PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Herolympics Sweaty Sixteen - Round 3, Matchup 1

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
We're down to 16 contestants. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6832796&postcount=424)

In our first fight, The Terminator takes on Bryan Mills (Taken).

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/terminator-2-judgement-day-arnold.jpg http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/00020964.jpg

Now, we already know humans can take down Terminators. To make the competition fair, we'll assume Bryan Mills has been provided with the resources to take out a Terminator. Perhaps there's a big robot-crushing machine laying around.

Is Bryan Mills capable of figuring out that he's fighting a robot, and then using his particular set of skills to take it down?

Crush
06-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Now, we already know humans can take down Terminators. To make the competition fair, we'll assume Bryan Mills has been provided with the resources to take out a Terminator. Perhaps there's a big robot-crushing machine laying around.

Is Bryan Mills capable of figuring out that he's fighting a robot, and then using his particular set of skills to take it down?

Since he has access to a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range, Bryan Mills takes this one.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 11:52 AM
So... he has access to a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range? Bryan Mills takes this one.

Access, yes. But we have to consider this: Bryan Mills has never even SEEN a 40-watt plasma rifle. How is he going to know how to pick it up?

L.A. Chieffan
06-20-2010, 11:54 AM
if its just mills against the t800, then terminator easily wins. however, if the terminator has been programmed to kidnap mills' daughter and sell her into prostitution, arnie is toast.

Crush
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Access, yes. But we have to consider this: Bryan Mills has never even SEEN a 40-watt plasma rifle. How is he going to know how to pick it up?

There is an instruction manual under that French guy's sink.

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 12:08 PM
How the FUCKING FUCK did Bryan Mills make it this far. I am going to tear my own ass up with habaneros in fucking protest. His movie Taken was pure shit.

Fuck, this is as bad as drafting Tayson Jackson.

RNR
06-20-2010, 12:12 PM
if its just mills against the t800, then terminator easily wins. however, if the terminator has been programmed to kidnap mills' daughter and sell her into prostitution, arnie is toast.

LMAO

RNR
06-20-2010, 12:13 PM
How the ****ING **** did Bryan Mills make it this far. I am going to tear my own ass up with habaneros in ****ing protest. His movie Taken was pure shit.

****, this is as bad as drafting Tayson Jackson.

Uh...I kinda liked that movie~

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Bryan Mills will probably cause some damage to our Terminator. He will approach the Term thinking that he's approaching a normal human. Tries to round house kick him to subdue him. To his surprise, the Term will grab his left leg and break it. Proceeds to break Mills' neck and perhaps steal his jacket because BM has a decent taste when it comes to dressing well.

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Uh...I kinda liked that movie~

You have been one of the few good Raiders fans. Now, fuck it. Your taste in Teams and movies sucks.

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
http://fupaper.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/terminator-41.jpg

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
How the FUCKING FUCK did Bryan Mills make it this far. I am going to tear my own ass up with habaneros in fucking protest. His movie Taken was pure shit.

Bryan Mills is a fraud who benefited from a surge of sudden hate for Conan The Barbarian.

RNR
06-20-2010, 12:22 PM
You have been one of the few good Raiders fans. Now, **** it. Your taste in Teams and movies sucks.

LMAO....well your favorite team does not speak well for your taste :) I voted for the robot~

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Bryan Mills is a fraud who benefited from a surge of sudden hate for Conan The Barbarian.

Crush, GoChiefs, kstater, Reaper16 Voted for Bryan Mills.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Crush, GoChiefs, kstater, Reaper16 Voted for Bryan Mills.

Well, I think he'd stand a chance against the Terminator. Plus, I also think the Terminator is kind of a fraud.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2010, 12:41 PM
How the ****ING **** did Bryan Mills make it this far.

He must have been in a weak bracket?

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Sorry if it wasn't intended, but I take into account the quality of the character and the movie the character is from when determining my vote. Even Liam Neeson couldn't save Taken from being a boring pile of shit. Every second where he wasn't killing someone was worthless and there were far too many of those seconds.

