PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What Did I Hear? Fill Me In...

gblowfish
06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
On the way back to the office I heard Nick Wright on 610 wrapping up a conversation about Chiefs training camp and Clark Hunt. Something about nickel and diming the players, making them pay for queen size mattresses for their rooms in training camp, only giving them one game jersey and making them pay for any extras, not getting to keep your helmet, etc. Did any of you guys catch any of that? I guess the crux of it was some of the callers were trying to imply that Clark is a cheapskate, and worries about making a couple of extra thousand samolias, when he's already a multi millionaire. Did anybody hear the full conversation? I couldn't find any details on line. Are the Chiefs cheapskates as far as this kind of stuff goes, and how does that compare to other NFL teams? Aren't we one of the few teams that still make their players stay in college dorm rooms in training camp?

In searching around though, I did find something interesting. A picture of Clark Hunt's house in Dallas. Google Maps are pretty damn cool!

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/clark-hunts-house/view/?service=0

LetsSignRussell
06-15-2010, 03:29 PM
THE BIG 12 IS HERE TO STAY!!!

ModSocks
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Sounds like BS to me. Just more Clark Bashing.

boogblaster
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
they dont get to be millionaires by kindness

Dante84
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Some days I only get half an hour for lunch.

kepp
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
And I heard the proceeds from all those fines are going only to Clark when they should be equally divided among....wait...wrong thread.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
It was because Nick had a source that told him the Chiefs are making the players bring their own fridge and TV if they want one in their room. In addition, the Chiefs said they would charge the players for their beds - a queen air mattress will cost them $300 and they can pay $200 more for memory foam.

Nick was basically ripping the Chiefs for being so cheap and nickel and diming the players on top of the lowest (or almost lowest) payroll in the NFL

brandon
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
No one really said how this is handled with other teams, but it's pretty reasonable, IMO, considering they are staying in dorms. The radio guys ran out of conference realignment shit to talk, so I think they were really reaching this afternoon.

kysirsoze
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
they dont get to be Billionaires by kindness

FYP

gblowfish
06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
You mean, the dorms at Missouri Western are not plush and cozy? Whodathunkit???

$500 to an NFL player would be like $20 to you or me. But do other teams do this kind of stuff to their players? Seems like the Chiefs make enough money where all these guys ought to at least get a comfortable bed during training camp, and have the team pay for it.

keg in kc
06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Man, these poor, underprivileged, underpaid players are really getting the short end.

vailpass
06-15-2010, 04:03 PM
If true it's things like this that get around the league and can affect free agent's thinking. AZ Cardinals used to have exactly that reputation, no catered lunch during summer drills, etc.
Not how you want your organization to be viewed.

tyton75
06-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Fuck letting them get comfortable at training camp.. freaking girls... a bed is a bed! sleep and work fuggers!

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM

That's right.

It's tough to be a trust fund kid.

Mr. Laz
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
stupid if true ... that small amount of money means next to nothing to Hunt. If fact it might end up costing him money because it will discourage free agents from coming to KC if the team gets a rep for being cheap. Hunt will have to overpay for free agents which is millions compared to the 100's it will cost for queen size beds.

With the payroll as low as it is ... a "cheap rep" might not take long to develop.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
$500 to an NFL player would be like $20 to you or me.

Maybe for 40 or so guys on the roster that were drafted or have years of service in the NFL.

But for the guys that are street free agents with no signing bonus, they're basically playing for free in an attempt to make the club and get a weekly paycheck.

Any way you slice it, it sucks ass. And FWIW, you can get a queen sized bed at Costco for less than $400 and even less at a place like Sit And Sleep (and I don't if they have those in the KC metro area).

bevischief
06-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I remember alot of players had stuff shipped up by themselves in River Falls.

stumppy
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
If at the end of the day these guys have enough energy to worry about how nice their beds are then they aren't working hard enough.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
If at the end of the day these guys have enough energy to worry about how nice their beds are then they aren't working hard enough.

Yeah, let's round up some of the world's best athletes, many of whom are in excess of 275 pounds, and just give them a shitty twin bed to sleep on because, you know, it's training camp.

:rolleyes:

LaChapelle
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
THe Browns have been known to charge players for towels at training camp
Top that Nick Wright

ModSocks
06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I'd like to see how players are treated at other organizations before I judge the Chiefs. Im sure teams like the cowboys have great amenities but i doubt it's super common. The teams are limited to the facilities that they practice at. So obviously, any team practicing at a college campus will have college like amenities.

stumppy
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, let's round up some of the world's best athletes, many of whom are in excess of 275 pounds, and just give them a shitty twin bed to sleep on because, you know, it's training camp.

Oh pipe down Francis. That was a tongue in cheek comment.:rolleyes:

Mojo Jojo
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
But did you google for his house and office in St. Croix? Avoid income taxes and enjoy the Caribbean.

