PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Anyone ever do standup?

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Im doing open mic night at stanford and sons next tuesday, ive already got my set down, and i was just wondering if anyone here has done it before and has any pointers. thanks in advance.

CosmicPal
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
If you need a heckler in the audience, I'll be there. :D

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
If you need a heckler in the audience, I'll be there. :D

hey man the more people there the better i think, but dont get pissed if i start raggin on ya.;)

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Just have fun with it. Don't worry about bombing. Open mics are filled with people who suck so don't feel embarassed.

Bane
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Put up a video so we can see if you're funny or not.:thumb:

Sofa King
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I would recommend trying to make the audience laugh.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Put up a video so we can see if you're funny or not.:thumb:

will do ill try and get one of my friends to record and see what you guys think.

Bane
06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
will do ill try and get one of my friends to record and see what you guys think.

I seriously wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything,just curious to see your routine.I love stand up comedy myself...:D

OmahaChief
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have done a few open mics and some of the advice I would give is..
1. Have a couple of drinks to loosen up
2. If you are not getting laughs, make a joke about it.
3. Stay away from the racial stuff...as you are not a pro it will not be appreciated as if a pro is doing it. I learned this the hard way. Dude wanted to fight me.
4. Dane Cook is a douche nozzle so try not to sound like him
5. Have fun with it. The first time out, I thought I bombed as the laughs were not very loud during the 3 minutes I got. But when I was done I got a nice round of applause and was encouraged to come back by the club owner. We look for the instant reaction but sometimes it is a build up. I love a shot set that comes full circle, crowds seem to respond to it.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I seriously wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything,just curious to see your routine.I love stand up comedy myself...:D

lol its cool man didnt even get a hint of smartass in there lol i love stand up and if im good the more people that see me the better.

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
How much time does Stanfords give u on stage?

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
How much time does Stanfords give u on stage?

3 to 5 mins im sure its shorter if they think you arent doing good

Bane
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
lol its cool man didnt even get a hint of smartass in there lol i love stand up and if im good the more people that see me the better.

Cool.Well I look forward to seeing it.

Frazod
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I've been told I should by a lot of people.

My rants are even better in person. :cuss:

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM

thats kinda how i got into it a bunch of people have told me i should atleast try it so we shall see how it goes.

Bane
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM

I love to make people laugh as well,I just have no natural talent.ROFL

Frazod
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I love to make people laugh as well,I just have no natural talent.ROFL

I've actually got a pretty good sense of timing. But I need the right crowd. I don't think I'd do very well in a comedy club full of sniveling yuppie metrosexual types.

Bane
06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I've actually got a pretty good sense of timing. But I need the right crowd. I don't think I'd do very well in a comedy club full of sniveling yuppie metrosexual types.

Heard that.I usually act up and get everyone going after a few drinks,but I'm definitely not talented enough or brave enough to attempt stand up for real.

ChiTown
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

I absolutely kill when I'm doing stand up at the morgue................

I'll be here all week, try the veal.:D

swayy07
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
lets just hope i get a decent response lol even if i dont im still gunna put the video up to see what you guys will say

tooge
06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I've done stand up, doggy style, missionary, swedish butterfly, you name it. Stand up is Meh.

bevischief
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Have a few and think of the audience in their underwear...

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM

It's not even a big deal you should try it. Just go to an open mic and watch all the people who are horribly unfunny. That alone should give you the confidence to do it.

Frazod
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
It's not even a big deal you should try it. Just go to an open mic and watch all the people who are horribly unfunny. That alone should give you the confidence to do it.

So it's like karaoke, only instead of bad singing its bad jokes.

No thanks. :grr:

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
So it's like karaoke, only instead of bad singing its bad jokes.

