PDA

View Full Version : Misc To the woman that nearly ran me off the road today!!!!

06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
To the woman driving the Silver Town and Country with a line of rust along the rear hatch. You were driving up Gage Blvd toward 29th street and you decided to switch lanes without taking the time to notice I was driving right beside you. By some miracle I was able to slam on my brakes fast enough and hard enough that I managed to avoid YOU HITTING ME!!! I was very fortunate that there was nobody behind me or I would have been rear ended.

When you turned onto 29th Street heading east I passed by you and sure enough you were chatting it up on a cell phone completely oblivious to what you had done.

To all people that try to talk on their cell phone while driving, STOP IT. I am sick of this crap!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:

mikeyis4dcats.
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I think you're looking for Craigslist Rants and Raves

gblowfish
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
She was probably one of the Phelps kids.

Gonzo
06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
She was probably one of the Phelps kids.

I doubt it, cell phones are the debbil!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok, so it's not just me...

Deberg_1990
06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
If she wasn't talking on her celly, she would have been texting...
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Was this intended for "missed connections" on Craigslist?

06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't think this woman had any clue that she did this at all. It just kills me how people think it is OK to talk on a cell phone and drive. It is impaired driving plain and simple.

Chief Chief
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
OK, which is it?

Is your message to the woman that nearly ran into you or to all the people who use their cell phones while driving?

Because you can't have it both ways in one thread.

You're sending mixed messages.

Plus I was on my cell phone while reading your thread so I was distracted and have no idea what this thread is all about.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
It's ok to drive and talk on a cell phone.

MOhillbilly
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
i had a woman do this awhile back on the way to work. I honked and she gave me the finger. I think she hads regrets about her actions when i double back and caught her trying to unlock her office door. Man she was freakin out.

MOhillbilly
06-14-2010, 01:28 PM

not for women.

ZootedGranny
06-14-2010, 01:28 PM
It's a practice that may lead to me getting shot, but if anyone does some truly egregious shit like that, I just hit them with the shame horn.

Just lay on the horn until they pull off onto a sidestreet or get the hell out of your way.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
not for women.

Well, if you put that qualifier on it, I agree.

MOhillbilly
06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
It's a practice that may lead to me getting shot, but if anyone does some truly egregious shit like that, I just hit them with the shame horn.

Just lay on the horn until they pull off onto a sidestreet or get the hell out of your way.

yes i could possibly shoot some one for the above. blamo!

06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
OK, which is it?

Is your message to the woman that nearly ran into you or to all the people who use their cell phones while driving?

Because you can't have it both ways in one thread.

You're sending mixed messages.

Plus I was on my cell phone while reading your thread so I was distracted and have no idea what this thread is all about.Oh, it is most definitely both. Remember, I got rolled last year buy a guy that was talking on his cell phone.

The fuck it is. It may not be illegal yet but it is definitely NOT ok.

Frosty
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM

It's a $100+ ticket (primary offense, too) in my state now, so, not so ok here.

Lzen
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I had the same thing happen to me just half a block north of 10th & Topeka. No turn signal or anything. Just a sudden switching of lanes. Yep, stupid woman on her cell. I was on the motorcycle and had to slam on my brakes just to avoid being wiped out. I zipped up right by her in the left lane at 8th and yelled some unpleasantries. I don't even know if the stupid &*^%$ even saw me.

keg in kc
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm sick of women in white mercedes who pull out into oncoming traffic on 119th street with the "I'm in a mercedes and i own this road, so all of you oncoming cars are just going to have to suck it up and slam on your breaks" attitude flying.

LetsSignRussell
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
people on motorcycles are hard to see. just sayin

seclark
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM

but if the driver of the car/truck at least use their turn signals, maybe the biker can see them first?
sec

Pablo
06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm trying to read this thread on my mobile device but it's hard to navigate my phone w/o spilling my Jack and Coke or putting this F-350 into a ditch. But I know I sure as shit didn't run anybody off the road today.

keg in kc
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Most of the motorcycle issues I've had in OP are younger guys on crotch rockets flying up quivira about 100 miles an hour at 4 in the afternoon.

seclark
06-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Most of the motorcycle issues I've had in OP are younger guys on crotch rockets flying up quivira about 100 miles an hour at 4 in the afternoon.

feel free to take them out.
sec

HC_Chief
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM

One of tose guys went superman off his bike into a concrete pillar on 69 last year.

Another did the same, except this time into a light post, at 144th & Metcalf.

