PDA

View Full Version : Life Would it bother you if your SO/spouse made more money than you?

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Spinoff of the Huffman thread. Finances are a huge factor in relationships as everyone already knows. My question is exactly what I stated, would it bother you if your spouse or SO made more money than you did? Obviously I am kind of aiming this at the male posters on the board. Would it hurt your "ego" if she made more money? Once my fiance gets out of school she will make a lot more money than I do. I don't really have a problem with that but sometimes my pride makes me want to make more money than she will. I guess it also depends on your spouse or SO in regards to if they would use that factor against you and throw it in your face. I would assume most would not, but in a fight many people say things they wouldn't always say.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2010, 07:05 AM
My wife does make more money than I do, although she does work a lot of overtime. So no, I don't mind at all.

Huffman83
06-15-2010, 07:06 AM
I obviously would have no problem w/ it.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-15-2010, 07:06 AM
My wife makes a lot more money then me. It doesn't bother me at all.

Rooster
06-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I make more but not a lot more. If she came home tonight and said she got a nice raise I would be very excited for both of us. Marriage is a team sport IMO. There is no need for foolish pride to get in the way.

seclark
06-15-2010, 07:11 AM
i wish my wife made more money than me...i know she spends a helluva lot more money than me.

i used to say if she'd get a 2nd job, i'd retire. then she took one over Christmas season a couple years ago at a clothing store. she spent all she made and more buying clothes for the grandkids. wtf? we actually saved when she quit.
sec

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 07:12 AM
My wife makes a lot more money then me. It doesn't bother me at all.

I'm curious to see why it doesn't bother you, if you don't mind expounding a little?

Bane
06-15-2010, 07:12 AM
I currently make 2 times what she makes,so if it were reversed I think I'd be fine with it.This is the woman I am going to spend the rest of my life with so it wouldn't be an issue.

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I make more but not a lot more. If she came home tonight and said she got a nice raise I would be very excited for both of us. Marriage is a team sport IMO. There is no need for foolish pride to get in the way.

REP, good post. I try to remember that.

Rausch
06-15-2010, 07:13 AM
For the first four years I made more.
Then for the next 7 She made more.
Now it's back to me making more again.

For us whomever made more managed the money...

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
i wish my wife made more money than me...i know she spends a helluva lot more money than me.

i used to say if she'd get a 2nd job, i'd retire. then she took one over Christmas season a couple years ago at a clothing store. she spent all she made and more buying clothes for the grandkids. wtf? we actually saved when she quit.sec

ROFL Ohhh man, im sorry but that really made me LOL.

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I currently make 2 times what she makes,so if it were reversed I think I'd be fine with it.This is the woman I am going to spend the rest of my life with so it wouldn't be an issue.

Kudos. I agree with your last sentence also :clap:

KCUnited
06-15-2010, 07:17 AM
My wife makes more than I do. She has been in her industry longer and is very well respected. Not only does it not bother me, but the fact that she is a true professional and rock star at what she does is one of the things that attracted me to her.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm curious to see why it doesn't bother you, if you don't mind expounding a little?

My wife has worked hard to earn every penny that she makes. There is no reason to begrudge her that.

The more money that comes into our household to support our family and allow us to do more things as family is a good thing. Who is responsible for bringing the money in is irrellevant.

kc rush
06-15-2010, 07:25 AM
My wife used to make slightly more money than me, but that is gone now that she stays home with the kids. I'd love for her to go back to work full-time just to have that comfort of knowing the bills will be paid if anything was to happen to my job again.

Her making more than me didn't/wouldn't bother me at all.

Gonzo
06-15-2010, 07:25 AM
I've made more money than Lumpy for years but not anymore. It doesn't bother me at all but she's definitely not making what she's worth. She really busts her ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't think the fact that she made more money than me would bother me. We need more money, and her making more would be a major plus for us.

What would bother me is that she was making more money than me with no college degree. Would probably make me feel like my degree was devalued.

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Hell no. My ex made more than me and I was proud of her. If I marry a girl who makes as much or me than me then we'll be in sound financial shape.

Rausch
06-15-2010, 07:31 AM
If I marry a girl who makes as much or me than me then we'll be in sound financial shape.

