PDA

View Full Version : Life -- spinoff of my other hot-dog thread, but...

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 07:42 AM
... What is your favorite brand of Dogs to buy/grill? ... I'm liking Hebrew National, they're not too too bad for you, either. Well, as far as hot-dogs are concerned. BTW: What ever happened to the KC brand 'Seitz'...? they were kosher too, i think. Used to buy their olive-loaf.

Never knew the below info.:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2e1dces.gif

Ty for your answer.

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't do a lot of dogs, but I do enjoy a Nathan's from time to time.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't do a lot of dogs, but I do enjoy a Nathan's from time to time.

i hadn't been, but these are good and keep the mystery to a minimum, so i can cope w/ them. :) good protein source, only 110 cals per dog (not terrible)

boogblaster
07-18-2010, 07:51 AM
used to let some spin on my hotdog

Bugeater
07-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Nathan's. I remember eating those Seitz brand dogs when I was a kid but I don't recall them being anything special.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Nathan's. I remember eating those Seitz brand dogs when I was a kid but I don't recall them being anything special.

yeah well, they were, mister!

LOCOChief
07-18-2010, 08:23 AM
My old man says only 2 types of people put ketchup on a hotdog, texans and people in insane assylums.

blaise
07-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Hebrew National are good, the only thing is, if you let them cool at all they taste like a Slim Jim. I guess I like Ball Park the best.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:26 AM
My old man says only 2 types of people put ketchup on a hotdog, texans and people in insane assylums.

jalapeno mustard and chopped red o's for the winner!

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 08:27 AM
I'll tell you what never should've happened, Frank-N'-Stuff.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Hebrew National are good, the only thing is, if you let them cool at all they taste like a Slim Jim. I guess I like Ball Park the best.

grrrrr, I'm sure BPF's taste good, it's that large circum. that throws me off, i have to have a dog that is thinner in width, too much mystery in one bite, for my liking(s)...

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Really? i liked 'em, hormel, right? Do they still make them? ... never see them marketed down here in the dirty.

LOCOChief
07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

That line was from The Bad News Bears.
Is chopped red O's a pepper?

milkman
07-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Proof positive that people here can talk about the most innane subjects imaginable.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:32 AM
That line was from The Bad News Bears.
Is chopped red O's a pepper?

no, i just abbreviated onion ;)

Simply Red
Proof positive that people here can talk about the most innane subjects imaginable.

ROFL

Simply Red
off-season.

Bugeater
07-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Nobody should ever put ketchup on anything. If what you're eating is so bad that ketchup makes it taste better, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place.

I'll fucking kill you.

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Really? i liked 'em, hormel, right? Do they still make them? ... never see them marketed down here in the dirty.
I haven't seen them in the KC for quite sometime. Even as a kid they creeped me out, and I love processed cheese.

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I'll ****ing kill you.
Not if them nasty ass dogs get you first :D

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:35 AM
sauers mustard is a must, if you all haven't tried it, I recommend it.

http://tinyurl.com/38hzuvn

Bugeater
07-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Those Frank 'n' Stuffs were very tricky to microwave, the hot dog part would only feel lukewarm while the chili inside was as hot as the surface of the sun.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Those Frank 'n' Stuffs were very tricky to microwave, the hot dog part would only feel lukewarm while the chili inside was as hot as the surface of the sun.

lol, oddly they remind me of my days w/ my dad at Robin Hills apts in Lee's Scummit. We'd buy them often.

Fish
07-18-2010, 09:04 AM

What kind of jalepeno mustard you use? Cause this stuff is pretty damn good....

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8459/51oosjkrielsl500aa300pi.jpg

RJ
07-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm a big Nathan's fan but latley have switched to the Coleman all beef. They taste as good and are about the same price but don't have the nitrates/nitrites. Mostly I do that for my wife and little girl.....it's too late for me.

http://www.colemannatural.com/

http://i30.tinypic.com/30dkkev.jpg

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Silver-Lining, is about all this area has now. Big-Lots (of all places) used to carry one i can't seem to find on Google, it was better than silver-lining. But, SL is pretty legit.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 09:11 AM
never had the Beaver, well, the Beaver branded mustard, anyway... :)

pr_capone
07-18-2010, 10:14 AM
grrrrr, I'm sure BPF's taste good, it's that large circum. that throws me off, i have to have a dog that is thinner in width, too much mystery in one bite, for my liking(s)...

I love having meat with a large circumference in my mouth.

Wait... erm, never mind.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 11:12 AM
LMAO

Delano
07-18-2010, 11:15 AM

What about those red weiners you find around east NE? Any good?

Personally, I avoid hot dogs unless I'm at a sporting event. Target Field offers Schweigart dogs and they are quite tasty.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
07-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks Tanner

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Personally, I avoid hot dogs unless I'm at a sporting event. Target Field offers Schweigart dogs and they are quite tasty.
Posted via Mobile Device

dang man, never knew you lived in Minnesota. Aside from their distracting sandstone back-drop (fencing behind home) - Target Field is gorgeous.