06-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I fuggin hate Terminator as the number one seed. Personally, I don't think Terminator should even be on this list.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I fuggin hate Terminator as the number one seed. Personally, I don't think Terminator should even be on this list.

Agreed...been saying for awhile now that his list was far too broad.

06-20-2010, 12:48 PM

It is not even a hero, just a fuggin killing machine that follows its programming. Doesn't think for itself at all.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I agree, but he is so he gets my vote. Not sure what the bracket looks like but if he was going up against either Lee or Riggs he'd be going down this round for sure. I bet he'll be gone next round.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM
The problem with the T-800 is that there are a number of modern weapons that could easily dispatch a T-800.

A .50 caliber firing Raufoss ammo would make short work of one.

An RPG would completely incapacitate one as well.

Mills is a smart guy with great skills and training...but he also has access to them.

I need to know more about the dynamics of the situation before I vote.

06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
As a matter of fact, Sarah fucking Connor should be on this list before the fucking Terminator.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 12:55 PM
The problem with the T-800 is that there are a number of modern weapons that could easily dispatch a T-800.

Mills is a smart guy with great skills and training...but he also has access to them.

I hear all of these arguments and they are sound, but I'm a little weary of vague military history and training as a replacement for an original character. At least with the Terminator they had the decency to not insult the audience and just say, "Oh, Fuck it. He's a future robot."

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Every matchup is essentially the same - dimly lit maze, both sides have access to the same weaponry.

Good points on the weapons. The Terminator is not invincible by any means.

And as I stated in the other thread, yes Bryan Mills was in a weak opening heat.

Biggest frauds: Bryan Mills (benefited from a weak opening heat against Colt Seavers and Remo Fucking Williams, who got the shaft), Josey Wales (Robocop should be here), The Terminator (his heat was decent enough, but Jules was way too easy in the second round).

MOhillbilly
06-20-2010, 12:59 PM

That poll was a fraud. This election is a fraud.

06-20-2010, 01:00 PM
That poll was a fraud. This election is a fraud.

There is nothing wrong with the poll or election. The problem is with everyone voting for a damn machine. ROFL

Thig Lyfe
06-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Taken was a terrible movie, but Liam Neeson was a total badass in it. The voting is for the characters, not the movies.

cdcox
06-20-2010, 01:04 PM
As I pointed out before, Terminator is a villian (first movie where he was at his best).

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Every matchup is essentially the same - dimly lit maze, both sides have access to the same weaponry.

And as I stated in the other thread, yes Bryan Mills was in a weak opening heat.

An RPG does Mills no good in a maze unless he has about 20 meters of clearance.

I could see Mills, knowing that the T-800 would be after it, using mines to deter the T-800, but they'd have to be anti-tank mines to make a real difference.

06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
The maze analogy is probably not a very good one because it doesn't allow all possibilities and requires pretty much all hand to hand combat.

Let them have it out in a small town or something.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
As I pointed out before, Terminator is a villian (first movie where he was at his best).

Well he was a hero in 2 and 3. I guess if you count his cameo in Salvation it evens out. I think the argument that he's a machine is stronger, but as I said, like it or not, he's in the running so I'm voting for the best candidate.

There are not words for how disappointed I will be in CP if Mills makes it to the Elite 8. (or whatever GoChiefs calls it.)

06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Well he was a hero in 2 and 3. I guess if you count his cameo in Salvation it evens out. I think the argument that he's a machine is stronger, but as I said, like it or not, he's in the running so I'm voting for the best candidate.

There are not words for how disappointed I will be in CP if Mills makes it to the Elite 8. (or whatever GoChiefs calls it.)

It was never a hero. NEVER. Just a killing machine. Hell it even stood on one leg when told to do so. Christ!!!!

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:09 PM

LMAO I love that this is being established AFTER half of the field has been eliminated.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
It was never a hero. NEVER. Just a killing machine. Hell it even stood on one leg when told to do so. Christ!!!!

LMAO touche`

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 01:15 PM
LMAO I love that this is being established AFTER half of the field has been eliminated.

