PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Just got home from the 11 & Under Midwest Youth National Baskestball Tourney

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.midwestyouthtournaments.com/docs/Boys-National-Tour.pdf

( Page 4 )

We ( The Ky Magic ) went 3-0 in our pool play, got a # 1 seed and lost in the Elite 8. The sad part is we didn't play well and IMHO were every bit as good as any of the 7 other teams left. But all in all it was a good trip for the boys. Just to name a few, teams came as far away as St,Louis, Birmingham, Indianapolis, Memphis & Columbus,Oh. plus a few local Louisville teams. We just had an off game against the Columbus Oh. team. We were down by 5 at the half without our point guard. He got dizzy 2 minutes into the game and fell to his knees. Had to stop the game to take him out. He didn't make it back in until the half. The 2nd half was a war never getting the lead but many times down by 1 point . We were down by 3 with a minute to go, got an open 3pt.shot that went in and came back out.....:grr: That could have changed the whole game had it gone in ........They get the ball on the rebound we foul them on an open fast break layup, but they only make 1, it's still a 4 point game. We still have a chance, came back down and drove the lane with our point guard, he got hammered..... :grr::grr::grr: What ? a no call ? Luck would have it, the kids were like looking at the refs, what the heck is going on here , the other team took it down for a layup.... game over with 10 seconds left. We lost 44 - 38 .:shake:

But I was proud of our kids, our kids are good,we just had too many turnovers, that was the difference in the game. Just one of those days !!!!!

Rain Man
06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I always thought Roy was older than that.

Congrats on a reasonably good tournament.

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I always thought Roy was older than that.

Congrats on a reasonably good tournament.

Heh, Kevin, you never fail to amaze me on your wit.

My grand son was playing. He 5'9" and growing, going into the 6th grade next year and the 7th & 6th grade team is calling for him to come and play on their teams.He's the same boy I coached in football to 2 county titles. Sadly I have to keep him out of Jr High football this next year due to scoliosis starting in his spine. We are going to put him in a brace that he wears under his clothing and do some heavy work outs on his left side. He has an over developed back muscles on the right. If we can get the left side to work harder, maybe it will develop faster and allow the needed movement of his spine back to the right.

The boy is a gifted athlete, I hope this doesn't hider his chance at a possible pro career.

Ebolapox
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM
you're talking about a possible pro career before the sixth grade? aim high, I guess; however, todd marinovich says this is a bad thought process.

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM
you're talking about a possible pro career before the sixth grade? aim high, I guess; however, todd marinovich says this is a bad thought process.

It's what he wants. I told him if that is his dream, he has to work hard at it now, everyday, doing something. One day it's football drills for 1 hour, another basketball drills for 1 hour on Mondays & Tuesdays, Weds. is church. Thursday & Friday back to work, weekends are for games / tournaments ...Sundays are off unless it's a basketball tourney.

His work ethic is solid, he'll try to talk his way out of it at times, I just remind him of his promise to me and what his dream is.

His dad was a good athlete in school, but didn't have the grades or the brains to do something about it. He is big, 6'6", 315 lbs now. He is the guy that waited too long ( started at age 33 , he's 39 now )to get into boxing but is making a run at it. He was to fight in Winston Salem Friday night for some heavyweight title. Last I heard was he won , but I haven't seen the results yet so I do not know what kind of small title he has now. Whatever it is , it will go to his head.

I'm raising this boy ( my grandson ) to be humble and work hard for everything you want. Start early, make a commitment and stay with it, see it through.

Hootie
06-20-2010, 11:38 PM
the KY Magic, huh?

Yikes on that name.

Hootie
06-20-2010, 11:41 PM
did you guys lose to the Screaming Orgasms?

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 11:41 PM
the KY Magic, huh?

Yikes on that name.

I know, I didn't get nowhere trying to get them to adopt the Jayhawks. :D

We have a solid group of kids in the 5th & 6th grade. Next year they move up to 7th * 8th grade ball, the HS coaches are already looking at what we got started with them.

This group of kids have a real chance of doing something on the state level if they all stay together.

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 11:42 PM

?:spock:

Hootie
06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I remember my junior high squad...we made it to state both years and got 4th my 8th grade year...our best player was a full grown man and he probably averaged 20 PPG, 10 RPG and 10 SPG...he was incredible. Problem is, he was better in 8th grade than he was as a senior in high school...no joke...and when everyone caught up he was just a normal, quality starter...nothing more, nothing less.

We lost in 7th grade to Richard McBride's team...he played for the Illini...he was probably 6'2" and fully ripped when we were in 7th grade...and he was dunking in the pregame warmup line...I was probably 5' 105 lbs. and needless to say, we were pretty fucking intimidated.

Moral of the story: Junior high basketball doesn't mean shit...some people are fully developed men when they are 12 years old...I didn't start growing facial hair until I was 18...I was a kid in junior high...the best three players on my team were already men.

