PDA

View Full Version : Poop You stupid B!tch,put the phone down and drive!!

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Earlier today sitting at a red light(the 4th vehicle back) and when the light turns green the car in front of me doesn't budge.Luckily the mrs stopped me because I would have rear ended the dumb cvnt and been at fault,because I was watching the light.

So I look up and this idiot has her head down like she's reading and I immediately think she has to be focking texting and lay on the horn.She moves forward slowly and we both make the turn and I get in the outter lane to pass this gash and as I do look over and she's still focking texting as she's trying to manuever the her car into the turning lane all the while going about 20 miles an hour.

WTF,is wrong with people,this new technology is really starting to piss me off.I see at the movies,while I'm driving and can only think to myself that sometimes I'm really glad I won't be here in 30 years or so to see what the hell has become of this world.

Thanks for allowing me to rant!! :cuss:

milkman
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
People on the phone piss me off as well.

That being said, if you rear ended her because you were only looking at the light, then you are definitely at fault.

RJ
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
They drive just fine while texting. They maintain normal speeds and have no trouble staying in their lanes. They are in no way a danger to others. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
this new technology is really starting to piss me off

Get off my lawn!!!

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
People on the phone piss me off as well.

That being said, if you rear ended her because you were only looking at the light, then you are definitely at fault.

Oh I understand that all to well and it still pisses me off

milkman
07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh I understand that all to well and it still pisses me off

I think you misunderstand me Joe.

You need to be able to see both the light and the car ahead of you when you're driving.

You would get the ticket because you deserved the ticket.

Bane
07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I have a few buddies that txt while we're riding our bikes.Friggn crazy if you ask me,I always figure they can wait till I stop for a reply.

Nzoner

You need to be able to see both the light and the car ahead of you when you're driving.

No I understand you perfectly,I'd been at fault no matter what and I need to be able to see both,I just have to wonder how many poor souls are going to get ticketed or worse in a slightly different situation because some idiot is trying to type and drive.

Delano
I'm driving as I type this post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Yep, because how stupid of him to think the car ahead of him would actually start moving once the light turned green.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I see it all the fucking time. People with their face buried in their phone while driving a car. I usually just pass them and go on while muttering under my breath. When I do make a point to let the driver know they are a dumbfuck is when I see they have kids in the car. Not only is it setting a bad example, it's endangering the life of the kids.

milkman
07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
No I understand you perfectly,I'd been at fault no matter what and I need to be able to see both,I just have to wonder how many poor souls are going to get ticketed or worse in a slightly different situation because some idiot is trying to type and drive.

There have been times when I've wanted to hit people on the phone just because they piss me off.

But I'm also a guy that wishes it was legal to hit the dumbasses on bikes that think the line that seperates the auto lane from the bike lane is the bike lane.

I drive a lot.

I'm also pissed off a lot.

milkman
07-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Yep, because how stupid of him to think the car ahead of him would actually start moving once the light turned green.

It should, absolutely.

But a good driver has to be aware that not everyone else can drive.

Take nothing for granted.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
It should, absolutely.

The rule I apply when driving is you drive for you and everyone else around you. It has saved me many of times from ignoramouses on their phones.

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
It should, absolutely.

Ok Dr Phil. I'd rather rant and rave and flip people the bird.

Just Passin' By
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I see it all the ****ing time. People with their face buried in their phone while driving a car. I usually just pass them and go on while muttering under my breath. When I do make a point to let the driver know they are a dumb**** is when I see they have kids in the car. Not only is it setting a bad example, it's endangering the life of the kids.

So, you drive alone in your car, with no radio on, and your hands constantly on the wheel at the proper spots, and you never eat, drink or chew anything while driving? You also make sure that you've had the proper amount of sleep the night before, have not had any alcohol or other mind affecting substance, never tailgate (even at an intersection), always keep the required distances from other vehicles and never exceed the speed limit?