A few more flew over a #*^$@ing HOUSE not too long ago (going 90mph+ at 151st & Metcalf).

People + vehicles = stupid, tangled wreckage.

Lzen
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Well, if the stupid ***** would have looked, maybe she would have seen me. She didn't look, she just suddenly lane changed. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I take it.

Lzen
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
feel free to take them out.
sec

:LOL:

gblowfish
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM

This.

I've seen idiots on I-35 in afternoon rush weaving in and out, crossing four lanes and using the outer and inner shoulder, doing about 80 when the traffic is flowing at about 55 or 60. I always look three or four times before changing lanes, because I don't want to pancake some 18 year old kid on a crotch rocket.

I've seen young guys in ricers with big penis mufflers driving crazy in rush hour too, chasing each other bumper to bumper and weaving lane to lane, like two squirrels chasing each other from tree to tree. Very dangerous. It's always somebody else that gets hurt trying to get out of the way of these idiots.

Lzen
06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
This.

I've seen idiots on I-35 in afternoon rush weaving in and out, crossing four lanes and using the outer and inner shoulder, doing about 80 when the traffic is flowing at about 55 or 60. I always look three or four times before changing lanes, because I don't want to pancake some 18 year old kid on a crotch rocket.

I've seen young guys in ricers with big penis mufflers driving crazy in rush hour too, chasing each other bumper to bumper and weaving lane to lane, like two squirrels chasing each other from tree to tree. Very dangerous. It's always somebody else that gets hurt trying to get out of the way of these idiots.

Yep, guys like that are idiots. They are asking to get hit.

Valiant
06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

I agree also, but sometimes you have to do that when everybody decides the passing lane is for talking on the phone and driving 50...

If the slow people would stay in their respective lane there would be less trouble.. I know when I am not passing or driving slower then normal my ass is not in the left lane..

kysirsoze
06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
The **** it is. It may not be illegal yet but it is definitely NOT ok.

It's illegal here but people go right on doing it. Plus, hands free is still legal which doesn't solve anything. The problem is splitting focus. Having both hands as opposed to one is not gonna help if you aren't paying attention to what's going on around you.

Kyle DeLexus
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
To the woman driving the Silver Town and Country with a line of rust along the rear hatch. You were driving up Gage Blvd toward 29th street and you decided to switch lanes without taking the time to notice I was driving right beside you. By some miracle I was able to slam on my brakes fast enough and hard enough that I managed to avoid YOU HITTING ME!!! I was very fortunate that there was nobody behind me or I would have been rear ended.

When you turned onto 29th Street heading east I passed by you and sure enough you were chatting it up on a cell phone completely oblivious to what you had done.

To all people that try to talk on their cell phone while driving, STOP IT. I am sick of this crap!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:

This exact same thing happened to me today!

Pablo
06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
This exact same thing happened to me today!The exact same thing, huh?

You and Guru road-trippin together or somethin?

06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
It's illegal here but people go right on doing it. Plus, hands free is still legal which doesn't solve anything. The problem is splitting focus. Having both hands as opposed to one is not gonna help if you aren't paying attention to what's going on around you.

It should be illegal everywhere by now.:shake:

06-14-2010, 03:09 PM
What pisses me off even more is when I see a cop talking on his cell while driving.

Kyle DeLexus
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
The exact same thing, huh?

You and Guru road-trippin together or somethin?

Ok almost the same thing, different car. On my way to my apartment before work and some woman decides to just change lanes while I'm passing her. I wasn't even going too much over the limit so it's not like she looked in her rearview mirror and thought I'd still be behind her, she just flat out didn't look.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I've had four close calls since riding my motorcycle. In three of the four instances it was a woman driving an SUV. In the fourth, it was a man driving a pickup truck.

In all four instances, the driver was talking on a cell phone. :cuss:

Kyle DeLexus
06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I've had four close calls since riding my motorcycle. In three of the four instances it was a woman driving an SUV. In the fourth, it was a man driving a pickup truck.

In all four instances, the driver was talking on a cell phone. :cuss:

I had a close call with a motorcycle when I first started driving. I looked in my rearview and he was a ways back and I had already checked my side so I went to change lanes a couple seconds later and he was driving so fast he was already in my blindspot. Scared the shit outta me and taught me a valuable lesson.

06-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I wasn't able to lay on the horn until after I was safely back behind her. I let her have it but as I said, I don't even think she heard me. I think I held it down for at least 8-10 seconds.

