PDA

View Full Version : Life GD Drunk Drivers

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Had one plow through my front lawn around 3:10 this morning. I hoped out of bed and grabbed my wallet & phone and went off after them. Found the car in an apartment complex parking lot torn to shreds.

Called 911, gave the tag number, description of driver, and 40 minutes later not a cop to be found anywhere.

:cuss:

*pics of damage soon to follow

Hammock Parties
07-05-2010, 02:59 AM
How did you track them?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-05-2010, 03:07 AM
You should find yhe guy and cap his ass !

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 03:16 AM
How did you track them?

Saw a car moving very slowly & making a hellacious racket down the street. The car turned into a parking lot. I followed it to the parking lot and saw that the vehicle was in shreds. It matched the parts that were left in my neighbor's driveway.

Honestly, glad she hit a couple of mailboxes and killed some grass as opposed to hitting someone driving down the road

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 03:22 AM
http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/9415/1001113.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3352/1001117p.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8373/1001118o.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/970/1001119i.jpg

Al Bundy
07-05-2010, 07:16 AM
any word from the cops? She did a number on your front yard.

Bwana
07-05-2010, 07:19 AM
WTF? I hope the cops pull their heads out and go after "Daisy Duke."

Simply Red
07-05-2010, 07:21 AM
You should get a Braves mailbox, PR.

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Cops show up at my door 2 hours later. They took my statement and called me 20 minutes later to tell me that they had found that drunk bitch still in the car passed out.

They told me to call tomorrow and find out what she was charged with and get her insurance info so I can process a claim to get my mailbox replaced.

cdcox
07-05-2010, 07:26 AM
You should get a Bwana leaf pile, PR.

FYP.

Simply Red
07-05-2010, 07:27 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/jgl0ty.jpg

Bwana
07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Cops show up at my door 2 hours later. They took my statement and called me 20 minutes later to tell me that they had found that drunk bitch still in the car passed out.

They told me to call tomorrow and find out what she was charged with and get her insurance info so I can process a claim to get my mailbox replaced.

Hmm? Perhaps it's time to beef up the mailbox post a bit. May I be so bold as to toss out an eight inch steel pipe, filled with cement model? :evil:

RedNFeisty
07-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Saw a car moving very slowly & making a hellacious racket down the street. The car turned into a parking lot. I followed it to the parking lot and saw that the vehicle was in shreds. It matched the parts that were left in my neighbor's driveway.

Honestly, glad she hit a couple of mailboxes and killed some grass as opposed to hitting someone driving down the road

Good thing she didn't make it pass the curb into your home. Stupid people deserve no mercy.

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Hmm? Perhaps it's time to beef up the mailbox post a bit. May I be so bold as to toss out an eight inch steel pipe, filled with cement model? :evil:

Meh...

Picked this up for $55. No need to go crazy with things.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AebsRiXIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like it because there is a door on the back so that I don't have to step out into the street to get my stuff.

seclark
07-05-2010, 09:27 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/jgl0ty.jpg

that f@ckin thing would get run over every other night in my area.
sec

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
that f@ckin thing would get run over every other night in my area.
sec

ROFL

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
The problem with that is if your super duper reinforced immovable mailbox caused an injury in any way, you could be held liable. I was going to do something similar when my mother in law was getting her mailbox ran down at the rate of once per year but was advised not to. So instead I bought a small boulder to set next to it, one with a nice sharp point on the top. I figured it was small enough that it wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would at least take out a tire if someone decided to run it down. It's been six years since I did it and that mailbox is still standing. Although it didn't stop someone from crashing into her house a couple years later.

boogblaster
07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Handle all my problems myself ....

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Handle all my problems myself ....

?

Buehler445
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/8/633485591540824622-napalm.jpg

Bwana
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
The problem with that is if your super duper reinforced immovable mailbox caused an injury in any way, you could be held liable. I was going to do something similar when my mother in law was getting her mailbox ran down at the rate of once per year but was advised not to. So instead I bought a small boulder to set next to it, one with a nice sharp point on the top. I figured it was small enough that it wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would at least take out a tire if someone decided to run it down. It's been six years since I did it and that mailbox is still standing. Although it didn't stop someone from crashing into her house a couple years later.

Meh, if they don't want to get hurt, don't run into the fucking mailbox.

Reerun_KC
07-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Meh, if they don't want to get hurt, don't run into the ****ing mailbox.