Next time I marry for money...

Otter
06-15-2010, 07:47 AM
I have no problem with woman who make more money than me.

Lzen
06-15-2010, 07:48 AM
My wife does make more than I do and I have no problem with it. As a matter of fact, I told her that she needs to figure out how to double her income so I can just stay home while she works. :D

Otter
06-15-2010, 07:50 AM
My wife does make more than I do and I have no problem with it. As a matter of fact, I told her that she needs to figure out how to double her income so I can just stay home while she works. :D

That's what I'm talkin' about.

I can make some crazy cash on the side while watching old kung foo movies in my boxers, waking up at noon and drinking cocktail by the pool. Just tell me when to look pretty sweetheart.

EDIT: Once again, a noob misses the Gaz option. DaFace, make an example of this man

seclark
06-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Next time I marry for money...

damn straight...
she's got money
she's got one foot in the grave
everything's in my name

trifecta!
sec

BigRedChief
06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Hell no. My ex made more than me and I was proud of her. If I marry a girl who makes as much or me than me then that would be awsome.
FYP.

alpha_omega
06-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Wouldn't bother me. In fact, i just wish my wife had a job at all!

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
FYP.

Well done, sir!

Rausch
06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Wouldn't bother me. In fact, i just wish my wife had a job at all!

This...

Rain Man
06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
the problem is not the guy's attitude. the problem is the woman getting all uppity if she makes more. from what i've seen, things are shared equally when the guy makes more, but if the woman makes more then you have the 'why don't you make more' arguments and the 'i make more so the difference is mine' arguments. the sense of teamwork is dependent on the woman getting more than her share.

not in every case, i'm sure, but i've observed the pattern enough to propose it as a strong theory.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 08:09 AM
the problem is not the guy's attitude. the problem is the woman getting all uppity if she makes more. from what i've seen, things are shared equally when the guy makes more, but if the woman makes more then you have the 'why don't you make more' arguments and the 'i make more so the difference is mine' arguments. the sense of teamwork is dependent on the woman getting more than her share.

not in every case, i'm sure, but i've observed the pattern enough to propose it as a strong theory.
Posted via Mobile Device

My sociology professor from 8 years ago said whoever makes more is the boss and has more say in financial decisions. While he currently made more than his wife, and was the boss in financial matters, he admitted that once he retired in a couple of years she would become the boss.

Consistent1
06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
I think Rain Man makes a good point. It also gives people like in-laws ammo to put in commentary,etc. If the male makes all/more money, that is fine. If it is the other way around, people put their two cents in more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huffman83
06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't think the fact that she made more money than me would bother me. We need more money, and her making more would be a major plus for us.

What would bother me is that she was making more money than me with no college degree. Would probably make me feel like my degree was devalued.

I don't have a college degree and my wife has 2. I make more money than her and she's still paying off the degrees.

I think it bothers her a whole lot more than she admits.

I come from a family that wasn't big on education unfortunately. So they worked hard and did very well for themselves.

Her family is all about education and they're broke.

Go figure!

Rain Man
06-15-2010, 08:22 AM
My sociology professor from 8 years ago said whoever makes more is the boss and has more say in financial decisions. While he currently made more than his wife, and was the boss in financial matters, he admitted that once he retired in a couple of years she would become the boss.

there may be truth in this. it's odd, though, how the dynamic shifts when the ratio goes from 55/45 to 45/55.

i've been married 19 years and have made more money or been the main breadwinner in consulting income for 12 of those. i've seen both situations and it's easier if I make more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
06-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't have a college degree and my wife has 2. I make more money than her and she's still paying off the degrees.

I think it bothers her a whole lot more than she admits.

I come from a family that wasn't big on education unfortunately. So they worked hard and did very well for themselves.

Her family is all about education and they're broke.

Go figure!

If you work you make money.

If you aren't working you build debt.

The longer you build debt the longer you'll have to work to pay it off.

If you have debt you have to increase what you earn or increase how much you work.

THE END...

Huffman83
06-15-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't think it's foolish pride to know when you're being a doormat and not putting up with it.

I'm all for marriage being a team sport. But when you're the LT for a QB that doesn't get rid of the ball and then you get blamed for it.

