PDA

View Full Version : Football It Costs More to See Iowa than it does to see USC? Why?

vailpass
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Went to buy tix to the UofA-Iowa football game in Tucson this September. UofA tix prices vary according to opponent. Iowa tix cost more than any other opponent including USC. I'm puzzled: why would tix for the Iowa game cost more than any other, especially USC?

Is it because the opponent is out of state and known to travel well therefore they figure they can employ a little price gouging?

Bugeater
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
That's the only reason I can think of, plus a lot of people from the midwest end up in that area. Still, given the distances involved, that's pretty pathetic for USC. I guess I shouldn't expect any better from a fugging fraud of a program like them.

RJ
06-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe because it's an out of conference opponent?

Buck
06-28-2010, 04:21 PM
They probably think that demand is higher because more people will be traveling from Big 10 country. Also maybe for out of conference games they have to charge more so the visiting team gets more money, maybe the Big 10 and Pac 10 have something worked out for ticket prices when their teams play.

vailpass
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Good theories all, I know it isn't any big deal I just couldn't quite pinpoint the logic behind it. One of those things that doesn't mean anything but makes you say 'hmmm'.

CaliforniaChief
06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Possibly because Iowa is the best team they'll face this year?

*ducks*

Saulbadguy
06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Because Pac-10 athletics are a joke, and no one cares about them.

kstater
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM

But, but, they were interested.

BWillie
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Come on, we all know Iowa is superior to all other universities in the country. Everybody knows this. :D

vailpass
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Possibly because Iowa is the best team they'll face this year?

*ducks*

:toast::IA:

vailpass
06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Come on, we all know Iowa is superior to all other universities in the country. Everybody knows this. :D

I still have nightmares about the last time the Hawks visited AZ for a football game.
ASU, I think it was 2004.
*shudder*

Something about the time zone and the weather and I don't know what else but I'm nervous about the game in Tucson this year.
Especially since former Hawkeye hard-ass is coaching the Wildcats.

Bill Lundberg
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
It's Lute Olson's fault

chiefzilla1501
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll take a few guesses and they're probably all wrong.

The first being that near USC, there are about a million and a half different things to do on a Saturday. In Iowa, there's only one thing to do on Saturday--watch football and better yet, tailgate and watch it live.

The other being, I wonder how liberal each school is with student ticket allocations. Some schools are very generous about reserving X number of tickets to students. The students tend to get them at dirt cheap rates, so they have to charge more to non-students to make up for lost revenue.

Dave Lane
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Because they have to leave their crops in the field and round up 10 or 15 pickup trucks to drive there. Given that at least 1/2 will breakdown enroute and several will be have to be left by the side of the road it makes it imminently more expensive to get there than just buying airline tickets.

alanm
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Went to buy tix to the UofA-Iowa football game in Tucson this September. UofA tix prices vary according to opponent. Iowa tix cost more than any other opponent including USC. I'm puzzled: why would tix for the Iowa game cost more than any other, especially USC?

Is it because the opponent is out of state and known to travel well therefore they figure they can employ a little price gouging?Bingo. It happens to the Huskers all the time. :cuss:

CoMoChief
06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Bingo. It happens to the Huskers all the time. :cuss:

and Sooners. I'm sure many more too.

BWillie
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Because they have to leave their crops in the field and round up 10 or 15 pickup trucks to drive there. Given that at least 1/2 will breakdown enroute and several will be have to be left by the side of the road it makes it imminently more expensive to get there than just buying airline tickets.

:rolleyes:

Dave Lane
06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey it's just a theory just saying...

vailpass
06-28-2010, 08:31 PM

I was more looking for input from people from areas that had D1 football programs.

Iowanian
06-28-2010, 09:06 PM
It's obvious that Hawk fans are better than USC fans and travel better.

I hope Dave Lane is sitting on the side of the road with his smoking, broke down Audi in the rain when that train of trucks drives on by.

Willie Lanier
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
They don't need help selling conference game tickets, so the few they sell are sold fast; out of conference games, particularly big ten games (whose fans travel well), can still sell out but it's gonna cost more due to loyalist demand.

