PDA

View Full Version : Football Is the Super Bowl winner always the best team in the league?

petegz28
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Is the SB winner always the best team in the league? Or would you say sometimes it's a good team with a little luck? Poll to follow.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
heh.....no.....sometimes its just the team on the best roll. Like the Giants a few years ago.

Its better to be good in Dec/Jan than in Sept/Oct/nov

But hey, they won it all, nuff said.

OnTheWarpath15
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
heh.....no.....sometimes its just the team on the best roll. Like the Giants a few years ago.

Its better to be good in Dec/Jan than in Sept/Oct/nov

But hey, they won it all, nuff said.

Exactly.

It's the best team when it matters most.

KcMizzou
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I'd like to vote for both option 2 and 3.

Reaper16
07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
No. And that's why playoffs kick so much ass.

RJ
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
No, of course not. Which is why I don't understand why so many people think we need a national championship for college. It's not like it really settles the matter of who is the best team. Just like in basketball, all it settles is who is best/healthiest/luckiest at the end of the year.

But it's still fun to watch.

KcMizzou
07-12-2010, 07:43 PM
No, of course not. Which is why I don't understand why so many people think we need a national championship for college. It's not like it really settles the matter of who is the best team. Just like in basketball, all it settles is who is best/healthiest/luckiest at the end of the year.

But it's still fun to watch.That, is why.

I'm a fan. (And I really want a college football playoff.)

KcMizzou
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
No. And that's why playoffs kick so much ass.Exactly. They provide the drama and uncertainty that makes being a fan fun in the first place.

Saul Good
07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes. Always. The better team always wins in the NFL. I promise. There are never upsets.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF4vhbBMGhQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF4vhbBMGhQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Buck
07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Gotta love Paper Champions....

Lex Luthor
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM

There's a difference between who is the "best" team and who wins the championship game. The only thing that counts is who wins the championship. Talking about luck is for the losers.

That's why they play the games.

KcMizzou
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Gotta love Paper Champions....Shit, if the NFL didn't have playoffs, your team would have a few Championships by now.

Buck
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Actually, they probably are the best TEAM.

Doesn't mean they are the most talented group of individuals.

You've got to work very well together to win it all. I voted for the 3rd option though.

Buck
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Shit, if the NFL didn't have playoffs, your team would have a few Championships by now.

If they did it the same way they do the English Premier League, they would have 1 (2006). I think the Chargers were the Vegas Odds favorites to win it last year before the playoffs started, but they were the #2 seed (Colts #1).

Bearcat
07-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Because there are usually more than 2 teams that deserve a chance, and even if it doesn't guarantee that you're the best team, it's still kind of a big deal. If the NFL had one big league and the top two at the end of the year played in the Super Bowl, it would be ridiculous, too.

Saul Good
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
A more interesting question to me is whether the best team has won the championship more often in NCAA basketball or NCAA football since the advent of the BCS.

CrazyPhuD
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Heh the superbowl is almost NEVER the best team in the league. Ditto for the NCAA tourney. If it's single elimination too much chance comes into play. You could argue the NBA and the MLB are the two league who are less susceptible to chance.

RJ
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
There's a difference between who is the "best" team and who wins the championship game. The only thing that counts is who wins the championship. Talking about luck is for the losers.

That's why they play the games.

Yes, that's my point. My answer to the starter question is "No, the best team does not always win the championship".

RJ
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Heh the superbowl is almost NEVER the best team in the league. Ditto for the NCAA tourney. If it's single elimination too much chance comes into play. You could argue the NBA and the MLB are the two league who are less susceptible to chance.

That's probably true.

Bugeater
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I like how the one person who voted 'Yes' is a fan of team that was the recipient of two of the luckiest breaks ever.

OnTheWarpath15
07-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I like how the one person who voted 'Yes' is a fan of team that was the recipient of two of the luckiest breaks ever.

In fairness, they were also on the wrong end of one of the luckiest breaks ever. (Tyree)

Bugeater
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
In fairness, they were also on the wrong end of one of the luckiest breaks ever. (Tyree)
Heh, indeed. Still though, I can't help but wonder sometimes how much of history would be rewritten if 'tuck rule' never happens.

Psyko Tek
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
No. And that's why playoffs kick so much ass.

this is the reason the NFL rules
one and done

bring it or go home

if the rest of the boring sports leagues would do this they would be much better

nba, nhl, mlb

that's why there is march madness

DaFace
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Kind of an obvious answer here, ain't it?

boogblaster
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
last year the vikes lost in the end throwing a interception .. the colts the same .. so you could say the saints were lucky .. plus they got by with late hits on the qb ....

Deberg_1990
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
this is the reason the NFL rules
one and done

bring it or go home

if the rest of the boring sports leagues would do this they would be much better

nba, nhl, mlb

that's why there is march madness

NBA, NHL and MLB are completely different animals than the NFL.

Those leagues are more like marathons. You cant play 82, 100+ games then have a one and done playoff system. That wouldnt be fair to good teams.

I do agree those leagues have far too many regular season games though.

Lex Luthor
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Heh the superbowl is almost NEVER the best team in the league.
I think you may be exaggerating a little here.

