PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Brodie Croyle Not Content as Back-up (with video)

CosmicPal
06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/2010/06/former_alabama_standout_brodie.html

Brodie Croyle isn't ready to accept being just a backup quarterback in the NFL, although that's where he will find himself when the Kansas City Chiefs open training camp next month.

Entering his fifth season, Croyle, 27, is slated to back up Matt Cassel.
3Share

"You're not ever content being a backup," Croyle said Friday after working out for 30 minutes at the new D1 Sports Training and The*rapy facility, which he partly owns, in Homewood near Brookwood Medical Center. "Once you play, once you've started, you always have that drive. If you lose that drive, you're probably not in love with game anymore. Obviously, I want to start, but I'm in a good position there."

Croyle has played in only 16 games (nine starts) in four seasons with the Chiefs, who selected him in the third round of the 2006 draft out of Alabama. He has completed 173 of 300 passes for 1,631 yards with eight touchdowns and eight inter*ceptions.

Croyle started the Chiefs' final six games of the 2007 season and was the incum*bent at the start of 2008, but injuries limited him to only two games. He suffered a shoulder injury in the Chiefs' first game. He re*turned in Week 7, but tore the MCL in his left knee and was sidelined for the re*mainder of the season.

During the following off*season, the Chiefs acquired Cassel from the New Eng*land Patriots and made him the starter in 2009 under new coach Todd Haley. Croyle filled in for an in*jured Cassel in the opener, but once Cassel returned Croyle was relegated to sec*ond string.

Croyle might have left the Chiefs for a chance to go elsewhere, but because the NFL had an uncapped sea*son for 2010, Kansas City re*tained his rights and re*signed him as a restricted free agent for $1.759 million. "They had an option," Croyle said. "I'm happy to be back."

Croyle believes he can still be a starter. "I have to," he said. "You just have to keep playing. You never know when your chance will come again, but when it does you have to be ready to go."

Croyle has been plagued by an assortment of injuries since his final year in high school at Westbrook Chris*tian in Rainbow City and also at Alabama.

"It's always frustrating, without a doubt," he said of his injury woes. "They hap*pen for a reason. You never know what it is. Down the road we'll overcome them and go from there."

In an effort to remain healthy this season, Croyle has put on some extra weight.

"Last year I was around 205, 206 pounds," he said. "When we finished mini*camp (in May) I was at 214. Maybe that will give me a chance to stay healthy and be able to take the beating you take when you play in the NFL."

Croyle said rookie de*fensive back Javier Arenas from Alabama has com*ported himself well in team workouts this summer.

"He's looked great," Croyle said. "He's running with the ones at nickel (back). He hadn't picked me off yet, but he has come close."

<table style="border:0px; padding:0px;"><tr><td><font style="font-size:13px; font-family:Verdana; font-weight:bold; font-color:#293546">Brodie Croyle talks football at new D1 Sports Training Facility in Homewood</font></td></tr><tr><td><script type="text/javascript" src="http://tribeca.vidavee.com/advance/trh/embedAsset.js?width=470.0&height=352.0&wmode=transparent&skin=v3AdvInt.swf&dockey=19C1B101B118162FB1BDC29EFF6961CC&"></script></td></tr></table>

pr_capone
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I wish that twig would stay healthy. He coulda been a contender!

Halfcan
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
so putting on 8 pounds will keep him healthy?? I dont thin that will help when a 300 pounder is nailing you in the back-lol

Halfcan
06-26-2010, 10:10 PM

ROFL but he put on 8 whole pounds-lol

milkman
06-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Speaking of nicknames, you may have come up with one for Brodie Croyle.

Twiggy.

RealSNR
06-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Twiggy.How about Buttface?

As in... "Brodie should have won a game by now, BUT....

KcMizzou
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I like Croyle, always have. I think on a good team, he'd be a good QB.

pr_capone
06-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Twiggy.

