PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto AC

cookster50
06-23-2010, 07:17 AM
So, got home yesterday to a 85 degree home. Furnace fan was blowing, but the ac unit wasn't on. Turned off the thermostat, flipped the breaker for the ac, turned the thermostat back on, ac works, woohoo. However, I wake up this morning to the same thing(though not 85). Furnace fan was running but the ac wasn't on. Did the breaker routine again and ac worked again. So, I'm guessing when I get home tonight it will be hot again with the ac not running. Any ideas on what the problem is?

bevischief
06-23-2010, 07:18 AM
It wants you to play more AC/DC...

C-Mac
06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Breakers actually can break down and become weak, therefore tripping easier. Might trade them out for the dryer or oven circuit breakers and see if that works.
If not then your compressor is drawing too much current to run...which is not so good.

cookster50
06-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Hmm, maybe I'll stop by the hardware store tonight and get a new breaker to test that out. They are cheap enough......

boogblaster
06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Could be your circut-board in the unit .. because when you rebreak it resets your ac ... could also be in the wiring running from your board to your outside unit .. or your board should have a inline fuse that might be bad ....

Sofa King
06-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Did you check the Antifreeze level?

boogblaster
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Also if your outside unit is dirty its drawing to much electric which is shutting you down .. turn off your breaker and wash out your unit with garden hose .. it also could need re-charged ....

Alton deFlat
06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Is the breaker tripped, or are you just turning it off and back on? If it's just off and on, you're probably reseting a safety device on the outdoor unit. If it's as hot there, as it is where I live, you may be shutting off on high pressure due to a dirty condenser coil... as someone mentioned. Take a garden hose, and give the coil a good bath. Just be careful not to use too much water pressure, that you bend the aluminum fins over.

cookster50
06-23-2010, 10:29 AM
The breaker is not tripped. Also, about a month or two ago I had the unit serviced. I wasn't home to talk to the guy, the wife claims a compressor was changed, I think it was a capacitor or something because it didn't cost too much. It was cleaned at that time and it hasn't gotten dirty since then.