PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Gearhead help...

RockChalk
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok gearheads! I need some help from you auto experts out there, please.

A few days ago, my engine started "sputtering" when I'm idling, either in Drive or Park. It's not a violent sputter and it doesn't feel like it's going to die, but it's enough to notice. It's just not normal. I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 78K miles on it. Routine oil changes/maintenance/etc (I take good care of it).

It runs just fine while driving and isn't make any weird noises or out of the ordinary things. My first thought is that I got some bad fuel. I filled an empty tank up on Sunday evening and the "sputtering" began Monday.

Any help/ideas/suggestion would be appreciated. I know it's not an antifreeze issue :cuss:

ModSocks
06-23-2010, 04:57 PM
check your plugs and plug wires.

RockChalk
06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
check your plugs and plug wires.

Never changed my plugs before on this truck. What kind of use life do they have? Just out of curiosity

booger
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

ModSocks
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Never changed my plugs before on this truck. What kind of use life do they have? Just out of curiosity

Depends on the plug. Some last 45K, some last 100K.

The plug may not even need replacing. Check to see if there is any corrosion around the coil pack or plugs. You might even just have a loose plug wire.

Do you feel the car misfiring or "Putt-Putting" on the freeway ever?

cardken
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Had the same symptoms on my 2002 Buick last month, initially thought it was a fuel pump problem, turns out the Spark Plugs had never been changed from the originals 120, 000 miles? New plugs humms like new, try this.

ModSocks
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Had the same symptoms on my 2002 Buick last month, initially thought it was a fuel pump problem, turns out the Spark Plugs had never been changed from the originals 120, 000 miles? New plugs humms like new, try this.

Im pretty sure that's what it is. Common problem. He should also change his plug wires while he's at it; just in case.

EWOK
06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Check for a vacuum leak or a possible Idle air control valve. You didn't say if their was a check engine light on but have someone check for codes and data

RockChalk
06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
No check engine light on or any other notices. Everything runs just fine on when I'm driving. Only sputters a bit when stopped or in park.

I will start with the plugs.

Thanks guys!

bevischief
06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
When was the last time you added sugar to the tank?

joking.

Fish
06-23-2010, 05:57 PM
If it's not the plugs or wires, it could possibly be the ignition coil. If you have a meter, you can run it across the spark plug pairings on the ignition coil. I've seen an ignition coil go out and make it look like bad plugs and wires. Easy test and cheaper than replacing plugs and wires when they might not need it.

http://www.international-auto.com/afla-romeo-electrical-system/alfa-romeo-how-to-test-an-ignition-coil.cfm

SAUTO
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
usually a spark issue comes under load. if you filled up and it started immediately after i would think you got some bad gas. add some heet and change your fuel filter first. it will most likely be cheaper than plugs and wires ( and with 78 k its probably due anyways) you can always change the plugs later of the problem stays, but they should be platinum.

a good way to check an ignition miss is to wait until it goes into overdrive and try to accelerate up a grade. dont push the pedal enough to kick down the trans. lik 40-50 mph and kinda lug the engine. if its gonna miss its gonna miss then
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
you could also go out and put it in drive and power brake it to the point where the wheels are just about to break loose and see if the miss intensifies
Posted via Mobile Device

C-Mac
06-23-2010, 10:20 PM
With all the crappy gas around I would lean on the gas/plugs as possible suspect, but some gas cleaner like Heet cant hurt to try first.
Doubt its a plug wire but you can easily check for a bad plug wire at night or in a blacked out garage.
Bad plug wires are also picked up on AM radio as you rev up the motor.

Silock
06-23-2010, 11:16 PM
when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

My first thought.

googlegoogle
06-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Why can't cars diagnose their own f*^%% problems by now.

Lumpy
06-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Why can't cars diagnose their own f*^%% problems by now.

Newer models can, actually. You can pull codes from turning the ignition on and off a few times. The code shows up on your odometer.

In RockChalks case though, I'm sure he's just low on blinker fluid. :D

KCHawg
06-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Newer models can, actually. You can pull codes from turning the ignition on and off a few times. The code shows up on your odometer.

In RockChalks case though, I'm sure he's just low on blinker fluid. :D

He has a 2006, it doesn't use blinker fluid..........however, he should check his halogen fluid just in case.:thumb: Oh, and a worn muffler bearing will sometimes sound like a miss at idle!

