PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Baseball Fans: Which stadium should I visit?

Buck
07-06-2010, 01:38 AM
I will be flying back east at the end of July and I will be in a close enough vicinity to attend any of these games. Which would you choose if you were me?

Phillies @ Nationals
Angels @ Orioles
Mets @ Phillies
D'backs @ Mets
Blue Jays @ Yankees

I figure that the Phillies or Yankees tickets will be hard to come by, and expensive. My #1 choice is Phillies @ Nats if I can see Strasburg pitch. Also, Washington DC is the closest destination.

I'd like to hear from you if you've been to any of the ballparks that these teams play in and hear your input.

Thanks

kysirsoze
07-06-2010, 01:40 AM
no poll?

kysirsoze
07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
BTW my choice would probably be Mets at Phillies. I just think Citizen's Bank Park is a cool stadium. If you wanted to go cheaper than I'm with you on choosing the Nats.

Buck
07-06-2010, 01:43 AM
no poll?

No, its not like I'm just going to go where the most people vote. I just want to hear from people who have been to these 5 specific ballparks.

I think if I went with the "Ballpark Factor" it would have to be Camden Yards. I think I've heard thats one of the best stadiums in the league. If Strasburg is pitching, its a no brainer for me. I want to see the San Diego kid deal.

kysirsoze
07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
No, its not like I'm just going to go where the most people vote. I just want to hear from people who have been to these 5 specific ballparks.

I think if I went with the "Ballpark Factor" it would have to be Camden Yards. I think I've heard thats one of the best stadiums in the league. If Strasburg is pitching, its a no brainer for me. I want to see the San Diego kid deal.

ah. well for the record I have not been to any of the listed parks so my opinion is probably of little use.

db105
07-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Yankee tix aren't that expensive. Seats in the upper levels are very reasonable. The lower level behind home plate is where it is costly. Check stubhub.com

Mojo Jojo
07-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Baltimore or Washington.

Baltimore the first of the old school stadiums, lots to do at inner harbor before and .
after the game

Washington great ballpark, and it is cool to be able to see the Capitol, Washington Monument and the Navy Yard from the stadium.

07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Yankee stadium. you can get really cheap obstructed view seats in the bleachers for like $5. and since there are no walls separating the stands from the innards of the stadium. you can watch the game from anywhere. its pretty cool.

Before the game get drunk at the dugout acroos the street. $3 PBR's. or you can go to Stans for more nostalgia.

heres a pic from inside the new stadium I took last month.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/jackass500/Yankeegame.jpg

07-06-2010, 03:28 AM
where are you staying at?

Buck
07-06-2010, 03:33 AM
where are you staying at?

I'll be in Ocean City, MD. Its about a 4.5 hour drive to New York, which is the furthest away out of all these.

Washington DC would be about 3 hours.

07-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Either of the New York stadiums.

07-06-2010, 03:35 AM
I'll be in Ocean City, MD. Its about a 4.5 hour drive to New York, which is the furthest away out of all these.

You can take a train ;) that commute by car is some of the worst traffic in the history of traffic going from NYC to MD in the summer time. I would avoid that commute like the plague.

blaise
07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
I've only been to Camden Yards. I'd been to both the old Mets and Yankee stadiums, but not the new.
If it was me I'd probably check out the Nationals ballpark, but that's probably because I used to live in DC and I like the city. I think you can take the Metro to the Naval Yard station and walk to Nationals Park. I would probably park in another part of town near bars or museums and then take the metro from there to and from the stadium.
I would say this- I've been to day games in Baltimore in the summer and it can get very hot and humid, like to the point where the stadium was emptying out because of it. DC weather can be the same way. If you have a choice between a day or night game you might want to choose a night game.

Mojo Jojo
07-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I think you will be able to put together a train schedule to any of these stadiums without driving into any of the cities. I did an east cost weekend a few years ago and stayed in MD. Only needed the car to & from airport, local driving and to park and ride stations. We took trains to Baltimore Inner Harbor for an O's game...into DC for sight seeing...to Fed Ex Field for a Redskins game.
I have found the locals can help you figure it out. If you go to Baltimore or DC you won't need or want your car. You can walk just about everywhere faster than you can drive, and if not public transit is available.
You will save time, money and frustration using the trains.

RJ
07-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Lots to do around Camden Yards before and after the game if you can stomach watching the Orioles for 9 innings.

