PDA

View Full Version : Football JWhit: Embracing Vick sets everybody back

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow, he really lays the smack down on Vick.

Some great points about the differences between McNabb and Vick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/michael-vick-sets-everybody-back-jason-whitlock

Let’s keep it real. Michael Vick is not the first man to pull out after three minutes and call it 30 under oath.

Too much is being made of Vick’s conflicting, nightclub-exit timeline.

Depending on traffic, Vick might be telling the truth. He and his entourage could’ve been “long gone” when a bullet dropped Quanis Phillips outside the restaurant that hosted Vick’s 30th birthday party.

Vick and his lawyer told police and the media that the Philadelphia quarterback left the scene 10 to 30 minutes before Phillips, a co-defendant in Vick’s dogfighting case, was shot. According to the restaurant owner, video surveillance proves Vick and his crew departed just a few short minutes before bullets were fired from the same direction as Vick’s exiting entourage.

So what? Do we run the QB formerly known as Ron Mexico out of professional football because three minutes felt like 30?

I say no.

NFL commissioner/top cop Roger Goodell should not bail out the Philadelphia Eagles by taking action against the Avon Barksdale of football. The more appropriate punishment would be to leave Vick’s cancerous carcass inside the Philly locker room, a fitting payback for the way the organization treated classy QB Donovan McNabb.

Look, I tried to get on board with the Vick reclamation project. I’m sympathetic to the plight of ex-cons. Re-entry into mainstream society can be very difficult for a parolee. I was proud that Andy Reid and McNabb took on the challenge of trying to rehabilitate Vick.

Things have not worked out. The Eagles kicked my favorite active QB (McNabb) to the curb. And Vick has shown no legitimate commitment to developing as an NFL quarterback. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning don’t have reality TV shows. They also don’t throw “white linen” birthday parties at local nightclubs.

Vick craves street cred more than quarterback credibility. That’s always been his problem.

Remember when Avon Barksdale got sprung from prison in Season 3 of "The Wire"? Stringer Bell (McNabb) had everything laid out for Avon — a plush condo overlooking the harbor, legitimate businesses and a Salt-n-Pepa welcome-home team compliments of Tony Soprano’s Bada Bing.

But that wasn’t enough for Avon. He just had to hear his name ring out on those Baltimore corners. Avon had to take his corners back from Marlo Stanfield. Dumbass.

Vick still wants to be king of the 'hood. He wants his name to ring out in Newport News. Dumbass.

And all of his defenders/enablers are just as stupid.

What’s always bothered me about Vick is that he’s far more beloved in the black community than McNabb. It’s mind-boggling to me.

No QB in the history of the league has done more damage to the reputation of and the opportunities afforded to black quarterbacks than Michael Vick. And I say that knowing full well that as you read this, JaMarcus Russell is likely somewhere scarfing down hot wings at an all-you-can-eat buffet while wearing $2 million in designer jewelry.

Vick is a nightmare. When he wasn’t setting fire to his groupie conquests as Ron Mexico, he was bunkered in his estate smoking kush and mastering Xbox Madden football. In his spare time, he trained dogs to maim and fight. He hoodwinked Arthur Blank into a $100-million payday and then went to jail.

And we wonder why NFL management (Jeff Ireland) chooses to ignore common decency and bombard young black kids (Dez Bryant) with insulting pre-draft questions.

They’re afraid of getting in bed with the next Michael Vick. But he’s a hero, a ghetto icon.

And McNabb is a sellout or soft. McNabb is constantly blasted by media idiots who think he needs to engage Terrell Owens, DeSean Jackson or some other diva receiver in verbal warfare. The idiots believe an emotional tantrum would be a show of “leadership” by McNabb. Dumbasses.

McNabb’s close relationship/partnership with Andy Reid was leadership. The partnership McNabb builds with Mike Shanahan in Washington is the kind of leadership that will create opportunities for other black QBs.

McNabb has spent more than a decade in the league focused on doing the things necessary to become a Super Bowl-winning quarterback. He’s never been properly appreciated by the people his conduct directly benefits. The NAACP in Philadelphia criticized McNabb for transitioning into a dropback passer.

