PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Lion Burgers Anyone?

vailpass
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Mesa diners not deterred by questions over source of lion meat
East Valley Tribune
updated 10:16 a.m. MT, Fri., June 25, 2010
The international spotlight is burning even brighter on a Mesa restaurant serving African lion burgers after a revelation that its meat supplier was once convicted of selling federally protected animals.

Il Vinaio ordered 10 pounds of lion meat thats described as farm-raised on the invoice, restaurant owner Cameron Selogie said Thursday while showing the paperwork.

But Selogie said he cannot guarantee the meat is farm-raised and therefore legal after CNNMoney.com raised questions about the meats background.

Im still trying to get clarification on this, Selogie said.

The controversy spawned threats against the restaurant, hundreds of supportive and opposing e-mails, protests and a little levity in the form of a sign at a neighboring business in downtown.

Kirks Sports Grill posted two signs directed at Il Vinaio reading Save a lion. Eat a Veggie Burger.

Selogie took it all in stride Thursday as he broke away from a frenzy of inquiries.

This is by far the most exotic thing we have on the menu, he said. We have no intention of going even further.

He insists he never sought publicity out of what was supposed to be a tie-in with the World Cup taking place in South Africa. He had planned to pair wine with an unusual meat, like he has done with wild boar or rabbit.

Looking at a list from his meat supplier, he spotted hippo, boa constrictor and, of course, the lion.

Hed heard good things about lion and figured the African animal was a natural match to the sporting events location. He selected a South African wine to complement it.

Selogie e-mailed a newsletter of the event to customers, one of whom is an animal rights activist who alerted animal rights groups and news organizations.

Selogie said he was bothered to see a news report about the background of Czimers Game & Sea Foods, an Illinois meat supplier. Owner Richard Czimer was convicted in 2003 of selling federally protected tigers and leopards, Chicago newspapers reported at the time. He acknowledged selling what he labeled as lion meat that actually was tigers, mountain lions, lions, and a liger a cross between a tiger and lion.

A news report says Czimer doesnt own a farm but is a butcher.

Maricopa County health officials were scheduled to inspect Selogies paperwork Thursday. He said he did everything he reasonably could to check the meats background before he bought it.

I felt we did our due diligence, he said. I felt it was legal.

Selogie served 20 burgers Wednesday and planned to serve another 20 Thursday, all by reservation only. He said he informed patrons about the recent questions in case they wanted to change their mind.

They ate it anyway and they loved it, he said.

About 100 customers were on a list to be called for dinner in case anybody backed out, he said. One man who had eaten lion before even offered $60 for a burger, Selogie said, but was denied because he wasnt on the list.

Ten protestors showed up Wednesday evening. Next door, Kirk Hofmann knew of the protest plans and figured hed try to drum up business with his own promotion for veggie burgers. He told Selogie about the signs before posting them and Selogie was fine with it.

If people dont want to support Il Vinaio, I want them to at least support downtown Mesa, he said.

Hofmann sold six burgers to protesters.

We didnt have that on the menu before, he said. I had one for the first time yesterday and liked it. I think its going to be on our regular menu.

As for Il Vinaios menu, Selogie said hed consider lion again but only if he had better verification of its origin. The Humane Society had asked him not to serve the lion after news reports questioned the source, but Selogie said he wanted to continue because the idea started with giving patrons what they want.

He will donate $2 for each lion burger to a no-kill animal shelter and is asking opponents to match that.

Selogie said he was disheartened to know how much attention the meat has gotten after going through Wednesday and hearing of a setback in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, where a containment device was knocked out of place and resulted in more leakage.

I think its a shame theres more attention to 10 pounds of lions meat than whats happening in the gulf, he said.

Contact writer: (480) 898-6548 or ggroff@evtrib.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37917426/ns/local_news-phoenix_az/

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks like lion, smells like lion, tastes like lion.

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Thats probably why the lions came close to extinction some years ago.

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Looking at a list from his meat supplier, he spotted hippo, boa constrictor and, of course, the lion.

Everything a fine dining establishment should have on the menu. Bon Appetit!

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
He had planned to pair wine with an unusual meat, like he has done with wild boar or rabbit.

Most people would like to pair the Lion up with an expensive red wine.

Proper etiqutte calls for a white wine with Lion, preferably from the Italian lowlands stomped with the tiny feet of a young virgin women.

