PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink In-N-Out Is Out!

gblowfish
07-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Too much of a good thing? Wish we had In-N-Out here in KC. Good stuff, Maynard!

'In-N-Out' hometown bans new drive-through restaurants
http://tinyurl.com/3aao67x

BALDWIN PARK, Calif. (AP) — The birthplace of California's drive-through craze has had its fill of fast food restaurants.

Amid complaints of obesity and lines of idled cars stretching into neighborhood streets, this blue-collar town is banning new drive-throughs in hopes of shedding its reputation as a haven for convenient, fatty foods.

It's an ironic development for a community that proudly claims to have opened California's first drive-through restaurant more than 60 years ago — a little joint named, appropriately enough, In-N-Out.

"We here in Baldwin Park have taken strides to create a healthy community, and allowing one more drive-through in is not going to meet that goal," said Baldwin Park city planner Salvador Lopez, who helped craft the ordinance that takes effect Fourth of July weekend.

Lopez estimates the town's drive-throughs and liquor stores outnumber sit-down restaurants and grocery stores six to one.

And with 90,000 people crammed into 6.5 square miles, this suburb east of Los Angeles is concerned that its 17 drive-throughs are causing traffic jams stretching outside its parking lots.

Still, this being the semiofficial birthplace of the drive-through fast-food movement, not everyone is happy with the ordinance.

"They ought to put in more drive-throughs, not stop them," said Isaac Colin immediately after ordering burgers and fries for himself and his wife, Christine, at the Baldwin Park In-N-Out. "It's a waste of time getting out of your car, finding a parking spot, going in, ordering your food."

Maybe cities in other states should cut back on drive-throughs, he said, conceding they might cause traffic problems.

"But not here. This is California," he said.

The restaurant he stopped at is a shrine of sorts to drive-through aficionados, located literally a stone's throw from where the original In-N-Out, the one believed to be California's first such eating emporium, was erected in 1948.

"I used to eat at that one, it was right over there," said another customer, Trinidad Zuniga, as he pointed to Interstate 10, the mammoth freeway that runs from the California coastline to Jacksonville, Fla.

That modest first stand, which had no tables or chairs, was torn down some years ago to make way for the freeway.

And although there is no authoritative record-keeping outfit to say it really was California's first drive-through chow palace, In-N-Out says it was and that's good enough for pretty much everyone here.

"Definitely it was the original," said Mayor Manuel Lozano. "It's one of our icons."

Nevertheless, Lopez said, the city needed to cap the drive-through craze that In-N-Out started so many years ago.

The City Council, following the lead of several Canadian municipalities that in recent years have restricted drive-throughs, voted unanimously last month to put a nine-month moratorium on opening any more drive-through restaurants.

That same week, officials opened an outdoor fitness center they say will be dedicated to fighting childhood obesity.

The changes are being welcomed by some residents.

"To be honest, yeah, we have too many drive-throughs," said Fabian Olguin. He works at the barbershop across the street from the In-N-Out and says he's seen traffic back up from its drive-through onto neighboring residential streets.

"Sometimes I can't even get out on the street," he said, adding when that happens he'll walk over to get his fast-food fix from the restaurant's sit-down section.

The ordinance will take effect on a busy holiday weekend when people begin pulling into their local drive-throughs in huge numbers, loading up on things like burgers and fries to take to the beach, said Daniel Conway, a spokesman for the California Restaurant Association.

At this point Conway says his industry group isn't worried it will start a statewide trend.

Just about the same time Baldwin Park adopted its moratorium, the city of San Juan Capistrano, where In-N-Out has been looking to put a restaurant, moved to ease similar restrictions it put in place several years ago.

"I think," Conway said with a laugh, "that the drive-through is in Californians' DNA."

milkman
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
It's a waste of time to park and walk in?

Fucking stupid.

