PDA

View Full Version : Misc Mountain Lion sighting....

Jerm
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
So about 30 mins. ago I was heading into Collins to go to the store when a massive golden brown cat with a long tail darts into the road in front of me...it's all country and gravel out here.

I instantly knew what it was...this is the second time I've seen one in 3 years, the other occasion was on 7 Highway up by Creighton. Anyways it went into the field across the road and me being the genius I am, I get out of my car and stand on the back bumper and watch it jog across the field. Sadly the camera on the Droid takes five fucking millenniums to load and I couldn't get a pic or video of it but I probably watched it for a good minute or two.

I estimate it was about 6 to 6 1/2 ft. long, it crossed the road like it was nothing...a couple of strides, it was massive.

A neighbor of mine claimed to have seen one a while back and his cattle is always acting weird and weary...they stay grouped together and by the fence in the back yard. My other neighbor had a Llama attacked and tore to friggin' shreds about 4 months ago...this shit has got me worried lol.

Thought about reporting it to the MDC but I figured they would just laugh it off as a Bobcat sighting and without a picture or video, it's hard to prove.

Anyone else seen one around.....???

SAUTO
07-08-2010, 05:57 PM
So about 30 mins. ago I was heading into Collins to go to the store when a massive golden brown cat with a long tail darts into the road in front of me...it's all country and gravel out here.

I instantly knew what it was...this is the second time I've seen one in 3 years, the other occasion was on 7 Highway up by Creighton. Anyways it went into the field across the road and me being the genius I am, I get out of my car and stand on the back bumper and watch it jog across the field. Sadly the camera on the Droid takes five fucking millenniums to load and I couldn't get a pic or video of it but I probably watched it for a good minute or two.

I estimate it was about 6 to 6 1/2 ft. long, it crossed the road like it was nothing...a couple of strides, it was massive.

A neighbor of mine claimed to have seen one a while back and his cattle is always acting weird and weary...they stay grouped together and by the fence in the back yard. My other neighbor had a Llama attacked and tore to friggin' shreds about 4 months ago...this shit has got me worried lol.

Thought about reporting it to the MDC but I figured they would just laugh it off as a Bobcat sighting and without a picture or video, it's hard to prove.

Anyone else seen one around.....???

collins? is that on 83 HWY?

Jerm
07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
collins? is that on 83 HWY?

13 and 54...

Sure-Oz
07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I thought this was about lebron

SAUTO
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
13 and 54...

yeah i think i asked you before and i realized it after hitting submit

LaChapelle
07-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Collins Elkton Wheatland Vista
Huron Flemington Cliquot Humansville
Missouri Rand McNally M- 7&8

ChiefsCountry
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I know you used to not be able to buy beer at the gas station in Collins.

ZootedGranny
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I was riding my horse out towards Tall Trees when I spotted a bear. Just as I'm starting to shit a brick, a fucking cougar came out of nowhere and brutally murdered my horse with one swipe.

Fuck mountain lions.

Jerm
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I was riding my horse out towards Tall Trees when I spotted a bear. Just as I'm starting to shit a brick, a ****ing cougar came out of nowhere and brutally murdered my horse with one swipe.

**** mountain lions.

That game is awesome. :toast:

Gonzo
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
You died of dysentery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I was attacked by a cougar once ! It was awesome.

FAX
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
After I died of dysentery that one time, I saw a cougar in Kansas. Country road. Near a river. It just stood in the middle of the road looking at us for a few minutes then launched itself into a nearby wooded area. I was so stunned, I never even grabbed my camera. In a way, I'm glad to see them. I expect the local ranchers' opinions to be different, though.

FAX

Halfcan
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
13 and 54...

thats the same spot I saw Bigfoot-lol

Al Bundy
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
thats the same spot I saw Bigfoot-lol

My ex-father in law was in Missouri?

RJ
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I've seen two here in New Mexico. I'm glad to know they're out there.

InChiefsHeaven
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
We've had a few wander into Omaha from the West in recent years. It's weird, it's almost like a ghost story...nobody ever gets a picture, or it's really shitty grainy video...but there have been a couple of wandering males confirmed here.

btlook1
07-08-2010, 09:11 PM
For the people interested in the confirmed sightings of cougars heres a web site where they track all of this stuff.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/breakingnews.html

alanm
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Quite common out here in the Bluffs. But I live in Western Ne. close to the Wyoming border. I would think Missouri would be out of their range. :eek: Omaha too for that matter.

Buehler445
07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Quite common out here in the Bluffs. But I live in Western Ne. close to the Wyoming border. I would think Missouri would be out of their range. :eek: Omaha too for that matter.

I was in Sidney when they killed one in Scottsbluff. I saw the picture where the goddamn thing was chillin on the deck watching the family eat breakfast. UNCOOL.