El Jefe
06-24-2010, 07:09 AM
usually a spark issue comes under load. if you filled up and it started immediately after i would think you got some bad gas. add some heet and change your fuel filter first. it will most likely be cheaper than plugs and wires ( and with 78 k its probably due anyways) you can always change the plugs later of the problem stays, but they should be platinum.

a good way to check an ignition miss is to wait until it goes into overdrive and try to accelerate up a grade. dont push the pedal enough to kick down the trans. lik 40-50 mph and kinda lug the engine. if its gonna miss its gonna miss then
Posted via Mobile Device

True.

Hydrae
06-24-2010, 07:30 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

When you say ignition miss, are you talking the plugs generally or something more coil related? I recently purchased a 2004 Taurus and it runs beautifully except if I try to accelerate at speeds above 30 MPH. Actually, this only seems to happen if I have decelerated (like in traffic) and then try to get back up to speed. I have been thinking vaccuum as it feels like it is fighting with itself and I suspect it can not decide whether it needs to downshift. Either way it is going to the doctor on payday. :)

RockChalk
06-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Oh, and a worn muffler bearing will sometimes sound like a miss at idle!

I'm not hearing a miss. Everything sounds perfectly normal. I'm feeling the "sputtering". It's not terrible but it is definitely not right.

I'm going to start with the fuel cleaner and change out the filter. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the spark plugs/wires

Again, that's to everyone for their insight :thumb:

SAUTO
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
When you say ignition miss, are you talking the plugs generally or something more coil related? I recently purchased a 2004 Taurus and it runs beautifully except if I try to accelerate at speeds above 30 MPH. Actually, this only seems to happen if I have decelerated (like in traffic) and then try to get back up to speed. I have been thinking vaccuum as it feels like it is fighting with itself and I suspect it can not decide whether it needs to downshift. Either way it is going to the doctor on payday. :)

i'll defer to kcchiefsfangojc on this one but i would suspect that the OD is not kicking out. try disengaging it next time. tap the brakes slightly and see if it continues

SAUTO
06-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm not hearing a miss. Everything sounds perfectly normal. I'm feeling the "sputtering". It's not terrible but it is definitely not right.

I'm going to start with the fuel cleaner and change out the filter. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the spark plugs/wires

Again, that's to everyone for their insight :thumb:

that was a joke post

Hydrae
06-24-2010, 08:47 AM
i'll defer to kcchiefsfangojc on this one but i would suspect that the OD is not kicking out. try disengaging it next time. tap the brakes slightly and see if it continues

Will do, thanks.

El Jefe
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Well not much to defer to brother, you hit the head on the nail. When driving at a steady speed in OD you can take your left foot and tap the break which will disengage the torque converter. This would be my suggestion as well. Hydrae you can PM me if you want, and I can try to assist you with anything transmission related I can. Outside of transmissions, transfer cases, diffs, 4x4, and some custom work, I really don't know an extensive amount, Jasonsauto does though. But holler at me, and I will help as much as I can.

ModSocks
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Well not much to defer to brother, you hit the head on the nail. When driving at a steady speed in OD you can take your left foot and tap the break which will disengage the torque converter. This would be my suggestion as well. Hydrae you can PM me if you want, and I can try to assist you with anything transmission related I can. Outside of transmissions, transfer cases, diffs, 4x4, and some custom work, I really don't know an extensive amount, Jasonsauto does though. But holler at me, and I will help as much as I can.

Funny story...kinda...not really....but a it's a story.

About 3 weeks ago I felt my trans started slipping. I got the "oh fuck me" sensation. As i pulled up to work, the Check engine light came on. I ran the OBDII and sure enough, the check engine light was because the trans was slipping.

I was preparing myself mentally for a 2500-3K trans job when I decided to check for......

Yep...you guessed it.....Was just low on trans fluid.....pheeewww....!

El Jefe
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=kcchiefsfanGoJC;6840574]

Funny story...kinda...not really....but a it's a story.

About 3 weeks ago I felt my trans started slipping. I got the "oh **** me" sensation. As i pulled up to work, the Check engine light came on. I ran the OBDII and sure enough, the check engine light was because the trans was slipping.

I was preparing myself mentally for a 2500-3K trans job when I decided to check for......

Yep...you guessed it.....Was just low on trans fluid.....pheeewww....!

You want to hear a more hilarious story? Traded in my 08 Charger for a 2000 Buick to save some money in the long run. Have had the car less than a month, and the torque converter is chattering so bad it will rattle your teeth out, added ISF to no avail, will have to pull the trans and TDI it. Power steering has been really awful, come in this morning to see the power steering rack gushing fluid. Front brakes squealing to beat the band. I can just see Satan lol'ing at me as he says "So you want to save some money do you, how do you like these apples".