RedNFeisty
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think making a donation to a no-kill animal shelter makes it right to kill lions for burgers, but I am an animal lover and find this a little disturbing. I don't think it is humane to eat fresh monkey brains either. Guess I will just stay away from the establishment.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
After all the cats I've eaten around here I've love to step up to the Lion burger...

seclark
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think making a donation to a no-kill animal shelter makes it right to kill lions for burgers, but I am an animal lover and find this a little disturbing. I don't think it is humane to eat fresh monkey brains either. Guess I will just stay away from the establishment.

i bet they're lion. they're keeping the money.
sec

Rain Man
06-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Do you eat cows and chickens and fish?

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:51 AM
I think its a shame theres more attention to 10 pounds of lions meat than whats happening in the gulf, he said.

I'm not paying attention to someone buying 10 lbs of lions meat is anyone else? My mind won't wander.

Rausch
06-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Big difference!

That's meat! These are ANIMALS!1!:cuss:

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
This is by far the most exotic thing we have on the menu, he said. We have no intention of going even further.

Folks they aren't going any more exotic then this they promise.

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Hed heard good things about lion and figured the African animal was a natural match to the sporting events location. He selected a South African wine to complement it.

When in Rome......

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
They ate it anyway penis and all they loved it, he said.

:eek:

Fairplay
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
He acknowledged selling what he labeled as lion meat that actually was tigers, mountain lions, lions, and a liger a cross between a tiger and lion.

Hey i ordered a lion burger and all i got was a leopard burger, WTF?

RedNFeisty
06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I do, but it is a norm for me, eating lions and monkeys are not!

i bet they're lion. they're keeping the money.
sec

:LOL: I wish they were!

Rausch
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey i ordered a lion burger and all i got was a leopard burger, WTF?

We're eating one of the few natural predators humans have left to fear.

I'm ok with that...

Bugeater
06-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Is Fairplay back on the crack?

Anyway, while the guy is right when he points out the absurdity of the outrage over this, trying to deflect the attention by bringing up the oil spill is pretty weak.

KCrockaholic
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
No thanks, I'll stick with my Buffalo burgers :)

Rausch
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Is Fairplay back on the crack?

Anyway, while the guy is right when he points out the absurdity of the outrage over this, trying to deflect the attention by bringing up the oil spill is pretty weak.

But would you eat one?...

MOhillbilly
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I knew Book of Eli was gonna be awesome when the opening scene was my favorite sport.

Renegade
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I was at Chatter's restaurant yesterday in Joplin Mo. Here is what their "Lion Burger" consisted of.

Lion Burger - Two beef patties topped with grilled onions, green peppers, sliced sautéed mushrooms, jalapeno bacon, fried egg, Velveeta and Swiss cheese, mayo, tomato, pickle and lettuce.

This is one big artery clogging sandwich

Bugeater
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
But would you eat one?...
Sure, why not?

morphius
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I think they need to make a top of the food chain class platter with some alligator, great white shark and lion.

MOhillbilly
06-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I think they need to make a top of the food chain class platter with some alligator, great white shark and lion.

better add human to that menu.

morphius
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
better add human to that menu.
Eh, we just taste like bacon, so I guess we could wrap I lion steak in bacon and call it good.

But actually the idea is to prove our dominance over the other "tops" of the food chain.

MVChiefFan
06-25-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm just flabourgasted that they would serve Liger!!! That cat is magical!

Rain Man
06-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Eh, we just taste like bacon, so I guess we could wrap I lion steak in bacon and call it good.

But actually the idea is to prove our dominance over the other "tops" of the food chain.

I bet I would taste like bacon infused with Dr. Pepper and cashews.

2bikemike
06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
There was a place here in La Jolla that served Lion once. Same bunch of controversy surrounded that place as well.

I would be willing to give Lion a try. I have tried several other game animals.

Renegade
06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I bet I would taste like bacon infused with Dr. Pepper and cashews.

Is that what makes you crop dust?

JoeyChuckles
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I am headed over to Mesa this evening to shop at the local IKEA. Maybe I will check it out and see how it is.

vailpass
06-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I am headed over to Mesa this evening to shop at the local IKEA. Maybe I will check it out and see how it is.

That fucking IKEA is a maze. When you finally escape you find yourself with sore feet and cheaply made yet strangely attractive furniture.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
"Donkey burgers are the greatest of all time" Knowhomer24