PDA

View Full Version : Poop Weed Eater Rant

btlook1
07-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok I have had it with these cheap weed eater brand weed eaters. Once again the damn thing won't run....I have went through a couple of them over the years. Never again! Going to go buy me a Stihl next week. E-mailed the company that makes these things this morning and let them know what a piece of crap they make! Don't buy the weed eater brand if you want something your going to use more than a few times they are junk. Broke it in to pieces in a fit of rage this morning! Buyer beware!

Bugeater
07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I bought a Homelite from Home Depot last year, that thing is a complete piece of shit as well. Fucking thing won't stay running unless you keep the throttle wide open all the time, which of course means you go through trimmer line like crazy. I'm putting up with it for the rest of the year and then it's going to suffer a similar fate as yours.

DJ's left nut
07-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Weed eater used to be okay, then they became something of a wal-mart brand. Now they pretty much suck.

My first trimmer was the Craftsman my dad gave me when I bought my first house...the same one that he had when he bought his first house 23 years earlier. The trimmer ran like a champ for a season until the fuel line finally rotted out. To replace it I would have had to buy a whole new rear assembly. So in nearly 25 years, a rotten fuel line was the only thing that finally killed that beast.

No complaints at all about my new one. It even has attachments for edging and pruning that work quite well.

Watch the sales and you can get a pretty nice one for about $130.

Marcellus
07-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I've had a Weedeater weedeater for about 11 years with no issues. Must have gotten a good one. Granted I don't use it much.

milkman
07-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Weed eater used to be okay, then they became something of a wal-mart brand. Now they pretty much suck.

My first trimmer was the Craftsman my dad gave me when I bought my first house...the same one that he had when he bought his first house 23 years earlier. The trimmer ran like a champ for a season until the fuel line finally rotted out. To replace it I would have had to buy a whole new rear assembly. So in nearly 25 years, a rotten fuel line was the only thing that finally killed that beast.

No complaints at all about my new one. It even has attachments for edging and pruning that work quite well.

Watch the sales and you can get a pretty nice one for about $130.

Is Weed Eater actually sold at Wal Mart?

Chief Pote
07-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Junk the damn weed eater and buy some of this. :D

LaChapelle
07-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I really don't care if they eat it or smoke it. Unless they get it from a ditch or purchase it from the grower it's morally wrong. You're subsidizing drug lords otherwise.

Chief Pote
07-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I really don't care if they eat it or smoke it. Unless they get it from a ditch or purchase it from the grower it's morally wrong. You're subsidizing drug lords otherwise.

STFU

LaChapelle
07-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought this was a rant thread

Chief Pote
07-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I thought this was a rant thread

Stick to the comedy...alright?

LaChapelle
07-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't recall anybody dieing from greenthumb
I can send you plans for a mini greenhouse for just $24.99

Bwana
07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
You know what, I have owned 3 gas powered weed wacking machines (various decent brands) and every last one of them is a no starting pile of crap.

The last one had issues from day one. I tired to start it this year and it wouldn't even think about it. I changed the plug (which looked fine and the gap was good) and cleaned it up inside. I spent another 15 minutes of my life trying to get the POS started without any luck. I took the thing and gave it a world class beat down, bent it in half and tossed it out in the garbage. If I would have been a little less pissed off, I would have taken it out in the woods and shot it! I will NEVER again own a GAS powered weed machine.

Walking around with a long cord is a pain in the ass, but at least they run. Screw gas powered weed machines.

notorious
07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
The electric Weed Eater ($21) from Sears is outstanding. Just as powerful as the gas eaters I use at the farm (John Deere), but a hell of a lot quieter and lighter. The line actually spools when I tap it on the ground, too!

Bwana
07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
The electric Weed Eater ($21) from Sears is outstanding. Just as powerful as the gas eaters I use at the farm (John Deere), but a hell of a lot quieter and lighter. The line actually spools when I tap it on the ground, too!

There you go! $21 and it runs well and works great.

gblowfish
07-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a Homelite which as been a POS since day one. Hard to start, doesn't feed line, pain in the butt. And you have to mix the gas with oil, which is also a pain in the butt.

Coach
07-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a Homelite which as been a POS since day one. Hard to start, doesn't feed line, pain in the butt. And you have to mix the gas with oil, which is also a pain in the butt.

I think most weedeaters nowdays required gas being mixed with oil.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
From what I have seen, even the big commercial gas models are piles of dung. I watched a guy that was knocking out a neighbor's lawn from a professional lawn care company, kicking his across the yard earlier in the year. All I could think was, "I feel your pain dude."

