PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs St. Joseph (Chief's Training Camp): July 28-Aug 2...worth it???

Mr. Kotter
07-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Okay, this is the deal...

Between book deals, a new house, Driver's Ed, and summer school....I haven't been around this joint much since, well, a long time.

I have ONE week, plus a couple of days....between summer school/Driver's Ed and the "fall" semester which, for us, begins on August 11.

After checking the Chief's Training Camp schedule, and considering early August weather in the KC area....I'm inclined to skip it this year. Now, my 17 yr old neice, and 14 yr old son and I have gone to River Falls for 7 straight years. So we've enjoyed Chief's training camp in River Falls, in conjunction with a camping trip....the boy and my neice love camping. On the other hand, IF we were to come to St. Joseph, I'm leaning HEAVILY toward finding a cheap motel/hotel for 2-3 nights during that Jul 28-Aug 2 window.

In reality, I'm leaning toward skipping it, this year at least. :(

Anyone have thoughts, comments, suggestions to convince me otherwise??? :shrug:

Renegade
07-17-2010, 09:35 PM
This is probably the one year you don't want to skip. It is my guess that St. Joe and Missouri Western will pull out all the stops to show the Chiefs they are glad they are there. Just my guess though.

LaChapelle
07-17-2010, 09:56 PM
1 word
Warpaint Illustrated

Mr. Kotter
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
This is probably the one year you don't want to skip. It is my guess that St. Joe and Missouri Western will pull out all the stops to show the Chiefs they are glad they are there. Just my guess though.

Have YOU looked at the lame-ass "schedule" they have posted....????

:shrug:

Friday, July 30th - Training Camp Practice Begins – Practice 1:50-4:00 PM

Saturday, July 31st - Practice 8:50-11:00 AM, 4:30-6:30 PM

Sunday, August 1st - Practice 1:50-4:00 PM

Monday, August 2nd - Practice 8:50-11:00 AM, 4:30-6:30 PM

Bugeater
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sure all the motels are going to be jacking up their rates when this is going on so finding a 'cheap' one is going to be pretty iffy.

Mr. Kotter
07-17-2010, 10:02 PM
1 word
Warpaint Illustrated

How much will it cost me? :eek:

$99+ the last time I checked.....go fugg themselves, IMO....sorry, if u spent the $; I won't....

Just sayin'.... :toast:

Mr. Kotter
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sure all the motels are going to be jacking up their rates when this is going on so finding a 'cheap' one is going to be pretty iffy.

Okay....what about a decent "campground"??? Any thoughts? :shrug:

luv
07-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Didn't Nzoner start a thread about having extra bedrooms?

Bugeater
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Okay....what about a decent "campground"??? Any thoughts? :shrug:
That I don't know about, maybe camp out at Joe's pond? He was talking about renting rooms for TC as well, I don't know if he has any takers yet or if he has room for all of you. Maybe check with him.

Mr. Kotter
07-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Didn't Nzoner start a thread about having extra bedrooms?

For some reason, I sense Joe has cast me with his Phil/Phobia sort of dismissal--and I understand that. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I like Joe and don't want to intrude....

In fairness to Joe, our indecison/procrastination....and my own silly shit considered, I can't blame him if he wants to exclude me/my group-friends. I'm cool. I'm fine. Joe is WAY cool for all he and his fam have done for the Planet---and for the Chiefs.

Bugeater
07-17-2010, 10:31 PM
For some reason, I sense Joe has cast me with his Phil/Phobia sort of dismissal--and I understand that. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I like Joe and don't want to intrude....

In fairness to Joe, our indecison/procrastination....and my own silly shit considered, I can't blame him if he wants to exclude me/my group-friends. I'm cool. I'm fine. Joe is WAY cool for all he and his fam have done for the Planet---and for the Chiefs.
Hmmm...not sure what you're getting at here and I'm not going to pry. Camping this time of year sounds miserable though, maybe one of he St Joe peeps will chime in with a suggestion. I've never been much of a camper so I have no clue what might be in the area.

Nzoner
07-18-2010, 01:25 AM

I don't have a focking clue what you're talking about but for a mere $49.99 you can still geta nice room at Casa de Nzoner's

Coach
07-18-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't have a focking clue what you're talking about but for a mere $49.99 you can still geta nice room at Casa de Nzoner's

I'd say that's a good deal.

Phobia
07-18-2010, 02:48 AM

I'm not following this either. Got no qualms w/ you, Mr. K.

milkman
07-18-2010, 06:30 AM

It's a trap!

