PDA

View Full Version : Poop Doctors kinda just suck

Mr. Laz
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
i mean seriously Lawyers,Politicians and Doctors ... 3 profession that actually make more money by doing a crappy job than they do a good one. :cuss:

Shawnee Mission Hospital:

Grandmother went with hip problems >> came out with hip problem,crack in her femur and an infection that stayed with her until she died.

Uncle went in with cancer >> came out with cancer and a swelling in the brain and infection in the brain.

(just a couple of weeks ago) Mother went carotid artery(right neck) and numbness in her arm >>> came out with paralyzes from her right ear to her tongue, basically the entire right side of her face and is still having problems with blood flow etc.

gawd dam overpaid,worthless fuckers :cuss: :grr:

they pretty much all suck so you really don't have much choice ... not to mention insurance limiting choices.

The Franchise
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
That sucks....and I do feel bad for your family.

But at this point....wouldn't you just go to a different hospital?

cdcox
06-16-2010, 12:36 PM
A colleague just walked out of my office. He went in for a post-bladder cancer check-up. They did a routine biopsy. He got a blood infection and spent a day in the hospital and 4 more in bed. He has a high strength intravenous anti-biotic pump strapped to his arm.

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
It's only about the money. Doctors and hospital execs deserve to rot in hell and die in a fire.

Saulbadguy
06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I suppose they should have just waved their magic wand and made all that stuff go away. Maybe that wasn't covered on your HMO.

loochy
06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, bah gawd, the other day I went to the doctor for nasal swelling. He gave me a perscription for Flonase. 1 month later I've got......unswollen sinuses! I'm all better. What a piece of crap doctor. :cuss:

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
It's only about the money. Doctors and hospital execs deserve to rot in hell and die in a fire.

Bullshit.

38yrsfan
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I suppose they should have just waved their magic wand and made all that stuff go away. Maybe that wasn't covered on your HMO.

That piece of medical equipment the doctor was using was probably a probe and just felt like magic.

gblowfish
06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Accountants who work for HMO's are even worse.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
The human body's no different than an old Chevy, right?

I mean there's like, a computer you can plug your finger into that says exactly what's wrong and exactly how to fix it.

Tell you what - if you hate 'em so much, just stay at home and die. Or check out WebMD and do it yourself.

RJ
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I've had to deal with quite a few doctors over the past year or so. I get pissed at them sometimes but by and large I think they do a good job, especially considering the constraints placed on them by the insurance companies.

tooge
06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
That piece of medical equipment the doctor was using was probably a probe and just felt like magic.

thats not my belly button!
thats not my probe!

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm a firm believer in that hospitals force people to stay overnight or extra nights to maintain occupancy and charge thousands per night. That they purposely choose not to cure, even if they could, or when they could have just for repeat business. The only thing that matters is money to them. If something costs them a dollar they charge a thousand.

tooge
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I feel bad that your family is having problems man, but the hospital didn't give your grandma a bad hip. Perhaps weight or poor nutrition did. The hospital didn't give your uncle cancer, perhaps poor nutrition, habits, or genetics did. Hospitals are not fun places, but they really are trying to help you. Most doctors do more in charity work than many professions do total in a year. Again, sorry for your families circumstances, but they aren't the "fault" of doctors. Maybe you should blame the sick, dirty, SOB that introduced the infection to the hospital.

kepp
06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
In the few times I've been in situations where a loved one was getting treated at a hospital I've learned that, beyond the really simple things, it's 95% a guessing game on their part. Yes, they're educated guesses, but guesses nonetheless.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm a firm believer in that hospitals force people to stay overnight or extra nights to maintain occupancy and charge thousands per night. That they purposely choose not to cure, even if they could, or when they could have just for repeat business. The only thing that matters is money to them. If something costs them a dollar they charge a thousand.

Then rest assured, they're no more interested in having you around than you are in being there.

Please feel free to stay home.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
In the few times I've been in situations where a loved one was getting treated at a hospital I've learned that, beyond the really simple things, it's 95% a guessing game on their part. Yes, they're educated guesses, but guesses nonetheless.

Wait.

You're telling me there's not a computer you can plug your finger into for a diagnosis? That in fact the human body is more complicated than a Chevy?

Jesus, WTF do some of you people want out of these guys? The number of things that can go wrong with a person are virtually endless.

Brock
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM

What a stupid thing to say.

kepp
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM

This is not untrue. A person that is close to me used to work in mgmt at a well known hospital in the neonatology department. I was told that they used to have meetings on how to keep a certain percentage of the rooms occupied because their department made up a large portion of the hospital's overall revenue.

Brock
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Anyone who thinks doctors are overpaid have no idea what it takes to become one.

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Anyone who thinks doctors are overpaid have no idea what it takes to become one.

First you need to be born rich, so that daddy can pay for med school. Then you just need to focus on school until you are done and nothing else, no worrying about money while you are in school, or anything like that. Then you can become a doctor!!

They really are evil people, I don't expect you to see why, because most people believe everything that they are told.

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
This is not untrue. A person that is close to me used to work in mgmt at a well known hospital in the neonatology department. I was told that they used to have meetings on how to keep a certain percentage of the rooms occupied because their department made up a large portion of the hospital's overall revenue.

So....what you are saying is that they want people to stay so that they can overcharge them?

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

The fuck it isn't.

Yeah, because that wouldn't have become public knowledge by now or anything. Shit, if there was any evidence of this practice at all, don't you think the current administration would've used it as an excuse to expand control even further? The federal government just spent a year trying to tell everyone how awful healthcare is to cover it's own tail and buy a few votes and yet still couldn't present a credible case for this sort of event happening.

But hey, if some guy you know from some hospital you won't name gave you some vague story about covert meetings, it has to be true.

Nevermind the billions that hospitals write-off annually to charity. Nevermind the fact that a large % of hospitals aren't profitable. They're all actually a bunch of ghouls that sit in smoky rooms and devise ways to keep people sick.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
First you need to be born rich, so that daddy can pay for med school. Then you just need to focus on school until you are done and nothing else, no worrying about money while you are in school, or anything like that. Then you can become a doctor!!

They really are evil people, I don't expect you to see why, because most people believe everything that they are told.

This is what's called overplaying your hand.

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Please - just stay home and die.

Brock
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM

You are a goddamn moron. I have two kids in med school and I'm not paying a cent for it. They're doing it on their own, and as far as your ignorant ideas about "not working and focusing on school", well, let's just say you don't know what you're talking about and you're not worth addressing any further. Oh and table 5 needs a refill, monkey.