Buehler445
07-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I too, am running an electric unit. I have a relatively small area to maintain.

At the farm, dad has a John Deere unit that my grandpa bought in the 70's and works well. It starts kind of hard, but it starts and runs every year.

Buehler445
07-11-2010, 10:08 AM
From what I have seen, even the big commercial gas models are piles of dung. I watched a guy that was knocking out a neighbor's lawn from a professional lawn care company, kicking his across the yard earlier in the year. All I could think was, "I feel your pain dude."
Son of a bitch!:cuss:

Buehler445
07-11-2010, 10:09 AM
So are there any good gas units out there?

notorious
07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
There you go! $21 and it runs well and works great.

I couldn't believe it. I thought I would have to spend $200 minimum to get a weed eater I liked to use at home.

This little POS-looking eater kicks ass.

notorious
07-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh ya, don't even think about a rechargable trimmer. They have all sucked rhino balls so far.

morphius
07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I think most weedeaters nowdays required gas being mixed with oil.
Yup, don't see many 4 cycle engines on weed whackers.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Son of a bitch!:cuss:

Indeed and check your PM's.

DeezNutz
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I couldn't believe it. I thought I would have to spend $200 minimum to get a weed eater I liked to use at home.

Hmm...might need to purchase this unit, since I'm in the market and was previously thinking gas.

ceebz
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Never had a problem with my Echo weed eater.

Bugeater
07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
If you want to drop $200 on an Echo, Troy-bilt or Stihl, then yeah, there is.

mlyonsd
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a Stihl and it runs great. When starting cold one pull with full choke to get it to pop, the next pull with no choke and it just runs. Mine is 3 years old and light as a feather compared to my old one.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
If you want to drop $200 on an Echo, Troy-bilt or Stihl, then yeah, there is.

One of the 3 that I have owned was a $200+ Stihl and it was also a no starting pile of dung.

notorious
07-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Hmm...might need to purchase this unit, since I'm in the market and was previously thinking gas.

The cord (100ft) cost more then the trimmer. Insanity.

cabletech94
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
i've got a ryobi trimmer with the attach-it feature (add a tiller, edger, leaf blower, pole-saw etc) from home depot about 2.5 years ago. cost about a hunnerd for just the eater.
the tiller add on is awesome for an average garden (mine is 200 sq feet), just has to stop every 20 min or so to detangle all the roots and dead grass.
the weed eater itself when reattached sometimes *doesn't take* and has to be jostled just right to fall into place. other than that, my ryobi seems pretty cool.

oh yea, i only use the single string pieces to weed eat ( 5 bucks for like 18 pieces). that part can be pricey, but i average 2 string per yard. fwiw.

Buehler445
07-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Indeed and check your PM's.

Done dude.

Boon
07-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Ryobi is crap.
Motor runs forever, but string release mechanism is an abortion.
Constantly rewinding the messs.
Want something better myself.

Brock
07-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I really liked the Ryobi I had. The gas tank cracked though. What I liked about it was the EZ string winding thing it had on it and it had a screaming motor on it.

L.A. Chieffan
07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah, i hate weed eaters too.

its like im trying to sleep or work out or watch texas chainsaw massacre and then they come with those loud ass things outside and completely distracts me

DJ's left nut
07-11-2010, 11:08 AM

I really do like my new Craftsman.

5 pumps w/ the primer, pull it once, give it a little bit of gas and let it idle for about 20 seconds before going to town. I usually trim at about 50% throttle.

The head is a little different than most. It's not a spool at all, it's called a 'quick feed' head where you just cut a link about 14 inches long and feed it in. It spits out both sides and you get that double sided trimmer head that does a good job.

Don't get the straight shaft model, the weight is really poorly distributed. But if you get the one with the curved head, the weight is perfect and it does a very good job.

Stewie
07-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I've had a Homelite, an MTD and a WeedEater brand. The Homelite was a POS with a little cheesy plastic choke that broke. Was able to work around that for a year but it was a PITA. Bought the MTD and really liked it. Used it a couple of years and the SOB wouldn't start one day. Went out and bought the WeedEater at Tractor Supply. Got home and gassed it up and it wouldn't start. ****! Turns out the oil/gas mixture had gone bad. Got fresh gas and they both fired up. So, now I have two working trimmers but use the MTD because the WeedEater can't handle the .095 size line that I prefer.