There was one in Scott County. The Fish and Game fuckers said they didn't come out here. But they were incorrect. No one has seen it in a couple years. Hopefully it is gone.

Beautiful animals though. I just wish they couldn't kill me so goddamn easily.

Vette on Route 66
07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
When mountain lions encounter people, I root for the cougars in that match up. Sorry people, I just like taking the underdog. The ones that don't have the fire arms.

GoHuge
07-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Saw one when I was 14 while deer hunting and still hunting with a bow. Sat down in a good spot were the deer usually run through in the evening. Heard leaves smashing around and thought it was a deer close by. I already had a arrow knocked so I was ready to go. This damn thing came out of nowhere and was only about 30 yards away. I wanted to shoot the damn thing to be able to tell and show people that in MS and KS they are here. If i'd have been in a tree stand I would have been OK, but dude was right there! I finally decided I was going to at least fling an arrow at him, but I was so damn nervous or scared that I couldn't pull my bow back. When I got back to the lodge my dad said I was green. First one I have seen in the and what shocked me was the size of the body. I was walking out of the woods witch can be a long walk to the truck

InChiefsHeaven
07-09-2010, 07:41 AM
When mountain lions encounter people, I root for the cougars in that match up. Sorry people, I just like taking the underdog. The ones that don't have the fire arms.

I guess you better hope you never meet one then. you'd have to root against yourself.

Fucking idiot.

Sofa King
07-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Those fucking things are starting to show up all around here.... a bunch of sightings out at the golf course...

Makes me seriously consider carrying a handgun with me when i bow hunt.... but at least i've never crossed paths with one.... which is weird considering all the coyote hunting we do..... usually cover ALOT of ground those days...

Lzen
07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
For the people interested in the confirmed sightings of cougars heres a web site where they track all of this stuff.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/breakingnews.html

They don't show that mountain lions are confirmed in Kansas. I know for a fact that they are in NE Kansas.

Radar Chief
07-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Two sightings.
One was in North East Oklahoma, just north of Vinita as I was leaving Grand Lake for home there was a road kill one laying off to the side of 59 Highway.
Another was while road testing radar about 5 miles north of Altoona, KS on 75 Highway where I was parked on a hill I like to test from because I can see and track targets for over 3 miles on a good day.
This one crossed the road behind me, walking out into the middle of the highway and paused to stare at my car for a few moments before continuing across and disappearing into the woods beside the highway.
I’ve seen several deer crossing in that same place, BTW.

OmahaChief
07-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Saw one when I was 14 while deer hunting and still hunting with a bow. Sat down in a good spot were the deer usually run through in the evening. Heard leaves smashing around and thought it was a deer close by. I already had a arrow knocked so I was ready to go. This damn thing came out of nowhere and was only about 30 yards away. I wanted to shoot the damn thing to be able to tell and show people that in MS and KS they are here. If i'd have been in a tree stand I would have been OK, but dude was right there! I finally decided I was going to at least fling an arrow at him, but I was so damn nervous or scared that I couldn't pull my bow back. When I got back to the lodge my dad said I was green. First one I have seen in the and what shocked me was the size of the body. I was walking out of the woods witch can be a long walk to the truck

Why do you care about showing the people in Mississippi there are mountain lions around?

kcfanXIII
07-09-2010, 08:17 AM
you are right, MDC is real sluggish to admit the predator population in mo is growing. they just this year advised people to beware of the rising black bear population, and they will never admit to having mountain lions here...

Old Dog
07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
They don't show that mountain lions are confirmed in Kansas. I know for a fact that they are in NE Kansas.

If you look at the link, there have been confirmed sightings in Kansas.
While there are only two detailed listings, it is easy to believe if there's one or more confirmed there are many more out there.
http://www.cougarnet.org/prairiestates.html

ChiefsOne
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I have seen a Mountain Lion with her two kittens and two black panthers on different occasions. This was in southern Missouri on the Arkansas line.

Reerun_KC
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I was in Sidney when they killed one in Scottsbluff. I saw the picture where the goddamn thing was chillin on the deck watching the family eat breakfast. UNCOOL.

There was one in Scott County. The Fish and Game ****ers said they didn't come out here. But they were incorrect. No one has seen it in a couple years. Hopefully it is gone.

You have enough padding to survive 3-4 attacks from a cougar.... No your boy Curtis (cougar toy) on the other had.... ROFL

dtebbe
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
you are right, MDC is real sluggish to admit the predator population in mo is growing. they just this year advised people to beware of the rising black bear population, and they will never admit to having mountain lions here...

I guess that means it's legal to shoot them ROFL

I mean do you need to have a season for something that doesn't exist?