Skyy God
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM

What are you going to tell me next, that manufacturers make repair vs. litigation cost assessments?

tooge
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM

uggg. Born rich? not me. I've been paying back student freakin loans for alomost 20 years now and will be for another 10. While my buddies were earning money and partying form the age of 18, I was working 80 hours a week FOR FREE until I was 27 years old. People are all different. No two people will describe a symptom the same way. People put things into their bodies that are known to cause illness and disease, and you think doctors should be paid less to go into hock, spend the best part of their young adult lives in hospitals, and have to deal with people in pain all day? You are clueless

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
uggg. Born rich? not me. I've been paying back student freakin loans for alomost 20 years now and will be for another 10. While my buddies were earning money and partying form the age of 18, I was working 80 hours a week FOR FREE until I was 27 years old. People are all different. No two people will describe a symptom the same way. People put things into their bodies that are known to cause illness and disease, and you think doctors should be paid less to go into hock, spend the best part of their young adult lives in hospitals, and have to deal with people in pain all day? You are clueless

Yes, but you're an asshole and should probably only make minimum wage.

Afterall, you're just guessing, right?

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 02:17 PM

You're a dumbfuck, plain and simple.

How do people like you actually get jobs and support themselves?

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
You're a dumb****, plain and simple.

They don't.

We do.

bevischief
06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
i mean seriously Lawyers,Politicians and Doctors ... 3 profession that actually make more money by doing a crappy job than they do a good one. :cuss:

Grandmother went with hip problems >> came out with hip problem,crack in her femur and an infection that stayed with her until she died.

Uncle went in with cancer >> came out with cancer and a swelling in the brain and infection in the brain.

(just a couple of weeks ago) Mother went carotid artery(right neck) and numbness in her arm >>> came out with paralyzes from her right ear to her tongue, basically the entire right side of her face and is still having problems with blood flow etc.

gawd dam overpaid,worthless ****ers :cuss: :grr:

they pretty much all suck so you really don't have much choice ... not to mention insurance limiting choices.

Nice to see that the millions they spent on the expansion was not wasted...

kepp
06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
What are you going to tell me next, that manufacturers make repair vs. litigation cost assessments?

Oh, What a feeling!

HoneyBadger
06-16-2010, 02:57 PM
No one is forcing anyone to go to a hospital.

And when you go, its called PRACTICING medicine. Nothing is for certain.

Dave Lane
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
The further away from doctors you can stay the healthy you will be.

Brock
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
The further away from doctors you can stay the healthy you will be.

Yeah, there's a lot of dead people in funeral homes, stay the hell out of those places too.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
If something costs them a dollar they charge a thousand.

Do you know the reason why this happens, Dumbass?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
One of my family members went in for a partial thyroidectomy a few years ago, and they removed the wrong part of the thyroid, then the physician who fucked up lied and covered it up...

06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that bud. but um why do you keep going back to that garbage hospital?

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM

What a load of horseshit.

In Los Angeles, you have to make doctors appointments WEEKS in advance, if not months. I had to interview a half a dozen pediatricians months in advance of having our daughter. She was born at Cedars Sinai and the hospital and insurance company wanted us out of the hospital asap due to overwhelming demand.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
One of my family members went in for a partial thyroidectomy a few years ago, and they removed the wrong part of the thyroid, then the physician who fucked up lied and covered it up...

Did you sue his stupid ass for malpractice?

bevischief
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Most have close $600,000 in student loans after to pay back.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Most have close $600,000 in student loans after to pay back.

No they don't because all doctors come from wealthy families that pay for seven years of college.

:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Did you sue his stupid ass for malpractice?

Eventually, we will, but there are other complications involved.

06-16-2010, 03:12 PM
My mother had a stroke 2 years ago. and shes a diabetic that does not take insulin. they wanted to give her insulin when she was in the hospital..and I was like um uh no. once you start taking insulin you usually have to take it forever after that. I mean I was almost gonna punch the dumbass doctor in the face (her normal doctor was on vacation). so he promised me it would only be for 2 days to stabilize her and that would be it. had I not made such a big stink about the insulin who knows what her diabetes treatment would be now.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM

I can tell you more in private but I have close friends who sued a hospital for more than $15 million and won. Unfortunately, the child involved has only half a working brain.

tooge
06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
No they don't because all doctors come from wealthy families that pay for seven years of college.

seven? Try a minimum of 11 years just to get a job as a doctor. Now, if you want to be a specialized surgeon, try another 3 or 4 years. The first 10 or so are not paid either.

06-16-2010, 03:15 PM

That sucks, Hamas. sorry to hear about it.

06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
seven? Try a minimum of 11 years just to get a job as a doctor. Now, if you want to be a specialized surgeon, try another 3 or 4 years. The first 10 or so are not paid either.

Um no. I have a friend that decided to become a doctor at age 37 ;) bwahahaha! he was working in a hospital in Harlem while going to medical school. that was 13 years ago. he now is the head surgeon at a hospital in some one horse town in Montana. the funny thing is..he used to say if youre a white guy walking around harlem you are safe as long as you wear your hospital jacket..lmao..they would never fuck with the doctors.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
That sucks, Hamas. sorry to hear about it.

It is shitty, but there are a shitload of good doctors and nurses out there, too.

Almost everyone in my family, save for myself, works or has worked in the medical field in some capacity (nurses, doctors, insurance, researchers, Big Pharma, etc.). They are just like cops, teachers, lawyers, or any other profession--there are good and bad ones.

The problem stems from the cost of their errors, and unfortunately, a lot of time when patients get infections it's not always the fault of the care providers, but rather the fact that the hospital itself is the dirtiest place on Earth and our societies overuse of antibiotics in everything (hand santizers, antibacterial soap, wipes for shopping carts, and the biggest one--cattle, who actually consumer 2/3 of the antibiotics made in the entire country).

Huffmeister
06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, the knee-jerk reactions in this thread are like... well... a doctor with one of those little rubber hammers.

The medical profession is just like any other: some doctors are better than others, and some are incompetent. However, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. When I was three, I had to have a kidney removed due to a growing tumor. Pretty much saved my life, so I've got a lot of respect for modern medicine.

And I also think people have completely unrealistic expectations of doctors. They're not gods. You may say they get compensated like gods, but one mistake and their entire lives are forked.

The_Doctor10
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM

There's so much wrong with what you just said... I think 'you're a fucking dumbass' covers all of it though.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, the knee-jerk reactions in this thread are like... well... a doctor with one of those little rubber hammers.

The medical profession is just like any other: some doctors are better than others, and some are incompetent. However, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. When I was three, I had to have a kidney removed due to a growing tumor. Pretty much saved my life, so I've got a lot of respect for modern medicine.

And I also think people have completely unrealistic expectations of doctors. They're not gods. You may say they get compensated like gods, but one mistake and their entire lives are forked.

Nah, had you stayed away from the hospital, you'd have been far healthier - just ask Dave Lane.

ElGringo
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I used to hate going to doctors when I still lived in the states, since I have moved to Mexico, not so much. I now have free healthcare, paid for by the government (and not really my tax dollars), and if I have a cold or something, just need a consultation, well, that is only 25 pesos (about $2.50). Down here doctors are not "rich". They are well off, and can pay for anything they need, but that is about it.