You'd have an issue w/ that teammate as well.

wildcat09
06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
My wife has a higher base salary than I do but I bring home some pretty decent commission bonuses every quarter so by the end of the year, I actually bring more home. If she made more than me (and she might be someday very soon) I would be fine with it. She is a very talented women and she deserves to be compensated accordingly. I am proud of what she has accomplished at a very young age. I would be just fine staying home and playing golf all day.

Rausch
06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't think it's foolish pride to know when you're being a doormat and not putting up with it.

I'm all for marriage being a team sport. But when you're the LT for a QB that doesn't get rid of the ball and then you get blamed for it.

You'd have an issue w/ that teammate as well.

So.........this is NOT a money question.

Huffman83
06-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I mean...it is a football team fan forum...it seemed relevant at the time!

petegz28
06-15-2010, 08:39 AM
If my wife made more money than me I would just see it as her making up for all the years I made more than her. LMAO

Jilly
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
I wish Sully had a job and if he made less or more than me, I wouldn't care a bit. I'd be happy for the extra income and so would he.

SenselessChiefsFan
06-15-2010, 08:43 AM
If my wife ever makes more than me.... I will forgive her for throwing it in my face. I wish that was a problem that I could have at least once in my life.

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 08:44 AM
I wish Sully had a job and if he made less or more than me, I wouldn't care a bit. I'd be happy for the extra income and so would he.

I guess Rain Man is right. The woman brings home the dough and she even speaks for the guy. :D

|Zach|
06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Wouldn't bother me.

Jilly
06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I guess Rain Man is right. The woman brings home the dough and she even speaks for the guy. :D

Perhaps. Although, I am sure he's not responding in this thread as he's getting my supper ready for tonight, doing my laundry, and cleaning my house! :D I'm kidding. He's probably just trying to conquer level 5 on Red Dead Redemption.

boogblaster
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
She doesn't but she gives me all that she doesn't spend on her little things she wants so how could i care more money for the pile suits me fine ...

ModSocks
06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Fuck no. Bring it on baby. Make me a househusband!

luv
06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
**** no. Bring it on baby. Make me a househusband!

Awesome. You can sweep, vacuum, dust, wash dishes, do laundry, cut coupons, plan meals, do the grocery shopping, cook dinner, take the kids to school........

Great Expectations
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
My wife should make more money than me and it bothers me that she doesn't. She is very underpaid at her current job.

sedated
06-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Awesome. You can sweep, vacuum, dust, wash dishes, do laundry, cut coupons, plan meals, do the grocery shopping, cook dinner, take the kids to school........

I doubt a lot of stay-at-home moms actually do all that. Mostly they bitch about having to do everything around the house while the man is off "playing" at work.

Huffman83
06-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Bring it on. I'd rather do that than talk to someone about how their baby isn't breathing or their baby's daddy is beating them.

Lumpy
06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
It didn't bother me a bit. But then again, it doesn't bother me that Gonzo's currently unemployed. If I could make more money, he wouldn't need to get a job. He could relax, spend more time w/ his son, go hunting, play his PS3, whatever. I don't mind working my ass off, although a vacation would be nice.

DJ's left nut
06-15-2010, 09:54 AM

I'm sorry, but this annoys me a bit...scratch that, it annoys me a lot.

Sweeping - once a week; perhaps 1/2 an hour.
Vacuuming -- once a week; perhaps an hour
Dusting -- once every 2 weeks, perhaps an hour
washing dishes -- nightly for perhaps 1/2 an hour
Chaperone -- maybe an hour/day.
laundry -- sorting: an hour/week, folding: 2 hours/week, changing loads: 2 hours/week
Coupons -- Who cuts coupons? In either event, maybe an hour a week.
Plan and cook meals -- we'll go all the way to 1.5 hours/day (way way high)
Groceries -- 2 hours/week.

So in a week we get .5+1+.5+4+1+7+2+2+1+10+2 == a whopping 31 hours per week (over 7 days, mind you).

And you know what the husband will get for his efforts? A whole lot of bitching that his wife has to take the children everywhere, clean the house, prepare all the meals and do all the shopping. That he never helps around the house or spends time with the kids, etc, etc... So the husband will be expected the 'shoulder' some of the load as well.

