PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Fishing team denied $1-million prize because crew member had no fishing license

Deberg_1990
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
OUCH

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/18199/angler+makes+1-million+mistake+in+north+carolina+marlin+tournament/

If a person gets caught fishing without a license, in most cases, it results in a fine of perhaps a few hundred dollars.

For those aboard Citation, however, the infraction represents a setback of nearly $1 million.

The vessel's anglers had been participating in the 52nd annual Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament, June 11-19 off North Carolina. Andy Thomossan landed what was by far the biggest fish: an 883-pound marlin, a tournament record.

The team on Saturday was declared winner of the prestigious competition, and there was plenty of celebration.

However, there also was a post-event lie-detector test, after which it was revealed that one of the hired crew did not possess a valid fishing license, available in North Carolina for only $15, or $30 for non-residents.

That was a violation of tournament rules and after lengthy deliberation, according to Evans Kistler of the Carteret County News-Times, tournament officials late Tuesday disqualified the catch and and denied the Citation team the winning purse.

End of celebration.

"No record. No money. No fish. No nothing. Yep, it's a nice ending to the story isn't it?" Thomossan told the Jacksonville Daily News. "He failed to get a fishing license, but we didn't know it. He told us he had it. He didn't. So you take a man at his word, you know?"

That man is Peter Wann. According to the state's fisheries division, he went out and bought a license after the catch of the monster marlin, bringing more shame to his team. He'll be fined $35 and ordered to pay court costs totaling $125.

The new winners are those who fished aboard the vessel Carnivore and caught the second-largest marlin, weighing 528.3 pounds. They net a grand total of $999,453.

Michael Topp, one of Citation's owners, figured the tournament board would not rule in Citation's favor.

"I think the Big Rock committee is doing what they have to do," he said. "I understand that. I'm a retired colonel. I know about rules."

The Franchise
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't you be required to show your fishing license before you can even fish in the tournament? WTF?!

Sofa King
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't you be required to show your fishing license before you can even fish in the tournament? WTF?!

no kidding... It's that way with every tourney i've ever done.... hunting OR fishing...

rambleonthruthefog
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
what an asshole!

CoMoChief
06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
My god I would be so pissed if I were one of the other crew members

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd take that mother fucker fishin one more time!

seclark
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

according to the op, the guy was a member of the hired crew. was he even fishing?

i don't have a clue...know nothing about blue marlin fishing tourneys.
sec

rambleonthruthefog
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd take that mother ****er fishin one more time!

my exact thoughts.

Fish
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Nuthooks?

morphius
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but damn, that would be tough.

Pants
06-23-2010, 04:29 PM
:shake:

Duck Dog
06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I have guided enough hunters over the years to know you never take anyones word on being legal, you check them before the warden does.