Titty Meat
06-29-2010, 12:21 AM

This is funny coming from a K-State fan.

Willie Lanier
06-29-2010, 12:43 AM
The Big Ten will be very good for Nebraska, Notre Dame will follow within 3 years.

DaneMcCloud
06-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I actually have no idea but I'd imagine that the cost of doing business is passed on to the ticket buyer.

Considering that Iowa will be playing far outside of the Big Ten and the midwest, it'll definitely cost more for their athletic department and players to make the trip.

Just a guess but IMO, a feasible guesss.

Titty Meat
06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
The Big Ten will be very good for Nebraska, Notre Dame will follow within 3 years.

Indeed people saying moving to the Big 10 would hurt recruit Nebraska. They already have one of the best classes for next year.

jspchief
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Arizona has a huge contingent of Iowa retirees. It's also the reason Arizona favors Iowa for bowl games all the time.

It is also going to be one of their highest ranked opponents for a home game.

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
They don't need help selling conference game tickets, so the few they sell are sold fast; out of conference games, particularly big ten games (whose fans travel well), can still sell out but it's gonna cost more due to loyalist demand.

I'm not sure about that. The games with highest demands are priced the lowest? The Citadel game is priced lowest of all, you saying that's because that will be the game that sells out fastest?

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
I actually have no idea but I'd imagine that the cost of doing business is passed on to the ticket buyer.

Considering that Iowa will be playing far outside of the Big Ten and the midwest, it'll definitely cost more for their athletic department and players to make the trip.

Just a guess but IMO, a feasible guesss.

You saying UofA is going to pay Iowa for showing up? Citadel is traveling just as far yet their game is priced lowest.

The Franchise
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Who wants to pay a lot of money to go see U of A get crushed by USC?

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Who wants to pay a lot of money to go see U of A get crushed by USC?

That isn't a gaurantee, it was 14-9 last year.

HemiEd
06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Good theories all, I know it isn't any big deal I just couldn't quite pinpoint the logic behind it. One of those things that doesn't mean anything but makes you say 'hmmm'.

Duh, Nebraska needs the money.

DonTellMeShowMe
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I live here in Tucson, UofA alumn and the only reason I can think of is that we play USC every year (well every other year here), its def an exciting game usually, but I think people are really hyped up about Iowa. It was a pretty good game last year, and Iowa was/is a very good team, so everyone down here is expecting a very competitive game.

DonTellMeShowMe
06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
This is funny coming from a K-State fan.

this

vailpass
06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I live here in Tucson, UofA alumn and the only reason I can think of is that we play USC every year (well every other year here), its def an exciting game usually, but I think people are really hyped up about Iowa. It was a pretty good game last year, and Iowa was/is a very good team, so everyone down here is expecting a very competitive game.

Stoops has his program heading in the right direction IMHO.Too bad about the thug WR he had to suspend.
As a Hawkeye living in Phoenix I laugh at ASU but root for UofA. I hated when Lute left Iowa but always pulled for him in Tucson.

Ya think it'll get below 100 degrees in time for the Iowa game this September?

Chief Henry
06-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Arizona has a huge contingent of Iowa retirees. It's also the reason Arizona favors Iowa for bowl games all the time.It is also going to be one of their highest ranked opponents for a home game.

this

tooge
06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
prbably due to the fact that there is a chance Mecca could be there. They will practically have to give them away.

DonTellMeShowMe
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Stoops has his program heading in the right direction IMHO.Too bad about the thug WR he had to suspend.
As a Hawkeye living in Phoenix I laugh at ASU but root for UofA. I hated when Lute left Iowa but always pulled for him in Tucson.

Ya think it'll get below 100 degrees in time for the Iowa game this September?

That's cool man

-yeah too bad about Dean ("thug WR"). I admire Stoops for taking quick action (unlike other Pac 10 teams...cough Oregon....cough ASU...cough USC)

-Hopefully it will be under 100...have you been to Arizona Stadium? My only suggestion is if it is during the day at all, sit on the West side, as the sun setting can be annoying for the ol' eyes and can be very hot.....also hopefully there wont be a monsoon storm lol

Hoover
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Because Iowa Travels well. So away teams bend us over.