Sorry, but being a housewife would be a freakin' sweet gig.

DeezNutz
06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

It's the loss of outside adult contact that is the major bitch.

DJ's left nut
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I make significantly more than my wife by virtue of my profession alone - she's probably better at what she does than I am at what I do.

At the same time, when she picks up her Master's in nursing here in a couple of years, she'll probably make close to as much, if not more than I do.

If she passes me, I won't care a bit. Much like in the other thread, I'll note that the whole thing is a joint venture. If she makes more, that's a whole lot of pressure it takes off of me to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak.

I would see it as a load off my back more than anything.

ModSocks
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I doubt a lot of stay-at-home moms actually do all that. Mostly they bitch about having to do everything around the house while the man is off "playing" at work.

THIS.

They do about half that list and then bitch about it.

KCUnited
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Sweeping - once a week; perhaps 1/2 an hour.
Vacuuming -- once a week; perhaps an hour
Dusting -- once every 2 weeks, perhaps an hour
washing dishes -- nightly for perhaps 1/2 an hour
Chaperone -- maybe an hour/day.
laundry -- sorting: an hour/week, folding: 2 hours/week, changing loads: 2 hours/week
Coupons -- Who cuts coupons? In either event, maybe an hour a week.
Plan and cook meals -- we'll go all the way to 1.5 hours/day (way way high)
Groceries -- 2 hours/week.

So in a week we get .5+1+.5+4+1+7+2+2+1+10+2 == a whopping 31 hours per week (over 7 days, mind you).

And you know what the husband will get for his efforts? A whole lot of bitching that his wife has to take the children everywhere, clean the house, prepare all the meals and do all the shopping. That he never helps around the house or spends time with the kids, etc, etc... So the husband will be expected the 'shoulder' some of the load as well.

Sorry, but being a housewife would be a freakin' sweet gig.
Plus, the quarterly performance review on housewifing is a lose/lose situation.

Brock
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
If she did, I wouldn't have to work. So NO, it wouldn't bother me.

DJ's left nut
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
It's the loss of outside adult contact that is the major bitch.

Fair point, but it would again seem to show how flawed the idea is.

I just don't understand the 'stay at home mom' concept. It's beneath most women, IMO and it creates a pretty strained division of labor at home.

I suppose the argument would be that it creates a far better environment for the children to grow up in at the expense of the parents and is therefore the unselfish approach, but I also have to wonder how often that arrangement leads to an unhealthy (or perhaps failed) marriage. Which would certainly have a far more damaging impact on a child than would Day Care.

DeezNutz
06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Fair point, but it would again seem to show how flawed the idea is.

I just don't understand the 'stay at home mom' concept. It's beneath most women, IMO and it creates a pretty strained division of labor at home.

I suppose the argument would be that it creates a far better environment for the children to grow up in at the expense of the parents and is therefore the unselfish approach, but I also have to wonder how often that arrangement leads to an unhealthy (or perhaps failed) marriage. Which would certainly have a far more damaging impact on a child than would Day Care.

Depends what the lesser-paid spouse (typically the woman) makes. For example, if she's making $10 per hour and the husband has a strong, salary position, it might make more sense, all things considered, for the wife to stay home because she wouldn't be earning enough to justify the high cost of daycare and the other ramifications.

El Jefe
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

ROFL ROFL so very true ROFL ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm the first to admit that I can be egotistical. A little self-centered, conceited, and downright narcissistic at times. But only a fool would be angered, or butt-hurt by MORE money.

Dave Lane
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd love it.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
If she did, I wouldn't have to work. So NO, it wouldn't bother me.

Fuckin' A. My wife has often said she wishes she made enough money that I could be a "house hubby". I wish she did too. :)

DJ's left nut
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Depends what the lesser-paid spouse (typically the woman) makes. For example, if she's making $10 per hour and the husband has a strong, salary position, it might make more sense, all things considered, for the wife to stay home because she wouldn't be earning enough to justify the high cost of daycare and the other ramifications.

I honestly think I'd still be opposed to it.

