PDA

View Full Version : Life How well do you handle injuries?

El Jefe
06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
How well do you handle your own injuries and dealing with others who are injured? Last night our Church had the "finale" for our teen week, and it was mud night. We had like a giant slip and slide that went down to the bottom of the hill where we had a pit with a couple tarps filled with mud and water surrounded by straw bail barriers to keep everything in. Anyways they had some big metal slabs holding the tarps down to the straw bails. It was kind of a fluke accident but a girl hit the straw bails and somehow punctured her palm on the metal object and it gouged her hand pretty good. One of the adults started acting silly so I grabbed her and told her not to look at it and took her to one of the nurses from our church that was there, she cleaned it up and tadow it was done. But it got me thinking, how do you react when someone is injured, do you just take over the situation or do you freeze up and let someone else handle it? Does excess blood make you act a fool?

Reminds me of a couple times I was injured when I was a kid, one time I nearly cut my finger off my left hand. I was in shock and my dad came over to me and just held my arm up in the air and drug me in inside and told me I was fine, and then took me to the hospital. I was at a friends house when I fractured my nose in their pool and was bleeding profusely and his dad acted like a women and didn't have a clue what to do.

CoMoChief
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I can break a limb and not bitch about it, I'll just deal w/ it.......but I bitch about things like paper cuts and blisters....sounds dumb i know.

seclark
06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
i handle others ok, i guess. had a buddy run over his foot w/a lawnmower and wacked off 3 toes. wrapped up his foot and took him to the hospital. then i went back to his house and picked up two toes but never found the big one. i think his dog ate it, cause it died a few days after that.

i don't worry about my own...the wife takes care of me.
sec

rockymtnchief
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I've seen some nasty stuff happen to others rodeoing. Compound fractures, crushed faces and balls, etc... and it doesn't bother me. But when I broke out a chunk of a power pole and became impaled on a lilac stump, It was all I could do to keep from passing out.

MOhillbilly
when i get hurt i suck it up and move on unless its major like i cant set the bone, get at the laceration for stiches.
If someone else gets hurt i do what i can.

Old Dog
As long as it isn't my kids (or now grandson) I'm fine. Any of them and I get a bit antsy.
Casn deal with my own OK, have stiched myself up a time or three, no big deal.

Jilly
06-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm a mom of a toddler, so I tend to handle injuries very calmly.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
man ive got a good story but my written word skills wouldnt do it justice.

tooge
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I've seen enough of my blood and blood of buddies over the years, that it doesn't bother me. I have a high pain tolerance too. About the only thing that has literally brought me to my knees was the snake bite a few weeks ago.

seclark
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
man ive got a good story but my written word skills wouldnt do it justice.

spill it...
sec

petegz28
06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
depends who is around. If it's the guys I have to act like a man. If it's the wife I know I can get babied!!! :)

Red Beans
Busted my leg playing soccer at 23. I tried to stand up and watched the lower half of my leg buckle, luckily it didn't puncture the skin. I kind of shouted something that sounded like, "AARRRGGGHH" and promptly laid down. The guy who slid into me asked if I was alright, I told him, "No, you broke my fucking leg." That was that. I just waited quitely for the paramedics. The only hysteria I suffered was my insistance on more morphine.

I do ok with my own injuries, other folks...not so good.

Otter
I've had quiet a few and handle them pretty well.

There's something really weird with the time between when you get hurt (broken bones & dislocations) and the time when reality sets in. I'll never forget the feeling of looking down and realizing you're actually really hurt. It's like a super slow motion bad dream.

I can handle it. It's when I see nieces or nephews or someone I really care about hurt that makes me sick. I'm pretty sure if I were a bee I'd be one of the guys that flew out with no regard for his own safety just looking out for everyone else.

El Jefe
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
when i get hurt i suck it up and move on unless its major like i cant set the bone, get at the laceration for stiches.
If someone else gets hurt i do what i can.

I can deal with a lot of stuff, but I don't think I would do well stiching myself up Rambo style :Lin:

OnTheWarpath15
06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I've had quiet a few and handle them pretty well.

There's something really weird with the time between when you get hurt (broken bones & dislocations) and the time when reality sets in. I'll never forget the feeling of looking down and realizing you're actually really hurt. It's like a super slow motion bad dream.