This, you cant be held liable for someone destroying federal property....

Chiefs Pantalones
07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Drunk drivers should be shot in the face

Pablo
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Drunk drivers should be shot in the faceLMAO

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Al Bundy
07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
This, you cant be held liable for someone destroying federal property....

We have a winner.

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Meh, if they don't want to get hurt, don't run into the ****ing mailbox.
Yeah, common sense would tell you that, but in our litigious society you can't take the chance.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-05-2010, 11:37 AM
LMAO

Yeah, that's the ticket.

My cousin got killed by one. So yeah. That's the ticket psycho.

kcfan82
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I had a drunk driver run of a fire hydrant in my yard (which was close to the street). It was dislodged and landed in my driveway. My entire yard had car parts all over it.

OP police were able to track the person down in a nearby apartment complex from the damage and paint chips and other parts in my yard.

This person was driving drunk between 8AM and Noon on a weekday, because it happened while I was gone at work and I noticed it when I got home from lunch.

I did learn one thing from it though, fire hydrants do not spray water everywhere when they are ran over. They have a safety valve......

Mr. Arrowhead
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Drunk Driving is baaaaad, Buzzed Driving is ok

BWillie
07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
You can probably claim more than $400 just for a broken mailbox from her insurance company. Add some sod work and you can get even more. Do you have any sprinkler heads damaged? What about one small scratch to your sidewalk or driveway? lol

BWillie
07-05-2010, 12:18 PM

No. You aren't going to be liable if you have a super duper reinforced immovable mailbox. Unless they set it in concrete onto the street I don't see how that could be the case. You can reinforce your mailbox however the hell you want to. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to see some case law that found someone was somewhat at fault for somebody's injury because someone went off the road and hit a highly reinforced mailbox.

Saul Good
07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
No. You aren't going to be liable if you have a super duper reinforced immovable mailbox. Unless they set it in concrete onto the street I don't see how that could be the case. You can reinforce your mailbox however the hell you want to. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to see some case law that found someone was somewhat at fault for somebody's injury because someone went off the road and hit a highly reinforced mailbox.

The way I understand it is that you can be liable if you do it to stop people from smashing it with a bat or something. The logic is that you reasonably expected someone to drive by and smash your mailbox, you are liable if they sustain serious physical harm from hitting it after it's been filled with concrete. Even though they were committing a crime, you are still going to pay a pretty stiff price.

It's like someone who has their lunch stolen from the office fridge a few times and them makes a rat poison sandwich. If someone steals your lunch and dies from eating rat poison, you're going to jail.

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't care if there's a legal precedent or not, I wouldn't take the chance. There was an issue here in Omaha a few years back where a young driver lost control of their Jeep, flipped it over a curb, smashed into a illegally (city ordinance) constructed brick mailbox and was killed. Of course, there was a big hubbub regarding it and I know a lawsuit was filed, the argument being that even though the driver was driving recklessly, they wouldn't have been killed by a standard one. With that said, I don't recall ever hearing the outcome of it, my guess is it was probably settled out of court.

But regardless of the outcome, why would you risk the hassle and expense of a lawsuit over a fugging mailbox? You need to choose your battles in life wisely, and that one is not worth fighting.

Valiant
07-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Yeah I read a story somewhere about kids smashing mailboxes with bats while they drove around.. Got a house multiple times, so the owner filed it up with cement.. Kid broke their arm, they sued the guy and won..

Somehow those kids did not get any felony charges for destroying government property..

teedubya
07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Dont Drink and Drive... also, don't smoke pot and drive that often.

Chief Roundup
07-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I have heard that the mail is considered government property not the mailbox. Also heard that it could only be considered that if mail was in the mailbox. :shrug:

BigMeatballDave
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I have heard that the mail is considered government property not the mailbox. Also heard that it could only be considered that if mail was in the mailbox. :shrug:I've always heard that once a mailbox is put up and the carrier puts mail in it, its property of the Feds. Not sure how much truth to that there is...

kysirsoze
07-05-2010, 05:27 PM

It could also be that people often post a their mailbox by the street. Often the property line stops well before the street. Not sure if this is a factor or not.

BigMeatballDave
Yeah I read a story somewhere about kids smashing mailboxes with bats while they drove around.. Got a house multiple times, so the owner filed it up with cement.. Kid broke their arm, they sued the guy and won..
This is fucking BS! Further proof that our justice system is fucked.

