PDA

View Full Version : Misc Star Wars Question

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-25-2010, 10:30 AM
If someone has never seen any of the six Star Wars movies and decided to watch them, would they go through them chronologically or numerically I-VI?

I went to see the first one at the theater in 1977. It was a daytime showing and I was working third shift. I went to sleep and didn't see the whole thing.

My son is starting to get into Star Wars, and I'm going to try and keep up.

Enlighten me, GoChiefs.

Dinny

Bugeater
06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Just buy him a DVD of IV and pretend like the other ones don't exist.

CoMoChief
06-25-2010, 10:35 AM
4 5 and 6 are good.

Sadly though, 1 2 and 3 are all crap.

Sofa King
06-25-2010, 10:36 AM
4 5 and 6 are good.

Sadly though, 1 2 and 3 are all crap.

1 made me want to kill that stupid f-ing kid....

seclark
06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
the best one is where han solo carries that bullwhip and eats the monkey brains.
sec

Rausch
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Just buy him a DVD of IV and pretend like the other ones don't exist.

This.

THe first (now last) 3 are by far the best.

Don't sit there for days explaining to your kid how Lucas feels all democracies are doomed and end up in dictatorships.

A lecture he doesn't care about.

You can, but the last 3 flicks become very....void of content and heavy on the preachy and dark aspects of life...

ChiefJustice
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Star Wars,Empire,Jedi....

Then let him see the others after that

Rausch
06-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Ditto...

Rain Man
06-25-2010, 10:46 AM

You mean, "Then don't let him see the others after that", right?

bevischief
06-25-2010, 10:50 AM

If he still wants more have him watch the cartoon series that covers the clone wars instead of the last 3 movies made...

ChiefJustice
06-25-2010, 10:52 AM
You mean, "Then don't let him see the others after that", right?

Yeah,don't let him watch the first 3 for 20 years...he will appreciate them more that way.:thumb:

blaise
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I would watch them as Episodes 1-6. If you watch them in order of release you'll end up with a bad taste in your mouth. It would be like having a great appetizer, a good main course and then a turd for desert. At least if you watch them in episodic order you can purge the horror of Episodes 1-3 from your mind.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah,don't let him watch the first 3 for 20 years...he will appreciate them more that way.:thumb:

LMAO

Rain Man
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I would watch them as Episodes 1-6. If you watch them in order of release you'll end up with a bad taste in your mouth. It would be like having a great appetizer, a good main course and then a turd for desert. At least if you watch them in episodic order you can purge the horror of Episodes 1-3 from your mind.

I don't think he would make it to 4, though. No one in their right mind would keep watching.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I would watch them as Episodes 1-6. If you watch them in order of release you'll end up with a bad taste in your mouth. It would be like having a great appetizer, a good main course and then a turd for desert.

That's EXACTLY why you don't show him the last (true first) flicks right off the bat.

It's like telling the kid the greatest hope for a GALAXY only got wise after he was fucking hooked up to machines, burned in fire, damned near killed his wife in a domestic violence dispute gone horribly jedi wrong, and once his son was busy being fucking ELECTROCUTED by the creepy pedo from the Family Guy he figured it MIGHT be a good gawdamned time to grow a pair and get some fucking morals.

THEN THE FUCKING GOOD GUY (meaning EVIL FUCK FOR 3 MOVIES) finally ends the Empire.

Take him out for icecream and get him a fish tank...

kysirsoze
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM

I don't know how old the kid is, but more sophisticated special effects may catch his eye more than the superior story, characters, acting, direction, pacing, editing, etc.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know how old the kid is, but more sophisticated special effects may catch his eye more than the superior story, characters, acting, direction, pacing, editing, etc.

Yeah.

THAT and watching the HERO of the whole (new) series turn whiner and then completely dead inside is probably a life lesson he should learn now...

kysirsoze
06-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah.

THAT and watching the HERO of the whole (new) series turn whiner and then completely dead inside is probably a life lesson he should learn now...

LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
My wife and I actually started watching them last week - we started 1-6. We're at IV now, and I have to say it actually works better if you watch original trilogy, then prequels (quality, notwithstanding).

