PDA

View Full Version : Football RIP Don Coryell

Buck
07-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Link to follow

Al Bundy
07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, R.I.P. The day he took over San Diego wasn't that the day those 2 planes collided over San Diego.

Bane
07-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Rip.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, R.I.P. The day he took over San Diego wasn't that the day those 2 planes collided over San Diego.

I'm not sure but that was a pretty fucked up crash. A small propeller plane was flying around a restricted area that was right in the landing path of the huge commuter jets.

Also I heard this reported on XX1090 AM in San Diego. Have yet to find a link.

RNR
07-01-2010, 07:04 PM
If true it is a loss of a great NFL mind. Never read a bad word about him as a person~

FAX
07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I guess his career is probably over.

Seriously, though. It's a sad day. Coryell was a true innovator and his impact on the game will reverberate forever, probably. Rest in peace, coach.

FAX

Hammock Parties
07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I think you can say he contributed as much as anyone towards making the game entertaining as hell.

Buck
07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
From Wikipedia:

Coryell's direct development of future coaches included Super Bowl head coaches John Madden and Joe Gibbs, Super Bowl offensive coordinators Ernie Zampese and Al Saunders, as well as Jim Hanifan and Rod Dowhower. Adding to the Coryell coaching tree, Super Bowl offensive coordinator Norv Turner tutored under Zampese, and another Super Bowl offensive coordinator Mike Martz studied under both Zampese and later Turner [10]. Dan Henning coached under Gibbs.

Fouts says, "He influenced offensive and defensive football because if you are going to have three or four receivers out there, you better have an answer for it on the other side of the ball. If it wasn't for Don, I wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame [11]."

In John Madden's Hall of Fame induction speech, Madden mentioned his time at San Diego State "with a great coach that someday will be in here, Don Coryell. He had a real influence on my coaching. Joe Gibbs was on that staff, too[12]."

Gibbs also lobbied for Coryell's induction into the Hall of Fame, stating "(Coryell) was extremely creative and fostered things that are still in today's game because he was so creative. I think he's affected a lot of coaches, and I'd like to see him get in.[13] "

"Don is the father of the modern passing game. People talk about the 'West Coast' offense, but Don started the 'West Coast' decades ago and kept updating it. You look around the NFL now, and so many teams are running a version of the Coryell offense. Coaches have added their own touches, but it's still Coryell's offense. He has disciples all over the league. He changed the game," adds Martz [11]

Bowser
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, the NFL owes him a debt of gratitude. RIP

Hammock Parties
07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
John Madden, Don Coryell and Joe Gibbs on the same staff.

How many games did they lose?

RNR
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I guess his career is probably over.

Seriously, though. It's a sad day. Coryell was a true innovator and his impact on the game will reverberate forever, probably. Rest in peace, coach.

FAX

Many feel he was a Sid Gillman (sp) knock off. He took the basic concepts of Sid and took them to a new level. Hell Al. Davis ripped off Sid's playbook and added some minor changes. Coryell was a heck of a coach and it is surprising he did not end up with a ring~

FAX
07-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Many feel he was a Sid Gillman (sp) knock off. He took the basic concepts of Sid and took them to a new level. Hell Al. Davis ripped off Sid's playbook and added some minor changes. Coryell was a heck of a coach and it is surprising he did not end up with a ring~

Sid was well before my time, but based on what I've read, it seems like he sort of charcoal sketched on the canvas, whereas Coryell added paint in color and with detail, Mr. RedNeckRaider.

Philosophically, they were simpatico, though. No question about it. I read somewhere that Coryell's tree lives in Gilman's forest. That's probably a pretty good way of phrasing it.

FAX

cdcox
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Great coach and innovator. RIP.

RNR
07-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Sid was well before my time, but based on what I've read, it seems like he sort of charcoal sketched on the canvas, whereas Coryell added paint in color and with detail, Mr. RedNeckRaider.

Philosophically, they were simpatico, though. No question about it. I read somewhere that Coryell's tree lives in Gilman's forest. That's probably a pretty good way of phrasing it.

FAX
I was but a pup when the chain smoking "Sid" (three packs a day it is reported) roamed the sidelines. He was on the front lines of a wild new type of football called the AFL. His vision of the game spawned much of what we watch today. Granted his vision was driven by a lesser talent pool.

The well established NFL with a superior talent pool practiced 3 yards and a cloud of dust. They felt three things can happen when you throw the football and two of them are bad (interception or incompletion) As the talent started being more equally distributed the game evolved to the air. Coryell was part of the new guard that raised the bar in this evolution. He ranks with Paul Brown as people who IMO are underrated as far as their impact on the game~

RJ
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Don Coryell = fun football.

