PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Receiver Kennison retires as a Chief

Tribal Warfare
07-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Receiver Kennison retires as a Chief (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/19/2094708/receiver-kennison-retires-as-a.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

No NFL team was interested in Eddie Kennison’s services, so there was only one thing for him to do. Kennison called an end Monday to his 13-season NFL career, even signing with the Chiefs so he could retire as part of the organization.

“The decision to retire was not actually mine,” said Kennison, 37. “I just had to sign the papers. It was the National Football League or the teams in the National Football League that said, ‘He’s probably too old to play.’ To them, 37 is 107 in dog years. But to me, 37 is young. I think I can still get out and compete with anyone out there.

“It’s been one of those situations where you know it’s coming but you really don’t want it to end. I’m closing this chapter and looking forward to the next chapter in my career and in my life.”

Kennison also played for the Rams, Saints, Bears and Broncos, but his best seasons came with the Chiefs. He joined the Chiefs in 2001 and by the time he finished playing in Kansas City in 2007, Kennison was seventh on the team’s all-time list in receiving yards (5,230) and eighth in catches (321).

He was the leading wide receiver on the potent offensive teams coached by Dick Vermeil in the early and mid 2000s.

That’s why Kennison, after signing his retirement papers, asked the Chiefs whether he could retire as one of them.

Kennison and his wife, Shimika, are involved in several businesses in the Kansas City area.

“We took the steps before my football career was actually over to get businesses started,” Kennison said. “Now that this chapter in my life is actually starting, I don’t have to sit back and kind of hope everything will come to fruition. It’s already started.

“This community, they just opened their arms from day one when we got here in 2001. This city and state just embraced us with everything. Kansas City is home. We built a solid, solid foundation here in Kansas City.”

Tickets on sale

Single-game ticket sales begin July 28 to Jackson County residents and July 30 to the general public.

The Jackson County sale continues on July 29. Tickets may be purchased in person between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Arrowhead Stadium ticket office or at select Ticketmaster outlets in the Kansas City area. Hours vary by Ticketmaster location. No phone or Internet orders will be accepted for the Jackson County sale.

Jackson County residents must have one form of identification that includes a photo of the person purchasing the tickets and a 2009 Jackson County personal property-tax receipt.

The sale to the general public begins at 10 a.m. July 30. Tickets may be purchased at the Arrowhead ticket windows, at any Ticketmaster outlet, over the Internet at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at

(800) 745-3000.

LaChapelle
07-20-2010, 06:08 AM
:wayne:
(wayne) Missouri Rand McNally R-6

Goldmember
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Kennison and his wife, Shimika, are involved in several businesses in the Kansas City area.

Publicity stunt

bluehawkdoc
07-20-2010, 09:20 AM
So is your post.