Hootie
06-20-2010, 11:53 PM
In fact, basketball was always my best sport when I was in 4th, 5th grade...I played in Kansas at that time and I remember being the MVP of my 5th grade team and winning multiple free throw contests for the Knights of Columbus because I was automatic back then...

but then I moved to Illinois and, although I made the team in 7th grade, I was playing with two all-state caliber guys who just shattered everyones confidence...they were 6'+...ripped...quick...and like I said...men. Men playing against boys...

I was a guard, they were guards...it was cool and all to destroy teams left and right and win by 30 every game...but they were the ones who got all of the attention (and rightfully so) and the rest of us were kind of like..."blah"...

I stopped practicing basketball so religiously and started focusing on baseball...and by the time I was in high school it was clear that baseball was my best chance for a scholarship so I started playing year round and only caring about basketball during the season...

It's too bad, too...because I ended up growing into the perfect basketball body when I was about a junior but at that time I was pretty gung-ho about baseball...if I were ever a coach of a junior high team...I wouldn't be so enamored with the ones that have already fully gone through puberty...not one bit...I don't think wins and losses start to matter until high school...

In high school we got 4th place in basketball at State in Illinois...that was a pretty big deal considering how small our school was...and my class was LOADED with talent...we would have been EVEN better had some of the coaches paid attention to the other kids that weren't already 6'3" and superfreaks as 13 year olds.

Hootie
06-20-2010, 11:55 PM
and it absolutely cracks me up when I attend 5th-7th grade games and see parents yelling or coaches screaming etc. etc. etc.

That doesn't belong one bit in that age group...not at all.

Winning doesn't mean A THING until high school...

ROYC75
06-20-2010, 11:55 PM
I remember my junior high squad...we made it to state both years and got 4th my 8th grade year...our best player was a full grown man and he probably averaged 20 PPG, 10 RPG and 10 SPG...he was incredible. Problem is, he was better in 8th grade than he was as a senior in high school...no joke...and when everyone caught up he was just a normal, quality starter...nothing more, nothing less.

We lost in 7th grade to Richard McBride's team...he played for the Illini...he was probably 6'2" and fully ripped when we were in 7th grade...and he was dunking in the pregame warmup line...I was probably 5' 105 lbs. and needless to say, we were pretty ****ing intimidated.

Moral of the story: Junior high basketball doesn't mean shit...some people are fully developed men when they are 12 years old...I didn't start growing facial hair until I was 18...I was a kid in junior high...the best three players on my team were already men.

Well aware of all the stuff like this, been coaching sports for the last 30 years. We have a very athletic group of kids that starting to play better due to what we are teaching them, getting them to use it properly as they grow is the challenge.

ROYC75
06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
and it absolutely cracks me up when I attend 5th-7th grade games and see parents yelling or coaches screaming etc. etc. etc.

That doesn't belong one bit in that age group...not at all.

Winning doesn't mean A THING until high school...

Parents ? I agree ...... Most do not know what the coaches are instructing them to do .

As a coach, I'll disagree with you. I'll yank a kid out and stick him on the bench in a heartbeat if I see him dogging it on my team. I caught my grandson dogging it for about 5 or 6 plays in a row today in our 1st game....... rode his butt all the way from the half court to the end of the bench. Told him if he didn't want to play I would find somebody that is going to give me 100 %.

5 minutes later he went back in and played like a possessed man in a kids body. None of the 11 kids I carry on the team have a problem with the way I or my assistant coaches coach. They all want them to get better, which is what they are doing.

Hootie
06-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Well aware of all the stuff like this, been coaching sports for the last 30 years. We have a very athletic group of kids that starting to play better due to what we are teaching them, getting them to use it properly as they grow is the challenge.

That's cool...wish our junior high coaches were more like you then...

We were 12 deep in our class...we had 12 really talented, really gifted athletes...most talented class in our school probably ever.

And everyone knew that...yet they still put all of their focus into the 2 superfreaks of the class...

Hootie
06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Parents ? I agree ...... Most do not know what the coaches are instructing them to do .

As a coach, I'll disagree with you. I'll yank a kid out and stick him on the bench in a heartbeat if I see him dogging it on my team. I caught my grandson dogging it for about 5 or 6 plays in a row today in our 1st game....... rode his butt all the way from the half court to the end of the bench. Told him if he didn't want to play I would find somebody that is going to give me 100 %.

5 minutes later he went back in and played like a possessed man in a kids body. None of the 11 kids I carry on the team have a problem with the way I or my assistant coaches coach. They all want them to get better, which is what they are doing.

I'm just saying...

It shouldn't be STRICTLY about wins or losses until high school.

Everyone on the team should get a good amount of playing time every game...it sickens me to watch a 7th grade game (my half-brother is 13) and see 4 or 5 kids never get in the game...

Really?

That stuff makes me sick. Not good enough in high school? Yeah, I get it...either work your ass off to improve or maybe you're just not good enough.

But in 7th grade? In 7th grade...there should be no such thing as a benchwarmer.

ROYC75
06-21-2010, 12:11 AM
That's cool...wish our junior high coaches were more like you then...