ModSocks
06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Ima have to disagree with everyone here. Yes, I agree that 1-3 are crap, 3 being complete garbage.

But young kids are going to be much more impressed with the special effects than the story line. Let him watch the first 3 first. He'll probably get into it with the pod races and pretty light saber fights and cool spaceships and robots and blah blah fucking blah.

At that point, he should be involved enough in the story to be able to ignore the old special effects and 70's haircuts to truley enjoy the last 3.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
4-6, then 1-3 as an afterthought.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Ima have to disagree with everyone here. Yes, I agree that 1-3 are crap, 3 being complete garbage.

But young kids are going to be much more impressed with the special effects than the story line. Let him watch the first 3 first. He'll probably get into it with the pod races and pretty light saber fights and cool spaceships and robots and blah blah fucking blah.

At that point, he should be involved enough in the story to be able to ignore the old special effects and 70's haircuts to truley enjoy the last 3.

Wait a minute. I second this.

kysirsoze
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM

But young kids are going to be much more impressed with the special effects than the story line. Let him watch the first 3 first. He'll probably get into it with the pod races and pretty light saber fights and cool spaceships and robots and blah blah ****ing blah.

This post does not disagree with mine!!! WEREN'T YOU LISTENING!!!!????!

ModSocks
06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
4-6, then 1-3 as an afterthought.

1-3, then 4-6. You dont start with Sex and then finish with Foreplay. You start with Foreplay and then finish with Sex. And then Ice Cream....and a cigg if you smoke.

kysirsoze
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
1-3, then 4-6. You dont start with Sex and then finish with Foreplay. You start with Foreplay and then finish with Sex. And then Ice Cream....and a cigg if you smoke.

You could watch 4-6 and then light 1-3 on fire. :shrug:

alpha_omega
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Try Star Trek instead.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Try Star Trek instead.

:facepalm:

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Can't say as I disagree...

kysirsoze
06-25-2010, 11:29 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jvap3iLpUY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jvap3iLpUY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Donger
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
IV, V and then VI. If you want to introduce him to Natalie, I guess then I, II and III.

alpha_omega
06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
:facepalm:

Sometimes humor gets lost on the interweb.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Sometimes humor gets lost on the interweb.

My meter is broken. Going in for repairs now. Thx.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
IV, V and then VI. If you want to introduce him to Natalie, I guess then I, II and III.

Exactly.

And if you want to introduce him to Natalie do so with something like...eh...Garden State...

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd like to introduce something to Natalie.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd like to introduce something to Natalie.

Get in line...

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Get in line...

I don't have time to stand in a line that fucking long, sir.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't have time to stand in a line that ****ing long, sir.

I'll put in for a vacation day...

ModSocks
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll put in for a vacation day...

Im not sure I'd want it after the Wookie's got through with her. What a mess.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Im not sure I'd want it after the Wookie's got through with her. What a mess.

I done breeded with worse...

listopencil
06-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Here's some Portman to wash off the stench of the sequels.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8e6-IeQ0aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8e6-IeQ0aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd do it I-VI just to see how they react...

bowener
07-03-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/meh.ro7783.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-03-2011, 08:51 PM
If someone has never seen any of the six Star Wars movies and decided to watch them, would they go through them chronologically or numerically I-VI?

Not watching any of them has always worked for me... and luckily my daughter doesn't care either heh.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
The prequels are dead to me

IV V VI

DeezNutz
07-03-2011, 08:55 PM
V is masterful. Do whatever it takes not to fuck that experience up for the lad.

RealSNR
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
The solution is simple, people.

Have him watch 4-6.

Then 1-3

Then after that watch 4-6 AGAIN. He'll get the taste of 1-3 out of his mouth and this way he can adeptly pay attention to the ins and outs of a death star, and debate if the Enterprise/Borg/Klingons could join forces and take it down

RealSNR
07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
V is masterful. Do whatever it takes not to fuck that experience up for the lad.It was on Spike TV today. I caught the Hoth ice war. Still the best battle of the entire series.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
It was on Spike TV today. I caught the Hoth ice war. Still the best battle of the entire series.