What will be bringing you to Ocean City? I have a lot of fond memories of that place. Boardwalk fries sound mighty good right now.

CoMoChief
07-06-2010, 07:47 AM
IF Strasburg is pitching I'd go to the Nats game.

07-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Lots to do around Camden Yards before and after the game if you can stomach watching the Orioles for 9 innings.

What will be bringing you to Ocean City? I have a lot of fond memories of that place. Boardwalk fries sound mighty good right now.

The inner harbor in Baltimore is A LOT of fun. I only go when the Yankees play there ;)

VAChief
07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Baltimore or DC. Been to Citizen's Park as well, a nice park, but it is right next to the football stadium away from the city. Depends on what kind of atmosphere you want I suppose. Never been to Yankee stadium or Citi, if you were closer that would be worth a look too.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Seems like there should be a lot better things to do there than drive several hours to watch baseball.

DJay23
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Baltimore or Washington.

Baltimore the first of the old school stadiums, lots to do at inner harbor before and .
after the game

Washington great ballpark, and it is cool to be able to see the Capitol, Washington Monument and the Navy Yard from the stadium.

I have to echo this. I've been to both Camden and Citizens Bank Park multiple times. Citizens Bank has a little mall of food and merchandise shops beyond the bullpens in right field but unless you have kids, there's really nothing else to do. The stadia in Philly are pretty isolated as far as fun things to do outside of the games you're attending.

As for Camden, the Inner Harbor is within reasonable walking distance of the ballpark. Eat at Phillips Sea House, especially if you like crab cakes. There's also the National Aquarium, a few ships that you can tour through and all of your typical touristy restaurant fare. There's a shopping mall there too if that's your liking. If you have time, walk over to Fell's Point. It's a cool neighborhood with some nice restaurants. Camden is a cool place and Philly can be too, but your best bet is for Baltimore.

Stewie
07-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Camden Yards would be my pick.

DTLB58
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
My son has given some input to this site (including Arrowhead).

Stadiumjourney.com

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Yankee Stadium would be my pick.

L.A. Chieffan
07-06-2010, 11:20 AM
chavez ravine. the most beautiful park in the country

Sfeihc
07-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Buck, I know this doesn't fall into your plans but my two faves are PNC Park in Pittsburgh and whatever the Giants Stadium is called( AT&T Park when I was there) in SF.

Ever been to Petco in SD? It looks very nice on TV.

Buck
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Seems like there should be a lot better things to do there than drive several hours to watch baseball.

I'll be there for 11 days so taking 1 day to visit a new stadium is a must for me. My goal is to eventually visit every stadium NFL and MLB.

Buck, I know this doesn't fall into your plans but my two faves are PNC Park in Pittsburgh and whatever the Giants Stadium is called( AT&T Park when I was there) in SF.

Ever been to Petco in SD? It looks very nice on TV.

I've been to Petco and AT&T. I considered PNC this time but it's too far away.

Buck
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM

I have family that lives there. I love the board walk. It's amazing.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll be there for 11 days so taking 1 day to visit a new stadium is a must for me. My goal is to eventually visit every stadium NFL and MLB.

One my main interests is history, and there's so much to see in that area. The first place I'd hit is one of the Civil War battlefields in the area, especially if a reenactment's being staged. Or maybe go to Baltimore and see the Constellation or Fort McHenry (and get some kick ass crabcakes). But that's just me.

I was stationed in Norfolk for three years and kick myself now for not seeing more of the surrounding area when I had the chance.

SCTrojan
07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
If it were my choice, and I could only do one, I'd go to Camden Yards. Closer to you and a much better park, imo.

I do like Nats stadium as well, so if you can and want to do both, it's well within reason to get there. You can catch the metro somewhere north of the city in Maryland and get off at Navy yard.

Buck
07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
One my main interests is history, and there's so much to see in that area. The first place I'd hit is one of the Civil War battlefields in the area, especially if a reenactment's being staged. Or maybe go to Baltimore and see the Constellation or Fort McHenry (and get some kick ass crabcakes). But that's just me.

I was stationed in Norfolk for three years and kick myself now for not seeing more of the surrounding area when I had the chance.

Yeah I'll be doing some of tht too. I've been to DC a few times and one time was when my grandpa was awarded the MoH. We got a free tour of the city so I've seen a lot already.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah I'll be doing some of tht too. I've been to DC a few times and one time was when my grandpa was awarded the MoH. We got a free tour of the city so I've seen a lot already.