DT

Fish
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM

There was one in Scott County. The Fish and Game fuckers said they didn't come out here. But they were incorrect. No one has seen it in a couple years. Hopefully it is gone.

I CAN HAS CHEEZEBURGER?

http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/Z/u/cougar_porch001.jpg

Reerun_KC
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I CAN HAS CHEEZEBURGER?

http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/Z/u/cougar_porch001.jpg

Where in the hell is Cartman yelling no kittie, bad kittie, this is my pot pie!

Frazod
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Will a mountain lion attack a human as prey, or only if threatened/protecting young?

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
i seen a bobcat about 15 years ago. Its hard for me to believe that a mnt. lion was in that area.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/160.pdf

Fish
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Will a mountain lion attack a human as prey, or only if threatened/protecting young?

Everything I've heard says they will stay as far away from humans as possible, unless they are at the point of starvation. They're very solitary animals.

RJ
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I once saw a dead ocelot alongside I-35 in South Texas. I was driving with my son and we went past it at about 80 mph. We gave each other a "was that what I thought it was?" look and I took the next available U-turn. Sure as hell it was an ocelot that had been hit by a car. I'd rather have seen a live one but it was still interesting since some people down there insisted they didn't live that far north.

Edit: It was between Corpus Christi and San Antonio, closer to Corpus.

seclark
07-09-2010, 09:53 AM

kind of interesting:
http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html
sec

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 09:53 AM

3000+ black bears in north arkansas. the mdc has speculated that the population in south missouri is around 300+.
FTR the MDC is the best in the country.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Everything I've heard says they will stay as far away from humans as possible, unless they are at the point of starvation. They're very solitary animals.

seen a dude on tv get attacked by a rabid cheetah. Didnt look fun at all.

RJ
07-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Lots of bear incidents down here lately. Hungry bears/careless people is a bad combination and it usually doesn't end well for the bear.

Fish
07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
seen a dude on tv get attacked by a rabid cheetah. Didnt look fun at all.

Rabid cheetahs.... that sounds like a happy nightmare...

SAUTO
07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
i seen a bobcat about 15 years ago. Its hard for me to believe that a mnt. lion was in that area.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/160.pdf

shit my buddy killed a pretty good sized bobcat a couple of months ago. he sees them all the time in his yard round here

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Rabid cheetahs.... that sounds like a happy nightmare...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHk0F-Bgds

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
shit my buddy killed a pretty good sized bobcat a couple of months ago. he sees them all the time in his yard round here

Been trappin since i was 10-11 and ive pretty much caught everything. A bobcat is something i dont ever wanna find in a springtrap/live trap. Id imagine itd be worse than a skunk. nasty.

Radar Chief
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM

A full sized man? No, only if the cougar is rabid or nearly starved to death, or like you say cornered / protecting young. Children are another matter, but that’s how a cougar rolls. They prey on the sick and the young.

raybec 4
07-09-2010, 10:07 AM

They have reluctantly admitted there may be transient cats, but claim there is no resident population. They also claim the cats won't breed in Mo either. My buddy lives outside of Lebanon and has been actively trying to kill the one he claims lives near his farm.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
They have reluctantly admitted there may be transient cats, but claim there is no resident population. They also claim the cats won't breed in Mo either. My buddy lives outside of Lebanon and has been actively trying to kill the one he claims lives near his farm.

hit me up if he does. id pay for a tusk.

Hydrae
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
With the explosion in the deer population around most of the country, a rise in predator population should not be a surprise to anyone.

raybec 4
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
hit me up if he does. id pay for a tusk.

You got it, he says it's running his cows and he doesn't mind sitting out there waiting on it when they're calving.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
With the explosion in the deer population around most of the country, a rise in predator population should not be a surprise to anyone.

the redfox population has exploded in my area. i find dens w/ turkey wings around them every year. MO has 750K+ turkeys.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
You got it, he says it's running his cows and he doesn't mind sitting out there waiting on it when they're calving.

id bait & poison early and often if hes sure thats what it is.

raybec 4
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
id bait & poison early and often if hes sure thats what it is.

Says he's seen it, he's full of shit sometimes though.

Gonzo
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I have seen two black panthers on different occasions.

Fight the power.
:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty
07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Mountain lions are great until they get into your backyard and drag your toddler off into the brush.

24 August. Jacob Walsh of Kettle Falls, Washington, was dragged off by a lion that released him after being chased off by a screaming adult. This was the second attack in Washington in two years. (Spokane Spokesman-Review 9/4/99)

This happened about three miles from where we live and happened in a subdivision, not out in the woods.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Beast in the Garden - True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return in Suburban America (http://www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-Predators-Suburban-America/dp/0393326349/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278701558&sr=8-1)

Where they're hunted regularly, lions tend to leave humans alone. But elsewhere they're apt to consider you prey until you prove otherwise.