LaChapelle
This one time I was driving down 71, between Nevada and Carthage. Had passed Milo, Sheldon and near Irwin. Almost to Lamar Lamar Hieghts area. When this drunk came out of nowhere. Probably one of those Iantha or Oakton hicks.

But I made my way down near Jasper and Carytown okay.
Shit, forgot about Kenoma. That's near Golden City and Lockwood.

Saul Good
07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
This is ****ing BS! Further proof that our justice system is ****ed.

How so? If he knows that someone's going to smash his mailbox, and he sets it up in such a way that it causes serious physical damage to that person, he has committed a crime.

It's the same thing with my stolen lunch analogy. If you know that someone is stealing your lunch out of the break room fridge, if you lace your sandwich with rat poison and another person steals and eats it, you go to jail.

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 05:36 PM
This is ****ing BS! Further proof that our justice system is ****ed.
It's about intent, and it's a slam dunk case if he filled the mailbox itself with cement. He knew his mailbox was probably going to get hit again, and did something knowing full well it had the potential to cause injury to who was doing it.

Pablo
07-05-2010, 05:39 PM
It's about intent, and it's a slam dunk case if he filled the mailbox itself with cement. He knew his mailbox was probably going to get hit again, and did something knowing full well it had the potential to cause injury to who was doing it.Yeah, and really, is any piece of personal property worth seriously injuring or killing somebody over?

If someone's in your home or threatening you physically it's a whole different ballgame; but protecting your mailbox or yard "at all costs" is fucking ignorant.

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah, and really, is any piece of personal property worth seriously injuring or killing somebody over?

Well, in some situations where it's an ongoing problem, there certainly would be some poetic justice in the perpetrator suffering some kind of injury. But unfortunately our justice system is run by lawyers, not poets.

RNR
07-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Had one plow through my front lawn around 3:10 this morning. I hoped out of bed and grabbed my wallet & phone and went off after them. Found the car in an apartment complex parking lot torn to shreds.

Called 911, gave the tag number, description of driver, and 40 minutes later not a cop to be found anywhere.

:cuss:

*pics of damage soon to follow

We have different reactions, I would have grabbed my gun :)

chiefer
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM

a simple mustache should do the job, trigger

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Not over a mailbox. Had they hit my dog... whole different ballgame.

Demonpenz
07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
oOOooOOOoo a fucking dog OoooOOoOOooO

pr_capone
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
oOOooOOOoo a ****ing dog OoooOOoOOooO

I would have gone after them with a gun had they hit you too FWIW.

:p

Valiant
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
How so? If he knows that someone's going to smash his mailbox, and he sets it up in such a way that it causes serious physical damage to that person, he has committed a crime.

It's the same thing with my stolen lunch analogy. If you know that someone is stealing your lunch out of the break room fridge, if you lace your sandwich with rat poison and another person steals and eats it, you go to jail.

So what happens if they are driving and hit your tree in the yard with the bat?? You should not be able to sue because your are stupid..

Bugeater
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
So what happens if they are driving and hit your tree in the yard with the bat?? You should not be able to sue because your are stupid..
Unless the tree was modified to have an increased potential for injury, that's not a legitimate comparison. And besides, no one with a brain is going to hit a tree with a bat and think they are going to inflict damage upon it.

RNR
07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Not over a mailbox. Had they hit my dog... whole different ballgame.

I added the :) because I was jk. Besides I would never shoot anyone outside of the house, not because I am against it, because of pain in the ass laws that do not allow shooting people who deserve it~

Al Bundy
07-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Not really... if I leave mail in my mail box, you smash it, break your arm then it becomes a federal crime. BIG BIG difference between breaking your arm being a dumbass and death.

tooge
07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Was she good lookin? Surely I'm not the only one wondering. You know, hot, drunk chick ends up in your front yard?

DenverChief
07-06-2010, 08:42 AM
One killed in wrong-way crash on I-25

ADAMS COUNTY - Troopers believe alcohol or drugs may have been a factor in a crash that killed one person and closed down Interstate 25 late Monday night.