We were 12 deep in our class...we had 12 really talented, really gifted athletes...most talented class in our school probably ever.

And everyone knew that...yet they still put all of their focus into the 2 superfreaks of the class...

I tell my kids, I don't want to hear how good you think you are, how good your parents think you are, how much money you get for every point you make, etc. We play ball my way, TEAM, it takes 10 hands to make a basket and I rotate my bench early and often. As we yank them out, the assistants are instructing them why they are out and how to correct the problem.

We break our kids up into sections each day of practice and work on individual drills, rotate them every 10 minutes and their isn't a day go by we don't spend at least half the practices on fundamentals.

Hootie
06-21-2010, 12:14 AM
sounds like you have it down then, good for you

ROYC75
06-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm just saying...

It shouldn't be STRICTLY about wins or losses until high school.

Everyone on the team should get a good amount of playing time every game...it sickens me to watch a 7th grade game (my half-brother is 13) and see 4 or 5 kids never get in the game...

Really?

That stuff makes me sick. Not good enough in high school? Yeah, I get it...either work your ass off to improve or maybe you're just not good enough.

But in 7th grade? In 7th grade...there should be no such thing as a benchwarmer.

That's not my team, we lost a 2 players to baseball for the summer but were still good enough to compete in a National Tournament this weekend. The 2 players are talented, could we have done better,maybe, all 8 teams left were good, but as I said, about the same. It comes down to executes and who doesn't in the game.

If you are good enough to make my team, you play to get better, Our practices are just as fast and hard as our games..... it's the only way to stay sharp and preach to them you have to go full throttle all game long.

Old Dog
06-21-2010, 07:25 AM
His work ethic is solid, he'll try to talk his way out of it at times, I just remind him of his promise to me and what his dream is.

Yet you say it's what HE wants.....are you sure you're not attempting to pursue YOUR dream by using him as a tool.
Maybe not, but a lot of what you're writing certainly reads like it.

Hailchief
06-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Yet you say it's what HE wants.....are you sure you're not attempting to pursue YOUR dream by using him as a tool.

My thoughts exactly!!

ChiTown
06-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Agreed. I coach MAYB tournaments all the time. Parents and Coaches are awful at these things. The kids generally get burned out because their Parents and Coaches put so much pressure on them to be something they don't want to or can't ever be. By the time they get to HS, many of these kids lose interest and quit.

The key is to keep it fun. You focus on improving some part of your game every day. Talking about pro aspirations and feeding that to a child is ridiculous. Do my kids talk about that stuff? Sure, all kids do. But, I don't mix a potion of BS and Fantasy to feed to them either.

ROYC75
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM

I know what you are saying. No, It's not my dream, it's his. We sit and talk a lot, he tells me all the time what he wants. I just keep him to his promise , he came to me and asked what it would take to get there. I told him, he said, I want it, I want you to get me there. I told him I can only do so much, it's up to him.

He wasn't taking me serious about his scoliosis..... here it is a year later and it's little worst, he knows he has to work hard now, I've seen a serious side of him since that day.He reads a lot on other pro players, how they got to where they are and what it takes to get there.

Our kids go hard in practices but they get to have a lot of fun. Many kids do like to play multiple sports, which I have no problem with. They are at an age where most of them do not really know what they want to do.

ROYC75
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Agreed. I coach MAYB tournaments all the time. Parents and Coaches are awful at these things. The kids generally get burned out because their Parents and Coaches put so much pressure on them to be something they don't want to or can't ever be. By the time they get to HS, many of these kids lose interest and quit.

The key is to keep it fun. You focus on improving some part of your game every day. Talking about pro aspirations and feeding that to a child is ridiculous. Do my kids talk about that stuff? Sure, all kids do. But, I don't mix a potion of BS and Fantasy to feed to them either.

Then as a coach you already know this, the time to learn fundamentals is now. The time to see who has the heart to play is now. If a kid wants to just play for the sake of playing, sandlot, then find a sandlot game and play.

Our program here was set up to make basketball players out of the kids who really want to play basketball & win. Trying to teach a kid fundamentals in HS is not getting the most from your kids. It helps us weed out the kids with no heart, no passion for the game and separates that kid with an attitude on the HS level, we already know what he is capable of doing and can continue to work with the ones that really want it.

I never fill kids heads up with the notion they are great, or that they are going somewhere. Nothing comes free, but through a lot of hard work, many things are possible.

But the parents wanting their kids to be something should just stay at home, it's up to the kids.Most parents are just fans, not all of them are coaches. Just like a horse, you can lead him to water but you can't get him to drink, say as a kid in sports, they have to want it.

Fish
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
KY Magic? Isn't that the stuff that comes in his and hers flavors? And it tingles and all?

Pioli Zombie
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I saw the thread title and I thought it was a preview from Morgan Freemans new book on how to find a soulmate.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
the KY Magic, huh?

Yikes on that name.

LMAO He tried to tell the Orgasms not to sleep on the Double Long Dongs, but lo and behold, they lost to them in the champeenship.