The_Doctor10
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Well said. Real doctors aren't like House, Patrick Dempsey or John Stamos. They sacrifice just about everything in their personal lives to help people 80 hours a week. I've spent a lot of time in hospitals the past year with my grandfather having quintuple bypass surgery and a leg amputation, and they aren't places I'd wanna spend any time in whatsoever. Yet these people go to work in one of the most stressful fields imaginable where they are constantly being undermined by accountants and insurance companies.

People should actually think before writing stupid shit like 'all doctors and health execs should die in a fire'

OnTheWarpath15
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
It is shitty, but there are a shitload of good doctors and nurses out there, too.

Like the ones that just saved my FIL's life Sunday night.

He's coming home tonight, thanks to them.

Of course, we could have just avoided the hospital altogether and been attending his funeral today.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Like the ones that just saved my FIL's life Sunday night.

He's coming home tonight, thanks to them.

Of course, we could have just avoided the hospital altogether and been attending his funeral today.

They didn't do me any good when I had a compound fracture of my right arm.

I should've just popped that bitch back in, wrapped it in gauze and sucked down some chicken soup to take care of the infection. That should be fine for an exposed bone, right?

Ah hell, what's a little bit of an infection in your bones gonna do? That's not gonna cause any additional problems for me.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
They didn't do me any good when I had a compound fracture of my right arm.

I should've just popped that bitch back in, wrapped it in gauze and sucked down some chicken soup to take care of the infection. That should be fine for an exposed bone, right?

Ah hell, what's a little bit of an infection in your bones gonna do? That's not gonna cause any additional problems for me.

In case you hadn't noticed, KCChiefsMan is such a fucking idiot, he won't even pay for health insurance. Meanwhile, if gets a kidney infection or breaks his leg crossing the street ends up face down from a bicycle accident, the people of Massachusetts will be footing the bill for his medical expenses.

Brilliant.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Dude, shut the fuck up. My Dad's a doctor and a damn good one and this shit is beyond retarded and I take extreme offense to some of this shit.

Stop acting like these are privileged kids who coasted their way into the profession. Sure, some got through with daddy's money. Oh, by the way, they spent 15 hours a night studying for MCATs, a ridiculously difficult graduate school program for 3 years, and then studying for Boards. When they graduate, it gets so much better for them--being forced to work 100-hour weeks on basically minimum wage for several years.

I don't envy what they have to go through. And if you think doctors are all evil quacks, then maybe you should stop going to see them and try to treat yourself through Web MD. See how far that takes you.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Or what it takes to be one. My dad was rarely ever on vacation. He was on call all the fucking time. 2am heart attack? Not exactly something you can wait in the morning to take care of. Weekends? Try telling a patient that you're not coming in to check on complications because you were busy watching a football game. With medicare and these crooked insurance companies, these days, they're just asking doctors like my Dad to work more hours for less pay. And with lawyers in the backpockets of politicians, they pay a ridiculous premium for malpractice insurance (6 figures) and often times have to make extremely tentative recommendations to patients for fear of being sued. He once get sued because the patient interpreted his advice as wrong, even though my Dad was clearly right. There are bad doctors. But most doctors wouldn't have gone through all the blood, sweat, and tears of medical school/training if they didn't care about helping people. And the worst part is that people are becoming increasingly less appreciative of the hard work that they do.

Sucks that a few bad apples have to spoil it for everyone else.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Dude, shut the **** up. My Dad's a doctor and a damn good one and this shit is beyond retarded and I take extreme offense to some of this shit.

Stop acting like these are privileged kids who coasted their way into the profession. Sure, some got through with daddy's money. Oh, by the way, they spent 15 hours a night studying for MCATs, a ridiculously difficult graduate school program for 3 years, and then studying for Boards. When they graduate, it gets so much better for them--being forced to work 100-hour weeks on basically minimum wage for several years.

I don't envy what they have to go through. And if you think doctors are all evil quacks, then maybe you should stop going to see them and try to treat yourself through Web MD. See how far that takes you.

Now now now.

Your father is successful.

Dicksmoke there isn't.

Therefore your father must have had people that did everything for him in order to put him in that position. It had nothing to do with hard work, drive or intelligence.

Nope, because that would require that somebody acknowledge that they're responsible for their own failings. It's much easier to attack those that have made a better life for themselves than you.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I can assure you there are a lot of great doctors out there. A LOT. Unfortunately, you have to do a lot of digging around. I learned that from my Dad--you learn quickly in the medical profession that a lot of doctors will outright refuse to refer patients to X doctor because that doctor has built a reputation for being lousy.

I think unfortunately you got hit with three unfortunate situations with unfortunate outcomes. Some maybe due to bad doctoring. Maybe some due to unexpected complications. Maybe some due to unavoidable complications. Either way, sorry to hear this shit happened to you, but I still stand by my comment that most doctors are good and have your best interests in mind.

Huffmeister
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Therefore your father must have had people that did everything for him in order to put him in that position. It had nothing to do with hard work, drive or intelligence.

Nope, because that would require that somebody acknowledge that they're responsible for their own failings. It's much easier to attack those that have made a better life for themselves than you.

I bet his father wears a NASCAR hat, too.

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
you would be bitter too if you had to pay $4K for 5 minutes of a DRs time and 5 stitches

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
You are a goddamn moron. I have two kids in med school and I'm not paying a cent for it. They're doing it on their own, and as far as your ignorant ideas about "not working and focusing on school", well, let's just say you don't know what you're talking about and you're not worth addressing any further. Oh and table 5 needs a refill, monkey.

Fuck you. I know in your world, it's disgraceful to work to pay for your college. But that's what I had to do, I had to wait tables to pay for it, asshole.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
you would be bitter too if you had to pay $4K for 5 minutes of a DRs time and 5 stitches

Insurance, Dummy.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Fuck you. I know in your world, it's disgraceful to work to pay for your college. But that's what I had to do, I had to wait tables to pay for it, asshole.

:deevee:

dirk digler
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Almost everyone in my family, save for myself, works or has worked in the medical field in some capacity (nurses, doctors, insurance, researchers, Big Pharma, etc.). They are just like cops, teachers, lawyers, or any other profession--there are good and bad ones.

The problem stems from the cost of their errors, and unfortunately, a lot of time when patients get infections it's not always the fault of the care providers, but rather the fact that the hospital itself is the dirtiest place on Earth and our societies overuse of antibiotics in everything (hand santizers, antibacterial soap, wipes for shopping carts, and the biggest one--cattle, who actually consumer 2/3 of the antibiotics made in the entire country).

Like Laz my 94 year old grandma had hip surgery and then got an infection and never left the hospital again. She went to St. Lukes.

I was kind of shocked to hear about how many people die from infections after surgery. I always thought the hospital was probably the most sanitary place around.

OnTheWarpath15
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Insurance, Dummy.

It amazes me how many people take the risk of not having insurance - health or auto, for that matter.