No thanks. :grr:

It's actually a mix. Some are good but most suck. Personally I like following the people who are awkward and uncomfortable onstage because it makes you stand out that much more when your good. It's a big time rush though when you make a room full of strangers laugh.

blaise
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Even with the people that do well at open mics, if you go more than once you'll see them doing the same routine every time. I did it once just so I could say I did it. I prefer writing.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Even with the people that do well at open mics, if you go more than once you'll see them doing the same routine every time. I did it once just so I could say I did it. I prefer writing.

eh idk man ive gone a couple times and seen the same few people a couple times and they always seem to have some fresh stuff

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Not always. I try to mix in new bits to my routine. If I'm doing the same routine it's because I'm trying to focus on my timing and ways to make it sound conversational.

blaise
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
eh idk man ive gone a couple times and seen the same few people a couple times and they always seem to have some fresh stuff

Some do, others don't. I never went around KC, I used to go in Houston quite a bit because it was right near my work. There would be about 30+ people wanting to go on. Some would be first timers, a few would be local comedians that open for professional comedians at the club (they would be using open mic to work new material) and the rest would be the regulars. A lot that I saw just went and more or less did the same act, with minor changes week to week. I'm not criticizing them, I'm just saying that's what happened. I only mention it so the thread starter doesn't see some people go on and think "Hey, they're pretty good. They're smoother than me on delivery. I'm going to sound terrible." when the reality is they've probably practiced the routine they use at open mic quite a few times.

Oh, I guess you're the thread starter.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Some do, others don't. I never went around KC, I used to go in Houston quite a bit because it was right near my work. There would be about 30+ people wanting to go on. Some would be first timers, a few would be local comedians that open for professional comedians at the club (they would be using open mic to work new material) and the rest would be the regulars. A lot that I saw just went and more or less did the same act, with minor changes week to week. I'm not criticizing them, I'm just saying that's what happened. I only mention it so the thread starter doesn't see some people go on and think "Hey, they're pretty good. They're smoother than me on delivery. I'm going to sound terrible." when the reality is they've probably practiced the routine they use at open mic quite a few times.

Oh, I guess you're the thread starter.

good point man thanks for the tip never really thought about it like that

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
So is this something you plan on doing on a regular basis?

Frazod
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
It's actually a mix. Some are good but most suck. Personally I like following the people who are awkward and uncomfortable onstage because it makes you stand out that much more when your good. It's a big time rush though when you make a room full of strangers laugh.

I get that when I sing in front of a responsive crowd - I'm not a world class singer or anything, but I'm pretty good and usually one of the best people in the rotation. Some nights it doesn't matter how well you perform - people either don't pay attention at all or only clap for their friends. But when a good crowd really goes nuts over something you just did, yeah, it's cool.

Of course, to me, because my wife is such a karaoke nut, singing karaoke for me is kind of like taking out the trash - I don't really enjoy it that much because I have to do it so often, but it makes the wife happy so I grin and bear it. And because I can sing well I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE the bad singers. I'll generally leave the room if somebody is really terrible. I don't find humor in somebody embarassing themself in front of a crowd - it just annoys me. So I can't imagine I'd do any better with shitty amateur comedians.

cardken
06-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I did stand up back in the day for about two years. I started at Stanfords "Open Mic" as well. They are good people if you're good they recognize it.
Just keep it loose, keep the pace going, if you're not hearing the laughs it's not a bad thing, you're so charged up you can't decipher anyways. Have a drink or two before. And don't be too critical of yourself. and don;t worry about the others, they got their own problems. The Comedy world is full of overconfident dicks or self loathers. It's your job to figure out which one you are, don't let the audience decide for you. It's a process, trite but "Have Fun."

swayy07
06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
So is this something you plan on doing on a regular basis?

yea i would love to if it happened to turn out that way i mean no college degree or anything so if somethin like that happend id be stoked.

PunkinDrublic
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
yea i would love to if it happened to turn out that way i mean no college degree or anything so if somethin like that happend id be stoked.

Your first goal should be to learn your basic setups, punchlines and timing. Don't try to be George Carlin and think you have to have this groundbreaking routine right off the bat. You first have to be able to put together a solid 5 minute set through trial and error. Make it a habit of keeping a notebook nearby and writing down any funny thoughts down.

CosmicPal
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
sway- I wish you the best of luck in this.

Do you have a personal style, voice, or topic of comedy you are working on? If so, what is it?

