PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Pulled pork on the smoker....talk to me

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 08:14 AM
We're heading to the lakes for the 4th and I'm thinking of making pulled pork to take. I'll cook it ahead of time and then heat it up in a crock.

I've made just about everything on my smoker but will admit pulled pork isn't one of them.

So I'm curious what cut of pork is best for this and any techniques that you'd like to share.

For example, when I smoke baby backs I finish them up wrapped in foil to tenderize. Is there anything special you do with larger pieces of pork?

kepp
06-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Mmmmmm...sounds good. Sorry, that's all I have to add.

booyaf2
06-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Pulled pork is one of the easiest and most forgiving pieces of meat you can smoke. Any pork shoulder or boston butt will work for pulled pork. Smoke to an internal temp of 195-205, let rest an hour in foil, then pull. What type of smoker are you using?

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Pulled pork is one of the easiest and most forgiving pieces of meat you can smoke. Any pork shoulder or boston butt will work for pulled pork. Smoke to an internal temp of 195-205, let rest an hour in foil, then pull. What type of smoker are you using?

I have a bullet type electric smoker. I'll probably use pecan.

Phobia
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
It's going to take a long time. Feel free to inject it with some fruit juice.

Put a catch pan in there because you're going to be losing a lot of delicious juice that would really make a pan of beans taste delicious.

boogblaster
06-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Yea you should add some kind of moisture in the foil too ... sweet wine mixed with any good grill seasoning ....

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I like the injection ideas.

Are there any notable differences between a shoulder and butt?
(worded that way just to keep the thread alive)

donkhater
06-25-2010, 09:01 AM

Patience. That's all I'll say. Unlike ribs, which can stand to be cooked at a little higher temps and come out OK (at least in my experience), pulled pork really should really be cooked around 225-250, no higher. The meat will reach a temp of about 180, then stop rising. Do not take it off at this point. It can stay at that temp for 2-3 hours, then gradually it will rise up to the 195-200 range. It will be soft to the touch at that point, like the meat just melted.

The reason why the temp pauses at the 180 mark is that the connective tissue in the meat has a high heat capacitance. In other words, at that temp, the connective tissue begins to break down so all the heat goes towards melting the connective tissue instead of cooking the meat. Let it. Once the meat temp starts to creep into the 190-200 range you are done. Simple touch test will tell you. Likely you will have trouble getting off the smoker it will fall apart so easily. Definately let it cool. For one thing, the meat needs to rest to re-absorb juices, but pulling hot meat is not fun. Let it rest nearly an hour IMO.

donkhater
06-25-2010, 09:03 AM

I don't know why, but I prefer the butt, to the shoulder. Seems there is more meat per pound.

Phobia
06-25-2010, 09:05 AM

But is generally bone in and a tad more fatty so it's more forgiving. All things the same, I'd be smoking the boston butt. If the butt is a lot more expensive than shoulder, buy shoulder. You probably won't be able to tell the difference after it is pulled anyway.

donkhater
06-25-2010, 09:05 AM
FYI, I've done 2-5 lb butts on a Webber smoker and I let them stay on there ~15 hrs. It was awesome. Didn't even have to add charcoal and it got down to the 30's overnight.

Bill Lundberg
06-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I have a bullet type electric smoker. I'll probably use pecan.

Echoing Phobia's comments - It's going to take a very long time. I have a similar smoker and it can take up to 20 hours "if your butt is big enough".

booyaf2
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a primo xl charcoal smoker. The last one i did was roughly 11 lbs, and it took 22 hours at 220 degrees. no two butts are the same.

MOhillbilly
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
get her up to internal 175-185. i like mine well done, pulls easier.

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Awesome feedback guys.

I've done turkeys that take over 12 hours and had no idea a butt or shoulder would take that long.

Do people just inject it once or periodically during the smoking process?

booyaf2
06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm not big on injecting, it won't add flavor to the finish product, but it may speed up the cooking process. You'll end up with most of your injection in the bowl/pan that the butt is sitting in while injecting. Lather the butt in yellow mustard, then coat with a bbq rub of your choice, let it marinate like that for a few hours or overnight, then on the smoker.

MOhillbilly
06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Mop it with 2 parts cider vinegar 1 part cooking oil. this will help it cook evenly and keep the meat moist. dont be shy with it.

cdcox
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
A whole shoulder has two parts: a picnic and a Boston butt. The picnic is usually larger, and is mostly white meat. The butt is smaller and has more dark (reddish) colored meat. I can definitely tell the difference after they have been cooked and strongly prefer the butt. Go for one in the 8 lb range.