His dumbass paid more for 5 stitches than I'm paying for knee surgery and 10 weeks of rehab - by quite a bit - all because he doesn't have insurance.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
It amazes me how many people take the risk of not having insurance - health or auto, for that matter.

His dumbass paid more for 5 stitches than I'm paying for knee surgery and 10 weeks of rehab - by quite a bit - all because he doesn't have insurance.

Some people are just fucking stupid.

06-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Major medical is the key. you're crazy if you dont have it. I pay $411 a month for it. but if anything ever happens to me no matter how much it costs..I can never pay more than $1200 out of pocket a year. even if it costs eleventy billion dollars, thats all I pay.

OnTheWarpath15
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Some people are just fucking stupid.

Major medical is the key. you're crazy if you dont have it. I pay $411 a month for it. but if anything ever happens to me no matter how much it costs..I can never pay more than $1200 out of pocket a year. even if it costs eleventy billion dollars, thats all I pay.

Some people just like gambling, I guess.

Pablo
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Stupid doctors.

I mean, it's not like they have the one of the most highly skilled, stressful jobs in society or anything...

Just float through the days writing prescriptions you can't even read and stuff. And to think they make like 10 times as much as your average McDonald's worker. I mean, a triple bypass can't be that hard; but getting the sauce distributed evenly on my Big Mac is fucking laborious. Shit, I played Operation when I was a kid. I know when somebody comes in all you gotta do is pull the butterflies out of their stomach and the bread out of their groin. Doctors probably have to have good hearing for when the buzzer sounds if they touch the other body-stuff though.

|Zach|
06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Shawnee Mission Medical did some pretty great work to help out my mother a few a years back. It was pricey as hell but I owe a whole lot to that hospital.

Hoping your medical issues take a turn for the best Laz.

dirk digler
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
And thoughts and prayers Laz to your mom. I am very sorry to hear about this.

Gracie Dean
06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I've had to deal with quite a few doctors over the past year or so. I get pissed at them sometimes but by and large I think they do a good job, especially considering the constraints placed on them by the insurance companies.

This!

My GI doc is constantly talking about regulations and paperwork. Sometimes it irritates me to no end

jiveturkey
06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
If it's not an emergency it's best to shop for the best doc.

I've recently had knee surgery and a broken bone in my hand repaired and both of my docs were top notch.

DJ's left nut
06-16-2010, 06:17 PM
**** you. I know in your world, it's disgraceful to work to pay for your college. But that's what I had to do, I had to wait tables to pay for it, asshole.

I'm pretty sure you didn't actually make it all the way through.

Most people that actually work hard to achieve something eventually stop begrudging others for doing the same thing.

My guess is you're a college dropout who probably drank away some tuition money and blames the rest of the world for your inability to pay your bills for the fall semester. So you took some menial job to "pay for next spring" and have been stuck with mindless tedium ever since....

Either that, or you're just a fuckwit.

In either event, you're talking so far out your ass that it's comical. You clearly don't have the foggiest fucking idea what goes into becoming a doctor. You have no earthly idea how much stress they're under or how mentally demanding the profession is. My guess is you've probably never even spoken to one socially, so you certainly don't know who paid for their education (or that most doctors will come out of med school almost 1/2 million in debt at this point...).

But shit, why should I expect someone that is so clearly in the right to actually educate themselves as to the subject matter before launching a diatribe against an entire profession?

That would just be stupid.

BossChief
06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Trouble with this whole thing is that not everyone can get insurance that covers everything that can go wrong. I have the utmost respect for doctors (more so after reading this thread) but it does pain me to know there are people in America that dont have the means to save their lives because of money and it pisses me off at the lack of humility of some here and their takes because THEY have money and cant understand or relate to people that dont.

I have all the coverage I need, but people in my life dont and have to deal with a far less quality of life because of it and that shouldnt be the case for the strongest country in the world that has endless money to fight wars all around the globe with.

Its a real shame that life and death often times comes down to dollars and cents.

Im gonna stop before I cause for this to be moved to DC...

milkman
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM

It doesn't amaze me at all.

I work for a very small company, and insurance for my wife and myself is nearly 35% of my income, and in shopping for another plan, it would have cost even more than I'm paying under this plan.

The health care industry is fucked.

OnTheWarpath15
06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
It doesn't amaze me at all.

I work for a very small company, and insurance for my wife and myself is nearly 35% of my income, and in shopping for another plan, it would have cost even more than I'm paying under this plan.

The health care industry is fucked.

No argument there.

However, you're smart enough to realize that it's worth 35% of your income to have health insurance, even if it means sacrificing elsewhere. Because while the health care industry is fucked, so are you without insurance.

milkman
06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
No argument there.

However, you're smart enough to realize that it's worth 35% of your income to have health insurance, even if it means sacrificing elsewhere. Because while the health care industry is ****ed, so are you without insurance.

What I'm getting at with my post is that I make a decent living, but some poor schmuck making 10-12 bucks an hour at my age could not in any way afford this plan.

The poor gal that works in the office makes 13 bucks an hour, and she can't afford it, and the premium is based on age.
But at the same time, she earns too much to get any aid.

She is about 10 years younger than I am.

BossChief
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
What I'm getting at with my post is that I make a decent living, but some poor schmuck making 10-12 bucks an hour at my age could not in any way afford this plan.

The poor gal that works in the office makes 13 bucks an hour, and she can't afford it, and the premium is based on age.

I know a lot of people that work full time and cant afford insurance or arent even offered it. They just cant.

Its not because they are stupid, don't try, haven't looked for better work to be able to afford it... this country is at an all time high for unemployment and jobs that offer real health insurance aren't easy to come by any more and if you want to get coverage through an outside source, you are choosing between life necessities or insurance, so its a no win situation for a lot of people.

I hope that someone comes up with a better way to manage that industry so that not just the well off can afford to have good health.

milkman
06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I know a lot of people that work full time and cant afford insurance or arent even offered it. They just cant.

Its not because they are stupid, don't try, haven't looked for better work to be able to afford it... this country is at an all time high for unemployment and jobs that offer real health insurance aren't easy to come by any more and if you want to get coverage through an outside source, you are choosing between life necessities or insurance, so its a no win situation for a lot of people.

I hope that someone comes up with a better way to manage that industry so that not just the well off can afford to have good health.

At the risk of sending this to the hell hole and never seeing this thread again, Obama's health care pakage does nothing to alleviate that problem for millions of people.

That package is quite possibly the stupidest thing the government has ever conceived, and that's amazing when considering the stupidity of the government.

BossChief
06-16-2010, 07:34 PM
At the risk of sending this to the hell hole and never seeing this thread again, Obama's health care pakage does nothing to alleviate that problem for millions of people.

That package is quite possibly the stupidest thing the government has ever conceived, and that's amazing when considering the stupidity of the government.

We are treading on thin ice as is, but I agree 100%.

Change you can believe in!