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2010, 07:12 AM
I have never been to Chiefs training camp. I'm from St. Joe and my fiancee' and I moved to Arizona last May. Then two months later the Chiefs announce that they'll be having training camp in my hometown. F my life lol. If I had anymore vacation days left at my job I'd be there in a heartbeat so I'm gonna go next year. I'd make the trip man. But this is someone talking that has never been versus someone that goes every year, so I can see why you'd be willing to miss it this year. I wish I never left now lol.

DaneMcCloud
07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Rob, I think you should go because I can't.

:D

Seriously. Your training camp updates (with all due respect to everyone on the 'Planet) are by far the most detailed and informative. I really appreciate your insight and I'd truly miss it this year.

That said, do what's best for you and the family. It sounds like you have a lot going on, so maybe this is the year to skip it. Although it would be fun to Weis & Crennel teaching up close!

milkman
07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I have never been to Chiefs training camp. I'm from St. Joe and my fiancee' and I moved to Arizona last May. Then two months later the Chiefs announce that they'll be having training camp in my hometown. F my life lol. If I had anymore vacation days left at my job I'd be there in a heartbeat so I'm gonna go next year. I'd make the trip man. But this is someone talking that has never been versus someone that goes every year, so I can see why you'd be willing to miss it this year. I wish I never left now lol.

I didn't know you were engaged.

My condolences to the fiancee'.

Will Jalapeno Cheese Balls be on the menu?

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2010, 10:42 AM
It's going to be a hot MoFo up there this time of year. I think finding a hotel room there would be an ordeal also.

And there isn't much to do in the immediate surrounding area. Atchison, Ks. is an interesting place for an afternoon visit. If the NZ's room is available you should jump on it.

milkman
07-18-2010, 10:44 AM
It's going to be a hot MoFo up there this time of year. I think finding a hotel room there would be an ordeal also.

And there isn't much to do in the immediate surrounding area. Atchison, Ks. is an interesting place for an afternoon visit. If the NZ's room is available you should jump on it.

WTF is in Atchison?

I lived 20 minutes away growing up, and never saw anything interesting in Atchison.

Phobia
07-18-2010, 10:58 AM

I can't believe Nzoner's rooms haven't been booked for 6 months.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2010, 11:23 AM
WTF is in Atchison?

I lived 20 minutes away growing up, and never saw anything interesting in Atchison.

I didn't say it was incredible, milk. But I've killed an afternoon there at the Amelia Earhart festival. I do like the way the town is situated on the bluffs of the river. Brick streets, Victorian homes... that kind of stuff.

Where did you grow up?

milkman
07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I didn't say it was incredible, milk. But I've killed an afternoon there at the Amelia Earhart festival. I do like the way the town is situated on the bluffs of the river. Brick streets, Victorian homes... that kind of stuff.

Where did you grow up?

Leavenworth

Mr. Kotter
07-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Okay, guess I misread things; my apologies. I had read between the lines there had been some sort of falling out between us...although I had not a clue what it was all about. I just wrote it off as my silly shit antics had gone too far on a particular night or two of adult beverage and late night surfing and dumbassery. Glad to know that's not the case. I didn't really figure you two were the type to let dumbassery overtake reality like that, as some here do--for some reason I can't recall though, I wasn't sure.

Anyway, we'll be evaluating our options and plans over the next week. I'll let you know once things firm up.

Mr. Kotter
07-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Rob, I think you should go because I can't.

:D

Seriously. Your training camp updates (with all due respect to everyone on the 'Planet) are by far the most detailed and informative. I really appreciate your insight and I'd truly miss it this year.

That said, do what's best for you and the family. It sounds like you have a lot going on, so maybe this is the year to skip it. Although it would be fun to Weis & Crennel teaching up close!

Thanks, Dane. We'll see, but the schedule's tight so it may not work out. I do think with the changes, and Haley with a year under his belt...it could be interesting. I won't know until early next week for sure though--so I still may be able to work things out.

farmerchief
07-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I've got an Aunt & Uncle that live in Atchinson, so I have considered going up and staying with them, and run over an watch a days practice. They are both avid Cheifs fans so I know my Uncle and cousin will probably be over at Spring Training alot! Depends what my farming schedule is, but this spring training site, is closer than the previous ones.

jbwm89
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Hmmm...not sure what you're getting at here and I'm not going to pry. Camping this time of year sounds miserable though, maybe one of he St Joe peeps will chime in with a suggestion. I've never been much of a camper so I have no clue what might be in the area.

I don't know about camping but the budget inn is pretty close to mowo and it is a shit hole so it can't be too expensive.