PDA

View Full Version : Life a little background on my earlier post

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230318

Back in late Jan, hubby wanted to get a puppy. Our daughter had left home and took her dog that we have had for 15 years with her. Hubby wanted a dog. I did not. When he showed me the boxer he wanted to get, I said okay. He wanted to crop the ears, I did not. We decided to not get the dog, then the next day hubby relented and said if I would let him get the pup he wouldn't crop the ears. We got him that day.

From the start, I figured (me not being a dog person) I would just tolorate the little guy and help feed and keep things clean. Max, tho had other ideas. The minute we got home, Max jumped into my lap and licked my face and I fell in love. We worked with him and got him trained and he had learned some tricks. We have a huge back yard and an 8 foot tall fence. We never worried about him getting loose.

More importantly, when I had my rounds of Chemo, he would lay on the floor right next to me and rest his chin on the couch as if to will me better. Sometimes I would lay on the floor beside him and he would just put a front paw on my arm ever so gently.

We took him to our home town of Eureka this last weekend as we wanted him with us. Friday night, he actually got to sleep uncrated for the first time and he did really well. Slept next to hubby all night and did not tear up anything and did not potty in the house. Saturday morning, hubby put him on his chain (not something he was used to) to do his morning thing. Hubby went to take a quick shower. Got back less than 15 minutes and the chain was broke and Max was missing. We and about 1/2 the town looked for a better part of 8 hours. It is a small town, we covered every street, every alleyway but could not find him. About dusk we went to hubby's mom's house uneasy but okay with the fact it is a small town and we knew he would turn up. 30 minutes later my brother in law came to the house and I knew the look on his face wasn't good.

He took hubby and they went to the edge of town near the country club. Max was there or his body was. He was hit horribly bad. Hubby called me and told me that I needed to go to my sister's house cause we had to bury our baby. Hubby had picked him up out of the ditch and just held and held him and cried... He was covered in blood when we finished burying him.

That was Saturday, this is Tuesday and for someone who wasn't going to love a dog, I can not stop crying.

We have a hurt in our heart and a void in our home.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Here is Max

RIP Maxwell Bocephus Dawson 12/10/09--7/3/10

luv
07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Here is Max

Look at that face. I'd cry, too. Sorry to hear it.

ArrowheadHawk
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I had a dog hit by a car and replaced him right away. I know how you feel. A new dog won't take that away but it sure does help.

Sfeihc
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
What a sweetheart of a dog. I'm sorry for your loss.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
id let it run its course before i jumped back in. Dogs are alot of work and energy. Get your minds right first. maybe in a month or so. jmo.

Truely sorry for your loss. Id be devistated if anything happened to moxie.

Lumpy
07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I couldn't go through something like that, (and I hope I never do). My heart goes out to you and yours!

Old Dog
07-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Damned allergies....RIP Max

tooge
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I lost my dog about a year and a half ago and when I posted it on CP, I remember everyone telling me how they lost their pet back whenever, and they still miss it and tear up when they think of it. Gotta tell ya, they become part of your family. We waited about 2 months before replacing Kegan, but I still think about her everytime I go up to the garden and see the spot I buried her. The cryin will stop but the memory wont. I would replace him sooner rather than later. Not so much because you are replacing Max, cuz you can't. Rather, you are replacing something that became part of your life, and giving you a pup to see to again, it will suprise you how fast you "fall in love" with your new pal. BTW, very sorry for your loss. Dogs rule.

Buehler445
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't know what I would do if I lost Chief dog. Sorry to hear about your loss
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God
07-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is, however, a good reminder that I need to have the fence on my backyard modified. It's 4' and my English Cocker, Cooper, can go up and over it pretty much at will. I've had him since Halloween and would be physically ill if anything happened.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is, however, a good reminder that I need to have the fence on my backyard modified. It's 4' and my English Cocker, Cooper, can go up and over it pretty much at will. I've had him since Halloween and would be physically ill if anything happened.

he is very cute. Yes, please make sure your fence is good.

Also, the man that lived next to the house we were staying at, shoed him out of his yard. It made me think that if he had just held him and come over and said "dawson come get your dog" we would still have him. Makes me think twice about seeing strays in my yard. I will do what I can to ensure their safety

Skyy God
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Also, the man that lived next to the house we were staying at, shoed him out of his yard. It made me think that if he had just held him and come over and said "dawson come get your dog" we would still have him. Makes me think twice about seeing strays in my yard. I will do what I can to ensure their safety

He's a athletic little dude. Scrambled up an artificial rock yesterday after me and did a leap off from about 4'. I'm lucky to have good neighbors.... had help from one when he squirmed off his collar on a walk.

That's a total dick move on your neighbor's part. Boxers are friendly dogs and he probably would have stayed with him. You and he need to have a conversation.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
That's a total dick move on your neighbor's part. Boxers are friendly dogs and he probably would have stayed with him.

You and he need to have a conversation.

he was hubby's mom's neighbor, not ours. We were just there for the weekend.

but it makes me think twice about telling stray dogs to get out of my yard. If possible, I will pin them and call someone

Mr. Plow
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Yuck. I hate stories like this. Beautiful dog. Getting a new dog won't make you forget, but it might help keep your mind free for a little bit while you are laying there with an old sock playing tug of war with him.

Lzen
07-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Oh man, that sucks. Boxers are great dogs. Very loyal, very playful, and tolerant of my little girl (think Elmira from Tiny Toons).