At that point the roles in the relationship are just so far apart from each other that common ground seems impossible. Suddenly it seems less like a partnership to me. Instead you seem to have 2 divisions within the marriage.

If it were absolutely necessary to make ends meet, I suppose I could see it as a last alternative, but I'd do everything I could to keep it from happening.

ModSocks
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
****in' A. My wife has often said she wishes she made enough money that I could be a "house hubby". I wish she did too. :)

Damn straight. If i were a house husband, not only would the house be clean, but I'd actually be able to get MORE shit done then she would. Like yard work, getting shit taken care of on the car and some of the other stuff that is left for me when i get home.

Frazod
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd love it.

THIS

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
My question is exactly what I stated, would it bother you if your spouse or SO made more money than you did? Obviously I am kind of aiming this at the male posters on the board. Would it hurt your "ego" if she made more money? Once my fiance gets out of school she will make a lot more money than I do. I don't really have a problem with that but sometimes my pride makes me want to make more money than she will.

I've been with my wife for nearly 15 years. During that time, we've each supported each other financially while the other reaches certain goals or dreams.

For the year, I paid for all of the rent and bills. For nine months after that, she paid for the rent and bills while I pursued my "interest". After that, she took off nearly 18 months pursuing her interests and I paid for everything.

In 1999, she got a job using her degree in mathematics, along with some of her pursuits during her non-working period. I continued to make more money than her until the end of 2001, when she was handed a whopping six-figure bonus the week of Christmas.

From there, I supported her in a start-up business. We went back and forth on the earnings scale until it was evident that her business was going to earn a ton of money for us with very little time involved (maybe four hours a day combined between the two of us). I left Paramount to oversee the remodel of our home (which took the better part of 5 years) and to grow her business.

In 2008, she opened her first Pilates studio in Downtown LA and just bought the franchise rights to Long Beach. We sold off our successful business that was started in 2001 and just last year, I started my own company, which is just beginning to take off.

For us, it's not about "who makes more money", it's about helping and supporting each other's dreams and ambitions. I learned a long, long time ago that if someone isn't happy with their life, they're not going to be happy with me, and vice versa.

So, we do our best to make sure that we're both fulfilled.

sedated
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
but I also have to wonder how often that arrangement leads to an unhealthy (or perhaps failed) marriage. Which would certainly have a far more damaging impact on a child than would Day Care.

Day care is so expensive that its usually worth it in the short-term to have one stay-at-home parent. But we are only talking the first few years; once the kid is off to school there isn't a point to it. Although by then the wife has gotten so used to not working that she will do anything to not go back to work, from inflating the amount of daily work that is actually invovled with staying home, to "forgetting" to take her pill so she can squeeze out another one and have another 5-year layoff from her job. A couple kids later, and she is suddenly unqualified to go back to the workforce. This causes a huge fight, she listens to all her "take the money and run" divorced friends, uses her husbands money to get an expensive lawyer, she claims that her endentured servitude cost her the profitable career she had before, takes him to the cleaners, and she spends her days chasing the lawn-boy at her ex-husband's ex-house with his ex-money.

GoHuge
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not married, but I'm pretty proud of the CP men and their self confidence on this issue. The last serious girlfriend I had was really big into the money and talking about it. At the time I had my BA and she had a triple major BA and her Masters. Liked to talk down to me because of it while I made three times more than she did. Didn't really understand her train of thought. I don't use my degree for really any part of my profession and she came from a super education first family. At the end of the day doesn't it really come down to cheddar rather than how much shit you hang from the wall with your name on it? I got the **** out of that deal while the gettin was good.

My younger brother has a degree as well, but my dad and three other brothers don't have a degree and kick mine and my brothers ass as far as income goes. Ego has no place in a healthy relationship whether it be because of education level or income. Having seen it done the right way my entire life I knew this chick wasn't for me. I'd love to find a career woman that had her own goals and ambitions. If she made more it wouldn't bother me in the least. I do what I love, work hard at it, make good money, and hope to find a lady someday that stands on her own two feet as well. I would think that would make for a healthier relationship, but I admit I have to yield to the people here that have experienced it as I have not. After reading most of the responses my way of thinking seems to be a good blueprint to go off of anyway.