Phobia
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't have a problem with casual conversation on a cell phone but don't try processing anything complicated while driving. I know it can be very distracting. But just yapping about nothing in particular is just as harmless as having a conversation with a passenger. This is pretty hard to legislate because some folks are capable of driving while talking and some people probably shouldn't be driving at all.

LetsSignRussell
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, if the stupid ***** would have looked, maybe she would have seen me. She didn't look, she just suddenly lane changed. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I take it.

I don't give a fuck. I'm still saying motorcycles are hard to see. JUST SAYIN.

Iowanian
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
In my line of work, if I pulled over every time I had a call.....

Someone asked about it at a meeting last friday, and I let them know it would have taken me at least 7hrs to make that 5hr drive...both ways.

vailpass
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM

I hear you. In Phoenix people get shot regularly in road rage incidents. Whenever I go into Phoenix or on the highways I discipline myself to look straight ahead and not get pissed no matter how crappy someone is driving.

vailpass
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm trying to read this thread on my mobile device but it's hard to navigate my phone w/o spilling my Jack and Coke or putting this F-350 into a ditch. But I know I sure as shit didn't run anybody off the road today.

:D

Bugeater
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
This.

Unless you're looking to have one of them plow into the back of your car (which incidentally, I am not opposed to), the worse thing you can do is try to get out of their way. You're better off holding your position and letting them find a way around you.

Agreed, and there's a little part of me that is always hoping that I see one of those guys eat it for that very reason.

I disagree, the hands free helps because holding a phone up to your ear restricts your head movement.

SDChiefs
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
The way I look at it is people are stupid in general. So if I drive like an idiot and cut someone off and run them off the road, there is a strong possiblity that I just saved someone else from having that idiot do it to them.

Lzen
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't have a problem with casual conversation on a cell phone but don't try processing anything complicated while driving. I know it can be very distracting. But just yapping about nothing in particular is just as harmless as having a conversation with a passenger. This is pretty hard to legislate because some folks are capable of driving while talking and some people probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Good take. And that's pretty much my thought on it, as well.

vailpass
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Hands-free phone isn't that hard of a concept to grasp is it?

Bearcat
06-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Oblivious is oblivious, regardless of what you're doing while driving (if anything)... I see plenty of clueless f***s who have both hands on the wheel and don't seem caught up in external distractions.

A few months ago, some guy (not on a phone) merged into my lane as his back tires were even with my front tires, so he could take an exit... no blinker, never looked, and he had plenty of time & space to get over earlier. I honked for a good 20 seconds, mostly because he had a female in the front seat and a child in the back seat. Yeah, a wreck would be a pretty big pain in the ass to me, but I'm glad someone was looking out for the other people in the car. Nobody in the car ever reacted to my road rage, which makes me wonder how many times he pulls that shit.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Phil, you know I like you and have the utmost respect for you, but that's bullshit. Driving while on the phone - jabber or complex conversation - has been proven again and again to cause tunnel vision and impaired reaction time similar to driving drunk. And hands-free devices, while they free up your hands to supposedly help you drive, do nothing to improve reaction time.

I've not seen any studies comparing talking on a cell and talking to a passenger.

threebag
06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
It is impaired driving plain and simple.

I like my driving impaired by some good ole road head.

KCChiefsMan
06-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I think there needs to be a large society of people, formed together, who appear just as anyone else. When this type of stuff happens, they get to punch you in the face with brass knuckles. After a little while, people would start acting better in public.

threebag
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I think there needs to be a large society of people, formed together, who appear just as anyone else. When this type of stuff happens, they get to punch you in the face with brass knuckles. After a little while, people would start acting better in public.

There is they are called parents just some don't know how to be parents and that just ****s up society as a whole. If you hit the little shits you get thrown in jail.

KCChiefsMan
06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
There is they are called parents just some don't know how to be parents and that just ****s up society as a whole.

well honestly, parents aren't allowed to be firm with their children anymore. Social services would be quick to hit up a family after an alleged spanking.

CosmicPal
06-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I've not seen any studies comparing talking on a cell and talking to a passenger.

A passenger can be just as much if not more of a distraction. HOWEVER- passengers can help the driver in many ways that a caller can't- and that is the passenger can sometimes alert the driver of another car, pedestrian, animal, etc.

But passengers can be quite a distraction too- changing the radio station, throwing tantrums, spilling drinks, etc.

Bearcat
06-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Phil, you know I like you and have the utmost respect for you, but that's bullshit. Driving while on the phone - jabber or complex conversation - has been proven again and again to cause tunnel vision and impaired reaction time similar to driving drunk. And hands-free devices, while they free up your hands to supposedly help you drive, do nothing to improve reaction time.