Yep.

I suffered a clean break of my collarbone when I was 13. Rode my bike one handed up a 3/4 mile, 30* hill back to the house. Had no idea, other than my shoulder hurt.

It wasn't until I got home and looked in the mirror and saw the bone wanting to pop through the skin that I fully realized what had happened.

Funny thing is, I really felt no significant pain until they put me in a harness to try to set that fucker.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I can deal with a lot of stuff, but I don't think I would do well stiching myself up Rambo style :Lin:

super glue works well.

OnTheWarpath15
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
super glue works well.

So does a staple gun.

I'll never forget the day I was mowing the lawn - I was 15 at the time - and I had just finished and shut it off when I heard this "MOTHERFUCKINGSONOFABITCH" come from the next door neighbor's garage.

Ran over, and Mr. Stevens had somehow sliced the fuck out of his left forearm.

The SOB promptly grabs a staple gun, and 35 staples later, had somewhat closed the wound, and proceeded to drive himself to the hospital. He made his wife ride shotgun.

LMAO

seclark
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
super glue works well.

very well
sec

excessive
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I broke a collar bone playing rugby--finished that game and ended up playing the next week as well because we were short a player. I wasn't much good on defense but did okay with the ball.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I broke a collar bone playing rugby--finished that game and ended up playing the next week as well because we were short a player. I wasn't much good on defense but did okay with the ball.

broke my thumb between the wrist and 1st joint. Was layed over on the back of my wrist just below the pinky. that was rockin pain. practiced two weeks after and started 3 weeks after that(under tackle 5A). If i hadnt got a insane staff infection id have played in 4 weeks.
Broke my leg and blew my knee out 3 weeks after. so goes it.

El Jefe
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
super glue works well.

We use it a lot to fix small cuts down at the shop no doubt.

El Jefe
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
broke my thumb between the wrist and 1st joint. Was layed over on the back of my wrist just below the pinky. that was rockin pain. practiced two weeks after and started 3 weeks after that(under tackle 5A). If i hadnt got a insane staff infection id have played in 4 weeks.
Broke my leg and blew my knee out 3 weeks after. so goes it.

Geesh it sounds like you have a medical record that would rival mine.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Geesh it sounds like you have a medical record that would rival mine.

broke my teeth out,skull fracture,collar bone,tore a pinky rh damn near off, broken nose 4-5 times, broke fingers 6-7 times,broken wrist, both big toes, blew a ear drum out......went to the hosp. for the first two and whats listed before and thats it.

rockymtnchief
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Also, had my ribs run through my lung and liver and still ran out of the arena. It hurt like hell! But it didn't hurt half as bad as 4 little tiny nurses trying to lift me into the MRI machine and dropping me.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Also, had my ribs run through my lung and liver and still ran out of the arena. It hurt like hell! But it didn't hurt half as bad as 4 little tiny nurses trying to lift me into the MRI machine and dropping me.

Cat hunting i assume.

rockymtnchief
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Cat hunting i assume.

Bullriding. Got a horn under my vest and ran my back ribs almost all the way through me.

El Jefe
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Bullriding. Got a horn under my vest and ran my back ribs almost all the way through me.

Mother of Pearl :eek:

38yrsfan
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately I had way to many experiences with serious injury, myself and others, and death at a young age thanks to the kindness of our governnment and my habit of volunteering. I had "field" medical training as the backup to the backup - plug, patch and evac.

As a civilian did a successfull cpr on a delivery guy dropping of a new couch at my neighbors, he lived. Had to dislodge a blockage in the throat of one of my boys when he was choking - he still talks about that 10 years later. Latest event was a couple years ago - scout at summer camp embedded an axe in his leg, 3 of us worked that one, kid came out just fine and with a scar to brag about - he did lose a corner off his Tot-n-Chip card though.

Probably because of exposure and training but I just do what I can when needed.

:shrug:

JOhn
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
13+ years as a Paramedic, yea I tend to take charge.

Maybe it's wrong, but I love a good gory accident:D

Phobia
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM
super glue works well.

I cracked my head open pretty good last fall. Wife sent me to emergency room. I want to Home Depot and bought superglue. Lady next door is a men's hair restore tech so I had her push it together and glue it. She cut my hair a couple days ago and couldn't even find the scar.