Lzen
07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I had a Craftsman a decade or so ago and it was a total piece of garbage. Could never get the feed mechanism to work right. Constantly had to stop and feed it through.

Then I bought a Weedeater brand Twist and Edge model (looks like the thread starter's) that I bought for about $90 from Walmart 5 or 6 years ago and it was pretty decent. Pull the cord a couple times on full choke until you feel it trying to start. Then switch to half choke and it starts right up with no problem. I liked that you could twist the head to make it an edger. Also, I liked that it automatically feed the string (no tapping on the ground). The only problem with this one is that they made the choke lever out of plastic and I broke the damn thing. So that was the end of that.

My BIL gave me one last year that was also Weedeater brand. It was similar (still a plastic choke lever) in a lot of ways but a lesser model (no twist and edge and no auto feed). Even so, it has been a pretty good unit. Starts up and runs just fine. The line doesn't feed properly sometimes, but its not too bad. I have been satisfied with it.

Consistent1
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
My family has a couple Toro units from the early 90's. They have been worked on some over that time, but they still work damn well. I'm sure they weren't cheapos to start, but they are still doing well.

kcfan82
07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I bought a Black and Decker battery powered weed eater that came with two batteries.

It works great, and I've had it for two years....

Although I only have a small suburban yard.

http://www.toolsnob.com/pictures/black_decker_grasshog.jpg

Fairplay
07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I quit useing weed eaters all together because of the starting issues.

One less thing to do to my yard.

R8RFAN
07-11-2010, 01:25 PM
you get what you pay for most of the time

teedubya
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Junk the damn weed eater and buy some of this. :D

Monsanto is the debbil, dude.

prhom
07-11-2010, 02:03 PM

After fighting with a cheap weed eater I got a wal-mart I gave in and bought a Troy-bilt "XP" series. It's a great machine and for my money it's worth it to not fight with a crappy trimmer. It's also got a new 4-cycle engine so you don't have to mix the gas and oil which is nice. Supposedly it's better for the air too (if you're into that sort of thing). It runs much smoother than the other 2-cycles trimmers i've used too.

Bugeater
07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Heh, the damndest thing just happened with the one I was bitching about earlier. I was out of fuel mix so I made up a new batch, and the thing runs just fine now. Must've made up the first batch with some shitty gas. Whoops....

WV
07-11-2010, 03:22 PM
After fighting with a cheap weed eater I got a wal-mart I gave in and bought a Troy-bilt "XP" series. It's a great machine and for my money it's worth it to not fight with a crappy trimmer. It's also got a new 4-cycle engine so you don't have to mix the gas and oil which is nice. Supposedly it's better for the air too (if you're into that sort of thing). It runs much smoother than the other 2-cycles trimmers i've used too.

I have the Troy Bilt 4-cycle too and it starts easy, runs great, and had plenty of torque. Not mixing gas kicks ass, my only complaint is no bump head. The quick change thing is a pain when trimming along a fence or along concrete.

If your paying anything less than about $120 for a trimmer, consider it disposable and expect to have issues at some point. I had a cheap "Weed Eater" brand and I had no problems when I had a small yard, but once we moved I killed it in one season.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM

I was just running around town and picked up the $29 electric model Weed Eater over at Kmart/Sears.....works like a champ. If this one goes T.U. I'm going to shoot the SOB and take a pass on future buys.

ILChief
07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I use a Black and Decker battery powered one. It's heavy as hell due to the battery pack but it's nice to not have to worry about it starting. Works fine on a normal yard, I tried it on some thick brush around a pond and it didn't do that great but for normal weeds around a house it's fine.

notorious
07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I was just running around town and picked up the $29 electric model Weed Eater over at Kmart/Sears.....works like a champ. If this one goes T.U. I'm going to shoot the SOB and take a pass on future buys.

Good luck. That has to be the same one I bought.

Does it look like a cheap piece of shit? LMAO

MadMax
07-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Shindawa is the answer.

DaFace
07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm just glad my yard's small enough that an electric works fine. They work great, don't require gas (or oil), and cost a fraction of the price.

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
It's time like these I'm glad pops taught me the ins and outs of internal combustion engines as a pup. I've got 3 GX15Ts and 3 1700s in the basement, but only need the one 1700.
Had my 1700 for 10 years, and with good upkeep, it's realiably a 4 pull sure start. 2 full choke, 2 half choke, work the throttle then take it off choke.

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
it's realiably a 4 pull sure start. 2 full choke, 23 half choke, work the throttle then take it off choke.

