PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Suck it, haters! Phils coming back!!!

BossChief
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/100701philjacksontoreturn.html

Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Phil Jackson has decided to return to coach the team for the 2010-11 season, it was announced today.

“Count me in,” said Jackson. “After a couple weeks of deliberation, it is time to get back to the challenge of putting together a team that can defend its title in the 2010-11 season. It’ll be the last stand for me, and I hope a grand one.”

Jackson, who most recently guided the Lakers to the 2010 NBA Championship, their second in a row, has won five titles as head coach of the Lakers. Overall, Jackson has guided his teams to eleven NBA Championships, the most of any coach in NBA history.

A member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, Jackson established a new Lakers franchise record for regular season victories earlier this year, earning his 534th career victory with a win over the Charlotte Hornets on February 3. The fastest coach to 1,000 career victories, his total of 1,098 regular season wins ranks him fifth all-time while his .705 winning percentage is the best in league history. Additionally, Jackson ranks first all-time in NBA postseason history with a .697 winning percentage (225-98). His 225 playoff victories are also the highest postseason win total for any head coach in league history.

“We’re extremely pleased that Phil has decided to return,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “With this most recent championship, we’ve now won five titles in the ten years he’s been our head coach and have been to the Finals in seven of those ten years, which is amazing. He’s not only the best coach for this team, but quite simply the best coach in the history of the NBA.”

Gonzo
07-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Yawn....

So, I shot an 82 today and drove two 300+ yard par 4's.

DJ's left nut
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
And you know they promised Bryan Shaw the gig after Phil leaves.

There's no way he pulls out of the Cleveland running if he doesn't have the Lakers job in his back pocket down the road.

Frankie
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
And you know they promised Bryan Shaw the gig after Phil leaves.

There's no way he pulls out of the Cleveland running if he doesn't have the Lakers job in his back pocket down the road.

I always thought (for no solid reason) that Kurt Rambis would be the Lakers' next coach. But did he not get hired by another NBA team last year? If he did, how did he do?

Brock
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I always thought (for no solid reason) that Kurt Rambis would be the Lakers' next coach. But did he not get hired by another NBA team last year? If he did, how did he do?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kurt+rambis

pr_capone
07-01-2010, 04:01 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kurt+rambis

:D

Hammock Parties
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Damn, I was hoping Phobia was coming back.

pr_capone
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM

I though he would be made the full time coach after being the interim in the 98-99 season.

And yes, he is the HC of the Mavs.

kcxiv
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
i am pretty sure he's the coach of the timberwolves unless they fired him this offseason. Rambis has to rebuild that team, they have little to no talent right now. McHale messed that team all up.

88TG88
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd rather have Kurt than Shaw.

Kurt has been around Kobe and the Lakers for 20+ years. What is Shaw's current position now anyways ?

kcxiv
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Shaw is the assistant head coach. If Phil were to get thrown out of a game, it would be Shaw's team.

Frankie
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd rather have Kurt than Shaw.

Kurt has been around Kobe and the Lakers for 20+ years. What is Shaw's current position now anyways ?

I remember KR as a solid hustling blue collar type player. Based on that memory, I agree with you.

Bowser
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Yawn....

So, I shot an 82 today and drove two 300+ yard par 4's.Front or back 9?

DJ's left nut
07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Shaw was a great leader on the floor and has spent many many years in the Triangle. He's a dynamic personality and he's very intelligent.

Meanwhile, Rambis was pretty awful in his short stint as the interim coach and he's not been great with the Wolves, though he certainly had a bit of a hill to climb.

Based on what I've seen from them on the bench, their careers and their respective track records, I think Rambis has the potential to be an average coach for a few years. I think Shaw has the potential to be the next Doc Rivers.

I'll take Shaw every time. Sure, Rambis was a hustler and a great Laker, but Shaw strikes me as far more creative and dynamic as a leader. Shaw has been Phil's #2 guy for a while now and if Jackson trusts him, he's clearly doing something right.

I look forward to the Shaw era in Lakerland.

DaneMcCloud
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I look forward to the Shaw era in Lakerland.

+ 20 million

ChiefsCountry
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Too bad the Lakers old coach is going to get them in the Finals this year. :)

Gonzo
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
+ 20 million

Get back to work, slacker...
;)
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
07-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Meh, ok.

When are the Pacers gonna be good again?

Ebolapox
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I actually don't give a fuck (/ty cobb)

L.A. Chieffan
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
if it wasnt for mj, phil would have 0 titles and probaby be homeless methhead living in new mexico or something

L.A. Chieffan
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
id rather have scott than shaw or kurt

DJ's left nut
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
id rather have scott than shaw or kurt

I don't understand the Scott love.

He's managed to alienate every team he's ever coached. He's also managed to not win anything with Chris Paul and Jason Kidd at the point.

I think he's a fine coach, but Shaw has the chance to be truly excellent. I just don't see that with Scott.

Why take known mediocrity when you have a chance at a great one?

DJ's left nut
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
if it wasnt for mj, phil would have 0 titles and probaby be homeless methhead living in new mexico or something

I think you misspelled Tex Winter.

The Triangle Offense is truly remarkable. The combination of Phil and Tex was going to win a championship somewhere, with or without MJ.

I don't worship at the altar of Phil by any means, but he's an excellent manager of egos and has been instrumental in the development of easily the best offense in the league.

Sooner or later, he and Tex would've won a title. Would it have been enough to land him the Laker gig? Maybe, maybe not. But I'll say this - without Phil Jackson, Kobe doesn't win a title without Shaq. Jackson has made Kobe a far far better player.

L.A. Chieffan
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
scott is a laker great and a damn good coach. two finals appearances (and almost won against spurs), coach of the year award, and a shitload more experience coaching than the other two. i didnt even realize the cavs hired him til just now. if lebron is there i guarantee he (scott not lbj) takes them to the finals.

Frankie
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I actually don't give a **** (/ty cobb)

Which brings back the old often asked question, "then what the hell are you doing in this thread?!"

Ebolapox
07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
clearly, whatever the fuck I want to do. free country and all.

BWillie
07-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Yawn....

So, I shot an 82 today and drove two 300+ yard par 4's.

LOL whut? Where'd u play

Psyko Tek
07-02-2010, 12:54 AM
the coach after the zen bastard will be alvin gentry
just to fuck up the suns more

88TG88
07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't understand the Scott love.

He's managed to alienate every team he's ever coached. He's also managed to not win anything with Chris Paul and Jason Kidd at the point.

I think he's a fine coach, but Shaw has the chance to be truly excellent. I just don't see that with Scott.

Why take known mediocrity when you have a chance at a great one?

That might be true, but I don't see where you're getting this. What is his specific role on the team that has improved since he joined.

Miles
07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Meh, ok.

When are the Pacers gonna be good again?

Granger is a seriously good player but they haven't managed to build around him. They took two very high upside but also high risk of bust guys this draft.

BossChief
07-04-2010, 09:04 AM
You know who I think will be an excellent coach one day (if he decides to go that direction)

Derrick Fisher