I can get out my car at the drive in restaurants and get back and be on my way wth my food while dumbass waitng in the drive thru hasn't even approached the order speaker thing.

jjjayb
07-03-2010, 02:39 PM
It's a waste of time to park and walk in?

****ing stupid.

I can get out my car at the drive in restaurants and get back and be on my way wth my food while dumbass waitng in the drive thru hasn't even approached the order speaker thing.

The drive through line always moves quicker.

milkman
07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
The drive through line always moves quicker.

Have you been at an In-N-Out here in California?

It might move faster, but when you have 40-45 cars in line and only 10 people in line inside, it doesn't matter.

AndChiefs
07-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Have you been at an In-N-Out here in California?

It might move faster, but when you have 40-45 cars in line and only 10 people in line inside, it doesn't matter.

I have to agree with milkman on this one.

milkman
07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Even in places like Jack in the Box, Burger King, etc, you can go in and get out faster because of the ratio of cars to walk ins.

Rausch
07-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Fucking stupid.

All the problems California has and they legislate fucking fast food...

DaneMcCloud
07-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Fucking stupid.

All the problems California has and they legislate fucking fast food...

It's a single city, not a statewide measure.

When you've got cars lining up in residential neighborhoods for fast food drive-thru restaurants, you've got a problem.

They're not closing existing drive-thru's, they're just not allowing any more to be built. Keep in mind, it's an emissions problem as well.

petegz28
07-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I loves me some In-N-Out burgers!!!1111eleventybillion

But I can say that I went to one in Phoenix that had almost 30 cars in line for the drive-thru. They had a person walking up to the cars to take orders though instead of making you wait to order, which I thought was cool.

So in this time of economic hardship it seems some want to keep new jobs from being created because too many people line up to get the product. STUPID!

BTW, a manager at In-N-Out makes $100k a year. Not only do I love their burgers, but I would be a buger-flipping manager for $100k.

petegz28
07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
It's a single city, not a statewide measure.

When you've got cars lining up in residential neighborhoods for fast food drive-thru restaurants, you've got a problem.

They're not closing existing drive-thru's, they're just not allowing any more to be built. Keep in mind, it's an emissions problem as well.

Of course, more drive-thrus would give the backed up traffic somewhere else to go, would it not?

DaneMcCloud
07-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Of course, more drive-thrus would give the backed up traffic somewhere else to go, would it not?

Not necessarily.

And drive thru's aren't mandatory. When they're blocking traffic, it's an issue, not only with traffic but emissions.

I know a lot of you guys like to laugh at the state of California but there are serious issues here that are borne out of the large populace. When you've got 19 million in Los Angeles alone and 90,000 in Baldwin Park, issues arise due to the population that just don't exist in states like Kansas or Missouri.

And if people aren't willing to get out their cars to get fast food, that's another issue entirely.

HemiEd
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I would weigh 300 lbs. if they had an In-N-Out around here.

Groves
07-03-2010, 05:08 PM
e Jack in the Box

This reminds me. I have a standing offer to give anyone $50 who can open or cause to be opened at least one Jack-in-the-Box restaurant in Springfield, MO.

I'll go $55 even.

Yous guys just put that in your hopper for later on.

07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Hell, I never understood the point of a drive through at a drive in restaurant. I can go to Sonic, park, place my order, pay for my order, leave. All in a matter of about 4 minutes. As I leave I wave at the guy in the drive through that got there before I pulled in and still hasn't gotten to the window to pick up his food.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
going inside has always been a bad experience for me. Usually 4 or 5 cars in the drive-through get their order before me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
In N-Out is losing it's rep in Phoenix. Way overblown say many a folk.

Slainte
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
In N-Out is losing it's rep in Phoenix. Way overblown say many a folk.

Those folk need to experience a firestorm, Dresden-style, ...if you know what I mean...

In-N-Out for the win.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Those folk need to experience a firestorm, Dresden-style, ...if you know what I mean...

In-N-Out for the win.

I like Fuddruckers.