RIP.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow, RIP.....his stuff still influences the game today.

siberian khatru
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I was a huge Cardinals fan as a kid in the 70s. Had a poster of Jim Hart in my bedroom. Those teams were fun (and frustrating) to watch. GREAT offensive line (Banks, Finney, Dierdorf, Young, Dobler), Metcalf, Otis, Gray, Bakken, Wehrli ... Cardiac Cards.

RIP, Don. Wish you'd had a defense back then.

milkman
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I was but a pup when the chain smoking "Sid" (three packs a day it is reported) roamed the sidelines. He was on the front lines of a wild new type of football called the AFL. His vision of the game spawned much of what we watch today. Granted his vision was driven by a lesser talent pool.

The well established NFL with a superior talent pool practiced 3 yards and a cloud of dust. They felt three things can happen when you throw the football and two of them are bad (interception or incompletion) As the talent started being more equally distributed the game evolved to the air. Coryell was part of the new guard that raised the bar in this evolution. He ranks with Paul Brown as people who IMO are underrated as far as their impact on the game~

Gillman's offense actually encompassed both the Coryell and Walsh philosophies.

Walsh and Coryell took seperate aspects of the broader passing game that Gillman utilized and refined them.

But as for Coryell, after years of being the guy directing the passing, he finally did his own.

RIP.

RNR
07-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Gillman's offense actually encompassed both the Coryell and Walsh philosophies.

Walsh and Coryell took seperate aspects of the broader passing game that Gillman utilized and refined them.

But as for Coryell, after years of being the guy directing the passing, he finally did his own.

RIP.

True Coryell and Davis streched it and Walsh shortened it. Back to the thread, the NFL lost a great~

KCrockaholic
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
RIP Air Coryell....One of the greats IMO.

Ebolapox
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
RIP... there should be a wing of the HOF for guys like coryell, dick lebeau (not for his playing, ftr), steve tasker (best special teams player of all-time, arguably), etc.

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 05:40 AM
RIP Don Coryell. I appreciated the Fouts led Chargers, even though I hated them at the time. I can still remember Don roaming the sidelines of those teams, like it was yesterday. Al Saunders coming to KC gave me even more of an insight into Don Coryell's genius.

Amnorix
07-02-2010, 06:19 AM
RIP. Great coach. I used to love watching those Chargers teams and was rooting for them since the Patriots weren't a threat to win anything back then.

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I can't believe this guy isn't in the HOF already. What a sham.

38yrsfan
07-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Air Coryell is a fitting legacy for a class act coach.

RIP

Gadzooks
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I can't believe this guy isn't in the HOF already. What a sham.

This.
RIP.

Micjones
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Just heard he passed (no pun intended).
Rest in peace to a great offensive mind.

seclark
07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I was a huge Cardinals fan as a kid in the 70s. Had a poster of Jim Hart in my bedroom. Those teams were fun (and frustrating) to watch. GREAT offensive line (Banks, Finney, Dierdorf, Young, Dobler), Metcalf, Otis, Gray, Bakken, Wehrli ... Cardiac Cards.

RIP, Don. Wish you'd had a defense back then.

same here...my first favorite football team. it seemed like for about 3 years, those game always went down to the final minute.
sec

DJ's left nut
07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure but that was a pretty ****ed up crash. A small propeller plane was flying around a restricted area that was right in the landing path of the huge commuter jets.

Also I heard this reported on XX1090 AM in San Diego. Have yet to find a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

milkman
07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
True Coryell and Davis streched it and Walsh shortened it. Back to the thread, the NFL lost a great~

That's a perfect description in it's simplicity.

milkman
07-02-2010, 08:00 PM
RIP... there should be a wing of the HOF for guys like coryell, dick lebeau (not for his playing, ftr), steve tasker (best special teams player of all-time, arguably), etc.

Don't forget Jim Johnson, and really, Bud Carson, as well.

Ebolapox
07-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Don't forget Jim Johnson, and really, Bud Carson, as well.

true. true. and I'm sure COUNTLESS other unappreciated guys who the vet committee would never even get the chance to vote in.

boogblaster
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
RIP .. a real good football coach ....

Quesadilla Joe
07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Classy move: The Broncos sent a representative to today's memorial service to pay the organization's respect to Coryell.

https://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/status/18384087528

:)

Ebolapox
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM

who gives a fuck?

Gadzooks
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

:rolleyes:
The Donks have never had "class" and continue their tradition with pride.

Buck
07-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Go fuck yourself.