Let's see - $800 or $3.68?

Phobia
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty calm unless it's major. If a worker's brains are plastered all over a client's driveway, I panic - bury him in the woods and shoot the rest of the workers who were on that job.... after they clean up.

JOhn
06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty calm unless it's major. If a worker's brains are plastered all over a client's driveway, I panic - bury him in the woods and shoot the rest of the workers who were on that job.... after they clean up.

ROFL

Gracie Dean
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I do well with others and my self. I don't do well with my baby (who is almost 19) When she was little, I had to take my sister with me to get her baby shots. I just couldn't do it.

When my father died, All 6 of us kids and my mom were all there. My husband and my sisters husband were on the way to the hospital. They all fell apart, I kept it together until my hubby got there then I lost it, but before that, I was the one who had to list the funeral home and tell them no autopsy and all that stuff.

Hootie
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
broke my teeth out,skull fracture,collar bone,tore a pinky rh damn near off, broken nose 4-5 times, broke fingers 6-7 times,broken wrist, both big toes, blew a ear drum out......went to the hosp. for the first two and whats listed before and thats it.

damn

you must be a dumbass

Al Bundy
06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
In the words of Patrick Swayze.... "Pain don't hurt."

bevischief
06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I was 3 years old and green stick on my right arm and did not cry, both bones. That F#$$er hurt that is why I still remember.

bevischief
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I serious burned my legs last summer 3rd degree burns, should have been admitted after the fact... I walked in the ER and gave them my insurance card, I don't remember much after that, or the next month as I recovered... Got to love Vicodin.

Tribal Warfare
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I dislocated my left kneecap during a belt test in a sparing match, and completed all three matches with other opponents that followed the injury. I have an extremely high pain tolerance

Gracie Dean
06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
a few years ago, hubby was removing an anetnna in the back yard. It had sections and when he yanked up, the top section dislodged and came down on his head. Cut a really nice circle in his head. Had to take him to the ER and watched the doc sew him up. I was pretty steady, had that been my kid however, I migh thave really gone bezerk

Chief Chief
06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
But it got me thinking, how do you react when someone is injured, do you just take over the situation or do you freeze up and let someone else handle it?

The team doc freezes up the injury and they let another QB handle the team for the rest of the season.

Your PUP play-uh 4ever,
Brodie

FAX
06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
When I broke my spine, I took it in stride (it was more like a limp, but you get the idea).

But, the time that stripper from Tulsa hit me in the balls with a wooden mixing spoon I seriously considered drowning her in the toilet.

FAX

bevischief
06-17-2010, 07:07 PM
When I broke my spine, I took it in stride (it was more like a limp, but you get the idea).

But, the time that stripper from Tulsa hit me in the balls with a wooden mixing spoon I seriously considered drowning her in the toilet.

FAX

ROFL

Silock
06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
I can play through pain, but as far as "handling" it, I have to force myself to take the necessary time off to really heal up properly.

I broke my arm playing soccer, and only briefly subbed out. Tried to come back in and nearly passed out a few minutes later. Then I had to go to the ER ROFL

Pablo
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I was playing frisbee in the field behind my Dad's house when I was 13 or so.

He'd just pulled out some fence poles and there were open holes in the ground in a row. I managed to run full speed and plant my foot down into one of these holes and ran a piece of support rebar through my foot. Then I had to unstick my foot and hobble about 80 yards back up to the house. I was bleeding like a stuck pig and I distinctly remember my little brother bitching me out because I was bleeding all over the steps we had just helped my dad re-build that day.

Thankfully when shit like that happens you're usually in too much shock to really react. The body has wonderful coping mechanisms. Hurt a whole lot more at the ER when they were cleaning it out and stitching it up.

SenselessChiefsFan
06-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I deal with it well when it is myself. I deal with it even better when it is someone else.

I don't much think about it, I just start helping out. I don't think about the situation until after it is done.

Groves
06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Let's see - $800 or $3.68?

Didn't you tip her? Or was that glue only $1.68?

Phobia
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Didn't you tip her? Or was that glue only $1.68?

We're neighbors. We do neighborly things for neighbors in my neighborhood. She glues my head and I helped her bury her husband.