PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto 160 mph in a new R/T Challenger

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Wish we had an Autobahn. :D Audio not totally safe for work.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTMpDnATsQ4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTMpDnATsQ4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
07-02-2010, 02:52 PM
heh, Im gonna guess him filming his driving while doing 160MPH and trying to keep the car on the road isnt the smartest thing in the world?

suds79
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Wish you had more video their of just how fast stuff is passing you by but of course you have to document the speed.

You're crazy man.... Just try not to kill anybody or yourself.

And next time take that stuff to a track. There's plenty of stuff like that out there if you want to cut it loose.

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Lets take it to the track, Hemi-Boy

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eWOhtoaBWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eWOhtoaBWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I kinda like this video too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TpV46m05so&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TpV46m05so&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bugeater
07-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Hmmm...something doesn't add up. When he shows all the traffic around him he's still doing 100 mph, but he doesn't seem to be closing in on them at all. Is that the normal rate of speed on the Autobahn? He also seemed to get that thing slowed down from 120 awfully quickly to make that turn...

But yeah, the guy's an idiot for trying to operate the camera while driving at those speeds...and I am not impressed with his trash talking.

suds79
07-02-2010, 03:08 PM
You know I didn't think about it much until Bugeater mentioned it but check out around the 1 min mark. At that time he's doing slightly over 100 and you can see the cars ahead of him. He's not really gaining on them at all.

Is everybody driving 100 on this road? :hmmm:

Something fishy here. You called it Bugeater.

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
You know I didn't think about it much until Bugeater mentioned it but check out around the 1 min mark. At that time he's doing slightly over 100 and you can see the cars ahead of him. He's not really gaining on them at all.

Is everybody driving 100 on this road? :hmmm:

Something fishy here. You called it Bugeater.

Well, if it's an Autobahn i'd assume most people probably are doing 100

Pants
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Yeap.

suds79
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Okay didn't put together that this was filmed there.

I stand corrected.

talastan
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Gawd I want one of these cars!! I got to drive my dad's 1970 Dodge Challenger in High School. Racing Orange! Won a few street races and got a lot of speeding tickets in that car. :D

Radar Chief
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Hmmm...something doesn't add up. When he shows all the traffic around him he's still doing 100 mph, but he doesn't seem to be closing in on them at all. Is that the normal rate of speed on the Autobahn? He also seemed to get that thing slowed down from 120 awfully quickly to make that turn...

But yeah, the guy's an idiot for trying to operate the camera while driving at those speeds...and I am not impressed with his trash talking.

~80-90 MPH, about like a wide open interstate here, but yea he doesn't seem to be exactly running anyone down at 100.

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Yep, I made several business trips to Germany a few years ago. Those speeds are pretty normal.

I overslept one morning after a night of enjoying German brew, and the driver (with his wife darning his socks in the back seat ROFL) got me to the airport in plenty of time, with most of the trip on the autobahn.

He was driving a Skoda, and had that metric speedo pegged much of the time. I was looking for grab handles, and his wife never looked up, that I noticed. That part just blew me away.

Pants
07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Yep, I made several business trips to Germany a few years ago. Those speeds are pretty normal.

I overslept one morning after a night of enjoying German brew, and the driver (with his wife darning his socks in the back seat ROFL) got me to the airport in plenty of time, with most of the trip on the autobahn.

He was driving a Skoda, and had that metric speedo pegged much of the time. I was looking for grab handles, and his wife never looked up, that I noticed. That part just blew me away.

Of course it takes A LOT more to get a DL over there than it does here. They give that shit away like candy here. Autobahns would be suicide roads over here in the states with the current driver's license dispensing system.

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 03:21 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eWOhtoaBWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eWOhtoaBWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

1/8th mile never did much for me, the guy driving the white Challenger had a cheeseburger.

Radar Chief
07-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeap.

Some will go faster but you figure most Germans are driving 4 cylinder Opals and BMW's that will do 90 all day but are running out of steam when run >100.
You'll get the occasional Porsche out there letting it loose but most aren't running quite that fast.
Having said that, I topped my 600R Ninja out at 140 on the Autobahn one day and watched a Ferrari 308 Quattro walk away from me.

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 03:22 PM
1/8th mile never did much for me, the guy driving the white Challenger had a cheeseburger.

Or forgot how to shift. Either way, LS1 1----Hemi 0

Bugeater
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM

That's crazy. I knew the potential for those speeds were there, but I didn't know it was standard practice. Hell there was a semi in one of the shots of the road that was going nearly as fast as he was. And yes, those speeds are unnerving, I've only done 100 mph a few times and it's pretty intense. But then again, I was doing it on roads that weren't really designed for those speeds.

Hydrae
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I haven't seen the video (at work, can't stream) but from the comments, is this guy XXX? Does he drive it off a bridge at the end of the clip? :LOL:

Radar Chief
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Of course it takes A LOT more to get a DL over there than it does here. They give that shit away like candy here. Autobahns would be suicide roads over here in the states with the current driver's license dispensing system.

That's no shit. And if a German loses their license they have to go through the whole process all over again.

seclark
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
heh, Im gonna guess him filming his driving while doing 160MPH and trying to keep the car on the road isnt the smartest thing in the world?

helmet cam?

Radar Chief
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
That's crazy. I knew the potential for those speeds were there, but I didn't know it was standard practice. Hell there was a semi in one of the shots of the road that was going nearly as fast as he was. And yes, those speeds are unnerving, I've only done 100 mph a few times and it's pretty intense. But then again, I was doing it on roads that weren't really designed for those speeds.

The Autobahn is different though. Germans spend a lot of money keeping it smooth, well maintained.

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 03:27 PM

I have read several of a German guys posts on one of the Challenger forums.