Sounds like an old girlfriend of mine.........

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Heh, the damndest thing just happened with the one I was bitching about earlier. I was out of fuel mix so I made up a new batch, and the thing runs just fine now. Must've made up the first batch with some shitty gas. Whoops.....

I was getting ready to say, a lot of the problems are caused by either NOT mixing the gas/oil ratio properly or leaving the weedeater full of gas to sit over the winter and the gas goes bad. Also use premium gas with higher octane. But remember when you are done using your trimmer or mower or chainsaw or any other equipment that is seasonal, ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS run that fucker out of gas completely. Even if you have to just let it sit and run. Run it empty.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Also, I have a Poulan push weedeater on wheels. Those things will destroy weeds big around as your thumb. Runs on straight gas.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Good luck. That has to be the same one I bought.

Does it look like a cheap piece of shit? LMAO

Heh, indeed it does, but I would rather have something that looks like a cheap piece of crap that works, than a high dollar model that won't start and is good for nighting but a fuggen door stop.

We'll see what happens.

Groves
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Apparently, anything brand that could double as the name of your favorite sushi bar makes a great trimmer.

We went with a Maruyama a few years ago. Very happy.

Demonpenz
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
is it that hard to type out tits up?

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
is it that hard to type out tits up?

Yes, thanks for asking.

DeezNutz
07-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Heh, indeed it does, but I would rather have something that looks like a cheap piece of crap that works, than a high dollar model that won't start and is good for nighting but a fuggen door stop.

We'll see what happens.

When you fire this thing up...er...plug it in, let me know what you think. If it's two for two in positive recommendations, I'll get one of these POS, too.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 06:10 PM
When you fire this thing up...er...plug it in, let me know what you think. If it's two for two in positive recommendations, I'll get one of these POS, too.

I abused weeds and grass with it about two hours ago and it woked well. The key point here is, IT RAN!

DeezNutz
07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I abused weeds and grass with it about two hours ago and it woked well. The key point here is, IT RAN!

Yeah, that's half the battle. LMAO.

Thanks.

googlegoogle
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Should also post on a review board.

You could probably steer hundreds from not buying it.

googlegoogle
07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
bTLOOK.

Did you even try to fix it?

You do know half the time it's the owner that's at fault.

google weed eater carburetor problems and you'll get a million hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1xsHICIBqk&feature=fvw

Next time use some Stabil when not in use. Carbs gunk and varnish up with standing gas.

Bugeater
07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
bTLOOK.

Did you even try to fix it?

You do know half the time it's the owner that's at fault.

google weed eater carburetor problems and you'll get a million hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1xsHICIBqk&feature=fvw

Next time use some Stabil when not in use. Carbs gunk and varnish up with standing gas.
Bleh, that shit isn't worth the trouble for outdoor power equipment. Just do what Hog Farmer said and run the damn things out of gas at the end of the season.

cdcox
07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
The problem with my weed wacker is the auto string feed won't work right. Totally worthless.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, that's half the battle. LMAO.

Thanks.

You bet, good luck.

googlegoogle
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Bleh, that shit isn't worth the trouble for outdoor power equipment. Just do what Hog Farmer said and run the damn things out of gas at the end of the season.

hogfarmers idea wont work. there will still be gas left over and it will dry out -then varnish/gum up.

Use a fuel stabilizer and a fuel line cleaner(sea foam?).

Road Hog
07-11-2010, 09:39 PM
If you can find it, get a brand called Red-Max. Kind of pricey, but I've had mine for 15 years.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
echo makes a good trimmer.

kepp
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Heh, the damndest thing just happened with the one I was bitching about earlier. I was out of fuel mix so I made up a new batch, and the thing runs just fine now. Must've made up the first batch with some shitty gas. Whoops....

Or too much oil in the mix?

kepp
07-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I bought a Weed Eater brand cordless trimmer (18v rechargeable) a couple years ago. It ran fine for a while but the battery slowly died until it was unusable at the start of this summer. My yard is too big for a corded electric so I went out and bought a Poulan gas trimmer - 33cc engine with the single string setup instead of the spool. It also has a lot of attachments available for it like an edger, pruning saw, etc. I can't speak to its longevity though as I've only had it for a few months. So far, so good, though.