LOL what a crock

Gary
06-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I've got no problem with doctor's earning a more than comfortable living. I have a problem when I hear doctors bitch about how they don't make enough money. My wife works for a urologic specialist as his medical assistant. As soon as the health care bill went through, he went off the deep end and started saying things like "I'm just going to start taking only self-pay patients. If a patient can't pay me up front, ****'em...i don't want to see them." Now I know that if he is serious, patients will eventually just not go to him and he will go out of business. It just sucks to hear a healthcare provider speak with such a "all about me and my bottom line" attitude. The man has a multi-million dollar home, is involved in several lucrative real estate endeavors, and his family wants for absolutely nothing. Does he really believe that he will end up on skid row after the new health care laws go into effect? Or will he only make $980,000 next year instead of $1,250,000? Again, let me stress that I have no problem with him making the money and I believe the market will basically handle him if he decides to be a dick in the future. It's just disappointing to hear someone who has obviously benefited so much act like such a greedy sob.

Chiefspants
06-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Whahhaaat are you talking about?

Now that poor gal who works in your office will be FORCED to buy insurance.

Problem solved.

bevischief
06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
This!

My GI doc is constantly talking about regulations and paperwork. Sometimes it irritates me to no end

It does me with my wife's care...:cuss:

Mr. Laz
06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I feel bad that your family is having problems man, but the hospital didn't give your grandma a bad hip. Perhaps weight or poor nutrition did. The hospital didn't give your uncle cancer, perhaps poor nutrition, habits, or genetics did. Hospitals are not fun places, but they really are trying to help you. Most doctors do more in charity work than many professions do total in a year. Again, sorry for your families circumstances, but they aren't the "fault" of doctors. Maybe you should blame the sick, dirty, SOB that introduced the infection to the hospital.
what?

No, the doctor didn't give her a bad hip but he did fail to secured the artificial hip replacement properly the first time which led to the cracked femur bone. The doctor/nurse/hospital did fail to keep the operating room sterile so she got an infection.

same for uncle ... they didn't give him cancer but they did fail to keep the situation sterile when they did the biopsy which led to an infection and swelling in the brain with caused lost of sight in one eye and what amounts to permanent brain damage.

the doctor didn't get my mother a clogged artery but he DID damage the nerve next to the artery while he was unclogging it which led to the facial paralysis.

that's the point ... the can't cure everything but at least don't make shit worse through incompetence.

I don't know which is more prevalent in the medical profession today ... the almost complete lack of caring/patients are just a number type attitude or the incompetence and how they tend to do almost as much damage as they help.

milkman
06-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Whahhaaat are you talking about?

Now that poor gal who works in your office will be FORCED to buy insurance.

Problem solved.

No she won't.

The package only includes small businesses of 50 employees or more, as I understand it upon quick perusal.

Our company is smaller than that.

And even should it affect her, the fine she would pay would be less than the premium, thus more affordable.

bevischief
06-16-2010, 07:49 PM

My wife on her that is all she would be working for if she got it thru her work.

Mr. Laz
06-16-2010, 07:51 PM
No one is forcing anyone to go to a hospital.

And when you go, its called PRACTICING medicine. Nothing is for certain.
if the assholes are just "practicing" then why do they get paid like "professionals"?

you get your insurance
they give you a list of doctors
Doctors tell you what hospital they work out of
Doctors in this area tend to work out of THIS hospital

so just deciding "not to go to a hospital" is not that simple

patteeu
06-16-2010, 08:00 PM

It will all get better once we've replaced all the expensively trained MDs with lightly educated, government employees like Mr. Kotter.

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Insurance, Dummy.

I had insurance, dummy. They said it wasn't an emergency, so no coverage. Either way, they have no right charging that much you fucking asshole. You don't see anything wrong with charging $4K for something that cost them 5 dollars tops? And you call me stupid? Wow, we Americans are so fucking naive.

Brock
06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I had insurance, dummy. They said it wasn't an emergency, so no coverage. Either way, they have no right charging that much you fucking asshole. You don't see anything wrong with charging $4K for something that cost them 5 dollars tops? And you call me stupid? Wow, we Americans are so fucking naive.

Next time you're sick or bleeding out of an orifice, don't go to the doctor. The world needs fewer stupid cock suckers like yourself.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 09:22 PM

LMAO

JFC, you're dumber than I ever imagined.

So, you rushed to the ER, not knowing what your insurance would and wouldn't cover, eh?

Brilliant.

And YES, they DO have the right to charge those prices because all of the DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS THAT ARE UNINSURED have caused the rates to skyrocket.

Health care isn't charity, Dummy.

DumbHillbillies
06-16-2010, 09:32 PM
They suck until one saves your life or a loveone's life.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Go jam a jar of peanut butter up your asshole and visit the ER again, you fucking Twat.

I'm sure they'll help you out, free of charge.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
**** you. I know in your world, it's disgraceful to work to pay for your college. But that's what I had to do, I had to wait tables to pay for it, asshole.

Brock's point, I imagine, is that if he's not paying for the education, his kids are. You're delirious if you think it's possible to go to med school and work a regular job to pay your tuition. Walk to any med school. All the dudes having shaved for weeks because they're studying 80-100 hours a week. This isn't fucking undergrad where you can skip a few classes and still skirt away with a B. And by the way, they'll usually end up with well over $500,000 in debt. Don't act like a lot of these kids aren't paying the price for their training.

And yes, this is coming from a disgraceful asshole who took an in-state scholarship, worked 20 hours a week, and got a full-time MBA. Despite that, I'm not even going to pretend that what I did was even partially as tough as what a med school student goes through.

Brock
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
seriously, go **** yourself. You have no clue what you are talking about. You think you are better than everyone because you live in a perfect world and are oblivous to problems that others have to face in our ****ed up system of a society.

Paul the Kunt, don't send me anymore private messages. If you have something to say, you can say it here. As to the content of this retarded mess of shit you sent me, I'll leave it to others to review what was said and judge if anything I said fits with what you are saying.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Paul the Kunt, don't send me anymore private messages. If you have something to say, you can say it here. As to the content of this retarded mess of shit you sent me, I'll leave it to others to review what was said and judge if anything I said fits with what you are saying.

Oh, you received the same exact message, too?

What a fucking Douche Lord.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
what?

No, the doctor didn't give her a bad hip but he did fail to secured the artificial hip replacement properly the first time which led to the cracked femur bone. The doctor/nurse/hospital did fail to keep the operating room sterile so she got an infection.

same for uncle ... they didn't give him cancer but they did fail to keep the situation sterile when they did the biopsy which led to an infection and swelling in the brain with caused lost of sight in one eye and what amounts to permanent brain damage.

the doctor didn't get my mother a clogged artery but he DID damage the nerve next to the artery while he was unclogging it which led to the facial paralysis.

that's the point ... the can't cure everything but at least don't make shit worse through incompetence.

I don't know which is more prevalent in the medical profession today ... the almost complete lack of caring/patients are just a number type attitude or the incompetence and how they tend to do almost as much damage as they help.