I like his CP moniker better.... Brokie.

milkman
06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I like his CP moniker better.... Brokie.

Yeah, okay.

Me, I never liked that moniker.

Just lacks something.

kcxiv
06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Brokie for him doesnt lack ANYTHING. Its perfect.

Halfcan
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM

:clap: I agree.

milkman
06-26-2010, 11:12 PM

Did I ask for your opinion?

If it was perfect, then no one would say it wasn't, so clearly it isn't perfect.

Halfcan
06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Did I ask for your opinion?

If it was perfect, then no one would say it wasn't, so clearly it isn't perfect.

You didnt say dumbass-man i got into your head-lol :)

9 out of 10 times you would have put at least one "dumbass" in there

DBOSHO
06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I wish they would just give him a shot. He showed that he could take some hits in the BAL game. I know its a pipe dream, but i just have a feeling that When healthy, croyle could take us places cassel never will.

Micjones
06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure he'd be a starting QB in the NFL if he could stay healthy.
He wasn't a world-beater when he was on the field.

I really wish Chiefs fans would let this one go.
Cassel may not be the answer, but Croyle isn't either.

pr_capone
06-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I wish they would just give him a shot. He showed that he could take some hits in the BAL game. I know its a pipe dream, but i just have a feeling that When healthy, croyle could take us places cassel never will.

As of right now the only place Croyle will take us is on a tour of major metropolitan emergency rooms.

Bowser
06-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I like for the backups on my team to have the attitude that they shouldn't be backups. Keeps them pushing.

Rasputin
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I admire the fact that he has came back from so manny injuries and still wants to be starter knowing he could get hurt again. That takes guts imo. If he shows anything in preseason that he can take over, and Cassel struggles a bit he may get his shot. I hope so, am rooting for him.

I think our O-line will be better in protection especially if Barry Richardson is on RT i think he will make the biggest differance if he gets to start. He's another guy I am rooting for! I do think Barry would be better run blocker but better than average at pass protection and better than average at RT aint bad.

Pushead2
06-27-2010, 02:59 AM

:spock: dude is 0-9.....& can't stay healthy.

pr_capone
06-27-2010, 06:53 AM
:spock: dude is 0-9.....& can't stay healthy.

To be fair, he is 0-9 under Herm's flustrating leadership.

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Wrong.

BC's only problem is his duribility, that's it.

He's got a great arm.

He get's rid of the ball quick.

And his teamates get behind him.

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 07:10 AM
The entire time BC spent under center in KC he was running for his life behind the worst nfl line in the history of the game, no doubt about it. No QB would have been succesful behind that line, and with the shitty rec corps we had.

By the end of camp Croyle will be our #1

boogblaster
06-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Croyle if protected can start in the NFL ... if not here then somewhere else .. if Cassel can't get it done I'd like to see Croyle get one more chance ....

notorious
06-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I am not liking Option A or Option B very much.......

Coogs
06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
How about Buttface?

As in... "Brodie should have won a game by now, BUT....

C. Gunningham was the teams DC. 'nuff said.

gblowfish
06-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Brokie is hopeless. We should look for a different #2. He's fragile as a CD jewel case.

dj56dt58
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
so putting on 8 pounds will keep him healthy?? I dont thin that will help when a 300 pounder is nailing you in the back-lol

He needs to go workout with Jamarcus

Hydrae
06-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Croyle is closest thing to an answer we have on the team.

notorious
06-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Unfortunate, but true.

Bane
06-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Brokie,and Cassel are hopeless. We should look for different QB's all together.

FYP

Deberg_1990
06-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I dont think any QB is ever content being a backup. Except for maybe Todd Collins.....

Rausch
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I dont think any QB is ever content being a backup. Except for maybe Todd Collins.....

Who looked solid up until the playoffs with Washington...

morphius
06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Wrong.

BC's only problem is his duribility, that's it.

He's got a great arm.

He get's rid of the ball quick.