Bugeater
07-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Or too much oil in the mix?
I suppose I can't rule that out as a possibility as a beer or three goes hand in hand with yard work. Although the thing did act up for me a bit again last night after I posted that, but it's still better than it was.

kepp
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I suppose I can't rule that out as a possibility as a beer or three goes hand in hand with yard work. Although the thing did act up for me a bit again last night after I posted that, but it's still better than it was.

Yeah, I know my trimmer's instructions talk about the mix ratio, but I never measure that stuff.

teedubya
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
QUIT EATING ALL MY WEED!!!!

btlook1
07-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok...as I said last weekend. Today went out purchased a new Stihl Model FS56 RC
The easy start model. Extra string and the weed eater was a little less than $300 with tax from my local John Deere place...Yes I know JD's are over priced.
Filled it up with fuel at the store started on 4th pull. Brought it home let is sit all afternoon then fired it up about 730 tonight...first pull. Cut the crap out of some grass and weeds that my old junk weed eater wouldn't even touch in about half the time it normally takes... Let's just say this after about 2hrs of operation....it's worth every penny I spent plus comes with a 2yr. full warranty. If I get 5yrs out of it its more than paid for itself as I usually go through the 100 dollar models every other year or so....more than enough power and cuts great. Con's heavier haven't got the shoulder strap just right yet and get's warm. Runs like my 039 Stihl Saw....very nice!!! Would recommend if you are looking for a new one...time will tell.

googlegoogle
07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Ok...as I said last weekend. Today went out purchased a new Stihl Model FS56 RC
The easy start model. Extra string and the weed eater was a little less than $300 with tax from my local John Deere place...Yes I know JD's are over priced.
Filled it up with fuel at the store started on 4th pull. Brought it home let is sit all afternoon then fired it up about 730 tonight...first pull. Cut the crap out of some grass and weeds that my old junk weed eater wouldn't even touch in about half the time it normally takes... Let's just say this after about 2hrs of operation....it's worth every penny I spent plus comes with a 2yr. full warranty. If I get 5yrs out of it its more than paid for itself as I usually go through the 100 dollar models every other year or so....more than enough power and cuts great. Con's heavier haven't got the shoulder strap just right yet and get's warm. Runs like my 039 Stihl Saw....very nice!!! Would recommend if you are looking for a new one...time will tell.

leaving gas in the tank for long periods will varnish the carbs. Happens to 'all' engines.

buy some stabil

btlook1
07-17-2010, 08:27 PM
leaving gas in the tank for long periods will varnish the carbs. Happens to 'all' engines.

buy some stabil

what does that have to do with anything? it's not like it's going to sit all summer. Maybe come winter time.....or maybe like everyone else just run it out of gas....

Bugeater
07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
what does that have to do with anything? it's not like it's going to sit all summer. Maybe come winter time.....or maybe like everyone else just run it out of gas....
He's a dumbass, many 2 cycle oils have fuel stabilizer in them, just use one of those and you'll be fine.

googlegoogle
07-17-2010, 09:06 PM
He's a dumbass, many 2 cycle oils have fuel stabilizer in them, just use one of those and you'll be fine.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=weed+eater+carbs+gummed&cts=1279422295515&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

442,000 say you're a sniveling c**t.

Who's the dumbass you redneck? I'm sure you're a chemical engineer! ROFL

boogblaster
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM
My neighbors use a goat for their weedeating .. plus they use it for sexual-relief ....

MadMax
07-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Shindawa is your answer :)

crispystl
07-18-2010, 07:32 AM
i've got a ryobi trimmer with the attach-it feature (add a tiller, edger, leaf blower, pole-saw etc) from home depot about 2.5 years ago. cost about a hunnerd for just the eater.
the tiller add on is awesome for an average garden (mine is 200 sq feet), just has to stop every 20 min or so to detangle all the roots and dead grass.
the weed eater itself when reattached sometimes *doesn't take* and has to be jostled just right to fall into place. other than that, my ryobi seems pretty cool.

oh yea, i only use the single string pieces to weed eat ( 5 bucks for like 18 pieces). that part can be pricey, but i average 2 string per yard. fwiw.

I have a ryobi. I have had it for like 4 years and it starts right up. The string assembly broke but I bought a new one with the plastic blades. Man if you guys don't have the plastic blades get them those things are bad ass.

crispystl
07-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Ryobi is crap.
Motor runs forever, but string release mechanism is an abortion.
Constantly rewinding the messs.
Want something better myself.

Yup I concur, but the motor is what you want. You can buy a string assembly for like 15 bucks.

Bugeater
07-18-2010, 08:11 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=weed+eater+carbs+gummed&cts=1279422295515&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

442,000 say you're a sniveling c**t.