Philly deserves Michael Vick. The city had one of the league’s best for 11 years and never demanded that Eagles management consistently support him with top-flight personnel.

And maybe we (black folks) deserve Vick, too. We shower him with undying loyalty even though his actions undermine our progress.

Marcellus
07-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Damn. That's spot on.

bowener
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Good read. Makes me wonder how many years until Vick catches one of these bullets with his head?

chiefforlife
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Well Done, JWhit!

Radar Chief
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Sometimes I wish Jason would quit beating around the bush and just say how he really feels.

Old Dog
07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Not much to argue with there.

blaise
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Mike Vick should never be going back to Newport News for any reason.

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Excellent read and nice job jwhit.

MMXcalibur
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Surprisingly, I was actually nodding my head in agreement near the end there. Philadelphia is America's shithole. Philly and Vick belong with one another.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
And I say that knowing full well that as you read this, JaMarcus Russell is likely somewhere scarfing down hot wings at an all-you-can-eat buffet while wearing $2 million in designer jewelry.

Worthless without accompanying 40. :harumph:

And:

"No, no, no; JWhit is a moron who doesn't know jack shit and should STFU unless it suits my agenda of front office worship".

-Convienent Man of Chiefs Planet.

'Kay? Thx/Bye! :thumb:

Brock
07-01-2010, 01:33 PM
"The Avon Barksdale of football"? Like hell.

Just Passin' By
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
And we wonder why NFL management (Jeff Ireland) chooses to ignore common decency and bombard young black kids (Dez Bryant) with insulting pre-draft questions.

“One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

One longtime NFL scout insisted that Gerhart’s skin color will likely prevent the Pac-10’s offensive player of the year from being drafted in Thursday’s first round.

“He’ll be a great second-round pickup for somebody, but I guarantee you if he was the exact same guy – but he was black – he’d go in the first round for sure,” the scout said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-gerhartstereotype042010

FFS, even in an editorial where he's making some valid points, the guy screws the pooch.

Jethopper
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Jason Whitlock reminds me of this thing Mel Gibson once said......

siberian khatru
07-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Does Jason still work for the Star? It's been more than month since his last column there.

kysirsoze
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Not bad. Of course he has a pretty easy target. He should have written this before the nightclub incident. Most of it was just as true then.

Plus the Jeff Ireland thing is just ridiculous to bring up.

Extra Point
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
JWhit making sense? Unbelievable!!!!

But, true!

RedNFeisty
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
This might be one of the best pieces I have read from Whitlock. Kudos Jason!!

Bane
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Did Mel Gibson write this?
Posted via Mobile Device

LaChapelle
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Mike Mendon Indian Grove
Musselfork Bynumville Grand Center
Ardmore Darksville

TheGuardian
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't know if there was anything more pathetic than the football mental midgets who thought Vick was going to be the Michael Jordan of football.

KcMizzou
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Well said. :clap:

SAUTO
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Worthless without accompanying 40. :harumph:

And:

"No, no, no; JWhit is a moron who doesn't know jack shit and should STFU unless it suits my agenda of front office worship".

-Convienent Man of Chiefs Planet.

'Kay? Thx/Bye! :thumb:

what the fuck does this mean?

i usually totally dissgree with whitlock. i think he embellishes a shit ton. i also think pioli is in his head. i think its pretty childish in the way hes acted since they dont just GIVE him articles since the waters incident BUT in this case i agree with him.

the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't know if there was anything more pathetic than the football mental midgets who thought Vick was going to be the Michael Jordan of football.

Well, there was a time there, around his 2nd or 3rd season, when he truly was electrifying. Its sad he wasted his talent, and basically football became secondary to other interests.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
what the fuck does this mean?

i usually totally dissgree with whitlock. i think he embellishes a shit ton. i also think pioli is in his head. i think its pretty childish in the way hes acted since they dont just GIVE him articles since the waters incident BUT in this case i agree with him.

the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, yes; JWhit is fine when he's not taking the Chiefs front office to task, when he doles out the rare praise to said office, and when he's going "Full Cosby" on a degenerate athlete.

