PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs AP: Chiefs trying Gilberry at OLB?

talastan
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry if repost.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/7/12/1565243/chiefs-have-talked-about-moving#storyjump

Chiefs Have Talked About Moving Wallace Gilberry To Linebacker
by Joel Thorman on Jul 12, 2010 9:01 AM PDT

Chiefs DE Wallace Gilberry is hosting a camp at his former high school and talked this week about what he wants to teach the players. In Chiefs style, he stressed leadership and doing the fundamentals. He also dropped this little nugget:

"There has been some talk of moving me to linebacker," Gilberry said. "I am a defensive end, but I would play where I am needed."

Gilberry is a defensive end and has shown more ability to get to the quarterback than any of the other defensive ends so I could see the Chiefs reasoning for thinking about giving him more time at linebacker.

He's 6'2" and 268 pounds so his size would suggest linebacker might even be a better fit.

I think this is a situation where the Chiefs realize Gilberry is a good football player so they want to get him on the field. Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson are the starting defensive ends without question so Gilberry would need to find another position to get on the field more often. He came in on a lot of nickel packages in 2009.

He's also one of the Chiefs better pass rushers, a major area of concern in 2010. He was second on the team with 4.5 sacks in 2009. That's 3.5 more than Dorsey and Jackson combined.

So if the Chiefs were to do this, it would make a lot of sense and hold true Todd Haley's philosophy that the Chiefs are about getting as many good players on the field as they can.

Gonzo
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh shit... In.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I think he would fit better at OLB given his build. Plus he has to be a better pass rusher than Vrabel. Question is, can he drop in coverage?

Skyy God
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
But how would this impact Studebaker?????

InChiefsHeaven
07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Trying to pull a Tamba...hope it works if so...

CupidStunt
07-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Nickel DE/OLB has always been the obvious fit. He's never going to get snaps on 1st or 2nd down with his hand in the dirt.

suds79
07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
But how would this impact Studebaker?????

May the better pass rusher win that OLB spot.

Dante84
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Interasante. Do we slide Vrabel back inside???

ROLB- Vrabel/Stude-a-bay-bay/Gilllllllaaaayyy!
LOLB- Hali

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
But...but...HOW WOULD THIS IMPACT TEH VRABEL?!???! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

CoMoChief
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
LOL our depth is horrible.

talastan
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
May the better pass rusher win that OLB spot.

This! If Gilberry pushes Stude and Vrable then that makes the position all that much better. As for moving Vrable inside that might be a good idea and apparently one that they are trying in nickle situations. This actually makes me feel much better about the coaching than the pass rush. It is good to see Romeo is exploring all the options and not just trying to fit round peg in square hole.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM

Truth.

This is our depth:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/joyciana/Blog%20Photos/pool5.jpg

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
running downs: Hali - Williams - Vrabel - Studebaker
Passing Downs: Hali - Vrabel - Studebaker - Gilberry

Dante84
07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Passing Downs: Hali - Vrabel - Studebaker - Gilberry

No DEEEE JAAAAAYYYY????

(or are those just your outsides?)

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
No DEEEE JAAAAAYYYY????

(or are those just your outsides?)
i'm still not convinced that DJ is too much of a dumbass and can't keep it together and start.

but you're right ... he should be in the passing package

Passing Downs: Hali - Derrick Johnson - Vrabel - Gilberry

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
i'm still not convinced that DJ is not too much of a dumbass to keep it together and start.

I like this better. I like DJ on passing downs despite how inconsistent he is.....But wait. What about that top of the line "run stuffer" Mays? (sarcasm people, sarcasm)

mcaj22
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
so basically the Chiefs...

are saying talent wise, Gilberry can do things about the same if not better than Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, but because the Chiefs have a lot of money invested in the latter two players, they HAVE to start/see the field, otherwise it will look like they screwed up/are wrong. So since Gilberry might have some talent and isn't a top 5 draft pick, they still realize he's most likely better than the starters and they have to get him on the field.