Phobia
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
In my mind, yes. You take advantage of the opportunities presented. You overcome adversity. The team that does these things might have some element of luck but you don't luck into appearing in the SuperBowl. If you make it and you win it all - you're the best and you have the hardware. Some might argue the 1993 and 1995 Chiefs were the best in the league those years. Even as a Chiefs fan I know they weren't because they got bounced.

Psyko Tek
07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
NBA, NHL and MLB are completely different animals than the NFL.

Those leagues are more like marathons. You cant play 82, 100+ games then have a one and done playoff system. That wouldnt be fair to good teams.

I do agree those leagues have far too many regular season games though.

I also dislioke the 8,000 games they play
it makes games "worthless"

losing one or 2 doesn't hurt you
so
it's not as important

cut the seasons in half games start to matter

and one and done is the only way to run a playoff

big drama high stakes

good times

cdcox
07-12-2010, 09:22 PM
The SB champion is the best team in the league about 20 to 25% of the time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=57

Dylan
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Is the Super Bowl winner always the best team in the league?

The New York Giants had achieved one of the biggest upsets in NFL history with a 17-14 Super Bowl victory over the previously undefeated New England Patriots were among the very best in 2007 NFL season. -- my boys -- they were killing everybody down the stretch! http://www.icecaves.net/community/smilies/sparkle.gif

http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbox/3d5a42b9db04c8079b236221bdec823d/NFL-SUPER-BOWL-XLII.jpg

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (10) passes a touchdown in the end zone against the New England Patriots during Super Bowl XLII at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona on February 3, 2008.

Mojo Jojo
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
A more interesting question to me is whether the best team has won the championship more often in NCAA basketball or NCAA football since the advent of the BCS.

Bingo...
A team with 5 wins in a row is declared the National Champion; however they may not have been the best team. They just did the the right things at the right time or the other teams folded. Good fortune is always a part of winning a championship.

Were the Royals the best team in MLB in 1985? They had much better teams in the '70's. How many times was KU the "best" team in the NCAA and didn't get past the second round and yet won championships with lesser teams?

Bearcat
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
last year the vikes lost in the end throwing a interception .. the colts the same .. so you could say the saints were lucky .. plus they got by with late hits on the qb ....

I don't think those things are luck (or the Tyree catch)... if you drop the interception, people won't say you were unlucky, they'll say you choked. Part of being the best team is taking advantage of the other team's mistakes and making the best of your own team's opportunities.

I voted the 3rd option, because nothing is almost ever 'always', and what some people call luck I call hard work and opportunity.

Bugeater
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think those things are luck (or the Tyree catch)... if you drop the interception, people won't say you were unlucky, they'll say you choked. Part of being the best team is taking advantage of the other team's mistakes and making the best of your own team's opportunities.

I voted the 3rd option, because nothing is almost ever 'always', and what some people call luck I call hard work and opportunity.
I don't see how having a 6th round QB turn into a HOFer is anything but luck.

07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Wait. A hard Yes option, a soft No option and then a Who Cares option? This poll was slanted from the start.

Personally, I feel that the Superbowl is about the only championship game where I feel the team that won it is the best team in the league. I've never felt like anyone lucked their way to it or through it. Not even Baltimore.

Phobia
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Wait. A hard Yes option, a soft No option and then a Who Cares option? This poll was slanted from the start.

Personally, I feel that the Superbowl is about the only championship game where I feel the team that won it is the best team in the league. I've never felt like anyone lucked their way to it or through it. Not even Baltimore.

Same.

Bugeater
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM

It's not all luck by any means, but it certainly plays a factor. Sometimes it comes down to which team stays the healthiest during the season.

Odd that you'd throw Baltimore out there, I thought their run was pretty legit. That defense was one of the best I've ever seen.

07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
It's not all luck by any means, but it certainly plays a factor. Sometimes it comes down to which team stays the healthiest during the season.

Odd that you'd throw Baltimore out there, I thought their run was pretty legit. That defense was one of the best I've ever seen.I agree luck plays a part. BUT luck plays a part in every game for every team every Thursday, Sunday and Monday. That shouldn't even be a consideration in the poll. Just Yes or No.

The only reason I threw Baltimore out there was because of all the people that bitched about them having no offense to speak of at the time. I hated BAltimore but they were the damn best team in the country that year.

cdcox
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
If the best team won every game, the best team would go undefeated every season. Since we seldom have a season where a team goes undefeated, the best team doesn't win every game.

If the best team does not win every game, sometimes the best team will be eliminated in a single elimination tournament.

Garcia Bronco
07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Yes. The best team always wins the Super Bowl. To argue otherwise is just strange.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Absolutely not IMO

Aries Walker
07-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Serious answer to thread: No, of course not. If we really wanted to ensure the best teams, every step in the playoffs would be something like a five-game series, and that would take way too long and be way too hard on the players. As it is, how you perform at that one time is an integral part of the game, and sometimes that means that the lesser team turns it on one day and beats, well, the Patriots.

The exception was in the 1969-1970 NFL season, when the best team definitely won.

Also, I have to add this in, which I made after the Pats shit the bed against the Giants, since it will probably be my last chance to post it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/aries_walker/Image%20Macros/BradyTrophy.jpg