Based on what I've read, the difference in reaction time is usually like 5 feet @ 65mph (but the studies usually say something like "11% OMG!!!")... and if you need an extra 5 feet at that speed, you were probably either following too closely to begin with or you're already screwed.

Frazod
06-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Each according to his gifts. Some people can do it, some people can't. I know people who can talk on a hand-held phone, smoke a cigarette and drive a car with a stick shift safely. I also know people who have a license who shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel stone sober and talking to nobody.

This is one of those LCD laws (lowest common denominator). It is what it is.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Each according to his gifts. Some people can do it, some people can't. I know people who can talk on a hand-held phone, smoke a cigarette and drive a car with a stick shift safely. I also know people who have a license who shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel stone sober and talking to nobody.

This is one of those LCD laws (lowest common denominator). It is what it is.

I don't buy that they can do those things safely. I'll buy "safer than others" but not safely. And just because they haven't had a wreck yet doesn't mean anything. Distractions are dangerous, and I've never been more aware of them as I have in the past year that I've been riding. People need to hang up, put down the cheeseburger and pay the road and other people on it the attention they deserve.

Frazod
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't buy that they can do those things safely. I'll buy "safer than others" but not safely. And just because they haven't had a wreck yet doesn't mean anything. Distractions are dangerous, and I've never been more aware of them as I have in the past year that I've been riding. People need to hang up, put down the cheeseburger and pay the road and other people on it the attention they deserve.

I once drove my old Vega with a stick shift through town while eating a cheeseburger and fries and drinking a coke. And I think I was half shitfaced, too!

Bugeater
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Oblivious is oblivious, regardless of what you're doing while driving (if anything)... I see plenty of clueless f***s who have both hands on the wheel and don't seem caught up in external distractions.

A few months ago, some guy (not on a phone) merged into my lane as his back tires were even with my front tires, so he could take an exit... no blinker, never looked, and he had plenty of time & space to get over earlier. I honked for a good 20 seconds, mostly because he had a female in the front seat and a child in the back seat. Yeah, a wreck would be a pretty big pain in the ass to me, but I'm glad someone was looking out for the other people in the car. Nobody in the car ever reacted to my road rage, which makes me wonder how many times he pulls that shit.
Yes, there are always going to be people doing stupid shit while driving, but it's the wildly disproportionate number of them that are driving that way because they're on the phone that is disturbing.

Phobia
06-14-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't give a rip about studies unless the study included me. Really. We're talking about aptitude and personal responsibility. When we're talking about such things, you can't show me a study comprised of random strangers and show me how it equates to my own aptitude.

I realize there are idiots on the road. I realize we're talking to a man with a big ego. I've analyzed my own phone habits. I know that I shouldn't be discussing a client's bid while I'm on the cell phone driving. I know I can answer a few questions from the wife or from my workers. I know I can set up an appointment or listen to directions to my next stop.

I don't know why you're so sure people can't talk on the phone and drive. If you can't then don't. If you can't dunk a basketball then don't file for the NBA draft. If you can't swim, then don't become a Navy Seal. If you can't bake a cake don't fill out a job application at a bakery. If you're not a rocket scientist, then do not enter into a debate about talking on a cell phone while driving a car.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't give a rip about studies unless the study included me. Really. We're talking about aptitude and personal responsibility. When we're talking about such things, you can't show me a study comprised of random strangers and show me how it equates to my own aptitude.

I realize there are idiots on the road. I realize we're talking to a man with a big ego. I've analyzed my own phone habits. I know that I shouldn't be discussing a client's bid while I'm on the cell phone driving. I know I can answer a few questions from the wife or from my workers. I know I can set up an appointment or listen to directions to my next stop.

I don't know why you're so sure people can't talk on the phone and drive. If you can't then don't. If you can't dunk a basketball then don't file for the NBA draft. If you can't swim, then don't become a Navy Seal. If you can't bake a cake don't fill out a job application at a bakery. If you're not a rocket scientist, then do not enter into a debate about talking on a cell phone while driving a car.

Why are you being so defensive? I'm sorry if you think it was some kind of personal attack, because it wasn't. I said up front I have a lot of respect for you, and your response and the vitriol in its tone takes me by surprise.

The fact is: talking on a cell phone IS a distraction. Like it or not, man. And I don't care if you were a Navy Seal, a CIA undercover operative or a rocket scientist, the physiology is no different for you than it is for someone else.