I think this is kind of sad, and it shows that at least Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey are incumbents to their position no matter what the competition is ala Matt Cassel

Saccopoo
07-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Depth and/or experience is an issue at the offensive tackle spot and wide receiver. I'm not worried about linebacker. The inside spots are solid with Belcher and Johnson with Mays and Williams backing them up.

On the outside, keep an eye out for Pierre Walters this summer.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

are saying talent wise, Gilberry can do things about the same if not better than Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, but because the Chiefs have a lot of money invested in the latter two players, they HAVE to start/see the field, otherwise it will look like they screwed up/are wrong. So since Gilberry might have some talent and isn't a top 5 draft pick, they still realize he's most likely better than the starters and they have to get him on the field.

I think this is kind of sad, and it shows that at least Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey are incumbents to their position no matter what the competition is ala Matt Cassel
No, you fucking moron. They are saying that Gilberry has talent at rushing the passer and want to get that talent on the field.

i swear the pathetic little nags around here trying to stir shit just because they like to bitch. We have enough problems without making shit up.

Ralphy Boy
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
This! If Gilberry pushes Stude and Vrable then that makes the position all that much better. As for moving Vrable inside that might be a good idea and apparently one that they are trying in nickle situations. This actually makes me feel much better about the coaching than the pass rush. It is good to see Romeo is exploring all the options and not just trying to fit round peg in square hole.

Romeo played Vrabel inside when Brushci went down and he did very well. Given his lack of speed, I'd put him inside all the time. Having him next to DJ on a full time basis would help to salvage DJ's career.

I like it.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
i could also see them switch up the Dline on obvious passing downs by moving one of our DE inside.

Hali - DJ - Vrabel - Studebaker
Gilberry - Dorsey - Jackson

we could actually line Hali up to Gilberry is a set similiar to Thomas/Smith

on the line: Hali Gilberry Dorsey Jackson

and no ... i'm not saying they are as good as Thomas/Smith

mcaj22
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
No, you ****ing moron. They are saying that Gilberry has talent at rushing the passer and want to get that talent on the field.

i swear the pathetic little nags around here trying to stir shit just because they like to bitch. We have enough problems without making shit up.

He's been a defensive end his whole football career you stupid fucking idiot. He is doing things on the line that is no different than what Dorsey or Tyson Jackson can do. They are trying him at a new position he has never played before on the sheer fact he is good at rushing the passer. The guy is very versatile. His size is moot. I don't care if he's undersized to play defensive end he still shows he can do it like anyone else on this roster. And that's not saying much.

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I think Jackson would be the one to kick inside in this situation Laz, and have Gilberry play his natural DE position, plus considering Jackson weighs nearly 30 pounds more than him...

Dante84
07-12-2010, 12:09 PM
i'm still not convinced that DJ is too much of a dumbass and can't keep it together and start.

I like the passing downs line up, however I'd put Stude-a-bay-bay in instead of Gillllaaaay. Remember when that horse-cocked young linebacker had two picks in one game?

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-12-2010, 12:09 PM
This is probably a referendum on how horrible Sheffield was during OTAs.

Titty Meat
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Gillberry was great last year

Micjones
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
How fast is Gilberry?

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
He's been a defensive end his whole football career you stupid ****ing idiot. He is doing things on the line that is no different than what Dorsey or Tyson Jackson can do. They are trying him at a new position he has never played before on the sheer fact he is good at rushing the passer. The guy is very versatile. His size is moot. I don't care if he's undersized to play defensive end he still shows he can do it like anyone else on this roster. And that's not saying much.
and yet maybe he's good at rushing the passer but not good at stopping the run. so they are looking to put him in a situation where he can make some plays.

moose knuckle face looking mother fucker

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 12:14 PM
How fast is Gilberry?