And his teamates get behind him.
I'd argue that he can't throw a touch pass to save his life.

Bane
06-27-2010, 10:23 AM

All of this could be resolved if KC could learn how to evaluate QB talent and not search other teams dumpsters like we have for the past 30+ years.It's been very clear to me for a long damn time that we don't have the people in place to "find" a QBOTF much less an above average starting QB.:shake:

Micjones
06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

His 70.6 Career QB Rating says so.
Or perhaps you're convinced by his 8 Career TD's (matched by 8 Career INT's)?
Or maybe his 58% completion percentage?

If the guy stayed healthy he STILL wouldn't be the answer.

Gadzooks
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM

IMO, Frank Reich seemed to prefer to be a backup.

Lex Luthor
06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
All of this could be resolved if KC could learn how to evaluate QB talent and not search other teams dumpsters like we have for the past 30+ years.It's been very clear to me for a long damn time that we don't have the people in place to "find" a QBOTF much less an above average starting QB.:shake:
That would be a fair statement if the people currently in charge had been in charge for the last 30+ years.

milkman
06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
That would be a fair statement if the people currently in charge had been in charge for the last 30+ years.

He went to the Halfwit school of logic.

BigMeatballDave
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
If the guy stayed healthy he STILL wouldn't be the answer.Its a conundrum. He can't stay healthy, so we don't know what he's capable of. You, on the other hand, know everything so just let Pioli know what you know then they can go ahead and just cut him...:rolleyes:

Lonewolf Ed
06-27-2010, 07:44 PM

For what, 13 minutes? He's just too fragile. It's not that he's a bad guy or anything. Simple matter of fact: he breaks easily.

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Strange, I've never heard that knock against him or noticed it but in all fairness I've probably only seen a half dozen of his Bama games.
I don't think that you can count his short playing time with the Chiefs to make that assesment as he lacked the personel, protection and playing time to develope and "touch"

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 07:53 PM

What kind of help do you think he had around him? This team has been so devoid of talent for too long now.

You want to see a more accurate depiction of BC's abilities you need to go back to college tape.

Game 1 in Baltimore last year wasn't too bad either.

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't think some realize just how piss poor our Oline play has been the last several years. Croyle never stood a chance behind that line, pitiful

milkman
06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't think some realize just how piss poor our Oline play has been the last several years. Croyle never stood a chance behind that line, pitiful

And yet, for all his other shortcomings, Matt Cassel managed to survive it last year.

BossChief
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
And yet, for all his other shortcomings, Matt Cassel managed to survive it last year.

its a blessing and a curse

milkman
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
its a blessing and a curse

Okay Monk.

LOCOChief
06-27-2010, 08:06 PM

This is true, but I contend that with better protection we have a better qb in Croyle.

I also realize that if he did go down in week 10 what a waste it would be.

morphius
06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Strange, I've never heard that knock against him or noticed it but in all fairness I've probably only seen a half dozen of his Bama games.
I don't think that you can count his short playing time with the Chiefs to make that assesment as he lacked the personel, protection and playing time to develope and "touch"
It really is just my opinion, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example of him throwing anything outside of a rocket and unless he can figure out how to do it well I can't like the idea of him as our starting QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
But he was so content last year!

KCChiefsFan88
06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Croyle hasn't done jack shit in the NFL (including win a regular season game as a starting QB), yet wants to cry to his hometown newspaper about wanting to be a starting QB? That is quite funny.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Croyle hasn't done jack shit in the NFL (including win a regular season game as a starting QB), yet wants to cry to his hometown newspaper about wanting to be a starting QB? That is quite funny.

Boss Chiefs's signature can show you something quite "funnier".

Micjones
06-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Its a conundrum. He can't stay healthy, so we don't know what he's capable of. You, on the other hand, know everything so just let Pioli know what you know then they can go ahead and just cut him...:rolleyes:

That...or maybe I watched him play?
:shrug:

Micjones
06-28-2010, 01:27 AM
What kind of help do you think he had around him? This team has been so devoid of talent for too long now.