BTW, he looked like my female boxer. Her's a pic of her when she was about 6 months. She is a sweetheart.

Lzen
07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Also, I agree with you completely about not cropping the ears. Boxers are not supposed to be bad ass, tough looking dogs. They are clowns.

Skyy God
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
he was hubby's mom's neighbor, not ours. We were just there for the weekend.

but it makes me think twice about telling stray dogs to get out of my yard. If possible, I will pin them and call someone

Yeah, that's the right thing to do. I found a greyhound in 4 lanes of traffic a couple years back and coaxed him into my car. Turned out he was a foster that slipped out an unlocked gate.

joesomebody
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a pet. Don't want to even think about losing Otis. I'd suggest getting another dog, but go about it the right way. Do your research, and find the right one.

Rushing out to the first classified ad for a boxer might not be the right idea. Look for a good breeder, and find the right pup.

I got so lucky with Otis. My mom found him for me and surprised me at Christmas. Not the way I usually suggest getting a pet, but I got so lucky this time. Best dog ever.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
As someone else said, get a new dog. It won't fix it, but it will help. I'm very sorry to hear about Max.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 03:38 PM
hubby was lifting weights in the basement and Max would sit on the stairs like this. His legs were getting so long...

Bill Lundberg
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm really sorry about your loss. Having gone through it myself I agree to get another one after 2-3 weeks. We lost our first boxer after 7 years and replaced him with another one 5 weeks later. Chas has been with us for 4 years now and as much as he drives me crazy from time to time I couldn't imagine him not being part of our family.

The great thing about Boxer's is many of them have the same traits. It's really easy to watch Chas and have fond memories of Tanner even though they were completely different looking dogs.

http://www.midwestboxerrescues.com/ourboxers/index.cfm/sectiontitle/Our%20Boxers

Tanner

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/nyoung15/tinaction.jpg

Chas

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7yiwLIXAhuk/R1y3G33rzjI/AAAAAAAABHw/ChBT7hKBp4w/s144/369.JPG (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b5RorE-TefHHlkZadAJLqQ?feat=embedwebsite)</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Dogs (http://picasaweb.google.com/neal.young/Dogs?feat=embedwebsite)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
beautiful dogs! thank you

ArrowheadHawk
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Mine.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Mine.

Very cute!

Buck
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh man, sorry noswad. That literally brought a tear to my eye.

I would give it a couple months at least.

Phobia
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Bummer. Boxers are awesome. I hate going through this or even being close to such a situation. We were working on tooge's home when his lab got sick - we thought maybe she ingested something we left around. I was so relieved when we discovered it wasn't us but the relief was short because she passed shortly thereafter. Dogs are amazing creatures and they're perfect companions. No animal is more suited for human companionship, IMO.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Bummer. Boxers are awesome. I hate going through this or even being close to such a situation. We were working on tooge's home when his lab got sick - we thought maybe she ingested something we left around. I was so relieved when we discovered it wasn't us but the relief was short because she passed shortly thereafter. Dogs are amazing creatures and they're perfect companions. No animal is more suited for human companionship, IMO.

Thanks Phobs. It truly was a shock. All I wanted this year was a crisis free year ya know?

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Look at that face. I'd cry, too. Sorry to hear it.

didn't he have just the cutest face?

Phobia
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Phobs. It truly was a shock. All I wanted this year was a crisis free year ya know?

There is no such thing. I think you know that by now.

Gracie Dean
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
There is no such thing. I think you know that by now.

yea, well, I don't think I am as strong as God is saying, I have really just about had it

Gracie Dean
07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
We put a deposit on this little guy last night. Some friends of ours gave us the connection...

DJ's left nut
07-07-2010, 02:25 PM

I've had a handful of strange occurrences with lost dogs (housed one for a couple of days, had to crawl through the woods to find one once, etc... each one of them made it home safely) all because I knew how much it would mean to me if someone ever did that for one of mine.

I know I'm not a perfect pet owner. No matter how careful you are, they're gonna find a way out on occasion (I've had 2 of them get loose on me) and all you can do at that point is rely on the kindness of others to get them home safely.

Sorry you lost your pup. Don't beat yourself up too badly, but please keep helpin' where you can. The simple act of putting a runaway into your back yard for a few minutes can save someone months of heartache.

DJ's left nut
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Also, I agree with you completely about not cropping the ears. Boxers are not supposed to be bad ass, tough looking dogs. They are clowns.

My wife and I are in the same debate over a rotty.

They all have the bobbed tail, and people associate that look with a more aggressive dog. If you ever see a rotty without it's tail docked, I defy you to convince me that it's a mean dog.

That tail bopping in the air will melt anybody. When you have a dog with an 'aggressive' tag, I think it's a really good idea to do what you can to keep people from recoiling from it for precisely this reason.

Gracie Dean
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I've had a handful of strange occurrences with lost dogs (housed one for a couple of days, had to crawl through the woods to find one once, etc... each one of them made it home safely) all because I knew how much it would mean to me if someone ever did that for one of mine.

I know I'm not a perfect pet owner. No matter how careful you are, they're gonna find a way out on occasion (I've had 2 of them get loose on me) and all you can do at that point is rely on the kindness of others to get them home safely.

Sorry you lost your pup. Don't beat yourself up too badly, but please keep helpin' where you can. The simple act of putting a runaway into your back yard for a few minutes can save someone months of heartache.

I definitely will help when I can. I would have rather paid 100 bucks to get him out of doggie jail than to see him the last time like I did.