Both of my parents are over $100K earners and they've done it wonderfully together. My dad makes significantly more than her, but he as well as all of us kids are very proud of her for being a kickass professional. Growing up my dad paid the bills (house payment, utilities, etc) and mom paid to keep the house going (groceries, all of our clothes, school shit, etc). They have a joint checking account and both have their own personal checking accounts. I've seen them over the years just go and buy for themselves whatever they want and the other thinks it's kickass or silly, but there is no resentment or asking permission. The only time my dad bitched was when he thought our mom was spoiling us too much. Sometimes it was a playful competition between the two. Last year my mom decided she was going to buy a new car and just did it. My dad loved it and was happy she did it. They have a fairly decent sized "farm" that is really just a bunch of land they live on and any crops planted are food plots for hunting. Anyway about two weeks later my mom came home to see a new Case 90 XT skidsteer parked in the garage were my mom parks her new car. This was on the saturday of Father's day weekend. We were all home for the weekend and looking outside the windows or standing outside to see the look on mom's face when she opened the garage door. She started laughing hysterically and got out of her new fancy car and gave my Dad a hug and kiss while all of us kids, wives, husbands, and significant others were clapping and laughing our asses off. They pretty much own free and clear everything they have and now just spoil the shit out of the grandkids. My Dad is 66 and Mom 54 and they still do date night probably once a week. It's pretty awesome to witness when you see greed and other stupid bullshit tearing other marriages apart nowadays. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to find a woman that wants to emulate what my parents have used to great success and happiness. Of course it helps to make enough money between two people were money isn't a source of stress or ambiguity.

Tip of the cap to all of you that make it work. I know it isn't always easy.

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would care. More money for the family is a good thing.

Sandyskc
06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I made almost twice what he did when we started dating and it wasn't a problem. Now he makes more. It all goes into the same account anyway.

Hydrae
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM

THIS

I have related this here before but this seems like a good place for a reprisal of my experiences. This is not about who made more money, that has never been an issue. It is about having a stay-at-home wife/mother. After our third child was born, money was an issue for us. I worked 2 jobs for a while to get us through but after a couple of years my wife went to work to help out. This allowed my to work just the one job which was a nice relief. At the same time though, I found myself busier helping out around the house. I got home before she did so I did most of the cooking. By the time she got home, dinner would be on the way, there might be laundry going and I would have gone through the kid's paperwork from school that day.

We did this for a couple of years and then I got an opportunity to earn enough more income that they wife didn't have to work. Having her staying home took more pressure off of my than I realized I had taken on. Now when I get home from work, I am home. No worrying about cleaning or cooking. I have more time and energy for my kids or working in the garden or just playing on the computer. I also have more time and energy for my wife and my kids have an adult available to them at all times. We have raised our kids for the most part without farming them out to a daycare which we believe has given them a stronger foundation to build upon.

I am and will always be a strong proponent for having a stay-at-home parent. It is not for everyone but I think those who have never been there have no clue the positive difference it can make in their lives even considering the reduced income levels.

BIG K
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Heck, If she made more money than me, I would retire and be 'kept' man....:)

Gracie Dean
06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
it has worked well for us for the last 9 years.

We don't have it down to every penny. Hubby gets paid 2 times a month and I get paid once a month. His check covers Vehicle and Insurance and the flexible utilities, cell cable and health insurance. He also puts a LOT in savings. Out of his checks, he pays for any CC usage that he made.

I get paid once a month. My check goes to the things that never change. Mortgage and the escrow for house insurance and taxes. I pay the student loans and also a home loan when we had a new AC/Heat unit installed. My check also pays for all the groceries and when we go out to eat. I also pay for any CC usage I have. My check also covers incidentals like Oil changes giving the daughter food money once in a while ect...

We are both on both accounts and the savings. It is not like we don't communicate or anything...we do. We keep all the bills together in a notebook and cross out when things get paid. This way tho, if I spend 50 bucks at the grocery store, he can't be upset because he was only planning to spend 30 on groceries and maybe 15 at the hardware store...

It works for us and we have not fought about money or bills since we started this method...OH and our credit has steadily gone up as we neither one want to be late or cause any strife.