PDA

View Full Version : Football Hollywood to Retire a Saint

T-post Tom
06-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Horn will retire as a Saint after formally signing contract

NFL.com Wire Reports

New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said Friday that the team has formally signed wide receiver Joe Horn to a contract so he can retire as a member of the franchise.

Horn, 38, had said that he and the team were working on such a deal when he was elected to the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame earlier this year.

"Since he first arrived here in 2000, Joe made a significant impact on our team both on and off the field," Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement released by the team. "In addition to being one of the top players of all-time to wear a Saints uniform, he was always generous with his time to youth and those less fortunate in our community. I am proud that Joe will retire as a member of the New Orleans Saints family."

Horn signed with the Saints as a free agent in 2000 and was selected to four Pro Bowls before leaving New Orleans after the 2006 season. He's the only player in franchise history to have 75 catches in five consecutive seasons, and his 50 touchdown receptions remain a Saints record.

"Joe was one of our club’s best free agent signings ever," Loomis said in the statement. "I enjoyed seeing him develop into one of the NFL’s top receivers as a Saint. He is certainly one of the top all-time Saints. Given his relationships and the impact that he had both within the organization and in our community, it is only appropriate that he retire a Saint."

Ebolapox
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
shame. at least he got us willie roaf.

Rain Man
06-27-2010, 08:31 PM
There's so much I don't know about Joe Horn. I had no idea he wasn't already retired. I didn't remember that he went to four pro bowls. I had no idea that he held those Saints records. I had no idea he was in the Saints' hall of fame. I had no idea his off-field activities were highly regarded, especially since the only off-field activity I ever heard about was sexing up another player's wife.

When they were considering him for the Saints' hall of fame, I wonder if he got points deducted for driving Willie Roaf out of town.

T-post Tom
06-27-2010, 08:50 PM
There's so much I don't know about Joe Horn. I had no idea he wasn't already retired. I didn't remember that he went to four pro bowls. I had no idea that he held those Saints records. I had no idea he was in the Saints' hall of fame. I had no idea his off-field activities were highly regarded, especially since the only off-field activity I ever heard about was sexing up another player's wife.

When they were considering him for the Saints' hall of fame, I wonder if he got points deducted for driving Willie Roaf out of town.

Hey, do any of us REALLY know Joe Horn? Joe Horn is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma (or possibly a vagina).

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81415402.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5481C5404FCD9F574273EC1C39B7BD3051FF56F231222185CB1

KCChiefsFan88
06-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Rich Gannon/Joe Horn is the go to connection on the Chiefs late '90s/early 2000's All What-Could-Have-Been Team

T-post Tom
06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Rich Gannon/Joe Horn is the go to connection on the Chiefs late '90s/early 2000's All What-Could-Have-Been Team

And Grbac/Perriman/certain kicker/ are on the Chiefs' late '90s/early 2000's "All What-Should-Never-Have-Been Team".

RedNFeisty
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Why not retire from a team that appreciates him? Go out a winning stud!

LaChapelle
06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Hornersville Arbyrd Cardwell
Braggadocio Brasher Deering

cdcox
06-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I never understood why we let him go. From '98 to '99 he basically tippled his production. On top of that he was one of the relatively few players that could average 15 yards per reception. He was a home-grown emerging star and we just let him go.

Slainte
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
On top of that he was one of the relatively few players that could average 15 yards per reception.

When he managed to catch one. I remember the knock on him as having hands of stone at the time...

Rain Man
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I never understood why we let him go. From '98 to '99 he basically tippled his production. On top of that he was one of the relatively few players that could average 15 yards per reception. He was a home-grown emerging star and we just let him go.

I seem to recall that it appeared to be a decision to keep him or Lockett, and they kept Lockett because Horn wanted starter's money and wasn't starting at the time.

Of course, there was a reason Lockett didn't get starter's money....

I remember the discussion at the time, and several of us thought Horn should've been kept over Lockett. Horn was showing himself already to be the more talented player on the field. I suspect that Marty didn't like Horn's ego and/or personality.

RJ
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Good on Joe Horn. I always liked him, even as a Saint.

Demonpenz
06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
They should reshoot his touchdown with a cell phone with him with a EVO and twittering.