I'll not argue that it may affects you less than others - that may be perfectly true; I'd even say the same of me - but I'd bet all the money I have that your reaction time is slowed and your awareness is impaired when you're talking on a cell phone.

And seriously... WTF does being a rocket scientist have to do with entering into a debate about talking on a cell phone? Are you a rocket scientist? Then don't argue, I guess. :spock:

Lzen
06-15-2010, 07:45 AM
...If you're not a rocket scientist, then do not enter into a debate about talking on a cell phone while driving a car.

ROFL WTH? :spock:

Donger
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Anyone with an IQ below, say, 120 shouldn't drive and use their cell phone at the same time.

RJ
06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
I think most people believe they are better divers than other people.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Why are you being so defensive? I'm sorry if you think it was some kind of personal attack, because it wasn't. I said up front I have a lot of respect for you, and your response and the vitriol in its tone takes me by surprise.

The fact is: talking on a cell phone IS a distraction. Like it or not, man. And I don't care if you were a Navy Seal, a CIA undercover operative or a rocket scientist, the physiology is no different for you than it is for someone else.

I'll not argue that it may affects you less than others - that may be perfectly true; I'd even say the same of me - but I'd bet all the money I have that your reaction time is slowed and your awareness is impaired when you're talking on a cell phone.

And seriously... WTF does being a rocket scientist have to do with entering into a debate about talking on a cell phone? Are you a rocket scientist? Then don't argue, I guess. :spock:

Didn't realize I was being defensive. Just saying it how I feel. I'm not mad. I agree that cell-phones are a distraction. But I also know that different people handle distractions better than others.

I've had half a dozen accidents in my lifetime. Never on the phone.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
ROFL WTH? :spock:

Just a silly joke. You know me.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I think most people believe they are better divers than other people.

I leave nary a splash.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Anyone with an IQ below, say, 120 shouldn't drive and use their cell phone at the same time.

It's aptitude, not intelligence but we agree on principle.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I love it when people claim THEY drive good while on the phone. As if you even know since you're not paying attention to a goddamn thing around you, I'd be willing to bet that the other drivers around you feel differently. And I'd like one of them explain to me how you manage to turn your head to check your blind spot with a phone plastered to your ear. Oh wait, I already know the answer...you don't.

luv
06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I take it people in here have NEVER talked on the phone while driving?

Saulbadguy
06-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I love it when people claim THEY drive good while on the phone. As if you even know since you're not paying attention to a goddamn thing around you, I'd be willing to bet that the other drivers around you feel differently. And I'd like one of them explain to me how you manage to turn your head to check your blind spot with a phone plastered to your ear. Oh wait, I already know the answer...you don't.

Simple. You turn your head and look at your blind spot.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Here's what I do - it's an advanced technique so follow carefully.

I move the phone, turn my head, and check. Crazy, I know. Then I can always ask the individual on the other line to repeat if I've missed something. See, driving and talking isn't difficult. You just have to make a commitment to the driving part of what you're doing. I know there are millions of people who are incapable of doing so. Understood.

I can't juggle. I can't finger-whistle. I can't keep a hula-hoop in the air. I do not attempt those things. I can drive and talk. What can I say? I'm gifted.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I take it people in here have NEVER talked on the phone while driving?
Oh, I was guilty of doing it years ago when cell phones were first gaining popularity, but judging from what I saw from other people who were also doing it, it didn't take me too long to realize it was a significant distraction. No one knew better back then, but now we do and there's no excuse for it.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's what I do - it's an advanced technique so follow carefully.

I move the phone, turn my head, and check. Crazy, I know. Then I can always ask the individual on the other line to repeat if I've missed something. See, driving and talking isn't difficult. You just have to make a commitment to the driving part of what you're doing. I know there are millions of people who are incapable of doing so. Understood.

I can't juggle. I can't finger-whistle. I can't keep a hula-hoop in the air. I do not attempt those things. I can drive and talk. What can I say? I'm gifted.
I'm sure there are a few people who are capable of safely driving 100 mph on the interstate, so how about we let everyone do that too?

luv
06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking that the people who don't pay attention when they're on the phone are the same ones who probably didn't pay attention before we were able to blame cell phones. I'm sure that's not true of everyone, but probably the majority.

luv
06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure there are a few people who are capable of safely driving 100 mph on the interstate, so how about we let everyone do that too?

C'mon Bugsy. Everyone's doing it. :p

Phobia
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Are you making some kind of correlation to something I've said?