It was established in the second poll, after the arena setting in the first poll was deemed too favorable to ranged experts.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 01:20 PM

Sorry, the T2 T-800 is a goddamn hero. He saves Sarah Connor and John Connor despite getting his ass kicked five minutes earlier.

And he goes out like a hero!

http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/terminator_t2_judgment_day_thumbs_up_01-590x251.jpg

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Sorry, the T2 T-800 is a goddamn hero. He saves Sarah Connor and John Connor despite getting his ass kicked five minutes earlier.

And he goes out like a hero!

http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/terminator_t2_judgment_day_thumbs_up_01-590x251.jpg

Good point. Still, he imitates a hero, but he is really a slave to programming. I suppose we could get really philisophical about it and say things like, "aren't we all?"

I guess the deciding factor is that I do still get a little misty when he lowers himself into that vat. Hero it is.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Exactly.

And blowing himself up in Terminator 3 was incredibly heroic. That's how bad motherfuckers go out.

06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Not that it will change my opinion but was it established which Terminator was being voted for at the beginning of any poll? There are four movies after all and each is a different terminator.

My argument is that a terminator is a terminator no matter how you slice it. The only thing that was different was their programming. Why did the terminator from T2 not kill people? Because he was told not to. Call John Connor the hero of that movie. He killed the terminator in the end because the terminator couldn't even do that himself.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 01:31 PM
It's obviously the T-800 from T2.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Not that it will change my opinion but was it established which Terminator was being voted for at the beginning of any poll? There are four movies after all and each is a different terminator.

My argument is that a terminator is a terminator no matter how you slice it. The only thing that was different was their programming. Why did the terminator from T2 not kill people? Because he was told not to. Call John Connor the hero of that movie. He killed the terminator in the end because the terminator couldn't even do that himself.

One aspect of a hero is the inspiration it gives to others. T2 terminator, programmed or not, was single-minded and selfless. Sarah even commented that it was the closest thing to a father John ever had. The actions of that machine (along with the training of his mother) were huge inspirations to a John Conner that until then had shunned his destiny. Since Conner went on to be the savior of the human race I think that speaks highly of the T-800's heroic qualities.

06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
One aspect of a hero is the inspiration it gives to others. T2 terminator, programmed or not, was single-minded and selfless. Sarah even commented that it was the closest thing to a father John ever had. The actions of that machine (along with the training of his mother) were huge inspirations to a John Conner that until then had shunned his destiny. Since Conner went on to be the savior of the human race I think that speaks highly of the T-800's heroic qualities.

Nicely done. :clap:

The only thing I would disagree with you on is the "single-minded and selfless" part. It can be neither because it can't think for itself.

Still, that was a very well thought out rebuttal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 01:46 PM
It actually can think for itself, that's why when they go out in the field, Skynet flips the switch to read only.

06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
It actually can think for itself, that's why when they go out in the field, Skynet flips the switch to read only.
That is not thinking for itself. That is blindly following orders. Only in this case it has no choice in the matter. Thinking for ones self requires choice.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 01:53 PM

That is not thinking for itself. That is blindly following orders. Only in this case it has no choice in the matter. Thinking for ones self requires choice.

Agree with Guru. It is my understanding that while Skynet is sentient, each of it's creations are merely advanced AI operating off programming. I suppose the programming could be so intricate that a terminator's "decisions" would be nearly indistinguishable from rational thought, but I don't think that's the case here. Most of the T-800's responses are pretty transparent and based a a few simple guidelines.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
The T-800 is capable of thinking for itself. John Connor wanted to go home in T2.

"Negative. The t-1000 would definitely try to reacquire you there."

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Which is why Skynet flips the switch to read only.

If its CPU is switched to where it can think and learn from past experience, it becomes capable of independent choice, including the ability to defy orders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDo7wVXrBQ&feature=related

Skip ahead to 40 seconds.

06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
The T-800 is capable of thinking for itself. John Connor wanted to go home in T2.

"Negative. The t-1000 would definitely try to reacquire you there."
It's in its programming to know what the other terminator will do. It's a terminator.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Threads like these are why the Herolympics are awesome.

06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Which is why Skynet flips the switch to read only.

