PDA

View Full Version : Life Any landscaping geniuses here?

Frankie
07-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I have finished my addition project and that had led to my ignoring my backyard. Now I'm turning my attention to that jungle. It's full of outgrowths of a lot of weird things. Anything from thistles to climbing shit and even a few "funny weed." Some of the stuff are pretty tall. I have gotten away with it because my backyard is pretty tucked away although fairly large.

With this picture presented, I'm having a handyman mow them down this very minute. I like to totally kill everything (except my nice trees) and get it prepared to be re-sodded. I am looking for advice.

- What's the best poison to kill it all without bothering the trees?

- Once they are killed and removed would the soil be suitable for re-sodding. I'd rather not have to import a lot of top soil.

- Any other advice or heads-up will be truly appreciated.

Help please.

DeezNutz
07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Antifreeze.

ChiTown
07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Did you say Manscaping?

doomy3
07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Shoot Duck Dog a PM. He may be able to help you. He owns a landscaping/lawn care business.

MOhillbilly
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Shoot Duck Dog a PM. He may be able to help you. He owns a landscaping/lawn care business.

lol

doomy3
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
lol

?

38yrsfan
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I use Hi-Dep for large job applications when a herbicide is unavoidable. It is good for spot spraying but be careful with wind if something is close that you want to keep.

What is your overall plan for the yard, one large lawn, sectional themed garden and water feature areas, wildlife habitat certification, etc?

Donger
07-08-2010, 03:49 PM
KCnative might be able to help.

MOhillbilly
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
find out what usda zone youre in frankie and then talk to a lawn and garden guy at you local farm and home.

Frankie
07-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I use Hi-Dep for large job applications when a herbicide is unavoidable. It is good for spot spraying but be careful with wind if something is close that you want to keep. Thanks.

What is your overall plan for the yard, one large lawn, sectional themed garden and water feature areas, wildlife habitat certification, etc?
Just lawn to begin with and sectional gardening beginning next summer.

kstater
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Roundup + 2,4-D will kill virtually anything if you're not worried about saving anything.

3 oz/ 1000ft2 for the 2-4D(I recommend this http://www.bonideproducts.com/lbonide/backlabels/l330.pdf)

The round up rate will vary based on the concentration, read the label.

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm in the process of getting rid of lawn. I have seen the light.

BWillie
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Roundup + 2,4-D will kill virtually anything if you're not worried about saving anything.

3 oz/ 1000ft2 for the 2-4D(I recommend this http://www.bonideproducts.com/lbonide/backlabels/l330.pdf)

What about diesel fuel? I know the EPA would probably frown upon it..but..

bevischief
07-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Fire!!!!!!

Delano
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
What about diesel fuel? I know the EPA would probably frown upon it..but..

There are better surfactants than diesel. Methylated oil for one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Yep, this is the way to go. Xeriscaping and a sprinker = no lawn work = heaven on earth.

Frankie, how big is your lawn? I'm not an expert at all, but it may be worth mixing in new topfill before you resod. We did that with one area of our yard when we planted a tree, and that tree has grown to Herculean proportions (with respect to other dwarf ornamental trees of its breed).

Bwana
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok Frankie here's what you need to kill off the weeds.

Gly Star Plus, which is manufactured by an outfit called Albaugh Inc, based out of Ankeny, Iowa. You should be able to pick it up at one of your local agricultural stores. You mix it with water and it kicks weeds in the nuts.

http://www.albaughinc.com/detailers/pd_glystar_plus.htm

kstater
07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
That's the same thing as Round-up.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
You can kill the weeds all you want but they will eventually come back, even through your new sod. the only way to get rid of the weeds is to wait for them to come up one at a time and when they do , shout at them Allah is great and throw rocks at them until they're dead.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
That's the same thing as Round-up.

I think it's the same thin gas the high end Roundup (their powerhouse stuff) now that I look at it closer. It is at a lot better price point though.

One word of warning about this stuff, make sure to REMOVE YOUR SHOES before walking back onto your lawn. If you don't, it will literally kill the grass and leave "dead footprints." How do I know this............ :banghead:

kstater
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I think it's the same thin gas the high end Roundup (their powerhouse stuff) now that I look at it closer. It is at a lot better price point though.

One word of warning about this stuff, make sure to REMOVE YOUR SHOES before walking back onto your lawn. If you don't, it will literally kill the grass and leave "dead footprints." How do I know this............ :banghead:

Yeah, it's the same as RoundupPro. Always wash your shoes off when done.

mlyonsd
07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Roundup or anything sold as Brush killer will kill everything outside of trees. I sprayed 2 gallons of it tonight on prairie type crap that I have no idea what it is.