Lzen
06-15-2010, 12:44 PM

What makes you think that I don't already do that?

06-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Wow, this thread got a little heated in my absense. heh

Phobia
06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm not mad. I'm just having a candid conversation about something controversial. If I had been hit by some idiot on a cell phone I'd be mad too. I understand both sides but I'll always make the aptitude argument.

luv
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm not mad. I'm just having a candid conversation about something controversial. If I had been hit by some idiot on a cell phone I'd be mad too. I understand both sides but I'll always make the aptitude argument.

You playing devil's advocate? No way.

Bearcat
06-15-2010, 04:49 PM

I know I drive well while talking on a cell phone because I exhibit the same behavior... checking mirrors and blind spots, making sure I'm not hanging out on the left when other cars are trying to pass, not randomly slowing down/changing lanes/etc.

I also know I drive well because I could think of several close calls over the years, and none come to mind that involves me with a cell phone in my hand. Believe me, if I ever had an "oh shit" moment where I wasn't paying attention and almost hit someone, I'd take note on what was distracting me.

And yeah, one reason no incidents come to mind is I'm not chattering away when I'm trying to pass semis in the pouring rain (or in the pouring rain, in general), and sometimes I'll tell someone to hold on if I'm at one of the larger pains in the ass, like I70/I35/670 downtown. Like Phil said, it is a distraction, it's how and when you choose to handle the distraction that's the issue.

As far as the blind spot, I normally use speaker phone in the car (and I can tell my phone "call Bug Eater" so I don't have to look up the number), so I just talk with the phone in front of me instead of having 'tunnel vision' or whatever.

Actually, on a highway where you could handle it, everyone driving 100mph would be safer than only a few people driving that fast. ;)

Bearcat
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
You playing devil's advocate? No way.

That's not what aptitude means...

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Are you making some kind of correlation to something I've said?
You were basically saying that since YOU can do it safely, then it shouldn't be an issue for anyone to do it. At least that's what I'm getting out of this.

I know I drive well while talking on a cell phone because I exhibit the same behavior... checking mirrors and blind spots, making sure I'm not hanging out on the left when other cars are trying to pass, not randomly slowing down/changing lanes/etc.

I also know I drive well because I could think of several close calls over the years, and none come to mind that involves me with a cell phone in my hand. Believe me, if I ever had an "oh shit" moment where I wasn't paying attention and almost hit someone, I'd take note on what was distracting me.

And yeah, one reason no incidents come to mind is I'm not chattering away when I'm trying to pass semis in the pouring rain (or in the pouring rain, in general), and sometimes I'll tell someone to hold on if I'm at one of the larger pains in the ass, like I70/I35/670 downtown. Like Phil said, it is a distraction, it's how and when you choose to handle the distraction that's the issue.

As far as the blind spot, I normally use speaker phone in the car (and I can tell my phone "call Bug Eater" so I don't have to look up the number), so I just talk with the phone in front of me instead of having 'tunnel vision' or whatever.
Well yeah, if you're using a hands-free device, then I don't have a problem with it. There's a world of difference IMO. You then free up your hands and head movement, and there's something about having a phone up to your ear that makes people feel like they're sitting in their recliner at home chatting away...and driving becomes secondary.

Bearcat
06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Well yeah, if you're using a hands-free device, then I don't have a problem with it. There's a world of difference IMO. You then free up your hands and head movement, and there's something about having a phone up to your ear that makes people feel like they're sitting in their recliner at home chatting away...and driving becomes secondary.

It's not hands-free, but I don't normally drive with two hands on the wheel anyway. I know what you're saying though, and I still think it comes down to how you deal with distractions and when you decide to talk versus just drive.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
You were basically saying that since YOU can do it safely, then it shouldn't be an issue for anyone to do it. At least that's what I'm getting out of this.

No. I'm saying that people should know their limits. I can't rock climb so you're not going to see me scaling cliffs anytime soon. It would not be wise. I can't text and drive so I don't. I can hold a casual conversation and drive - as can many others. If you can then do. If you can't, it should be reasonably obvious quickly.

I just don't know how you legislate aptitude issues. If I tried to swim across the Lake of the Ozarks, I'm fairly sure there would be a water rescue about 400 yards into my swim. That rescue would cost somebody some money. But how do you legislate "Do not swim across the lake?" It's a dumb law because there are a lot of people who can and do swim across the lake safely.

luv
06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
That's not what aptitude means...