You want to see a more accurate depiction of BC's abilities you need to go back to college tape.

Game 1 in Baltimore last year wasn't too bad either.

That's cute, but let anyone in the forum fix their fingers to type the same excuses for Cassel and grown men have virtual baby calves.

Micjones
06-28-2010, 01:32 AM

I hate to break it to you, but he wasn't a world beater in College either.
In fact...his completion percentage was worse there.

Pioli Zombie
06-28-2010, 05:44 AM
I love how Some people have made Brodie Croyle out to be Joe Montana. HE'S BRODIE CROYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOCOChief
06-28-2010, 06:02 AM

crying? The guys a competitor and he wants to start. This is what you want with any player, starter, backup, practice squad.

LOCOChief
06-28-2010, 06:03 AM
Boss Chiefs's signature can show you something quite "funnier".

yep

LOCOChief
06-28-2010, 06:07 AM
I love how Some people have made Brodie Croyle out to be Joe Montana. HE'S BRODIE CROYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not comparing Croyle to Montana, I'm saying that he's a better qb than Cassel.

LOCOChief
06-28-2010, 06:13 AM
I hate to break it to you, but he wasn't a world beater in College either.
In fact...his completion percentage was worse there.

Statistics Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rating Att Yds Avg TD
2005 339 202 59.6 2,499 14 4 132.8 64 -156 -2.4 1
2004 66 44 66.7 534 6 0 164.6 9 -27 -3.0 0
2003 341 182 53.4 2,303 16 13 118.0 71 7 0.1 0
2002 123 60 48.8 1,046 5 5 125.5 37 -2 -0.1 3
Career 869 488 56.2 6,382 41 22 128.4 181 -178 -1.0 4

Not too shaby 2005 132 rating, 14 td's 4 Int's.

King_Chief_Fan
06-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Croyle has been plagued by an assortment of injuries since his final year in high school at Westbrook Chris*tian in Rainbow City and also at Alabama.

That is the reason he will never be able to be a sustained starter.

Hydrae
06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

I did not say he was the answer. I said he is the CLOSEST THING WE HAVE to an answer. He may not be the answer but Cassell is farther from the answer, IMO.

ModSocks
06-28-2010, 09:25 AM
If all I could hear was the audio from that video, I'd swear Haley was talking. Guy sounds exactly the same.

talastan
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
If all I could hear was the audio from that video, I'd swear Haley was talking. Guy sounds exactly the same.

Speaking of Haley is there any truth that Haley would prefer Brodie over Cassel? In the press conference earlier this year when he said Brodie would play an important role in the future of this team that quote seemed to raise quite a few eyebrows? :hmmm:

Fish
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Speaking of Haley is there any truth that Haley would prefer Brodie over Cassel? In the press conference earlier this year when he said Brodie would play an important role in the future of this team that quote seemed to raise quite a few eyebrows? :hmmm:

It's coachspeak, so you really never know. He's praised Croyle off and on quite a bit since taking over here though. But he's also said several times that Cassel was doing a wonderful job, when it was obvious he wasn't.

Coaches are full of bullshit. If Croyle wants to start, all he has to do is stay on the field and throw TDs. If he can really be all that, then it shouldn't be hard to beat out Cassel in fair competition.

DeezNutz
06-28-2010, 10:28 AM
It's coachspeak, so you really never know. He's praised Croyle off and on quite a bit since taking over here though. But he's also said several times that Cassel was doing a wonderful job, when it was obvious he wasn't.

Coaches are full of bullshit. If Croyle wants to start, all he has to do is stay on the field and throw TDs. If he can really be all that, then it shouldn't be hard to beat out Cassel in fair competition.

Good luck with that. /$63M

ModSocks
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM

I think Croyle will get a chance this year. I highly doubt Cassel will take every snap. He's going to miss time from injury. He's just bound too. And I do think Haley likes Croyle, but he may not have the leadership that Cassel has.