Thank you for proving my point, and good day.:thumb:

Otter
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Jason Whitlock reminds me of this thing Mel Gibson once said......

You're going to burn JW's house down after he blows you?

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Surprisingly, I was actually nodding my head in agreement near the end there. Philadelphia is America's shithole. Philly and Vick belong with one another.
Oakland is the shithole, but Philly is the armpit. Best Jwhit article I can recall reading.

Useful Idiot
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
it's just another shit article written by the dauerrassist.

but thanks for reminding everyone that you are black Jason. Now go get aids, jump in a fire and die.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 02:22 PM
it's just another shit article written by the dauerrassist.

but thanks for reminding everyone that you are black Jason. Now go get aids, jump in a fire and die.

WTF?

SAUTO
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, yes; JWhit is fine when he's not taking the Chiefs front office to task, when he doles out the rare praise to said office, and when he's going "Full Cosby" on a degenerate athlete.

Thank you for proving my point, and good day.:thumb:

i could give a fuck if he bashes or praises our front office.

he's a shit stirrer, just this time IMO he's right

Useful Idiot
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I just can't stand this clown's constant need to bring race into EVERYTHING. He seriously is incapable of writing one article without mentioning his race.

I dont really care if he is butt-hurt about McNabb. McNabb is a commodity, as is every other NFL player. McNabb is/was a buisness decision. An aging QB, who seemingly breaks down every year, and couldn't get the job done in his prime. I think Philly made the right football decision for Philly.

but, of course, Whitlock makes it a race issue.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I just can't stand this clown's constant need to bring race into EVERYTHING. He seriously is incapable of writing one article without mentioning his race.

I dont really care if he is butt-hurt about McNabb. McNabb is a commodity, as is every other NFL player. McNabb is/was a buisness decision. An aging QB, who seemingly breaks down every year, and couldn't get the job done in his prime. I think Philly made the right football decision for Philly.

but, of course, Whitlock makes it a race issue.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying, didn't kow what you were saying.
Yeah, race is a card played by JWhit and others because right now this country caters to and accepts that form of behavior.
Problem is while we are trying to give billions of dollars in reparations to the black farmers association for alleged violations that occurred against people who have long since died we are ignoring the real, pressing issues in this country.
We need change.

Demonpenz
07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I just think Vick is more fun to root for.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
i could give a fuck if he bashes or praises our front office.

he's a shit stirrer, just this time IMO he's right

Look; I'll call Boss Chief over to fetch us some Sake, and we'll sit down and discuss this until we're good and drunk.

TheGuardian
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, there was a time there, around his 2nd or 3rd season, when he truly was electrifying. Its sad he wasted his talent, and basically football became secondary to other interests.

Why? Because he ran real fast? The guy could never hit the broad side of a barn with the football throwing it. Run around QB's have never impressed me and they have never won shit in the NFL. And eventually defenses figure you out. If you can't win throwing the ball from the pocket eventually you'll flame out in the NFL.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Why? Because he ran real fast? The guy could never hit the broad side of a barn with the football throwing it. Run around QB's have never impressed me and they have never won shit in the NFL. And eventually defenses figure you out. If you can't win throwing the ball from the pocket eventually you'll flame out in the NFL.

Agreed. There was never a single minute that I EVER wanted Vick to QB my team. Vick was 50% hype and benefited greatly from the city in which he played.

Demonpenz
07-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Doug Williams won a superbowl

TheGuardian
07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Doug Williams won a superbowl

And he was a pocket passer.

RippedmyFlesh
07-02-2010, 10:55 PM

And that is the best thing McNabb did. He transitioned from a running occasional drop back qb to an NFL qb. I am hard pressed to think of any running qb in college who turned out as good as McNabb as a pocket passer.

Consistent1
07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
And he was a pocket passer.

And you can't compare guys like that to Vick that changed
the way the Madden game was played with his skills. First in with Vick is innocent, hope he starts for Philly, and proves all you hatin'-ass racist fools wrong. Can't believe I beat Hootie to it.

milkman
07-03-2010, 04:37 AM

This.