<script language="JavaScript">OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); </script><script language="javascript1.1" src="http://gannett.gcion.com/addyn/3.0/5111.1/896033/0/0/ADTECH;alias=news.9news.com/news_ArticleFlex_1;cookie=info;loc=100;target=_blank;grp=802929;misc=1278427235969"></script>According to a release from the Colorado State Patrol, a Black Toyota Rav4 struck several cars on Thornton Parkway, before getting onto I-25 and causing the fatal crash.

Several witnesses called 911 around 11:11 p.m. reporting that an SUV was going the wrong way in the northbound lanes of I-25 at Thornton Parkway.

Before police could respond to the reports, however, the Rav4 slammed into a 1991 Honda Accord station wagon near 58th Avenue. Troopers say the driver of the Honda swerved to avoid the impact with the SUV, but was struck on the passenger side. A female passenger in the Honda was killed in the crash.

The male driver of the station wagon was taken to Denver Health Medical center with what troopers described as minor to moderate injuries. The 35-year-old woman driving the Rav4 was also taken to Denver Health, but her injuries were not disclosed.

The Colorado State Patrol says alcohol or drugs may have contributed to the incident. Troopers did not say what charges the driver of the Rav4 would face.

Northbound I-25 was closed for several hours at Interstate 70 as troopers investigated the crash. The highway reopened early Tuesday morning.
(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=142451&catid=339

:( It is always the innocent ones who suffer

Saul Good
07-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Not really... if I leave mail in my mail box, you smash it, break your arm then it becomes a federal crime. BIG BIG difference between breaking your arm being a dumbass and death.
In this situation, both parties have committed a crime. You don't get to booby trap your property in a way that causes serious bodily harm to a person causing only minor property damage. I didn't write the law, but it's in keeping with the "no vigilante justice" theme.

WV
07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I saw two guys mention it and they are both correct in the fact that a mailbox isn't considered federal property unless it has mail in it. Unfortunately (although I wasn't charged) I know from some youthful indiscretions!

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I had a drunk driver run of a fire hydrant in my yard (which was close to the street). It was dislodged and landed in my driveway. My entire yard had car parts all over it.

OP police were able to track the person down in a nearby apartment complex from the damage and paint chips and other parts in my yard.

This person was driving drunk between 8AM and Noon on a weekday, because it happened while I was gone at work and I noticed it when I got home from lunch.

I did learn one thing from it though, fire hydrants do not spray water everywhere when they are ran over. They have a safety valve......

Not all do. At least not out here. I have seen a couple hit. One by a drunk driver outside a bar that shot 75 feet in the air for 2 hours before they could get it shut down.

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Because you have the right to protect your own stuff. They are committing a crime by vandalizing the mailbox. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be injured. Why in the hell would the law protect a criminal over a law abiding citizen? I know they do all too often but that just shows how fuct our penal system is.

Omaha
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
The problem with that is if your super duper reinforced immovable mailbox caused an injury in any way, you could be held liable. I was going to do something similar when my mother in law was getting her mailbox ran down at the rate of once per year but was advised not to. So instead I bought a small boulder to set next to it, one with a nice sharp point on the top.

If this were true, and it's not, the boulder would cause the same exposure.

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:03 AM
It's about intent, and it's a slam dunk case if he filled the mailbox itself with cement. He knew his mailbox was probably going to get hit again, and did something knowing full well it had the potential to cause injury to who was doing it.

This is correct. This guy took the law into his own hands. Why not videotape the bastards & press charges?

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Wow. Bad call. I hope that's a joke.

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I added the :) because I was jk. Besides I would never shoot anyone outside of the house, not because I am against it, because of pain in the ass laws that do not allow shooting people who deserve it~

Ah, I didn't read far enough. :D

Jilly
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
so.....should I just mail you a check or what? :shrug:

Just kidding...I would never drink and drive and ruin someone's yard or mailbox.

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
If this were true, and it's not...
I don't think some of you understand how our legal system works. There is NOTHING that can stop someone from suing you, and at that point you're leaving everything you have in the hands of a jury. And even if you win, you're still out the time and money you've spent defending yourself.

It's. Just. Not. Worth. The. Risk.

the boulder would cause the same exposure.
Sure, if it were actually large enough to do any significant damage. Calling it a boulder was a poor choice of words on my part, it sits less than a foot tall and would cause tire damage at the very most.

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Because you have the right to protect your own stuff. They are committing a crime by vandalizing the mailbox. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be injured. Why in the hell would the law protect a criminal over a law abiding citizen? I know they do all too often but that just shows how fuct our penal system is.