As much as I don't like Cassel's talent, he does seem like a leader, carries himself like a winner. I've gotta give him that much credit.

RedNFeisty
06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
What is the deal with the Chiefs not being about to pick a good quarterback? For as long as I have been a fan there has been issues, Elvis vs. Gannon being a good comparison to what is going on with Cassel and Croyle. Carl is no longer to blame, so is it the the curse of the QB's?

HemiEd
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
What is the deal with the Chiefs not being about to pick a good quarterback? For as long as I have been a fan there has been issues, Elvis vs. Gannon being a good comparison to what is going on with Cassel and Croyle. Carl is no longer to blame, so is it the the curse of the QB's?

Since Carl Peterson drafted Todd Blackledge, the team has been cursed. Well, maybe even before that, since the only real successful QB, Lenny Dawson, was drafted by the Steelers and traded to the Browns before coming to the Texans.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I did not say he was the answer. I said he is the CLOSEST THING WE HAVE to an answer. He may not be the answer but Cassell is farther from the answer, IMO.

Cassel is more like a question than an answer.

A sarcastic, loud, facetious question screamed by a gnarly-looking skank all whacked-out on 16 or more Natty Lights, who shovels all of your Lays potato chips in to her mouth as the crumbs fall all over your furniture, and you eventually have to kick her ass out the door at the request of everyone else.

Coogs
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Since Carl Peterson drafted Todd Blackledge, the team has been cursed.

:LOL: That's still got to be one of my all time favorites around here. Well played sir! :clap:

CoMoChief
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Good luck with that. /$63M

Leinart(1st rd draft pick $$$) /Warner

Frosty
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Croyle said Friday after working out for 30 minutes at the new D1 Sports Training and Therapy facility, which he partly owns, in Homewood near Brookwood Medical Center.

I thought this was funny. Investing in his future? Employee discount?

RedNFeisty
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Since Carl Peterson drafted Todd Blackledge, the team has been cursed. Well, maybe even before that, since the only real successful QB, Lenny Dawson, was drafted by the Steelers and traded to the Browns before coming to the Texans.

Well, damn it all to hell. lol

Micjones
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Statistics Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rating Att Yds Avg TD
2005 339 202 59.6 2,499 14 4 132.8 64 -156 -2.4 1
2004 66 44 66.7 534 6 0 164.6 9 -27 -3.0 0
2003 341 182 53.4 2,303 16 13 118.0 71 7 0.1 0
2002 123 60 48.8 1,046 5 5 125.5 37 -2 -0.1 3
Career 869 488 56.2 6,382 41 22 128.4 181 -178 -1.0 4

Not too shaby 2005 132 rating, 14 td's 4 Int's.

His career collegiate numbers aren't bad.
He was one of the best QB's in the history of that university.
That said, he was still never an elite QB in college.

Micjones
06-29-2010, 10:23 AM

We can agree to disagree.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
That said, he was still never an elite QB in college.Neither was Tom Brady...:)

orange
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Neither was Tom Brady...:)

Neither was Tyler Thigpen...:)

... did I miss your point?

Pioli Zombie
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not comparing Croyle to Montana, I'm saying that he's a better qb than Cassel.
Based on what?? What has Croyle ever done in the NFL?

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-30-2010, 09:04 PM

He kicked Cunterson's ass in a jello-shot contest. True story!

milkman
06-30-2010, 09:06 PM

I believe the question should be what hasn't he done?

The anwser would be not throw a 25 yard Hail Mary.

RustShack
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I have serious questions about peoples football intelligence if they really think Cassel is a better QB than Croyle. Unless of course, you prefer to run a offense where your QB doesn't throw the ball.

Micjones
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Neither was Tom Brady...:)

Difference being... Tom Brady completed 62% of his passes in college.
Croyle? Try 56%.