Nzoner

ROFL I just got a mental pic of Mr Rogers reading this :D

TrebMaxx
Earlier today sitting at a red light(the 4th vehicle back) and when the light turns green the car in front of me doesn't budge.Luckily the mrs stopped me because I would have rear ended the dumb cvnt and been at fault,because I was watching the light.

So I look up and this idiot has her head down like she's reading and I immediately think she has to be focking texting and lay on the horn.She moves forward slowly and we both make the turn and I get in the outter lane to pass this gash and as I do look over and she's still focking texting as she's trying to manuever the her car into the turning lane all the while going about 20 miles an hour.

WTF,is wrong with people,this new technology is really starting to piss me off.I see at the movies,while I'm driving and can only think to myself that sometimes I'm really glad I won't be here in 30 years or so to see what the hell has become of this world.

Thanks for allowing me to rant!! :cuss:

We must be in the same generation.

The TWD'ers will be the death of me. Just the other day I had some bitch start swerving into my lane while I was beside her. I punched the horn and she moved over but I looked over at her and she was texting. Stupid bitch almost made me spill my beer.

Disclaimer: j/k about the beer - I do not drink and drive.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
So, you drive alone in your car, with no radio on, and your hands constantly on the wheel at the proper spots, and you never eat, drink or chew anything while driving? You also make sure that you've had the proper amount of sleep the night before, have not had any alcohol or other mind affecting substance, never tailgate (even at an intersection), always keep the required distances from other vehicles and never exceed the speed limit?

What does the radio have to do with anything? My eyes are always on the road. My hands are always on the wheel. My face is never buried in my phone sending texts while I drive. Probably why I have not had an accident since I was 17 and not had a speeding ticket in over 15 years. Knock on wood.

milkman
07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok Dr Phil.

What the fuck does Dr. Phil have to do with anything?

We're talking about driving.

At least 50% of the dumbfucks on the road need to have their licences taken away because they can't fucking drive.

You simply have to be aware of that fact when driving, and you increase the chance of remaining accident free.

milkman
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Good lord, you are a useless fucking idiot.

Art Vader
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
they shoulda neva gave deez bitches cell phones.

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
never tailgate (even at an intersection)

I have found other drivers don't like driving around my grill when I tailgate in an intersection.

Hey,it is a football board.

BWillie
07-21-2010, 04:09 PM
It should, absolutely.

Good post. Outside of being rear-ended, 9 out of 10 accidents are preventable. Even when people run red lights, alot of times you can avoid it if you are paying attention.

Just Passin' By
07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Good lord, you are a useless ****ing idiot.

The point is, dumbass, that all of those things increase the risk of accidents.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I have found other drivers don't like driving around my grill when I tailgate in an intersection.

Hey,it is a football board.

Speaking of tailgating, what is with these people who will ride your ass doing 45mph but then leave 3 car lengths between them and the car in front of them at a stop light?

NewChief
07-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Man, I had a bad moment the other day. I'm usually just like Nzoner. I drive efficiently and am usually in a hurry (bad, I know... that's why I'm happier if I'm bike commuting instead). Not making a light because some dumbass was looking at their phone instead of paying attention and moving when the traffic moved makes me go ballistic.

Unfortunately, I got an iPhone a few weeks back. I was reading an email while waiting in line at a light the other day, and I was that person. I glanced up from my email, and traffic had progressed like 40 feet, and I was just sitting there in the turn lane with a line of cars waiting on me to get going.

I made a new commitment to not being that jackass then and there. Definition of chagrin.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 04:12 PM
The point is, dumbass, that all of those things increase the risk of accidents.

JFC, just shut up. If you are going to sit here and say someone doing 5 mph over the speed limit or has their radio on is as dangerous as texting while driving you're a fucking moron. It has already been proven more or less that talking on your phone while driving is just as bad if not worse than driving drunk.