LaChapelle
06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
I really thought they were being shipped out every day from Arrowhead
staying at home in their own beds

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
This has all the makings of another 1000 page thread full of pissed off people and in the end it's not even true.

See the Pioli will not draft a safety that high thread for a perfect example.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
This has all the makings of another 1000 page thread full of pissed off people and in the end it's not even true.

See the Pioli will not draft a safety that high thread for a perfect example.

So you're stating that this report is unequivocally false?

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 06:14 PM
So you're stating that this report is unequivocally false?

Nope. Are you stating everybody didn't get their panties in a wad and act like the report Pioli wouldn't draft Berry was unequivocally true?

KChiefs1
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM

You haven't watched any films about the old Chiefs training camps or anything showing training camps in the 60's from NFL Films have you?

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Nope. Are you stating everybody didn't get their panties in a wad and act like the report Pioli wouldn't draft Berry was unequivocally true?

What does one topic have to do with the other?

cabletech94
06-15-2010, 06:18 PM
nick wright also said john henderson was a done deal.......wait, i'm mixing threads now...shit.

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
What does one topic have to do with the other?

Look I'm not in the mood to get into a pissing match with you. Go back and read my first post if you still don't get it, drop it, forget it.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Look I'm not in the mood to get into a pissing match with you. Go back and read my first post if you still don't get it, drop it, forget it.

Pissing match?

You claimed that since Pioli proved everyone wrong by choosing a safety, this report about Clark Hunt is false.

Again, the two issues are mutually exclusive, thus proving that you have no point.

el borracho
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
But for the guys that are street free agents with no signing bonus, they're basically playing for free in an attempt to make the club and get a weekly paycheck.

Playing for free? Really? What is the approximate min salary of a street free agent?

Goldmember
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, you can't have your whores shipped in and expect to get mattresses too.

Pablo
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I'll file this under:

Things I Don't Give A Shit About

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Pissing match?

You claimed that since Pioli proved everyone wrong by choosing a safety, this report about Clark Hunt is false.

Again, the two issues are mutually exclusive, thus proving that you have no point.

Ummm no. I used that story as an example of people getting wound up over nothing. I did not come close to implying that because the other story was wrong that makes this one wrong.

You know what the "point" is. You are simply arguing the poster not the post.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Playing for free? Really? What is the approximate min salary of a street free agent?

It depends. But the players don't get paid unless they're on the game day roster during the season. Without a signing bonus, they're working out and participating without compensation in hopes of making the team.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Ummm no. I used that story as an example of people getting wound up over nothing. I did not come close to implying that because the other story was wrong that makes this one wrong.

You know what the "point" is. You are simply arguing the poster not the post.

Dude, whatever. I couldn't care less who posted this idiotic comment.

Pioli choosing a safety and Clark Hunt not spending money on adequate beds for his players are mutually exclusive and in no way, shape or form should be viewed as being interconnected or related.

bevischief
But butt hash is free...

Psyko Tek

no he got there cause daddy was a billionaire

and from most reports a nice and fair man

el borracho
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
It depends. But the players don't get paid unless they're on the game day roster during the season. Without a signing bonus, they're working out and participating without compensation in hopes of making the team.

I had no idea. I still don't feel sorry for them, though. $500 is nothing in the grand scheme of life, plus they aren't obligated to pay it and they have approximately a 5/8 chance of making the team (which means a pretty good salary).

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM

I wouldn't call $800 a week with $3,000-$5,000 avg signing bonus no compensation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/52/mailbag-do-undrafted-rookies-get-paid-in-camp

Jon in Austin writes: I would be interested in a story about the economic side of the ball for the rookie free agents. How do they survive without a contract? Do they get a daily check for training camp?

Paul Kuharsky: Rookie free agents get something to sign, so there is a bit of a bonus. The average is $3,000 to $5,000 but a handful of guys courted by several teams can get $15,000 and once in a while they'll even be a $20,000 bonus.

In training camp, all rookies get per diem payments at the rate of $800 a week, which isn't bad considering they are roomed and fed.

Veterans, by the way, get $1,225 a week.

All those payments end one week before the regular season opener.

Base salaries are then paid in 17 installments over the course of the regular season.

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't call $800 a week with $3,000-$5,000 avg signing bonus no compensation.

In your haste to prove me wrong, you apparently missed my opening post on this topic:

Maybe for 40 or so guys on the roster that were drafted or have years of service in the NFL.

Titty Meat
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Been saying this for awhile now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM

He didn't become a millionaire by anything other than the birth lottery. He's not Richard Branson.

Marcellus
06-15-2010, 07:00 PM
In your haste to prove me wrong, you apparently missed my opening post on this topic:

$800 a week perdiem is not no compensation.

SAUTO
06-15-2010, 07:03 PM
dane did you watch hard knocks ever? iirc this goes down on all of them. i seem to recall tank crying because he couldnt fit in a twin....

and then they told him he could buy a queen mattress and put it across both beds.

i would bet that this type of thing is the norm....
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I hear violins. In the old days, I'll bet NFL guys would have gladly slept in their car if it meant they had a chance to make the team. Some probably did. Nowadays it's a king sized sleep number system and your chick of choice or a holdout.