When he first got the car, he was complaining about the stock tries at above 140 mph (car has a stock shut off at 137, but the Predator tuner he is talking about eliminates that) and he was complaining about the brakes.

He was going to put Brembo brakes on it, similar to the Viper and SRT8, and different tires.

Like Metrolike says, it is a whole different ball game over there. I think the brakes are outstanding myself.

ModSocks
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I have read several of a German guys posts on one of the Challenger forums.

When he first got the car, he was complaining about the stock tries at above 140 mph (car has a stock shut off at 137, but the Predator tuner he is talking about eliminates that) and he was complaining about the brakes.

He was going to put Brembo brakes on it, similar to the Viper and SRT8, and different tires.

Like Metrolike says, it is a whole different ball game over there. I think the brakes are outstanding myself.

to my understanding, most production cars are governed based off the tire ratings. If the tire is rated at 140 MPH, the car will be governed to not exceed that speed.

New tires, remove governer and fly baby fly!

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 03:44 PM
to my understanding, most production cars are governed based off the tire ratings. If the tire is rated at 140 MPH, the car will be governed to not exceed that speed.

New tires, remove governer and fly baby fly!

I think you are exactly right, I believe the standard tires on the R/T are rated for 140 mph.

The SRT tires are rated much higher, and the car is set to quit accelerating at 170. Gary Scelzi had a video out, doing just that at Bonneville.

I put the SRT wheels and tires and suspension on mine, and have the predator tuner, but those high speeds don't interest me.

GoHuge
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
2010 Camaro SS yawns.............

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
2010 Camaro SS yawns.............

ROFL There are many stories as the Challenger winning, as the Camaro. They are virtually the same, and it usually comes down to the driver.

They both weigh almost the same, and the true HP is actually very close, never mind what the factory says for insurance, and sales purposes.

Go to Challengerforumz.com or Challengertalk.com where many of the owners hang out, and many race them. There is plenty of actual documentation, and some actually own both cars.

TrebMaxx
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Easy to win when you red light the tree. But then again, I guess you don't win if you red light.

TrebMaxx
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
When I lived over the pond in Germany I rented a BMW 7 series and had it up to 170+ on the bahn. My wife's (ex-now) parents were in the car at the time. Scared the shit out of em'.

Miles
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
The Autobahn is different though. Germans spend a lot of money keeping it smooth, well maintained.

Not having large/heavy long haul trucks on the road also helps a ton to keep the surface in better shape.

Bugeater
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Not having large/heavy long haul trucks on the road also helps a ton to keep the surface in better shape.
There's one @ 1:18 in the video.

Dave Lane
07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I had a 68 charger R/T with a 426 hemi I built up as a kid and I did 140 on I35 one time and almost shit a brick, course that was before radial tires and the most minor curve caused major tire squeal.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I did 110 in a Dodge Dakota 4x4 once. Not my brightest move.

HemiEd
07-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I had a 68 charger R/T with a 426 hemi I built up as a kid and I did 140 on I35 one time and almost shit a brick, course that was before radial tires and the most minor curve caused major tire squeal.Would love to see some pictures of that car.

I can't get my youtube account to come up, but that Bullit car chase with the Charger comes to mind.

brorth
07-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I kinda like this video too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TpV46m05so&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TpV46m05so&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8TbMRHdSlo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8TbMRHdSlo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Radar Chief
07-03-2010, 07:22 AM

They have the big trucks but they are Isuzu's and Mercedes, it's rare to see one the size of a Mack or Peterbilt over there.

Stanley Nickels
07-03-2010, 10:12 AM
130 in my '93 Nissan Maxima. I was 16, and almost ended my life at that age, in hindsight.

Old Dog
07-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Had a Ducati at 140 in 98 between K-town and Bonn. Looking back, that was probably the dumbest thing I have ever done, or at least really close to it.
Told a buddy I didn't think we ought be doing over 100 and he told me, "The only real difference is do they pick up the pieces or use a squeegee if you **** up". Balls won out over rode brains and I decided to keep up with him.

stumppy
07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I've ran a few Vipers up around 150 / 160 mph . Took a twin turbo Stealth up to about 140 mph. The Stealth was what I would call zippy fast. The Vipers have a way of reminding you theres nothing like good old American muscle car horsepower.

joesomebody
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Dad has a 70 Challenger R/T and a 69 Superbee. In my opinion, though to my knowledge he's never raced them, the Challenger has way more acceleration, but the Superbee would probably take flight before it reached it's top speed.

It's amazing how close the gears are on the 70 Challenger. I grew up with modern 5 speeds, and trying to drive that, it feels like there's less than a cm between the gears when shifting.

Obviously the Challenger is much easier to handle at high speeds. As beautiful as a superbee is, it's a bit of a land yacht compared to the Challenger.

rtmike
07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Easy to win when you red light the tree. But then again, I guess you don't win if you red light.

Good eye, hadn't noticed that.

Is that even an RT Challenger? Maybe the author of the video called it that to talk up his brother's Chicken. I know besides sound of course, visual appearance is similar.

Of course those Firechicken's were under appreciated.

A new V6 powered Chally @ some dealership.
http://1.photos2.ebizautos.com/1070/5678299/5678299_1.jpg

gblowfish
07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
My wife wants one of these. They have a purple one with white stripes at Landmark Dodge here in Independence.

It's pretty bitchin. but I think I like the black Camaro in front of Dahmer Chevy better.

rtmike
07-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I pretty much bleed Mopar blue but if I were to buy any of the 3 it'd be a Mustang. :facepalm:

Barret
07-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Just got my new 2011 Mustang GT on Friday. The rain finally let up enough so I can get some pictures. I am liking the power so far. Impressed with fit and finish and better interior. I think Ford has stepped it up a bit from several years ago.