He has a slow time, but he's one of those guys that plays faster than he times. You know, like the rest of our team.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I like the passing downs line up, however I'd put Stude-a-bay-bay in instead of Gillllaaaay. Remember when that horse-cocked young linebacker had two picks in one game?
umm ... this whole thread is about the possibility of using Gilberry in passing situations.

so basically your saying "this thread is stupid, play studebaker"

:doh!:

GoHuge
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
umm ... this whole thread is about the possibility of using Gilberry in passing situations.

so basically your saying "this thread is stupid, play studebaker"

:doh!:No Laz this thread is representative of how shitty our front seven is. We're still in the cut/paste throw shit on a wall and hope it sticks.........at least for a few minutes. It's still probably going to slide off and hit the floor leaving a shit stain, but it's were we're at. I really wish DJ could get past his mental midget syndrome. Would help alot of course but it's still going to be like playing Callaspo at 2nd. A great play and then a WTF............

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
No Laz this thread is representative of how shitty our front seven is. We're still in the cut/paste throw shit on a wall and hope it sticks.........at least for a few minutes. It's still probably going to slide off and hit the floor leaving a shit stain, but it's were we're at. I really wish DJ could get past his mental midget syndrome. Would help alot of course but it's still going to be like playing Callaspo at 2nd. A great play and then a WTF............
Dante ... is that you Dante?

Dante84
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Dante ... is that you Dante?

Naw. Me is me, and I am him (me).

I thought it applied because I basically was saying that yes, unless Gillaay out plays John Holmes/Peter North -abaker, StudesMcGudes should be the man.

So yeah, I'm farting on this thread.

jbwm89
07-12-2010, 01:50 PM

No basically you don't keep Tjack or Dorsey from getting the pt he needs to (hopefully) develop to play another DE that has shown a little promise when getting to the quarterback, especially if he seems to fit well as a OLB where we have some need. We are talking about fucking gilberry here you don't give up on a top pick because someone MIGHT be marginally better, especially if you won 4 games last year.

wasi
07-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Gilberry wouldn't be an 3 down DE in a 3-4 so I like the move.

BarrySPAMAID
07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Speculation. Speculation, and AP reaching for content during a slow time. Personally, I don't want to stop by the planet to read crap from AP.

Because that's what it is. Crap. They do nothing different. They even push more ads in your face than any other Chiefs fan site.

I am not impressed with Joel, or his mediocre website. Sorry.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Speculation. Speculation, and AP reaching for content during a slow time. Personally, I don't want to stop by the planet to read crap from AP.

Because that's what it is. Crap. They do nothing different. They even push more ads in your face than any other Chiefs fan site.

Nick?

Brock
07-12-2010, 02:31 PM

You were impressed with WPI enough that you hired on there.

Titty Meat
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM

This guy looks like a meth addict.

Dante84
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Barry being selective is pretty hilarious in and of itself.

The Franchise
07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Barry is the biggest douche on this board.....and that's saying a lot.

MoreLemonPledge
07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I talked to Gilberry right after the '09 draft and he had mentioned that he was really hoping to play OLB, but would probably be stuck at DE. Not sure how he would feel about it now, given that he had some relative success at DE, but it's worth noting that at one point he wanted to play there.

bevischief
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
What does Mecca say about this?

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Gilberry wouldn't be an 3 down DE in a 3-4 so I like the move.

He was a 3 down 3-4 DE at Bama...:spock:

I agree its a good move, but he's been a monstrous 3-4 DE before.

jjchieffan
07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Anybody heard this before? Is there anything to it?

What really caught my eye were some comments from Mitch Holthus. “Mitch said they have to be very careful how they use DJ because if he gets too many snaps he can’t breathe effectively and becomes an ineffective player. Because of that, the Chiefs are trying to figure out the best times to use him and how often to use him so that he is at peak performance……It seems as though Mitch thinks we’ll see him more in the second half than the first half.”

Jethopper
07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Vrabel at MLB. LOL!!!! when is the last time you saw him take on a blocker and win. I swear to god some of you are pure comedy gold sometimes.