Yes, I realize that. I guess I was responding to him more than I was what he was saying.

kcfanXIII
06-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree also, but sometimes you have to do that when everybody decides the passing lane is for talking on the phone and driving 50...

If the slow people would stay in their respective lane there would be less trouble.. I know when I am not passing or driving slower then normal my ass is not in the left lane..

this, some people drive like that cause they are dumb, some people drive like that to get around the idiots that don't know how to drive with manners.

06-15-2010, 09:53 PM
No. I'm saying that people should know their limits. I can't rock climb so you're not going to see me scaling cliffs anytime soon. It would not be wise. I can't text and drive so I don't. I can hold a casual conversation and drive - as can many others. If you can then do. If you can't, it should be reasonably obvious quickly.

I just don't know how you legislate aptitude issues. If I tried to swim across the Lake of the Ozarks, I'm fairly sure there would be a water rescue about 400 yards into my swim. That rescue would cost somebody some money. But how do you legislate "Do not swim across the lake?" It's a dumb law because there are a lot of people who can and do swim across the lake safely.Here is my issue with that line of thinking though. What if they seriously injure someone or even worse, kill someone because they don't know they can't do it safely. I would rather it just be illegal as a primary offense than try to weed out the idiots.

LaChapelle
06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Probably gave you your first woody in years/rusty rear hatch
those of us with a not so victorian upbring would have just wanked
it in her general direction

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
im readiin g tis while im drving

Pablo
06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
im readiin g tis while im drvingStop and grab a 1/5 of whiskey while you're at it.

No need to kill a good buzz with a long drive.

RJ
06-15-2010, 10:08 PM

I just don't know how you legislate aptitude issues. If I tried to swim across the Lake of the Ozarks, I'm fairly sure there would be a water rescue about 400 yards into my swim. That rescue would cost somebody some money. But how do you legislate "Do not swim across the lake?" It's a dumb law because there are a lot of people who can and do swim across the lake safely.

Some people handle alcohol better than others. Should they be allowed to drink and drive?

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Sure, in a perfect world an honor system would be fine. But it's clear to me from what I see on a daily basis that many people either don't know their limits or are completely disregarding them. I honestly believe that most of them have no idea how badly they are driving because they are so preoccupied with their conversations.

As far as how to legislate it, well that's pretty simple, you ban it for everyone.

Bearcat
06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Here is my issue with that line of thinking though. What if they seriously injure someone or even worse, kill someone because they don't know they can't do it safely. I would rather it just be illegal as a primary offense than try to weed out the idiots.

Like.... driving?

Some people handle alcohol better than others. Should they be allowed to drink and drive?

There's a pretty clear legal limit on that one...

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
There's a pretty clear legal limit on that one...
I have no doubt that there are a lot of people who are indeed capable of safely driving a car at that limit. In fact, I think most people are, the .08 limit is ridiculous.

luv
06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I have no doubt that there are a lot of people who are indeed capable of safely driving a car at that limit. In fact, I think most people are, the .08 limit is ridiculous.

Is that sarcasm?

luv
06-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Is that sarcasm?

I have no idea why (maybe it's because I watched the damn froglight video), but typing sarcasm got me to thinking about the word orgasm as well. Both end in asm (obviously). Time for a little research.

LetsSignRussell
06-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Is that sarcasm?

we can only hope

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I have no idea why (maybe it's because I watched the damn froglight video), but typing sarcasm got me to thinking about the word orgasm as well. Both end in asm (obviously). Time for a little research.

You're funny. Women don't orgasm.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Is that sarcasm?
Not at all, .08 is barely even buzzed. But there are probably a handful of people out there that aren't very good drivers to begin with and are a hazard at that point, so therefore we all have to live with it.

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Not at all, .08 is barely even buzzed. But there are probably a handful of people out there that aren't very good drivers to begin with and are a hazard at that point, so therefore we all have to live with it.

Better to live with it than die without it.

LetsSignRussell
06-15-2010, 10:24 PM

:clap:

nice DP btw

Bearcat
06-15-2010, 10:25 PM

I'd like to know what .08 feels like, .16, .24, etc... I've seen charts that say .08 is not all that much, and I've seen a calculator online that says for a 200lb male, it's like 7 beers in an hour.

There's just something about buying a breathalyzer online that's a bit creepy....

luv
06-15-2010, 10:26 PM
You're funny. Women don't orgasm.

So all women are like that? Whew! I thought it was just me.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Eh, whatever. Seems every time I hear about a drunk driver killing other people they are 2-3 times over the legal limit.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd like to know what .08 feels like, .16, .24, etc... I've seen charts that say .08 is not all that much, and I've seen a calculator online that says for a 200lb male, it's like 7 beers in an hour.