Again, I think you're generalizing based on a few bad experiences. And I'm sorry you went through it. The majority of doctors care. They went through a lot to get where they are and they wouldn't have done it if they weren't passionate about medicine.

In those situations where there was negligence, as in your cases, then you should pursue legal action.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I've got no problem with doctor's earning a more than comfortable living. I have a problem when I hear doctors bitch about how they don't make enough money. My wife works for a urologic specialist as his medical assistant. As soon as the health care bill went through, he went off the deep end and started saying things like "I'm just going to start taking only self-pay patients. If a patient can't pay me up front, ****'em...i don't want to see them." Now I know that if he is serious, patients will eventually just not go to him and he will go out of business. It just sucks to hear a healthcare provider speak with such a "all about me and my bottom line" attitude. The man has a multi-million dollar home, is involved in several lucrative real estate endeavors, and his family wants for absolutely nothing. Does he really believe that he will end up on skid row after the new health care laws go into effect? Or will he only make $980,000 next year instead of $1,250,000? Again, let me stress that I have no problem with him making the money and I believe the market will basically handle him if he decides to be a dick in the future. It's just disappointing to hear someone who has obviously benefited so much act like such a greedy sob.

I can provide some context because I've seen it happen.

When patients don't pay up-front, people take advantage of it. My Dad may be a caring man, but he's not going to do pro bono work. Nor should he be expected to. Nor is it fair for one guy to get out for free, while another guy in a similar financial situation who was responsible enough to pay for insurance has to pay. Not to mention that the freeloaders are driving up prices for those who abide by the system.

It's like this. The Walton Family makes a shitload of money on Walmart. It's this simple--if you don't have money to buy granola bars, you aient' walking out of that store legally with your granola bars. I don't think anyone ever called the Waltons greedy SOBs because they demand that customers, including poor ones, pay money for products.

alanm
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
If you think they suck now wait a few years when the quality of care REALLY goes down hill if the health care reform goes into effect. :spock:

alanm
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
By that I mean not that the Dr sucks but the overall quality of care forced upon you by the government. :shake:

cdcox
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
I can provide some context because I've seen it happen.

When patients don't pay up-front, people take advantage of it. My Dad may be a caring man, but he's not going to do pro bono work. Nor should he be expected to. Nor is it fair for one guy to get out for free, while another guy in a similar financial situation who was responsible enough to pay for insurance has to pay. Not to mention that the freeloaders are driving up prices for those who abide by the system.

It's like this. The Walton Family makes a shitload of money on Walmart. It's this simple--if you don't have money to buy granola bars, you aient' walking out of that store legally with your granola bars. I don't think anyone ever called the Waltons greedy SOBs because they demand that customers, including poor ones, pay money for products.

But I sure wouldn't shop at any store that gave their granola bar away to people who couldn't pay and then charged me for it when I bought my granola bar. The bolded part is equivalent to that.

In health care, we have no choice.

Doctors, as the leaders of the medical profession and among the most wealthy and powerful people in our society, have to take responsibility for the screwed up mess it's become.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Doctors, as the leaders of the medical profession and among the most wealthy and powerful people in our society, have to take responsibility for the screwed up mess it's become.

What? Doctors have NOTHING to do with it.

Malpractice insurance is absolutely insane, as are hospital stays, mainly due to all of the uninsured who get "free" care.

Did you know that if you're a practicing doctor in the UK, Italy, Canada, etc., your license and malpractice insurance covers you ANYWHERE the world EXCEPT the United States?

Until there's true tort reform and EVERY citizen pays into the health insurance pool, prices will continue to be overly absorbent and rise.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
But I sure wouldn't shop at any store that gave their granola bar away to people who couldn't pay and then charged me for it when I bought my granola bar.

In health care, we have no choice.

I'm just commenting about the idea that doctors shouldn't complain about patients who don't pay up front if they're uninsured. The system's a mess. Some of it's on doctors. A lot of it is on the system. The majority of it is with crooked insurers. And the current health care resolution is an absolute joke of a bill, and so is the Republican counter.

They need to encourage the private sector to come up with a competitive insurance solution. There needs to be more pricing transparency so doctors and hospitals can all charge universally lower prices. They need to eliminate system fraud. And there needs to be at least some limit to malpractice claims so doctors can give advice they're confident with instead of backing into conservative recommendations which tend to lead to more follow-up visits and therefore more money out of your pocket (will be even worse when the gov't is dictating what procedures they can/can't do). Sorry to bring a DC comment into the response. But while I agree that doctors are part of the problem, they are a very small part of the problem compared with what's really wrong with health care.

Bugeater
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Malpractice insurance is absolutely insane, as are hospital stays, mainly due to all of the uninsured who get "free" care.

Did you know that if you're a practicing doctor in the UK, Italy, Canada, etc., your license and malpractice insurance covers you ANYWHERE the world EXCEPT the United States?

Until there's true tort reform and EVERY citizen pays into the health insurance pool, prices will continue to be overly absorbent and rise.
The problem is that many people flat out CANNOT afford it. The advances in medicine have exceeded our ability to pay for it. Until we move to a system where the level of care is based on what one can afford to pay (which will never happen), it will continue to be the cluster**** it currently is.

Hell I have insurance and I would still be bankrupt if anything catastrophic happened to me.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
The problem is that many people flat out CANNOT afford it. The advances in medicine have exceeded our ability to pay for it. Until we move to a system where the level of care is based on what one can afford to pay (which will never happen), it will continue to be the clusterfuck it currently is.

I understand that many people just can't afford health insurance when they're not offered a group program by their employer. But, there are ways around this, such as creating an LLC and purchasing a group plan for your family. That would save thousands.

I do believe that once the new Health Care laws go into effect, there will be far more affordable options. The most important aspect of the new laws will be the fact that insurance companies can't cut off people for exceeding their benefit limit.

That practice is unconscionable to me.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
The problem is that many people flat out CANNOT afford it. The advances in medicine have exceeded our ability to pay for it. Until we move to a system where the level of care is based on what one can afford to pay (which will never happen), it will continue to be the cluster**** it currently is.

I don't think that's true. I think there are lots of ways to drive prices down without sacrificing quality of care. Dane's example of malpractice insurance is a no-brainer. Insurance reform is a huge one, and it needs to be done in the private sector. Eliminating fraud yet another. And openness in pricing is another huge one. Neither the bill or most of the counter-legislation addressed any of those things.

cdcox
06-16-2010, 10:46 PM

I agree with the last sentence. But doctors should be leading the way. I don't see the medical profession leading the way on health care.

I also think we have to control end of life procedures.

Maybe compensate doctors at the current rate if a procedure is effective, but only at a 50% rate it the procedure doesn't help the patient. I had finger surgery in the last year. The only one who benefited from it was the doctor. My insurance company paid out the wazoo, I went through a fair amount of additional pain and inconvenience, and gained nothing from it. I would have been better off if no treatment had been done at all. I know there is some uncertainty with any treatment. But costs are out of control and doctors currently carry none of the risk of treatments that don't help patients.