DJ's left nut
07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Nathan's chedder dogs with Bush's Texas-style beans (little bit of heat) put in the bun first with some Pico and fried onions on top.

Earl Campbell brand Hotlinks are pretty solid as well.

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Nathan's chedder dogs with Bush's Texas-style beans (little bit of heat) put in the bun first with some Pico and fried onions on top.

Earl Campbell brand Hotlinks are pretty solid as well.
Curious, is this style of dog something unique to Missouri/St. Louis? I had something similar at Busch that was outstanding. Only they put the beans in the bun first which compromised the structural integrity, but delicious none the less.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Curious, is this style of dog something unique to Missouri/St. Louis? I had something similar at Busch that was outstanding. Only they put the beans in the bun first which compromised the structural integrity, but delicious none the less.

redhots? nahhh. not exclusive to Mo. not that i know of, anyhow.

mlyonsd
07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I've said this before in numerous hot dog threads but it's time to bring it up again.

Ketchup never, ever, should be put on a hot dog.

Simply Red
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I've said this before in numerous hot dog threads but it's time to bring it up again.

Ketchup never, ever, should be put on a hot dog.

however, mustard is required.

Bugeater
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
You must be talking about Fairbury's, they sell those at NU games. They even make the bun red, I don't really care for them.

KCUnited
07-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Per wiki, KC has a dog, sauerkraut and melted Swiss cheese. I've never had or heard of one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations

luv
07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
When we grill hot dogs, it's usually so the dogs can have something off the grill. I haven't had a regular ol' hot dog in forever.

mlyonsd
07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
however, mustard is required.

Absolutely.

Stewie
07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
When we grill hot dogs, it's usually so the dogs can have something off the grill. I haven't had a regular ol' hot dog in forever.

We know. :(

Stewie
07-18-2010, 03:08 PM
The hot dog better have a snap when biting into it. That's what makes a great dog... not that it has some topping or not. It's about the dog, not whether someone puts mustard or ketchup or anything else on it. I prefer a little onion, pickle and coarse mustard thank you.

RJ
07-18-2010, 04:24 PM
These are excellent if you can find them. They gots the snap.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2n7gpb7.jpg

redsurfer11
07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Sabrett,Nathens,Hebrew National,Oscar Meyer and Ball Park all suck. If you want real Hot Dogs try Thumanns, Shickhaus or Wind Mills.

RJ
07-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Sabrett,Nathens,Hebrew National,Oscar Meyer and Ball Park all suck. If you want real Hot Dogs try Thumanns, Shickhaus or Wind Mills.

And where would we purchase these hot dogs?

milkman
07-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Hot dog snobs.

Unbelievable.

LMAO

RJ
07-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Best hot dogs I ever ate were from a place back in Baltimore called Pollock Johnny's.

A couple of Polish dogs with the works after the bars closed, now that was the life.

WV
07-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Holy crap I had completely forgotten about Frank'n' Stuffs.....Your right though, warm outside nuclear inside. And for whatever reason I always found it curious that the hole through the middle was ribbed.....I know it's weird, but sometimes childhood memories remember weird stuff.

redsurfer11
07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
And where would we purchase these hot dogs?

Mostly in the NE. Thumanns you might find at markets and Costco, they cost 5-$6.00 per pound. Shickhaus in markets and Deli's. Wind Mills can be bought in their stores or online, but are very expensive. 5-$6.00 each.

Simply Red
07-19-2010, 06:27 AM

meh, I wouldn't say that the first three 'suck' - but yes, Thumanns is good shit, as is boarshead.

DJ's left nut
07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Mostly in the NE. Thumanns you might find at markets and Costco, they cost 5-$6.00 per pound. Shickhaus in markets and Deli's. Wind Mills can be bought in their stores or online, but are very expensive. 5-$6.00 each.

$6 per dog?!?!

Are they made of ground up unicorns and pixie dust?

If you pay $6 for a hot dog and you aren't at a ballgame, you should kill yourself.

Spare the sanctimonious East Coast garbage - it's still just a fucking hot dog.

Dartgod
07-19-2010, 07:30 AM
lol, oddly they remind me of my days w/ my dad at Robin Hills apts in Lee's Scummit. We'd buy them often.

Robin Hills...heh. Not too far from my old stomping grounds. When did you live there?

JohninGpt
07-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Morells spicy smoked sausage dogs are the greatest.

Brock
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Hot dog snobs.

Unbelievable.

LMAO

No kidding. "Hey man, this brand of ground-up lips and assholes is better than any of the rest!"

mikeyis4dcats.
07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
$6 per dog?!?!

If you pay $6 for a hot dog and you aren't at a ballgame, you should kill yourself.

Spare the sanctimonious East Coast garbage - it's still just a ****ing hot dog.

WindMills is a restaurant. So it's not like you're paying $6 a dog at the meat case.

http://www.windmillhotdogs.com/

Simply Red
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Robin Hills...heh. Not too far from my old stomping grounds. When did you live there?