If its CPU is switched to where it can think and learn from past experience, it becomes capable of independent choice, including the ability to defy orders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDo7wVXrBQ&feature=related

Skip ahead to 40 seconds.

Still no choice involved there. It was completely at the mercy of either Skynet programming or them shutting it down to reset the switch for it to learn. It was still following orders at the end though. If it was able to think for itself why couldn't it self terminate at the end of the movie?

06-20-2010, 02:10 PM

I definitely agree. I've enjoyed this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Still no choice involved there. It was completely at the mercy of either Skynet programming or them shutting it down to reset the switch for it to learn. It was still following orders at the end though. If it was able to think for itself why couldn't it self terminate at the end of the movie?

Sacrificing yourself for the greater good.

FWIW, depending on what you can consider canonical, this issue has already been dealt with in the TV show.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 02:12 PM

This is basically my college years rehashed. Spending more time dissecting a movie or comic book mythos than the original writers spent coming up with it.

06-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Sacrificing yourself for the greater good.

FWIW, depending on what you can consider canonical, this issue has already been dealt with in the TV show.

I watched the series but don't remember that part of it.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM

While it couldn't physically kill itself, it did make the decision to allow itself to be terminated. This could be seen as progress beyond what Skynet had programmed. In fact it flew in the face of that programming.

Then again, it's more likely that the humans who reprogrammed the T-800 added a little something about screwing over Skynet any chance it got in addition to just protecting John Conner.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I watched the series but don't remember that part of it.

Cameron was able to lie and disregard programming based on her own volition. She hid parts of other Ts for example, lied to John about a variety of things, and even after he "fixed" her at the beginning of S2, she still had the terminate order but disregarded it.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Cameron was able to lie and disregard programming based on her own volition. She hid parts of other Ts for example, lied to John about a variety of things, and even after he "fixed" her at the beginning of S2, she still had the terminate order but disregarded it.

What model was she in that? More advanced than the T-800, no? (And hotter)

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
FWIW, debating this makes me feel like a virgin.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
What model was she in that? More advanced than the T-800, no? (And hotter)

TOK715

But its CPU operates under the same premise.

06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Cameron was able to lie and disregard programming based on her own volition. She hid parts of other Ts for example, lied to John about a variety of things, and even after he "fixed" her at the beginning of S2, she still had the terminate order but disregarded it.OK, I remember that now. Thanks.

As far as canon goes I think I would defer to only what the first two movies covered.

That being said though, the series was outstanding and should never have been cancelled.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 02:23 PM
TOK715

But its CPU operates under the same premise.

LOL, yeah, virgin.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
OK, I remember that now. Thanks.

As far as canon goes I think I would defer to only what the first two movies covered.

That being said though, the series was outstanding and should never have been cancelled.

Cool.

And yeah, I definitely agree about the series. I can never get enough Terminator shit.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Cool.

And yeah, I definitely agree about the series. I can never get enough Terminator shit.

Even if it's a sequel to "Salvation?"

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Even if it's a sequel to "Salvation?"

I actually liked Salvation. With a story that focused more on Connor and more future war sequences, a sequel could be badass.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Salvation was pretty good for being the worst Terminator production ever. It had loads of badass shit, it could have been really great with a better script.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Salvation was pretty good for being the worst Terminator production ever. It had loads of badass shit, it could have been really great with a better script.

And with a better lead. Sam Worthington is Ambien incarnate.

06-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I liked Salvation as well but it should have been more about Connor and less about Worthingtons character.

L.A. Chieffan
06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
i dont give a fuck, hero or not, in a fight between these two characters t800 wins.

Fritz88
06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
In a dimly lit maze, T would prevail. Flip night vision on and fuck Mills. End of story.

06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
i dont give a ****, hero or not, in a fight between these two characters t800 wins.

Sarah Connor beat a terminator.

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Sarah Connor beat a terminator.

She had Kyle Reese explaining everything to her. Mills would die before he got over the WTF phase.

06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
She had Kyle Reese explaining everything to her. Mills would die before he got over the WTF phase.
ROFL