Then set up a camera and bust them. No problem with the penal system here. You don't get to take the law into your own hands. Someone already said it: No vigilante justice.

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Then set up a camera and bust them. No problem with the penal system here. You don't get to take the law into your own hands. Someone already said it: No vigilante justice.

Its not vigilante justice. Thats like saying if you put up a brick wall around your house and someone crashes into it and dies, you should be held responsible. You should be able to put up any damn mailbox you want if it is on your yard.

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 10:28 AM
An even better analogy would be people who put razor wire on top of their fences to keep people from breaking in and breaking the law. Its to protect their things and it is ok. Why would a mailbox be any different?

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think some of you understand how our legal system works. There is NOTHING that can stop someone from suing you, and at that point you're leaving everything you have in the hands of a jury. And even if you win, you're still out the time and money you've spent defending yourself.

It's. Just. Not. Worth. The. Risk.

Hmmm, I may have misunderstood your original point. However, if your concern is avoiding frivolous lawsuits, good luck. That’s a pretty tall order. They’re frivolous, so you don’t even have to do anything wrong to have one pop up.

As far as your mailbox goes, I agree that you can’t turn it into a weapon, but, if you want to make it sturdy so it doesn’t fall down, no problem there.

RNR
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
An even better analogy would be people who put razor wire on top of their fences to keep people from breaking in and breaking the law. Its to protect their things and it is ok. Why would a mailbox be any different?

Because razor wire is very ineffective when it comes to stopping cars~

Omaha
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Its not vigilante justice. Thats like saying if you put up a brick wall around your house and someone crashes into it and dies, you should be held responsible. You should be able to put up any damn mailbox you want if it is on your yard.

You don't see the difference between putting up a brick fence & boobytrapping your mailbox????

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
You don't see the difference between putting up a brick fence & boobytrapping your mailbox????
It's amazing how many people in this thread can't seem to make the distinction.

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Putting cement in a mailbox so it doesn't fall down is ones way of protecting their property. Same as a brick fence. Its not booby trapping. Theyre not putting IEDs around the mailbox.

HemiEd
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
See, this is a good example of the crack down on drunk drivers.

People aren't any good at it anymore. This kind of stuff never used to happen.

BWillie
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
This is correct. This guy took the law into his own hands. Why not videotape the bastards & press charges?

While I agree in the case described. The guy filled the inside of his mailbox with concrete. It was a trick, and he was trying to deceive people.

In the real world and what most people do to reinforce a mailbox won't be an issue. If you have a large brick or concrete mailbox, someone is going to get hurt potentially if they hit it. Even if you have a heavy duty pipe reinforced mailbox, you will be fine. If you install a special steel post down 10 meters into the ground that can be seen on the outside as not a typical wood post, I would have a hard time thinking a jury would find you to to be liable to pay for alot of damages. If you try to conceal it and make it look different than it is and there is malicious intent then I think there would be an issue.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-06-2010, 11:20 AM
While I agree in the case described. The guy filled the inside of his mailbox with concrete. It was a trick, and he was trying to deceive people.

In the real world and what most people do to reinforce a mailbox won't be an issue. If you have a large brick or concrete mailbox, someone is going to get hurt potentially if they hit it. Even if you have a heavy duty pipe reinforced mailbox, you will be fine. If you install a special steel post down 10 meters into the ground that can be seen on the outside as not a typical wood post, I would have a hard time thinking a jury would find you to to be liable to pay for alot of damages. If you try to conceal it and make it look different than it is and there is malicious intent then I think there would be an issue.

thats the crux...concealment. So long as it can be seen it is a steel pipe post or has a concrete pillar, you're fine. But if you take steps to hide a steel post or something that's where you will get in trouble.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
when i was in HS some pussy beat my mailbox off and ran it over flat as a pancake.

Al Bundy
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Haha video tape it and press charges?? They would laugh at you and say "Just replace the mailbox, we're not even wasting our time on this."

Brock
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
thats the crux...concealment. So long as it can be seen it is a steel pipe post or has a concrete pillar, you're fine. But if you take steps to hide a steel post or something that's where you will get in trouble.

As has already been pointed out, you can be sued either way and the outcome of any lawsuit is not certain. It's what umbrella policies are for.