There's just something about buying a breathalyzer online that's a bit creepy....
I've heard drinking two beers in an hour can put you close to the limit. As far as how it 'feels', I'm guessing it depends on your tolerance. A hardcore drinker probably hardly feels that at all.

Sure-Oz
06-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I see so many dumbass drivers on a daily basis, hoping they dont kill someone someday

luv
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
1579, from L.L. sarcasmos, from Gk. sarkasmos "a sneer, jest, taunt, mockery," from sarkazein "to speak bitterly, sneer," lit. "to strip off the flesh," from sarx (gen. sarkos) "flesh," prop. "piece of meat," from PIE base *twerk- "to cut" (cf. Avestan thwares "to cut"). Sarcastic is from 1695. For nuances of usage, see humor.

1680s, from Fr. orgasme, from Gk. orgasmos "excitement, swelling," from organ "be in heat, become ripe for," lit. "to swell, be excited," related to orge "impulse, excitement, anger," from PIE base *wrog- "to burgeon, swell with strength" (cf. Skt. urja "a nourishment, sap, vigor," O.Ir. ferc, ferg "anger"). The verb is attested from 1973, originally and usually in reference to a woman's sexual climax. Orgasmic is attested from 1935.

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Orgasmic is attested from 1935.

Funny, that's the year I was born.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:00 PM

That's actually a lot better example than at first I thought.

I think that we probably do allow them to drink and drive by virtue of not stopping them for a symptom of drunken driving when somebody who isn't quite as tolerant would have weaved or overcompensated, resulting in probable cause for a traffic stop.

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Here is my issue with that line of thinking though. What if they seriously injure someone or even worse, kill someone because they don't know they can't do it safely. I would rather it just be illegal as a primary offense than try to weed out the idiots.

I'm all for weeding out idiots. Some people can't drive at night and have restrictions on their licenses. Restrict any idiot who gets stopped doing something stupid while on the phone. Take their license for a while if they wreck while talking on the phone. While we're at it, let's require frequent testing for elderly. There are a lot of old folks who shouldn't even be driving the cart at Price Chopper and we let them tool around our streets.

KCChiefsMan
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I have to agree with Phil here, some people can handle talking on the cell while driving and some can't. I'm happy that I am one of those people who can do that. I try not to talk in high traffic. I think it's up to what the individual is capable of. Women are bad enough drivers as it is, they definitely should not be doing anything but focusing on the road. When I'm talking on the phone and driving, my main attention is still behind the wheel and I am always aware of my surroundings.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I have to agree with Phil here, some people can handle talking on the cell while driving and some can't. I'm happy that I am one of those people who can do that. I try not to talk in high traffic. I think it's up to what the individual is capable of. Women are bad enough drivers as it is, they definitely should not be doing anything but focusing on the road. When I'm talking on the phone and driving, my main attention is still behind the wheel and I am always aware of my surroundings.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know that? Have you had someone follow you to verify that you are indeed driving well, or do you just think that you are driving good?

06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm all for weeding out idiots. Some people can't drive at night and have restrictions on their licenses. Restrict any idiot who gets stopped doing something stupid while on the phone. Take their license for a while if they wreck while talking on the phone. While we're at it, let's require frequent testing for elderly. There are a lot of old folks who shouldn't even be driving the cart at Price Chopper and we let them tool around our streets.Keep in mind my bias here since I have been blasted by one of these idiots. That near miss yesterday just lit my fire again. Far as I am concerned it should be illegal. I know Kansas has entertained this option in the past and I hope they revisit it soon.

Bugeater
06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Keep in mind my bias here since I have been blasted by one of these idiots. That near miss yesterday just lit my fire again. Far as I am concerned it should be illegal. I know Kansas has entertained this option in the past and I hope they revisit it soon.
So it was eventually confirmed that the person that hit you was on the phone?

06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
So it was eventually confirmed that the person that hit you was on the phone?yep

Phobia
06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Keep in mind my bias here since I have been blasted by one of these idiots. That near miss yesterday just lit my fire again. Far as I am concerned it should be illegal. I know Kansas has entertained this option in the past and I hope they revisit it soon.

Yank their license for a year. If you're on the phone and cause an accident, suspend your license period.

petegz28
06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Phone on face + driving a vehicle = moron behind wheel

stevieray
06-16-2010, 12:12 AM
wait a sec, I gotta take this call.