BigRichard
07-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Did Jason forget about this part of the Dez story?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nnbin&hpt=Sbin

Even in the no-holds-barred world of the NFL, where a head coach can get a free pass after using the female pronoun her to describe a male player, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland took a moon leap out of bounds when he asked Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant during a pre-draft interview if the player's mother used to be a prostitute.

Or did he?

Two sources familiar with the situation contend that Ireland's question was nothing more than the logical follow-up to comments Bryant had made about his family. According to the sources, Ireland began the meeting by asking Bryant, 21, about his upbringing and his relationship with his siblings. Then he asked what Bryant's father did for a living when Bryant was growing up. The following exchange allegedly ensued:

"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Ireland apologized Tuesday for asking what has been described as a classless, offensive and potentially illegal question. But if the incident went down as described by two members of the Dolphins organization, Bryant should be the next to repent because there was no need for this story to go from a controlled burn to a raging wildfire.

Ireland simply connected the dots given to him by Bryant. Could he have been more tactful with his question? Absolutely. He could have gotten around the controversy by asking: What type of work did your mother do for your father? But Bryant also could have been clearer with his message. The anger and outrage he expressed to Yahoo! Sports over the incident has as much to do with the word picture he painted as it does with Ireland's conclusion.

Bryant could not be reached for comment, and his agent, Eugene Parker, did not return a phone message. As for the Dolphins, majority owner Stephen Ross said he will investigate the 40-year-old Ireland's handling of the interview process. But you can best believe that if it had gone down the way Bryant has led some to believe, get-tough commissioner Roger Goodell would be out front protecting the integrity of the shield. Instead, his office has said the Dolphins are handling the matter.

"Jeff Ireland is a classy, classy kid," said one GM, speaking on the condition his name not be used. "Do I think he made a mistake asking that question? Yeah. Even if I knew it was true, I could never ask a kid that. But I have to tell you that the story going hard around the Combine -- and everybody heard it whether it was true or not -- was that his mother was a prostitute and his father was her pimp. That doesn't make it right, but that stuff was out there."

Teams spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each year on background checks on prospective draft choices, particularly those who could go high in the first round. Bryant was red-flagged by multiple teams because of what they described as a "shaky" family situation -- his mother, Angela, served 18 months for selling crack cocaine -- his anger issues as a youngster and his habitual tardiness. He also was suspended by the NCAA for all but three games last season for lying about his relationship with former NFL great Deion Sanders.

Did Ireland know about Bryant's background before he asked the question about Bryant's mother? He should have. If he didn't, he or the team's private investigators and college scouts should be dismissed immediately. So why even go there? Some believe he may have wanted to see whether Bryant would answer honestly. Or perhaps he wanted to gauge the player's reaction to an incendiary question. Only Ireland and the Dolphins know, and the GM couldn't be reached for comment.

One thing that cannot be disputed, however, is that Ireland was hired by Bill Parcells, a man who was notorious for pushing players' buttons during his 19-year head-coaching career. While with the Patriots he went so far as to refer to wideout Terry Glenn as "she" during a media session. It would be foolish to think that Parcells had no input in the line of questioning. As another GM pointed out, teams generally go over their questions before bringing in a prospect to make sure they're on the same page.

"This kid may have led the league in [pre-draft] visits," one GM said of Bryant. "He was pounded by clubs. But I haven't heard about anybody else asking the type of question about the mother that the Dolphins did, so that tells you that no one else felt comfortable about going that road. You hear about all types of crazy questions being asked, but this is really the first time where there was something as insensitive as this. I'm sure Jeff wasn't the only one in the room. I wish somebody else had said, 'You know what? We don't need to go there.' "

But what if Bryant took them there? I would have connected the dots in the same way that Ireland did based on what Bryant allegedly said. Bottom line: There's a major difference between asking a logical follow-up and knowingly wrapping an insensitive and incendiary accusation in the form of a question. Ireland, I believe, asked a logical follow-up question that was coated with neither malice nor prejudice.