Costs are way out of control, but I don't see the medical profession leading the way toward changing that landscape.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Costs are way out of control, but I don't see the medical profession leading the way toward changing that landscape.

How much did you pay for your doctor's visits?

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I agree with the last sentence. But doctors should be leading the way. I don't see the medical profession leading the way on health care.

I also think we have to control end of life procedures.

Maybe compensate doctors at the current rate if a procedure is effective, but only at a 50% rate it the procedure doesn't help the patient. I had finger surgery in the last year. The only one who benefited from it was the doctor. My insurance company paid out the wazoo, I went through a fair amount of additional pain and inconvenience, and gained nothing from it. I would have been better off if no treatment had been done at all. I know there is some uncertainty with any treatment. But costs are out of control and doctors currently carry none of the risk of treatments that don't help patients.

I think outcome-based incentives are definitely important too. Agree with that. I don't agree on the "risk" component. Because malpractice liability is so out of control, even if a doctor gets a good outcome but causes very minor inconvenience, they could get sued and lose. And the majority of us are eating up that cost.

And I also don't agree that insurance companies are paying out the wazoo in most cases. I think the system is extremely, extremely crooked. I have always said that the solution to shitty businesses is market disruption. We don't need an inefficient mammoth like government creating competition from the Private Sector. What we need is a Geico and Progressive. Geico disrupted auto insurance by selling without agents. Progressive did so with price transparency. Auto insurance has become a hell of a lot more affordable and the service has become monumentally better ever since.

cdcox
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm just commenting about the idea that doctors shouldn't complain about patients who don't pay up front if they're uninsured. The system's a mess. Some of it's on doctors. A lot of it is on the system. The majority of it is with crooked insurers. And the current health care resolution is an absolute joke of a bill, and so is the Republican counter.

They need to encourage the private sector to come up with a competitive insurance solution. There needs to be more pricing transparency so doctors and hospitals can all charge universally lower prices. They need to eliminate system fraud. And there needs to be at least some limit to malpractice claims so doctors can give advice they're confident with instead of backing into conservative recommendations which tend to lead to more follow-up visits and therefore more money out of your pocket (will be even worse when the gov't is dictating what procedures they can/can't do). Sorry to bring a DC comment into the response. But while I agree that doctors are part of the problem, they are a very small part of the problem compared with what's really wrong with health care.

I agree with everything you say except that doctors are a small part of the problem. They are the leaders of the system. They have extremely powerful and respected professional organizations. The insurance companies are powerful, but not more powerful than the doctors. If they were unified in there rebellion against the insurance companies and ambulance chasers, we'd have a better system. I just think they are a little to comfy in the current system to raise much of a ruckus.

chiefzilla1501
06-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I agree with everything you say except that doctors are a small part of the problem. They are the leaders of the system. They have extremely powerful and respected professional organizations. The insurance companies are powerful, but not more powerful than the doctors. If they were unified in there rebellion against the insurance companies and ambulance chasers, we'd have a better system. I just think they are a little to comfy in the current system to raise much of a ruckus.

Well, a big part of the problem is that the American Medical Association is a complete joke. If they were truly representing doctors, we would have seen medical malpractice reform and insurance reform enacted years ago. So to some extent, I agree.

cdcox
06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
How much did you pay for your doctor's visits?

For the finger almost nothing. Maybe $150, including prescription medicines.

I've got insurance. State government plan.

Still, I've blown through more than $5K in out of pocket medical expenses in each of the last 5 years. This year, I've gone through more than $35K in out of pocket expenses. Mental health/substance abuse problems related to my daughter. Substance abuse problems are 5 years running with the first 4.5 years of substance abuse initiated and enabled by doctors. I take my fair share of the enabling, but it is pretty tough for a layman to know wtf is going on before it is too late.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2010, 11:05 PM
For the finger almost nothing. Maybe $150, including prescription medicines.

I've got insurance. State government plan.

Still, I've blown through more than $5K in out of pocket medical expenses in each of the last 5 years. This year, I've gone through more than $35K in out of pocket expenses. Mental health/substance abuse problems related to my daughter. Substance abuse problems are 5 years running with the first 4.5 years of substance abuse initiated and enabled by doctors. I take my fair share of the enabling, but it is pretty tough for a layman to know wtf is going on before it is too late.

Sorry, Dude. That flat-out fucking blows.

cdcox
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, a big part of the problem is that the American Medical Association is a complete joke. If they were truly representing doctors, we would have seen medical malpractice reform and insurance reform enacted years ago. So to some extent, I agree.

Well, I'm pretty sure all the members of the AMA are doctors, they provide a lions share of their income through dues, elect the AMA officers, and set the agenda for their their lobbyists. It is not all on doctors, but I just don't expect better from insurance companies or lawyers.

cdcox
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Sorry, Dude. That flat-out ****ing blows.

Yeah, it does. Shit happens. I don't completely blame the doctors, because most of them were good intentioned and were doing their best. Lots of people have it worse.

Sure-Oz
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM

Dumbfuck

Tactical Funky
06-17-2010, 12:05 AM
My father left Cuba during the communist revolution and arrived in Miami with nothing more than the clothes he was wearing and some change in his pocket. He sweated through all sorts of laborious jobs to support his younger siblings and ended up studying his ass off and making it into medical school. He retired last year after over 30 years of being a successful surgeon, during which time he went on numerous medical missions around the world to do pro-bono surgeries. He worked for most of his career at a now defunct hospital where his patients were mostly poor and marginalized.

But yes, it's only about the money and he deserves to rot in hell and die in a fire, right?

JFC you're a dumbass. :facepalm:

kcmaxwell
06-17-2010, 05:59 AM

this right here. Couldn't agree more!

jidar
06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
That they purposely choose not to cure, even if they could,

If you believe that I feel bad for you because you're just kind of stupid.

Reerun_KC
06-17-2010, 07:11 AM

:facepalm:

When my wife finishes ARNP school and starts her own clinic.. We would be more than happy to charge you 4K for 5 stiches... Sadly school is so demanding she probably wont be able to work during her school due to clinicals and such, but we will be more than happy to over charge people like you to pay for the massive amount of school debt though.

notorious
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Meh, the few times I have been to a doctor with family I diagnosed the problem via the internet. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is wrong, but it does take a lot of training, talent, and even luck to FIX the problem.

tooge
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
I had insurance, dummy. They said it wasn't an emergency, so no coverage. Either way, they have no right charging that much you ****ing asshole. You don't see anything wrong with charging $4K for something that cost them 5 dollars tops? And you call me stupid? Wow, we Americans are so ****ing naive.

yeah, and you have NO RIGHT charging $1.99 for a soda when you know damn well that the carbonated water and syrup in there amount to about 5 cents. By the way, a suture kit is more like $40, the anesthetic is gonna be in the range of $8 or so, the needle and syringe another $4, the iodine swabs a few more bucks, and the hospitals overhead for all of the nurses, and ER rooms to cover all the dipshits that dont have insurance and dont pay (so the treatment is free) comes to way more than 4K. Sounds like the doctor got screwed. He shoulda charged another grand or so or simply told you to go play hide and go fuck yourself.