LOL, It was late 1988 to late 1989ish.... :shrug: and Big-boy was there on 50 :) I wore it out.

Simply Red
07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
$6 per dog?!?!

ROFL

Heather
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Hot Doug's. Mmmhmmm...with some of their fries.

Dartgod
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
LOL, It was late 1988 to late 1989ish.... :shrug: and Big-boy was there on 50 :) I wore it out.
Oh, way after my time. I grew up in the 70's in that area.

Simply Red
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh, way after my time. I grew up in the 70's in that area.

OK well at that time I was directly behind 707 truck-stop in Blue Springs, off of 7-hwy. lol

redsurfer11
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
$6 per dog?!?!

Guess they don't sell real Hot Dogs in Columbia, Mo.

|Zach|
07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I have never paid that much attention to the brand I guess...I generally like getting all beef ones or whatever the hell it is. Put a little strip of cheese on there and maybe have some ketchup around. I may get some this evening.

blaise
07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
The only ones I would go out of my way for are called White Hots, that they sell in Upstate New York. Zweigels is the major producer of them there. The meat isn't smoked or cured (or less so) so it looks white, not red. I think they taste better, but I never see them sold anywhere outside of NY state.

chefsos
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Heh. While reading this thread I destroyed three Bar-S jumbo dogs from Walmart. This cost me, including the rolls, $1.45.

They were just fine. I mean, damn, they're hot dogs. Besides, even crap is pretty good on a Martin's potato roll.

mlyonsd
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Take this for what it's worth.....

Sioux City was once the third largest packing plant city in the US. Because of this several hot dog shops popped up and have lasted 80+ years. Here's the chili sauce from one of them:

Coney Island Chili Sauce

1 lb. Hamburger (old school name)
3/4 t Oregano
3/4 t Cumin
3 T Chili Powder - yes that's three tablespoons
1 medium onion chopped - I like it chopped fine
1/2 t Salt
2 C Water
1/4 t Red Pepper Flakes

Cook and drain hamburger (if necesarry, I use 93% so it's not) - chop as fine as possible. This can be done after adding the other ingredients

Add everything else and simmer for at least an hour, maybe two.

The sauce will be just that, a sauce, meant to be spooned up so that some of the liquid is added when putting it on the hot dog.

RJ
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Take this for what it's worth.....

Sioux City was once the third largest packing plant city in the US. Because of this several hot dog shops popped up and have lasted 80+ years. Here's the chili sauce from one of them:

Coney Island Chili Sauce

1 lb. Hamburger (old school name)
3/4 t Oregano
3/4 t Cumin
3 T Chili Powder - yes that's three tablespoons
1 medium onion chopped - I like it chopped fine
1/2 t Salt
2 C Water
1/4 t Red Pepper Flakes

Cook and drain hamburger (if necesarry, I use 93% so it's not) - chop as fine as possible. This can be done after adding the other ingredients

Add everything else and simmer for at least an hour, maybe two.

The sauce will be just that, a sauce, meant to be spooned up so that some of the liquid is added when putting it on the hot dog.

I was wondering when you would chime in here.

I have made mlyonsd's Coney Sauce recipe and I will vouch that it is very good.

DJ's left nut
07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Guess they don't sell real Hot Dogs in Columbia, Mo.

You must've missed this part:

Spare the sanctimonious East Coast garbage...

Out here in the midwest our land doesn't cost $100k per acre.

As such, we have these things called "Cattle" and from these "Cattle" you can get what's called a "steak".

And I can get a dry-aged filet you can cut with a spoon for less per pound than you're paying for a damn hot dog.

Seriously, an east-coast douchebag trying to talk down on midwesterners when it comes to meat is like a midwesterner trying to out asshole a New Yorker.

It's just not going to happen.

redsurfer11
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
The only ones I would go out of my way for are called White Hots, that they sell in Upstate New York. Zweigels is the major producer of them there. The meat isn't smoked or cured (or less so) so it looks white, not red. I think they taste better, but I never see them sold anywhere outside of NY state.

The was a Hot Dog place in Syracuse that sold the White Hot Dogs. They were good, not as good as the Thumanns. Don't remember the name of the place.

redsurfer11
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
The was a Hot Dog place in Syracuse that sold the White Hot Dogs. They were good, not as good as the Thumanns. Don't remember the name of the place.

Heids of Liverpool NY. http://www.hofmannsausage.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?Display=NewsArchive&NewsID=70

Pablo
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM

As such, we have these things called "Cattle" and from these "Cattle" you can get what's called a "steak".

And I can get a dry-aged filet you can cut with a spoon for less per pound than you're paying for a damn hot dog.

Seriously, an east-coast douchebag trying to talk down on midwesterners when it comes to meat is like a midwesterner trying to out asshole a New Yorker.

It's just not going to happen.Oh snap bitch.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2010, 09:40 PM

It's just not going to happen.

LMAO LMAO LMAO