Very good, but the final battle vs Death Star II was the best

INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER

TOO LATE

Gadzooks
07-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't believe my 3 year old daughter would have liked "Dark" Vader if she'd watched the Anakin chronicles first. (He would have seemed like some sort of puck ass bitch).

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm watching Return of the Jedi right now on Spike TV. It's clear to me that the Empire should be spending less on equipment and more on training and tactics development.

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I saw IV and V when they came out. I meant to catch VI, but I got busy.

kysirsoze
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm watching Return of the Jedi right now on Spike TV. It's clear to me that the Empire should be spending less on equipment and more on training and tactics development.

I thought it was hilarious that they explained the decline in quality of stormtroopers by saying that each successive generation of clones are a less accurate copy of the original. Basically by the time the original trilogy comes along, the stormtroopers are akin to severely inbred morons.

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I thought it was hilarious that they explained the decline in quality of stormtroopers by saying that each successive generation of clones are a less accurate copy of the original. Basically by the time the original trilogy comes along, the stormtroopers are akin to severely inbred morons.

Seriously? They did that?

Well, that would explain a lot. They're bringing all sorts of technology into this movie and getting their butts kicked by some oversized squirrel with flint weapons. You know the engineers who designed all their weapons have to be throwing a fit.

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I saw IV and V when they came out. I meant to catch VI, but I got busy.

...for the next 25 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I spaced On Jedi at the theater, but read the book before finally seeing it.

Side Note:

Jerjerrod should have been exquisitely crushed and included in the film doing so.

Crush
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM
In my opinion, you are ruining Empire for your kid if you show him I-III first. I agree with DeezNutz and everyone else that has already stated, he needs to see IV-VI first. IV-VI will put his imagination to work. I-III is a CGI-fuck fest that lacks any soul or imagination.

Watching ANH, Empire, and Jedi is a cinematic adventure that needs to be experienced in its rawest purest form.

notorious
07-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Young kids like 1-3. Especially 3.

They could give a fuck less about the quality of 4-6. Empire is a boring shitfest for kids now days. Not enough explosions and CGI to keep their interest.

The future of Sci-Fi is doomed.

RealSNR
07-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Young kids like 1-3. Especially 3.

They could give a fuck less about the quality of 4-6. Empire is a boring shitfest for kids now days. Not enough explosions and CGI to keep their interest.

The future of Sci-Fi is doomed.Just being nitpicky here, but I would call Star Wars more fantasy than sci-fi

notorious
07-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Just being nitpicky here, but I would call Star Wars more fantasy than sci-fi

You are right. It's a little from column A and a little from column B.

But seriously, the last (or first) 3 movies were not that horrific except for the race scene in 1 and Tard-Tard Dinks.

BossChief
07-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I have some Star Wars questions.

1) how did George Lucas write into the script of ROTJ Leia saying she knew what her mother (Padme) looked like being that she dies "when she was very young" and that she was "sad" when Padme died in child birth?

2) If Vadar (Anakin) was so strong with the force and could sense that Luke was his son, how did he not sense that Leia was his daughter when he was right next to her at the beginning of ANH?

3) How does Vadar never acknowledge C3PO in the original movies?

4) Why does Vadar keep saying "Obi Wan has taught you well" in the older movies when ObiWan didnt really teach much of the force to Luke, Yoda did. The only part I remember ObiWan teaching him was basic stuff while on the Falcon in ANH.

5) Did George Lucas even rewatch 4-6 before writing 1-3?

IMO the newer set of SW movies took away from the older set due to missing detail attention.

DeezNutz
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I have some Star Wars questions.

1) how did George Lucas write into the script of ROTJ Leia saying she knew what her mother (Padme) looked like being that she dies "when she was very young" and that she was "sad" when Padme died in child birth?

2) If Vadar (Anakin) was so strong with the force and could sense that Luke was his son, how did he not sense that Leia was his daughter when he was right next to her at the beginning of ANH?

4) Why does Vadar keep saying "Obi Wan has taught you well" in the older movies when ObiWan didnt really teach much of the force to Luke, Yoda did. The only part I remember ObiWan teaching him was basic stuff while on the Falcon in ANH.

5) Did George Lucas even rewatch 4-6 before writing 1-3?

