. The alarm system is connected to the land line.

Overall, i use the land line whenever possible...the call quality is much better (in most cases).

Chief Pote
06-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Most offices have one or two traditional landlines entering the building and the server that runs the phone software takes control. The cost of the phone line(s) drops dramatically. Landlines are here to stay.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Nothin' but Cell, beeyatch!

RJ
06-11-2010, 11:09 AM
We still have a land line phone, mostly because my wife uses it for long conference calls on the days she works from home. It's cheaper than what the cell minutes would cost us.

bevischief
06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
voip for the satellite, cell phone for everything else.

Mile High Mania
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
We still have a normal phone line in the house... we have small kids, so worst case - if something happens to one of us at the house, the kids can still use that phone. Or, if a babysitter or grandparent is there and we are not and something happens, they can call 911 or something if an emergency comes up.