Who are your comedic inspirations? And are you melding a little bit of their styles into your routine until you can formulate your own voice and mannerisms?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Is it just me, or are there like 27 people from CP doing stand up comedy now? NBC must be killing it with that show............

siberian khatru
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
IIRC, Braincase has in a previous life. Don't think he's posted lately, so you might want to PM him.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
sway- I wish you the best of luck in this.

Do you have a personal style, voice, or topic of comedy you are working on? If so, what is it?

Who are your comedic inspirations? And are you melding a little bit of their styles into your routine until you can formulate your own voice and mannerisms?

well my favorite comics are sam kennison and kevin james, and im a bigger guy my self so ill probably be doing some of the same kind of stuff james does with kinda making fun of myself with some fat jokes and what not but ill prolly also do some yelling like kennison did with his routines.

ForeverChiefs58
06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Everyone at my work is always telling me how I am the funniest man on earth. I mean they go on and on how hilarious I am, what a great person I am, they even go on how good looking and stong I am. Really builds up your confidence hearing that kind of praise everyday at work.

Of course I do work from home, so they have to say that stuff if they want things like food, shelter, and a bedtime story read to them but still.

Thig Lyfe
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
well my favorite comics are sam kennison and kevin james, and im a bigger guy my self so ill probably be doing some of the same kind of stuff james does with kinda making fun of myself with some fat jokes and what not but ill prolly also do some yelling like kennison did with his routines.

You'll fit right in.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
You'll fit right in.

i sure hope so

stevieray
06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
timing and facial expressions.....if you're quick witted, use cross thread humor when you can but don't overkill.

good luck...!

RNR
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
i sure hope so

As has been said keep a pad and paper handy and write down everything that pops in your head. It may appear scattered but re reading will spawn creation of new jokes, and some that may fit into sets later. If you are getting into this you have most likely made people you know laugh since you were young. If this is the case you probably have well rehearsed ad lib lines but are witty and things pop in your head quickly and you shoot them out and get on a roll. Later you most likely struggle to remember a lot of the things you said. Write things down while they are fresh in your mind. Lean to read the crowd and don't try to out think the room. Good Luck~

swayy07
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
As has been said keep a pad and paper handy and write down everything that pops in your head. It may appear scattered but re reading will spawn creation of new jokes, and some that may fit into sets later. If you are getting into this you have most likely made people you know laugh since you were young. If this is the case you probably have well rehearsed ad lib lines but are witty and things pop in your head quickly and you shoot them out and get on a roll. Later you most likely struggle to remember a lot of the things you said. Write things down while they are fresh in your mind. Lean to read the crowd and don't try to out think the room. Good Luck~

yea already got like 5 pages worth so i hope it keeps comin.

CosmicPal
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM

This.

Very good advice.

Whether you are a comedian, a writer, a musician, or delve into any of the arts, you must be able to see things through a different lens. Keeping a pad and pen on you at all times will help you to remember things as they pop into your mind. It's like carrying your heart around- if you don't use it, it gets broken.

RedNFeisty
06-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Im doing open mic night at stanford and sons next tuesday, ive already got my set down, and i was just wondering if anyone here has done it before and has any pointers. thanks in advance.

What a cute little puppy you have there!

That's all I've got! :D

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I got thrown off stage when I threw out one of my boar goo jokes and they figured out it wasn't really a joke.

honeydanny84
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM

really??? kinda doubt that

RNR
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM

And I do not~

Frazod
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM

And why is that?

RNR
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
And why is that?

:popcorn:

MadMax
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Gotsta have some balls :) Good luck bro. Timing is EVERYTHING from what I've seen. Connect with the crowd.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
thanks for all the support/ tips so far guys.

RedNFeisty
06-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Lewis Black, is that you??

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the support/ tips so far guys.

PM me if you want some good Boar Goo jokes. Or some good my dog just died stuff.

swayy07
06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
PM me if you want some good Boar Goo jokes. Or some good my dog just died stuff.

lol any jokes you guys think would be funny just let me know.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Anyone ever do standup?

Actually our house rule is everybody sits. We do not appreciate yellow over spray around the seat.