It will die a slow ugly death within 7 days.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
You can kill the weeds all you want but they will eventually come back, even through your new sod. the only way to get rid of the weeds is to wait for them to come up one at a time and when they do , shout at them Allah is great and throw rocks at them until they're dead.

Perhaps, or you could print out numerous pictures of Rosie O'donnell and prop them up next to the weeds. That should do the trick, but may also kill off the trees within viewing distance. I would imagine it would also frighten small children to the point where they have nightmares.

Frankie
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok Frankie here's what you need to kill off the weeds.

Gly Star Plus, which is manufactured by an outfit called Albaugh Inc, based out of Ankeny, Iowa. You should be able to pick it up at one of your local agricultural stores. You mix it with water and it kicks weeds in the nuts.

http://www.albaughinc.com/detailers/pd_glystar_plus.htm

Funny! I'm within 20 minutes drive of Ankeny.

Frankie
07-08-2010, 08:36 PM

I doubt if you are talking from experience. :D

Frankie
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Eventually that's our plan too.

petegz28
07-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Roundup should not hurt your trees. It becomes ineffective once it makes contact with soil. So don't spray the leaves on the trees and you're groovy.

Brock
07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
For some reason, I figured you had a goat.

KS Smitty
07-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Not only will the weeds be gone but you will have already laid the base for your xeriscape lawn. Allah is indeed great. Asshat

Bugeater
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Just wait for the oil-corexit-firecane to show up, that will kill everything in its path.

Buehler445
07-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Eh, there are 20-something weeds that glyphosate (Roundup) won't kill, including some species of kochia weeds. Some grasses are included in that. Other than that, Roundup is a broad spectrum herbicide that should kill everything. Be wary though. Most stuff marketed as roundup is not roundup. Roundup may take a week or better to get a kill. If you mix it with 2-4D, the 2-4D will provide immediate burn to broadleaf weeds, but they won't die for a week or so.

Be careful with 2-4D. Some types (I think it is Amine formulas) will volitalize (turn from liquid to gas) and drift to plants, trees, neighbors yards, etc. Be sure to ask if the product you buy will volatilize. Most yard type chemicals won't.

Glyphosate is deactivated by dirt, rolling them around in dirt and then washing will probably be the best way. Especially if there is a surfactant included.

Roundup should not hurt your trees. It becomes ineffective once it makes contact with soil. So don't spray the leaves on the trees and you're groovy.

Same goes for 2-4D. Keep it the hell off the leaves of your trees.

Frankie
07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
thanks for all the info gents. I will re-read this stuff and I'm sure the right one for my situation will be selected.

But I still have one more question:

When all this weed and old grass is killed, do I need to pull the dead vegetation out (big backyard!) or can I just spread seed right over it for grass?

kstater
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
If you're going to seed, you'll need to till or find some other means to create openings for the seed to get under the soil. Till then seed then lightly rake to cover. Then water the piss out of it until it germinates as the seed cannot dry out.

Brock
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
thanks for all the info gents. I will re-read this stuff and I'm sure the right one for my situation will be selected.

But I still have one more question:

When all this weed and old grass is killed, do I need to pull the dead vegetation out (big backyard!) or can I just spread seed right over it for grass?

I'll preface this by saying I'm a few hundred miles south of where you're at. Here, you don't seed until September/October, it's just too hot. That should give you plenty of time to get the weeds tilled or raked out.

Bugeater
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I usually seed the first or second week of September, that gives the grass plenty of time to establish itself before we get a hard frost, waiting until October is kinda pushing it up here. But yeah, you definitely don't want to seed during the summer, you'll have every friggin' weed known to man growing in there and you'll never be able to keep it wet enough.

Oh, and I almost missed your last question, as far as the old vegetation goes, I would just take the stuff to the ground with a weed whacker and pick up as much of it as possible, or till it under.

Buehler445
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Rotortil. End.

But before you do, you should try to find some composted manure or some other organic matter fertilizer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frankie
07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Rotortil. End.

But before you do, you should try to find some composted manure or some other organic matter fertilizer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude I'm on the fence whether you are giving me a solution to my problem or a formula for a bomb! :) Your avatar though leads me to lean toward the former.

Buehler445
07-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Dude I'm on the fence whether you are giving me a solution to my problem or a formula for a bomb! :) Your avatar though leads me to lean toward the former.

You'd have a hard time making a bomb out of cow shit. Its the industrial nitrates (I think) that can go boom.

Seriously though, if you're going to till anyway, it would be a good time to add some organic matter and fertility to the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device