FAX

BigRock
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
There was a scene during the most recent season of Hard Knocks with the Bengals where the players were meeting in the lobby of their dorm and finding out they had to pay to have TVs and such in their rooms.

From what I read shortly after that episode aired, such practices are fairly common around the league for teams staying on a college campus, and the school gets to keep the money collected from the room upgrades.

SAUTO
06-15-2010, 07:58 PM
There was a scene during the most recent season of Hard Knocks with the Bengals where the players were meeting in the lobby of their dorm and finding out they had to pay to have TVs and such in their rooms.

From what I read shortly after that episode aired, such practices are fairly common around the league for teams staying on a college campus, and the school gets to keep the money collected from the room upgrades.

i almost included the bengals in my post but wasnt sure enough to.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefGator
06-15-2010, 08:13 PM

That's what I was thinking. It's not like UF has anything more than singles in most the rooms. Hell, a full or twin is a luxury.

So, the school is willing to outfit their dorm rooms for the football players for a cost.

cdcox
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
In searching around though, I did find something interesting. A picture of Clark Hunt's house in Dallas. Google Maps are pretty damn cool!

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/clark-hunts-house/view/?service=0

Wow, Clark Hunt has his own hydro-electric dam. Al Gore must be jealous.

BIG K
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
That sucks! The players will have less money to import ho's if they have to pay for a t.v. and larger bed......

DaneMcCloud
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
$800 a week perdiem is not no compensation.

Dude, FUCK!

They aren't paid from the day they sign until the beginning of training camp. Guys like LeRoy Banks and most of the rest that were cut this year didn't earn a dime.

You have a serious reading comprehension problem, especially considering I mentioned "Around 40 guys" specifically.

alanm
06-15-2010, 09:36 PM
no he got there cause daddy was a billionaire

and from most reports a nice and fair manWell Daddy didn't provide nice beds either. If they wanted a queen sized bed they had to put two twins together up in Minnesota.

SenselessChiefsFan
06-16-2010, 05:58 AM

Actually, most do. It is their good morals, values and ethics that allow them to be successful. Sure, some are crooked, but for the most part, the ones that are first generation millionaires just work hard, and work to deliver a product that people want to buy. And, for any sustained success, that typically means working in an ethical manner.

Now, Clark isn't first generation, so this doesn't apply.

But, one day, I will be a millionaire, and I will have done it with kindness, generosity and ethics.

(Of course, if the devaluation of the dollar continues, I will be a millionaire sooner, it just won't mean as much)

Reerun_KC
06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
This is actually news worth? And worthy of whining on a Message board about?

Who gives a shit?

Chiefless
06-16-2010, 07:41 AM
IT'S BOOT CAMP! 50 of these players should just be happy to be there. The other 30 have PLENTY of money.

Dartgod
06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
As soon as I hear about the players bitching about this instead of the fans, then I'll give a fuck.

Quesadilla Joe
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
The Broncos players stay at hotels during training camp. Don't know who pays for the rooms though but I would be surprised if the team didn't pay for the players rooms.

chiefsngop
06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Part of me feels like we should do everything in our power to make our organization look appealing to future free agent prospects, and thus have nice facilities (and beds) for the guys to slumber in.

The other part of me remembers how some of these guys have played over the last few seasons (with little to no toughness at all) and wants them sleeping in three hour shifts on under inflated air matresses with a f-in drill sargeant waking them up at the ass crack of dawn for some puke your guts up PT.

Chiefless
06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
The Broncos players stay at hotels during training camp. Don't know who pays for the rooms though but I would be surprised if the team didn't pay for the players rooms.

Do they get manicures and facials too?

Mr. Laz
06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
didn't they do this at some point in the past but the players agreed to it because all the money they paid for upgrades went to children's charity of Will Shields?

ModSocks
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Do they get manicures and facials too?

Im sure they get facials, but probably not the kind of facials you were referring too.

LaChapelle
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
If a Bronco player is on the mattress
it automatically becomes Queen size

Consistent1
06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
To me, even allowing players to sleep in shit beds is stupid. Why not just give them Ramens free, and allow them to buy cans of tuna from the team for $2 bucks if they think they need protein. Rest and recovery don't mean shit when training for performance. TV's and all that shit is a different story.Players can buy that stuff themselves. Pay millions of dollars to the dudes and fret over a few hundred over fucking beds. I also don't like the "old-school" tough guy bullshit. Just have them sleep on the damn field then.
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/6/16/1521349/chiefs-get-called-out-for-being

SenselessChiefsFan
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM

They get paid for training camp work. They don't work without compensation.

LaChapelle
06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Write it off and donate 'em to a homeless shelter
after a good cleaning of course
if the economy don't pick up..