PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Professional Indoor Soccer Returns to the Kansas City

penguinz
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
MISL ADDS NEW TEAM FOR 2010-11 SEASON
Professional Indoor Soccer Returns to the Kansas City Metro Area and
Independence, Missouri

The Major Indoor Soccer League announced that professional indoor soccer will return to the greater Kansas City Metropolitan area for the upcoming 2010-11 season. The League’s Management Committee has granted unanimous approval to the newest MISL team, the Comets, who will play their home games at the Independence Events Center, located in Independence, MO.

“The MISL is thrilled to be returning to the greater Kansas City Metropolitan Area and excited to have one of the best professional indoor soccer markets as part of our League once again,” said MISL Commissioner David Grimaldi. “Owners Mickey Scheetz, Ed Scheetz and Brian Budzinski are committed to bringing the exciting, high-scoring and affordable game of professional indoor soccer to Independence, MO and making all the fans and supporters of the Comets proud. In spite of the economy, the MISL is again attracting the interest of many cities, arenas and investors. The Comets is only the start, a great start, and we will soon be making further, exciting announcements regarding our growth, expansion and strategic relationships.”

Mickey Scheetz, Chairman of the Board and long-time Portland Oregon business owner and resident has teamed up with his son Ed Scheetz and Brian Budzinski to form Top of the Arc, LLC., the ownership group responsible for bringing the new team to Independence Missouri.

”The return of professional indoor soccer presents a unique opportunity to give back to the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan community,” said Ed Scheetz. “We are excited to partner with the City of Independence and plan to work as hard as possible to provide a fun, family oriented, exciting sports product that gives true value to our fans’ entertainment dollar.”

The Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area has a rich history of indoor soccer, dating back to the 1981-82 season when the Kansas City Comets joined the original MISL under the leadership of Tim Leiweke, presently the CEO of AEG, INC and the LA Galaxy of the MLS. The Comets remained in Kansas City until the completion of the 1990-91 season at which time the Atlanta Attack moved to Kansas City, becoming the Kansas City Attack and competing in the NPSL. The Attack changed its name back to the Comets for the 2001-02 MISL season and continued playing thru the 2004-05 MISL campaign. For more information on the newest MISL team, visit the team’s website www.missouricomets.com (http://www.missouricomets.com/).

The 5,800-seat Independence Events Center features 25 luxury suites and 2,000 paved parking spaces on site and is also home to the Central Hockey League Missouri Mavericks. The events center also hosts concerts, trade shows, professional sporting events, festivals and community ceremonies. For more information on the Independence Events Center, please visit the venue’s website at http://www.independenceeventscenter.com (http://www.independenceeventscenter.com/).

About The MISL
The MISL represents the Major League of professional indoor soccer in the United States, Mexico and Canada and features the finest indoor soccer players from around the world. The league currently has six member clubs for the 2010-11 season: the Baltimore Blast, La RaZa de Monterrey, Milwaukee Wave, Philadelphia KiXX, Rockford Rampage and the newest MISL club, the Comets. The upcoming 2010-11 regular season will begin in mid-November and end at the end of March. The postseason will begin in late March and conclude in the beginning of April. Home openers and the complete 2010-11 MISL regular season schedule will be released in the near future. For more information about the MISL, visit the League’s official website www.MISL.net (http://www.misl.net/).

http://www.misl.net/news/?article_id=235

nychief
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Where is Geno Schiraldi?

Donger
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
high-scoring

Cool. Non-ghey soccer. Now, if they allow hitting and stuff, it will be completely ghey-free.

blaise
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Whew! For a minute I thought they'd be playing at the Sprint Center, and I don't want anything to interfere with the arrival of a new NBA team, which I'm sure will be happening very soon.

Demonpenz
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Whew! For a minute I thought they'd be playing at the Sprint Center, and I don't want anything to interfere with the arrival of a new NBA team, which I'm sure will be happening very soon.

? I doubt we get a NBA team for awhile. They sold our tax dollars to get a team, but I haven't heard a peep about it yet.

blaise
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
? I doubt we get a NBA team for awhile. They sold our tax dollars to get a team, but I haven't heard a peep about it yet.

No man, it's coming soon. We just need to debate what's better: NBA or NHL. Discuss.

Saulbadguy
07-12-2010, 02:18 PM
No man, it's coming soon. We just need to debate what's better: NBA or NHL. Discuss.

NBA. Lower ticket prices, better managed league (imo), more exposure in this area of the country, and more exposure overall in the world.

Valiant
07-12-2010, 02:37 PM
NBA. Lower ticket prices, better managed league (imo), more exposure in this area of the country, and more exposure overall in the world.

Personally people just need to put money into my segway jousting league..

Deberg_1990
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
When does KC get a Medieval Times??

penguinz
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Where is Geno Schiraldi?Coaching youth soccer in Johnson County.

CrazyPhuD
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry this is a big insult to everyone. If you're going to call them the comets then you need to call them the Kansas City Comets. Calling them the missouri comets is beyond moronic. Either fix it or change the name.

kstater
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
A. I remember going to Comets games as a little kid, great time. Hope the bring back the same intro with the shooting comet coming from the ceiling.

B. Scheetz? Isn't that the name of the guy shyguyms mult was using?

C. There's only 4 other teams in the league? IIRC, it used to be a pretty big league.

Baby Lee
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Coaching youth soccer in Johnson County.

Knowing or guessing? He coached me in Grandview a few seasons in the mid-80s.

Predarat
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
That is not the MISL anyways, it is that stupid NPSL with 2 and 3 point goals. What a joke. They should not have been allowed to take that name. That is a travesty they are calling them the Comets too. Horible.