Your grandfather won the Medal of Honor? For real?

RJ
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I have family that lives there. I love the board walk. It's amazing.

I'm jealous. We (family) were just talking about OC yesterday. Being from Baltimore, in my younger years me and my buddies would sometimes get a wild hair on a Friday night, fill up the cooler with beer, pile in the car and drive down the ocean (downy ocean, in Baltimore-speak). Seemed like we always knew somebody that had a condo for the week or something. We'd just go down and party and sleep on the floor.

I miss the salt air, the boardwalk fries, the bars, Bull on the Beach, English's fried chicken and the donut place I can't remember the name of.

Anyway, you can probably get to Camden Yards for a game in three hours or less and the ride over the Bay Bridge is interesting.

Buck
07-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Your grandfather won the Medal of Honor? For real?

Yes. The guy who was to turn in the papers was KIA and they didn't find the papers until 53 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Day

Buck
07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm jealous. We (family) were just talking about OC yesterday. Being from Baltimore, in my younger years me and my buddies would sometimes get a wild hair on a Friday night, fill up the cooler with beer, pile in the car and drive down the ocean (downy ocean, in Baltimore-speak). Seemed like we always knew somebody that had a condo for the week or something. We'd just go down and party and sleep on the floor.

I miss the salt air, the boardwalk fries, the bars, Bull on the Beach, English's fried chicken and the donut place I can't remember the name of.

Anyway, you can probably get to Camden Yards for a game in three hours or less and the ride over the Bay Bridge is interesting.

yeah everytime we go we fly into Baltimore so I know the brigldge well. My mom is scared as hell when we drive over the bridge and if I drive over 25 mph she screams at me to slow down lol.

I like the salt water taffy too.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes. The guy who was to turn in the papers was KIA and they didn't find the papers until 53 years later.

That is way awesome. :thumb:

I've only seen one recipient in real life - some crusty old chief who must have won it in Vietnam passed me in the hall of my building one day. The little blue ribbon at the top always stands out.

SDChiefs
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
chavez ravine. the most beautiful park in the country

False. PETCO is far nicer.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Nicest one I've been to is Turner Field. New Busch is a close second.

Fritz88
07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
KC bitch

Buck
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
KC bitch

I'll be going to a Royals Game in KC this year too. Same day as the MNF game.

blaise
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I like the Royals remodeled stadium. The only thing it lacks, really, is the backdrop some of the downtown stadiums have.

RJ
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM

I went to a lot of those battlefields as a kid - Harpers Ferry, Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run - but it was so long ago that I barely remember them now. I'd love to go back, I'd probably appreciate them more as an adult.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I went to a lot of those battlefields as a kid - Harpers Ferry, Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run - but it was so long ago that I barely remember them now. I'd love to go back, I'd probably appreciate them more as an adult.

I've scheduled trips to Gettysburg three times, but everytime something has happened to screw it up at the last minute. It's definitely on my list of places to see.

The ex and I visited Colonial Williamsburg and spent a weekend in DC once. That was pretty much the extent of my travels in the area unless I was driving back to Missouri. I never even drove down to North Carolina and the border was like fifteen miles away. :shake:

KcMizzou
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._DayIf they ever make a movie of his life, it's pretty obvious who should play him. In that pic he looks a lot like Robert De Niro.

luv
07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I would have said Yankees in a heartbeat if they were in their old stadium. I'd say Baltimore.

07-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I've scheduled trips to Gettysburg three times, but everytime something has happened to screw it up at the last minute. It's definitely on my list of places to see.

The ex and I visited Colonial Williamsburg and spent a weekend in DC once. That was pretty much the extent of my travels in the area unless I was driving back to Missouri. I never even drove down to North Carolina and the border was like fifteen miles away. :shake:

I was in Gettysburg at night. and I swear to god that field is haunted man. that place gave me the spooks. YOU WOULD LOVE IT with all of your ghost stories.

Frazod
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I was in Gettysburg at night. and I swear to god that field is haunted man. that place gave me the spooks. YOU WOULD LOVE IT with all of your ghost stories.

I think I'll stick to day tours, thank you very much. :D

WV
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd choose the Nats if Strasburg is pitching though tix will be tough for him or I'd go to Baltimore. Camden yards is a great ball park and you can get all you can eat seats in LF for like $40. Just went two Sundays ago for the Nats @ Orioles and it was a blast.