Lzen
06-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I have had good experiences with doctors here in my city. I think just like most any profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. I believe the biggest percentage, by far, are good ones that just want to try and heal you the best they can.

I think people expect doctors to be miracle workers. Look, they are not perfect. The medical profession is not perfect. Sure, they are learning more and more every day, but that doesn't mean they know everything.

Reerun_KC
06-17-2010, 07:34 AM

No offense Laz, but some of my best buddies are Dr's down here in Edmond... They were also my flight students. One in particular has helped my family and I out a many of times and has saved us thousands upon thousands in medical bills, office visits and such.

Not everyone of them suck or are in it to kill people and steal all their money. Some are great people and family men.

notorious
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
No offense Laz, but some of my best buddies are Dr's down here in Edmond... They were also my flight students. One in particular has helped my family and I out a many of times and has saved us thousands upon thousands in medical bills, office visits and such.

Not everyone of them suck or are in it to kill people and steal all their money. Some are great people and family men.

Same here Mr. Reerun. Doctors are wired different, but are amazing people.

Did your Doctor students have a hard time with keeping a good training schedule? It was impossible for mine to keep a consistant schedule. It took most of them years to get their private.

kchero
06-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Respectfully I call bullsh#t on this thread. I work in the medical field and work first hand with other medical colleagues (doctors, nurses, pharmacists) and when we do rounds every morning we try our best to all pull our minds together for the best round of therapy, dosing of therapy that we can administer to the patient (while still trying to deal with what would be best with the patients insurance, or medicaid/medicare insurance in most cases).
I am sorry about your loved ones, but it sounds like they had serious issues to begin with. Individuals are not old cars that can just be rebuilt, obviously it is more complicated than that.
So I hate to say this, but you do not work at a hospital, clinic, etc. so it is easy for you to state that they suck/don't do their job, but that is just simple minded of you being since you do not have a clue of what we do / go through on a day to day basis.
I do agree that just like any other profession there are individuals who are not as good as others, but overall doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. are very qualified individuals.

Reerun_KC
06-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Same here Mr. Reerun. Doctors are wired different, but are amazing people.

Did your Doctor students have a hard time with keeping a good training schedule? It was impossible for mine to keep a consistant schedule. It took most of them years to get their private.

Yeah it was extremely hard to keep those guys flying... took them about 1 year to get them up to check ride speed. Now he is working on instrument... Going to take as long or longer.... LOL

loochy
06-17-2010, 08:18 AM
yeah, and you have NO RIGHT charging $1.99 for a soda when you know damn well that the carbonated water and syrup in there amount to about 5 cents. By the way, a suture kit is more like $40, the anesthetic is gonna be in the range of $8 or so, the needle and syringe another $4, the iodine swabs a few more bucks, and the hospitals overhead for all of the nurses, and ER rooms to cover all the dipshits that dont have insurance and dont pay (so the treatment is free) comes to way more than 4K. Sounds like the doctor got screwed. He shoulda charged another grand or so or simply told you to go play hide and go fuck yourself.

Good post. You beat me to the punch.

It looks like somebody here is actually smart enough to understand the concept of overhead costs.

Don't forget thigns like the cost of keeping the electricity on while you are in the hospital, the cost of processing your information in, the cost of malpractice insurance, the cost of blah blah blah...it goes on forever. There is a lot going on at a hospital and it needs to be paid for. Do you really think that you should pay only for the cost of materials? If so, then buy a kit and do it yourself next time - MOHillbily style. :D

SenselessChiefsFan
06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
You're a dumb****, plain and simple.

It's all fueled by envy. Doctors were actually motivated to go to school, go through residency, delay gratification for years. While Bubba, couldn't wait to get his raise at Wal-Mart so he could get his new Camaro...... only, he has to convince his mom to let him park his new car in the garage.

Now, the Doctor makes six figures, is well respected and has a fulfilled life. The fact that he has so much going for him and is still HUMAN, is unacceptable.

EWOK
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Having spent the last 2 months in and out of the hospital, this is my thoughts; First lawyers and insurance companies made health care what it is today. Second people without insurance using the ER has a office visit, following those lines people stealing equipment from the hospital ,having their kids run all around unsupervised while the yelling at the nurses who are trying to rain them in. Third we need to take responsibility for our bodies. Lastly While some make horrible mistakes most are extremely dedicated to helping people.

patteeu
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Hell I have insurance and I would still be bankrupt if anything catastrophic happened to me.

This is the root of the problem. Good post.

patteeu
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Laz should have his thread posting priviledges suspended for bringing his political BS to the Lounge. ;)

loochy
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Laz should have his thread posting priviledges suspended for bringing his political BS to the Lounge. ;)

But then he should have the priviledges reinstated because of his awesome avatar.:D

bevischief
06-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I understand that many people just can't afford health insurance when they're not offered a group program by their employer. But, there are ways around this, such as creating an LLC and purchasing a group plan for your family. That would save thousands.

I do believe that once the new Health Care laws go into effect, there will be far more affordable options. The most important aspect of the new laws will be the fact that insurance companies can't cut off people for exceeding their benefit limit.

That practice is unconscionable to me.

But Obama care coverage is only 60%...

tooge
06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
bottom line is this. Waiter boy can screw up my order and give me tots instead of fries. I might get a free meal out of it, but more likely, I just wont tip waiter boy as much. I screw up a small procedure, and I'm out of a job for a year or more and owe the patient more than waiter boy makes in 10 years. Its called accountability. Generally, in our society, those with greater responsability and accountability are compensated more. What is not to get here?

bluehawkdoc
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I had insurance, dummy. They said it wasn't an emergency, so no coverage. Either way, they have no right charging that much you ****ing asshole. You don't see anything wrong with charging $4K for something that cost them 5 dollars tops? And you call me stupid? Wow, we Americans are so ****ing naive.

Wow! If the stitches only cost $5, I would have paid another $15 out of my own pocket to have them sew your lips and fingers together so I wouldn't have to read your drivel.

OnTheWarpath15
06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Wow! If the stitches only cost $5, I would have paid another $15 out of my own pocket to have them sew your lips and fingers together so I wouldn't have to read your drivel.

LMAO

You need to post more.

kindra68
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM

whoa! when did i get a raise! and a good one at that! ...
Sad thing is I’m in that same boat.
And with all the “cancer scares” I have had already, I have set myself up for just dieing. You know why? Cause I know I can’t afford to survive it. And if I tried I would put my son in so much debt he could never get out. Nope. No thank you. He’ll just have to remember me happy instead of broken.

Demonpenz
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
yes...give up...get the fuck out of the way for people like me who are winners.