Who's the dumbass you redneck? I'm sure you're a chemical engineer! ROFL
OK, you win, I'm sure as hell not going to argue with someone who knows how to use Google.

MatriculatingHank
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Just found this thread. Hoping to go through it and make a decision.
Anyone else wish to add their thoughts??

mlyonsd
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Stihl.

The Dawg
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
A goat.

mlyonsd
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
A goat.That's true, after the first freeze you can eat the goat.

1moreTRich
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Husqvarna

My husband worked for a landscaping place for a year and when we moved up in the world we bought a trimmer similar to the one he used on the job. 6 years later, thing still runs perfect.

The Dawg
04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
That's true, after the first freeze you can eat the goat.

Best of both worlds really.

CrazyPhuD
04-20-2012, 01:06 PM
A goat.

Sheep they taste better and provide nighttime entertainment until you eat them.

listopencil
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I just looked. Mine's a Poulan Pro Link. Seems to work well, I just bought it at the end of Winter.

listopencil
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Sheep they taste better and provide nighttime entertainment until you eat them.

They wander off if your place isn't fenced in though. And they tend to overgraze certain spots.

rageeumr
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I bought a relatively cheap Echo at Home Depot after I bought my house in March of '06. So I guess the thing is 6 years old now. It sorta looks and feels a little cheap, but the damn thing runs like a top. I've never done anything to it but add gas, and it fires up within 3 or 4 pulls every single time.

I might have just gotten lucky, but I'm pretty satisfied.

listopencil
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I bought a relatively cheap Echo at Home Depot after I bought my house in March of '06. So I guess the thing is 6 years old now. It sorta looks and feels a little cheap, but the damn thing runs like a top. I've never done anything to it but add gas, and it fires up within 3 or 4 pulls every single time.

I might have just gotten lucky, but I'm pretty satisfied.

Do you run it out of gas before putting it away?

rageeumr
04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Do you run it out of gas before putting it away?

Never. I know I should, but I don't. I don't even run it out of gas when I put it away for the winter. I just shake it really good before the first use in the Spring :)

Chieftain58
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
On the exhaust/muffler you will notice a screen... get rid of the screen and it will run just fine......

Hoover
04-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Just bought a Stihl today!

Okie_Apparition
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
All it does is cover me in minced posion ivy/oak salad
**** the weed eater

J Diddy
04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Hmmm, it's 4-20 and there is a dicussion on weed eaters. How ironic.

My recommendation is to not be near one because you will never have any to smoke.

Bugeater
04-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Heh, I still have the same Homelite piece of crap that I mentioned in this thread 2 years ago. I haven't even tried to start it up yet this year, but I guarangaddumtee when I do it's going to piss me off.

LiveSteam
04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I mix one 3rd this with a gallon of gas & the oil. They run like a champ.
http://www.odonnellracing.com/airplanefuel/plane-helifuel-main.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Cox-Logo-250-x-250.jpg/150px-Cox-Logo-250-x-250.jpg

Noss
04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Ok I have had it with these cheap weed eater brand weed eaters. Once again the damn thing won't run....I have went through a couple of them over the years. Never again! Going to go buy me a Stihl next week. E-mailed the company that makes these things this morning and let them know what a piece of crap they make! Don't buy the weed eater brand if you want something your going to use more than a few times they are junk. Broke it in to pieces in a fit of rage this morning! Buyer beware!

You can't go wrong with a Stihl. I have one that is 20 years old and is still starts on the first pull.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Ran a whole shit wad of electric fence this week. Turn in the cows and goats over night and its mowed.

boogblaster
04-20-2012, 11:09 PM
hate em .. i let my son deal with the worthless pieces of chit .. plus its good entertainment .....

listopencil
04-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Ran a whole shit wad of electric fence this week. Turn in the cows and goats over night and its mowed.

Damn. I should have thought of that. Then put collars on all the animals and the kids...done.

The Dawg
04-20-2012, 11:46 PM
In all seriousness, I have used a Stihl for the past 3 years and I love it. Never gives me any trouble. Great for my little lawn business I have going on the side besides work and school. Very reliable and seems to have a long life ahead of it. (I hope)

btlook1
04-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Broke out the weed eater today hadn't been ran since last Sept. or so. Put a little gas in it, hit the pump and it started 3rd pull. Ran 2 tanks of gas through it and will run 1 more at least this weekend. Stihl is the only way to go for weedeaters and saws!