Buck
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Well looks like Philly and NY are out. I'm going back east with my mom who was born in MD and she said she'd only be interested in Baltimore or DC. She grew up an o's fan so it's likely we will go to a game at Camden.

07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Well looks like Philly and NY are out. I'm going back east with my mom who was born in MD and she said she'd only be interested in Baltimore or DC. She grew up an o's fan so it's likely we will go to a game at Camden.

That's a lot of fun Matt ;) you'll like the inner harbor. good choice.

Buck
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
That's a lot of fun Matt ;) you'll like the inner harbor. good choice.

I've been there before. Saw a cool Fireworks show on July 4, 1999 there. I've pretty much seen all the best places to see in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I've never been to NYC though. Only Upstate NY.

WV
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Parking in Baltimore can be a bitch, I'd due my research, arrive early and park in an all day garage kind of in the middle of the Harbor and the Stadium. Of course you'll have a fair amount of walking, but that's what I would do.

RJ
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM

So if you're going with your mom is bar hopping out of the question?

Are you going to stay the night in Baltimore or head straight back to OC?

Buck
07-06-2010, 04:35 PM
So if you're going with your mom is bar hopping out of the question?

Are you going to stay the night in Baltimore or head straight back to OC?

We have family in Baltimore so we'd stay there whether we go to DC or Baltimore. I wouldn't go barhopping even if my mom wasn't there. I'd rather go sight-seeing.

07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I've been there before. Saw a cool Fireworks show on July 4, 1999 there. I've pretty much seen all the best places to see in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I've never been to NYC though. Only Upstate NY.

Well, if the Chargers come this way you gotta come ;) I of course am hoping for another SD trip next year ;)

RJ
07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
We have family in Baltimore so we'd stay there whether we go to DC or Baltimore. I wouldn't go barhopping even if my mom wasn't there. I'd rather go sight-seeing.

If you're in a baseball mood you might try the Babe Ruth Museum. You could check out this half million dollar baseball card. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-06-29/sports/bs-sp-baseball-card-0630-20100629_1_museum-on-emory-street-baseball-card-glenn-davis

The B&O Railroad Museum isn't far from there. Really cool if you like old trains and streetcars.

Or you can just take the water taxis around the harbor area. That's a fun day.

Eat a steamed crab for me.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Parking in Baltimore can be a bitch, I'd due my research, arrive early and park in an all day garage kind of in the middle of the Harbor and the Stadium. Of course you'll have a fair amount of walking, but that's what I would do.

When I go to the Ravens games, I always catch the light rail. It drops off and picks up right in front of both stadiums and beats the heck out of dealing with parking and traffic.

On Oriole game nights, they run extra trains to get the crowd in and out of the stadium.

Just a thought.

DJay23
07-06-2010, 06:21 PM

WOW! Your Grandpa was one hell of soldier!

Buck
07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
WOW! Your Grandpa was one hell of Marine!

FYP

WV
07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
When I go to the Ravens games, I always catch the light rail. It drops off and picks up right in front of both stadiums and beats the heck out of dealing with parking and traffic.

On Oriole game nights, they run extra trains to get the crowd in and out of the stadium.

Just a thought.

I've never been able to make heads or tails of that light rail system. I tried again when I went to the Chiefs/Ravens game this past year and all their website did was piss me off. For Orioles games and once for a Ravens game (Chiefs Ravens Monday night game in 04'....winless going in and after the upset a nice quiet bus ride home!) I take a tour bus that drops us off close.

BWillie
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I liked Houston's stadium. Twas nice. Thought Wrigley sucked, but the stuff surrounding it and on the streets was pretty cool.

blaise
07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
If you go to Camden Yards make sure to walk on the street behind the outfield and look at the ground so you can see the little circles they put in the pavement where home run balls landed. They etch the name of the guy that hit it on them.

blaise
07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I liked Houston's stadium. Twas nice. Thought Wrigley sucked, but the stuff surrounding it and on the streets was pretty cool.

Houston's is pretty good, if you walk 3 or 4 blocks toward downtown you can get to quite a few bars. I once stayed at the Magnolia hotel downtown and my brother and a friend of ours walked to an Astros game and took the light rail down to see a Texans preseason game.