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM

I dunno, I would still recommend checking your local building codes and ordinances before reinforcing one in any way. Like I mentioned earlier, I know the brick and mortar mailboxes aren't allowed in Omaha, and while people do build them anyway, I could easily see them having legal issues if someone hits one of them and gets injured.

Saul Good
07-06-2010, 12:14 PM
If this were true, and it's not, the boulder would cause the same exposure.
The rock can be seen, and a reasonable person (the standard used in courts) understands what happens if they run over a rock. A booby trapped mailbox is like burying land mines in your yard to stop somebody from farming it.

If you want to fill your mailbox with cement, I'm all for it. Just don't act shocked when you find yourself in court.

Hootie
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
See, this is a good example of the crack down on drunk drivers.

People aren't any good at it anymore. This kind of stuff never used to happen.

because back in the day when people used to get caught the cops made them poor out their beers and go the fuck home...

just like if two kids fought in school they were sent home...

now everything is jail, jail, jail, jail...

Omaha
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Haha video tape it and press charges?? They would laugh at you and say "Just replace the mailbox, we're not even wasting our time on this."

This is absolutely false.

Omaha
07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
The rock can be seen, and a reasonable person (the standard used in courts) understands what happens if they run over a rock. A booby trapped mailbox is like burying land mines in your yard to stop somebody from farming it.

If you want to fill your mailbox with cement, I'm all for it. Just don't act shocked when you find yourself in court.

Saul, I agree with you 100%. My post wasn't about boobytrapping the mailbox. I thought the guy was just nervous about getting a sturdier base that would stand up better than wood.

Al Bundy
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
This is absolutely false.

Well maybe in smaller cities... The bigger cities like Kansas City would just laugh at you.

HemiEd
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
because back in the day when people used to get caught the cops made them poor out their beers and go the **** home...

just like if two kids fought in school they were sent home...

now everything is jail, jail, jail, jail...

Yep, we used to measure distance by beer consumption. "Oh, that is about a six pack away."

Cop: "Now run on home, and don't let me see you out again tonight."

But yeah, awareness has heightened the punishment, as is should be.

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Saul, I agree with you 100%. My post wasn't about boobytrapping the mailbox. I thought the guy was just nervous about getting a sturdier base that would stand up better than wood.
Actually, that's what I was thinking of doing at the time. I wanted to set a 4" steel tube into a couple feet of concrete, and then fill it with concrete, and my mother in law was advised by a lawyer not to do it due to potential liability issues.

But now that I think about it, it may have been because of the type of mailbox I was planning on using. It was one of those one piece plastic mailboxes that is designed to slide over a wood post, therefore the steel one would be concealed. That's probably what the legal hangup was.

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Well maybe in smaller cities... The bigger cities like Kansas City would just laugh at you.
If you can get a clear ID on who did it, they *might* do something about it. But they sure as hell aren't going to conduct an investigation over it.

HemiEd
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM
If you can get a clear ID on who did it, they *might* do something about it. But they sure as hell aren't going to conduct an investigation over it.

They have a law up here about people building those in-destructable mailboxes, because they damage the snow plows.

Some, of the people were getting pretty creative with huge brick en-casements, that would stop a big snow plow in it's tracks.

As far as someone running over a mail box, they deserve what they get.

pr_capone
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Just finished talking with her insurance company. An adjuster is supposed to be calling me tomorrow to get something set up.

Prolly get a couple of Ben's for the trouble.

Found out that the chick that wrecked my mailbox was found in her car passed out and was arrested for DUI. What asshattery. Let's celebrate the birth of our nation by getting wasted and possibly killing a bunch of people.

I've driven drunk once in my life when I was 19... NEVER did it again.

Bugeater
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
They have a law up here about people building those in-destructable mailboxes, because they damage the snow plows.

Some, of the people were getting pretty creative with huge brick en-casements, that would stop a big snow plow in it's tracks.

That's nice. Please build flimsy mailboxes so that they don't damage the plows when our incompetent drivers run into them.

Valiant
07-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Unless the tree was modified to have an increased potential for injury, that's not a legitimate comparison. And besides, no one with a brain is going to hit a tree with a bat and think they are going to inflict damage upon it.

What about a wrought iron mailbox or one with brick around it?? Again stupid people doing stupid shit should not be able to sue..

Valiant
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Seriously??

Wtf were the snowplows doing in the yard.. Of course I have only seen the plow once or twice in the last decade on our street..