For some reason the MDC likes to pretend there aren't any wild cougars around here. They say there isn't a 'breeding population' present. I guess they think all these danged mountain lions are queer as $3 bills.

HUNTER-PHOTOGRAPHS-MOUNTAIN-LION-IN-NORTHWEST-KANSAS (http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/News/News-Archive/2009-Weekly-News-Archive/10-19-09-KDWP-Special-News/HUNTER-PHOTOGRAPHS-MOUNTAIN-LION-IN-NORTHWEST-KANSAS)

Fish
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I've seen scratches on trees while out deer hunting that I'd swear had to be either mountain lion or bear. Nearly 5 feet off the ground, scratch marks an inch apart. I've seen tracks as well that were clearly a different pad than a big dog, and without claw marks. I've heard the damn things on our farm. Terrifying sound. Like a cross between a woman screaming in pain and a baby crying.

Radar Chief
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I've heard the damn things on our farm. Terrifying sound. Like a cross between a woman screaming in pain and a baby crying.

Oh man. I was camping at Grand Lake one time when something started emitting this scream that sounded like a women getting stabbed to death in the woods behind my tent. Sounded like it was right there behind my tent but had to been better than 50 yards away because it wasn’t even slightly deterred by my spotlight shinning into the woods and I couldn’t see anything of it.
Funny part was, my two dogs that had been running around and barking at everything in sight were hiding in my tent with nothing but their noses sticking out when that screaming started up. They didn’t want anything to do with that critter.

Chief Henry
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Six of us were heading to Canada on July 1st last week for a fishing trip in Ontario. Just south of Mason City, Iowa 3 of the 6 of us see a dead mountain lion in the ditch. Since I was driving I didn't see it. But 3 of my friends swear it was a dead mnt. lion in the ditch.

Fish
07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh man. I was camping at Grand Lake one time when something started emitting this scream that sounded like a women getting stabbed to death in the woods behind my tent. Sounded like it was right there behind my tent but had to been better than 50 yards away because it wasn’t even slightly deterred by my spotlight shinning into the woods and I couldn’t see anything of it.
Funny part was, my two dogs that had been running around and barking at everything in sight were hiding in my tent with nothing but their noses sticking out when that screaming started up. They didn’t want anything to do with that critter.

Yup. Same experience with the dogs..

I had a greyhound growing up that was one of the meanest fighting dogs you've ever seen. He weighed about 90lbs. Great with people, but a mean SOB to anything 4-legged. Came from a long line of expensive coyote hunting dogs in KS. He killed a badger when he was 10 months old. Wasn't afraid of anything. But the night I heard the calls down in the woods behind the farm, he was scared shitless. Tail between his legs, and he was attached to my side. Wouldn't get more than a foot away from me. Quiet as a mouse, wouldn't even bark or anything. His behavior scared me a hell of a lot more than the noises I was hearing. At first I thought it was a coyote killing a nest of rabbits or something, but it went on for over 30 minutes. Didn't find out till after I started asking around that it was likely a cougar. Then I heard story after story of "Yeah, so and so saw one up by his farm, other guy heard one out hunting too, etc."

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Male fox calling predators away from a den sounds like a screaming woman. They do this so the mother can move the babies to a new den if needed.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLHUxzEoRU

Mnt Lion???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKw4OFAu1WM&feature=related

GoHuge
07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Why do you care about showing the people in Mississippi there are mountain lions around?That was what we call a typo, mistake, lack of proofreading.

morphius
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
My parents own some land south of Collins that we go to fairly regularly, might have to be a bit better prepared when outside. As if the stupid copperheads were not enough.

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
My parents own some land south of Collins that we go to fairly regularly, might have to be a bit better prepared when outside. As if the stupid copperheads were not enough.

http://www.animalshirts.net/wolfshirts/wolfshirt-moon.jpg

Problem solved

LaChapelle
07-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm usually a big fan of Missouri's conservation department
not so much here:

Jul 16, 2010 5:08 PM EDT

Missouri resumes plans for restoring wild elk

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Plans to bring wild elk to Missouri are back on track.

The state Conservation Commission decided Friday to resume a planning process to place elk around the Peck Ranch Conservation Area in southern Missouri's Carter, Shannon and Reynolds counties.

The commission studied the feasibility of restoring Missouri's elk population 10 years ago. But those efforts were suspended because of concerns about chronic wasting disease and inadequate habitat.

Conservation Department Director Bob Ziehmer (ZEE'-mer) says elk habitat on public lands has improved since then. He says there also is a better understanding of chronic wasting disease.

Gov. Jay Nixon praised the commission's decision. He says restoring elk could help tourism and hunting.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

-look out Winona, Ellington, Chicopee and Fremont driving could get dicey