Rausch
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Vrabel at MLB. LOL!!!! when is the last time you saw him take on a blocker and win. I swear to god some of you are pure comedy gold sometimes.

Heh.

Well, playing MLB would be the true meaning of stop-gap...

Yeah, honestly, I'm just fine with cutting him...

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Most of us want to cut him, but we have to realize Pioli wouldn't allow that to happen. Plus he just signed an extension. He's the "leader" of the defense, therefore we need to forget about it.

Titty Meat
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM

What really caught my eye were some comments from Mitch Holthus. “Mitch said they have to be very careful how they use DJ because if he gets too many snaps he can’t breathe effectively and becomes an ineffective player. Because of that, the Chiefs are trying to figure out the best times to use him and how often to use him so that he is at peak performance……It seems as though Mitch thinks we’ll see him more in the second half than the first half.”

Soren Petro mentioned this during the draft.

Halfcan
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
He got 3.5 more sacks than dorsey and t jack combined-but yet he has to move to a different position???

I thought Haley is on the record saying the best player plays??

Jackson barely even wrinkled anyones jersey-how is his spot safe??

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
What does Mecca say about this?

He said, "OMG BEAVISCHIEF IS TEH AWESOME TO ELEVENTY"!!!!11111

milkman
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
He's been a defensive end his whole football career you stupid ****ing idiot. He is doing things on the line that is no different than what Dorsey or Tyson Jackson can do. They are trying him at a new position he has never played before on the sheer fact he is good at rushing the passer. The guy is very versatile. His size is moot. I don't care if he's undersized to play defensive end he still shows he can do it like anyone else on this roster. And that's not saying much.

You know, it's truly amazing how some of you dumbasses come on here and start talking shit and everyone that reads your stupid shit can see that you don't know shit.

milkman
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
He got 3.5 more sacks than dorsey and t jack combined-but yet he has to move to a different position???

I thought Haley is on the record saying the best player plays??

Jackson barely even wrinkled anyones jersey-how is his spot safe??

Did you happen to notice how some Brown scrub RB gashed the Chiefs for record yardage when Dorsey missed a game to injury?

We need a pass rush, but a pass rush don't do you a damn bit if good of the opponent doesn't have to pass.

booger
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

saw that a few weeks back and that was the first i heard of it. interesting for sure. wonder if it is some type of asthma or what exactly.

booger
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
earlier this offseason whe they were doing the workouts/ota's etc, looney interviewed him once and brought up the talks of a move to OLB. Gilberry said at that time it wasn't something the coaches brought up but he did hear it talked about mostly from fans or media. Just like dorsey to NT. that video is probably somewhere on the team site yet.

he didn't get drafted because he ran something like a 5 flat 40 or something close to it while he did get 22 sacks a alabama.

he did prove last year to hold up well playing the 5tech when needed......from a toughness, willingness, and effort perspective. Other times his undersized frame at less than 270 and realistically expecting much from a guy asked to do that too often and it can get ugly. What he can do is be similar to a guy Crennel had in Jarvis Green in NE and play DE with his hand in the dirt in passing situations or even as a nickel DT as well and get pressure from his motor/effort because thats the type of player he is. I'm not sure standing him up in a 2 pt stance makes him a faster player or he would adapt like Hali did. Trying him out there and seeing wouldn't hurt to see how athletic he can move, etc. I just don't see that they would mess around with him losing weight or calling it a full time switch when they could just try to build on what he did well last year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Did you happen to notice how some Brown scrub RB gashed the Chiefs for record yardage when Dorsey missed a game to injury?

We need a pass rush, but a pass rush don't do you a damn bit if good of the opponent doesn't have to pass.

Yes. Yes I did.

And I haven't short-sighted Glenn since.

OnTheWarpath15
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM

I posted the stats a while back, but in fairness, the run defense was getting gashed when Dorsey WAS in the lineup.

I want to say there were 8 games or more where the opponent rushed for over 150, not including Cleveland.