IMO the newer set of SW movies took away from the older set due to missing detail attention.

1.) Eh, women. Guessing and bullshit.

2.) She had no knowledge of the force herself, and thus her force "beaper" was weak at best. And of course Vader was more robot than man, so the force should be less "natural" for him.

3.) Do you acknowledge that "friend" in real life? You know the one.

4.) Because he did teach him stuff? Wow. OK, Matt Cassel, have you ever seen one of the movies? This portion of your post bounced off the crossbar.

5.) I'm going to say "yes."

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2011, 11:48 PM
...for the next 25 years.

Has it been that long? Maybe I can pick it up on VHS.

RealSNR
07-03-2011, 11:51 PM

But seriously, the last (or first) 3 movies were not that horrific except for the race scene in 1 and Tard-Tard Dinks.Nothing wrong with them at all.

Except for the shitty dialogue

And shitty acting in spots

And corny computer-generatory aliens that looked like rape

And the special "anger" effects built into Hayden Christensen's character, complete with eyes literally on fire

And the entire character of General Grievous, including his purpose in the movies, his dumbass coughing hangup and the way he was designed (playing into shitty alien design)

And the kid who played Anakin in the first movie. I know he's a child actor who was given ATROCIOUS dialogue, but he still sucked

And the unwillingness on the part of Lucas to even halfway balance the timing and flow of the movies compared to episodes 4, 5, and 6

Oh, AND the aforementioned pod race shit and Jar Jar Binks

RealSNR
07-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I'll say this much about the gungan characters- I liked Boss Nass. Brian Blessed was PERFECT to play him. A big loud-ass Shakespearean who can do all sorts of weird shit with his voice.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2011, 11:53 PM
They focused on the wrong characters instead of highlighting some of the better actors at times.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Vader didn't sense that Luke was his son.

He knew he was a rebel strong in the force, and then somehow it got out that his last name was Skywalker.

2+2....

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 12:40 AM

He looks just like any other protocol droid.

For all Vader knows Yoda is dead and Obi-Wan did all the teaching.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:52 AM
He looks just like any other protocol droid.

Thank the Maker!

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM

He knew he was a rebel strong in the force, and then somehow it got out that his last name was Skywalker.

2+2....

Captured and tortured a rebel pilot until he got the name.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:55 AM
III - VI.

Demonpenz
07-04-2011, 01:01 AM
my parents couldn't afford a vcr or any of that shit, we had a Record player with a book that played snippits of the 3 movies. It was pretty creepy, then like we finally got a fucking vcr and my mom spends like 30 bucks renting Cacoon over and over. I will never forget 2006

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Captured and tortured a rebel pilot until he got the name.

Is that from a book?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Is that from a book?

Several sources/sites: it's been accepted as folklore but not canon.

notorious
07-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Nothing wrong with them at all.

Except for the shitty dialogue

And shitty acting in spots

And corny computer-generatory aliens that looked like rape

And the special "anger" effects built into Hayden Christensen's character, complete with eyes literally on fire

And the entire character of General Grievous, including his purpose in the movies, his dumbass coughing hangup and the way he was designed (playing into shitty alien design)

And the kid who played Anakin in the first movie. I know he's a child actor who was given ATROCIOUS dialogue, but he still sucked

And the unwillingness on the part of Lucas to even halfway balance the timing and flow of the movies compared to episodes 4, 5, and 6

Oh, AND the aforementioned pod race shit and Jar Jar Binks

Hayden Christiansen, I have repressed all memory of his involvement in these movies.

bowener
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM

But seriously, the last (or first) 3 movies were not that horrific except for the race scene in 1 and Tard-Tard Dinks.

Bullshit. They are horrific piles of shit. Nothing more needs to be said.

BossChief
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM

2+2....

Anakin was supposed to have a bond with the force stronger than anyone, even yoda, and yet he couldnt sense it was his daughter standing right next to him?

Search your feelings, you know that to be weak sauce.

Still may favorite movies of all time though and ones that helped shape parts of me into what I am today (however gay that sounds)

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hayden Christiansen, I have repressed all memory of his involvement in these movies.