Phobia
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm not big on injecting, it won't add flavor to the finish product, but it may speed up the cooking process. You'll end up with most of your injection in the bowl/pan that the butt is sitting in while injecting. Lather the butt in yellow mustard, then coat with a bbq rub of your choice, let it marinate like that for a few hours or overnight, then on the smoker.

I think your points are valid. I don't always inject but I think it adds to the texture and flavor - not significantly. I could take it or leave it. I'm not married to the technique.

Fish
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm a butt man....

Wait, that didn't sound right...

Phobia
06-25-2010, 09:42 AM
A whole shoulder has two parts: a picnic and a Boston butt. The picnic is usually larger, and is mostly white meat. The butt is smaller and has more dark (reddish) colored meat. I can definitely tell the difference after they have been cooked and strongly prefer the butt. Go for one in the 8 lb range.

I almost always sauce my pulled pork. I can't tell a huge difference after the saucing but you can definitely tell beforehand or if you eat it naked.

CoMoChief
06-25-2010, 10:00 AM
MAKE SURE TO USE A-1 !!!!!!!

A-1 is a favorite around here on CP.

Groves
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Just so everyone is clear...

A boston butt IS from the pork shoulder.

Bill Lundberg
06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
This thread has inspired me to do a butt this weekend.

gblowfish
06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Today at Hy-Vee:
Pork spare ribs, $1.00 lb.
About $5.50 for a big slab.

Rib o Rama!

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Pork is overrated ! Get some ribeyes instead.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
This thread has inspired me to do a butt this weekend.

Ditto.

And If I can talk the wife into some BBQ I'll be golden!:)

BIG_DADDY
06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Great thread. Thanks for all the information guys.

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Just got off the phone with the buddy whose cabin we're going to. He was supposed to do be doing a brisket and I had been trying to get him to tell me what meal we're responsible for.

So I say since you won't make up your mind which meal we have I'm doing pulled pork. He said no you're not and that he had changed his mind and decided to do PP.

We went through the entire "there isn't enough beer in the world to choke down your stuff that comes out of your smoker" to "you're going to kill somebody with the crap you cook" dialogue.

So I need some new ideas. Thoughts?

Groves
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
So I need some new ideas. Thoughts?

New friends?

ArrowheadHawk
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Just got off the phone with the buddy whose cabin we're going to. He was supposed to do be doing a brisket and I had been trying to get him to tell me what meal we're responsible for.

So I say since you won't make up your mind which meal we have I'm doing pulled pork. He said no you're not and that he had changed his mind and decided to do PP.

We went through the entire "there isn't enough beer in the world to choke down your stuff that comes out of your smoker" to "you're going to kill somebody with the crap you cook" dialogue.

So I need some new ideas. Thoughts?How bout a brisket?

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 01:34 PM
How bout a brisket?

Heh, yeah that's what the wife wants me to do. Thinking about it.

listopencil
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
"Pulled pork on the smoker"

Is that code?

go bo
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
how 'bout ribs on a gas grill?

my first attempt ever...

go bo
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Heh, yeah that's what the wife wants me to do. Thinking about it.thinking is good...

Bill Lundberg
06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Heh, yeah that's what the wife wants me to do. Thinking about it.

Here's a good marinade I use for brisket. I usually soak it in this overnight, then put a dry rub on after that for about 4 hours before it goes in the smoker. I've never had any complaints.

4 ounces Guinness Stout Beer at room temperature
2 garlic cloves
1 ounce soy sauce
1 tablespoon Vidalia onion
1 teaspoon shallots
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon fresh tarragon
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Finely chop garlic, shallot and onion and place in a small bowl. Finely chop parsley and tarragon and add to the bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, Guinness beer, soy sauce and seasonings then mix well to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Once you have finished marinating, place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan and reduce it for one or two minutes until slightly thickened. Add more beer to the marinade at this stage if desired.

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 08:56 PM
how 'bout ribs on a gas grill?

my first attempt ever...

That's a whole n'ther can of worms.

mlyonsd
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Here's a good marinade I use for brisket. I usually soak it in this overnight, then put a dry rub on after that for about 4 hours before it goes in the smoker. I've never had any complaints.

How many pounds of brisket is that marinade good for? I have to feed 14-16.

Phobia
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I thought I was pulling a massive brisket out of my freezer. It was two big butts. Guess I'll be doing pulled pork tomorrow too.

Bill Lundberg
06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
How many pounds of brisket is that marinade good for? I have to feed 14-16.

5-7

mlyonsd
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought I was pulling a massive brisket out of my freezer. It was two big butts. Guess I'll be doing pulled pork tomorrow too.

Smoking some butt and watching soccer.

Bet you've never said that before.