He's not a bad actor, just the WRONG actor for the series.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Anakin was supposed to have a bond with the force stronger than anyone, even yoda, and yet he couldnt sense it was his daughter standing right next to him?

Search your feelings, you know that to be weak sauce.

Um, it's not.

Vader has no idea it's his son in the X-Wing at the end of ANH. Hence the line: "The Force is strong with this one."

Then, in Empire: "That is the system, and I am sure Skywalker is with them."

Not too many force sensitive guys named Skywalker running around the galaxy. But Vader had no idea it was his son until he heard the name.

BossChief
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Im saying its weak sauce that the most powerful Jedi ever couldnt tell it was his own daughter standing right next to him.

Also, I wonder why they chose to change Leias last name to hide her, but not Lukes.

Does it say in the books how she came about being hidden in royalty?

Predarat
07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I would go IV, V, VI then the others 1-3, I like SNRs suggestion to then watch IV-VI again after that.

Easy 6
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Everyones responding as an adult, your kid will prolly love Jar-Jar & some of the other corny stuff that us grown kids cant stand.

Let him watch the new ones first so he has the story straight in his head.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Im saying its weak sauce that the most powerful Jedi ever couldnt tell it was his own daughter standing right next to him.

Also, I wonder why they chose to change Leias last name to hide her, but not Lukes.

Well, it was explained at the end of Episode III. She lived with the Organa royal family on Alderaan. Bail (Jimmy Smits) was a senator. She was the Organas' adopted daughter. Alderaan was a prominent world so calling her Skywalker was not a good idea. Clearly she didn't know she was a Skywalker either.

Luke knew he wasn't a Lars because either Obi-Wan or Owen told him about his real father...probably Obi-Wan and then Lars decided, ah the hell with it.

I don't see it as weak sauce. There's nothing about the force that should enable you to sense your own flesh and blood. Only another strong force presence.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:20 PM

After abandoning the mind-probe(torture droid)during her interrogation aboard the Death Star, Vader attempted to read her mind using the force. Instead, he was surprised that all he got was a mental reflection of himself, a mirror so to speak. He could not read her, and he could not figure out why this was the case.

As to Luke, Qui-Gon had instructed either Yoda or Obi-Wan(?)from beyond the nether that Luke would be safest on Tatooine as Vader would never again set foot on the planet to avoid the emotional conflict it would create in him as he set about assuming his new reality as a Lord of the Sith/Darksider.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
As to Luke, Qui-Gon had instructed either Yoda or Obi-Wan(?)from beyond the nether that Luke would be safest on Tatooine as Vader would never again set foot on the planet to avoid the emotional conflict it would create in him as he set about assuming his new reality as a Lord of the Sith/Darksider.

This is from the E3 book right? Still haven't read it. I hear it's awesome.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, it was explained at the end of Episode III. She lived with the Organa royal family on Alderaan. Bail (Jimmy Smits) was a senator. She was the Organas' adopted daughter. Alderaan was a prominent world so calling her Skywalker was not a good idea. Clearly she didn't know she was a Skywalker either.

Luke knew he wasn't a Lars because either Obi-Wan or Owen told him about his real father...probably Obi-Wan and then Lars decided, ah the hell with it.

I don't see it as weak sauce. There's nothing about the force that should enable you to sense your own flesh and blood. Only another strong force presence.

In the book "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader", Vader himself pays a visit to Bail on Alderaan. Baby Leia was present, and Vader could not sense either her true lineage nor any force-sensitivity in her. As it is well known, Vader lost a very great deal of his power due to the injuries sustained on Mustafar.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
This is from the E3 book right? Still haven't read it. I hear it's awesome.

Good Lord man, the book puts everything together SOOOOOO much better than the movie! Had I not read the book prior to my first screening, I would have been VERY disappointed in Epi III.

Jamie
07-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I once read something that made the case that the thing that makes the most sense is to watch the original trilogy up to the point in the beginning of Jedi where Yoda dies, and then watch the prequels as a sort of flashback before finishing Jedi.

Ming the Merciless
07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
V is masterful. Do whatever it takes not to **** that experience up for the lad.

this x 100000000

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Kirshner should have been brought back for Jedi, IMO.