So put your fucking phone down and drive.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 04:12 PM
http://texting-while-driving.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/states-ban-texting-while-driving.jpg

Color Legend:

Dark Blue = States that ban texting for all drivers

Light Blue = States that ban texting for novice drivers

Grey = States with no bans

Note: Texas includes ban on texting for school bus drivers

Just Passin' By
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
JFC, just shut up. If you are going to sit here and say someone doing 5 mph over the speed limit or has their radio on is as dangerous as texting while driving you're a ****ing moron. It has already been proven more or less that talking on your phone while driving is just as bad if not worse than driving drunk.

So put your ****ing phone down and drive.

I don't drive while on the phone. I pull my car over. However, if you're going to bitch about one thing causing higher crash rates, bitch about them all.

vailpass
Texting while driving, talking on a cell phone while driving unless it is hands free are outlawed in lots of towns and should be outlawed everywhere IMHO.

ClevelandBronco
I'm driving as I type this post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Then I'd like to rip your pancreas out through your ear.

Nzoner
Good post. Outside of being rear-ended, 9 out of 10 accidents are preventable. Even when people run red lights, alot of times you can avoid it if you are paying attention.

Oh I agree,just last week I'm sitting in a turn lane(first car) when the light changes and thank god I was paying attention because I saw a sports car coming down the hill at a high rate of speed and thought,"there's no focking way he's stopping in time) unfortunately the van beside me in the straight ahead lane wasn't watching and drove on and got t-boned.Scared the shit out of me.

NewChief
http://texting-while-driving.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/states-ban-texting-while-driving.jpg

Color Legend:

I wonder how they define texting? Is reading an email texting? What about checking in on 4square? Updating facebook status? Uploading a picture? Typing in directions into google maps?

petegz28
Man, I had a bad moment the other day. I'm usually just like Nzoner. I drive efficiently and am usually in a hurry (bad, I know... that's why I'm happier if I'm bike commuting instead). Not making a light because some dumbass was looking at their phone instead of paying attention and moving when the traffic moved makes me go ballistic.

Unfortunately, I got an iPhone a few weeks back. I was reading an email while waiting in line at a light the other day, and I was that person. I glanced up from my email, and traffic had progressed like 40 feet, and I was just sitting there.

I made a new commitment to not being that jackass then and there. Definition of chagrin.

It's one thing to make an ass of yourself by checking your phone while at a complete stop then getting honked at for holding up traffic. It's another to keep looking at your phone while you proceed to move the car after being honked at for not moving the care cause you were looking at your phone.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't drive while on the phone. I pull my car over. However, if you're going to bitch about one thing causing higher crash rates, bitch about them all.

No, I won't. Not when one is significantly more dangerous than the other.

NewChief
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
It's one thing to make an ass of yourself by checking your phone while at a complete stop then getting honked at for holding up traffic. It's another to keep looking at your phone while you proceed to move the car after being honked at for not moving the care cause you were looking at your phone.

Still. I'm not that driver. That driver pisses me off to no end. When I'm driving, usually, I'm constantly paying attention to traffic flow. I'm watching everyone else. I'm gauging my route and deciding on more efficient routes on the fly. I'm a non-stop active, attentive driver who focuses entirely on driving. That's probably why it irritates me so much when other people aren't attentive. Regardless, it was humiliating to be that person.

Just Passin' By
No, I won't. Not when one is significantly more dangerous than the other.

Then you're a fucking hypocrite.

Otter

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Updating facebook status?

OK I lol'd-- "on my way to the movi...oh SHIT!" ROFL

Stewie
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Color Legend:

Novice drivers? WTF does that mean? BTW, texting is now banned in KS.

TimeForWasp
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I would have sent a text to the police department that the car in front of me is texting and not paying attention. I'll also add that I will stay on the phone and follow her.

CosmicPal
A video documentary that shows the dangers of texting while driving:

http://texting-while-driving.org/1085echo/1085echo.html

petegz28
Then you're a ****ing hypocrite.

If you say so. :deevee:

petegz28
07-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Still. I'm not that driver. That driver pisses me off to no end. When I'm driving, usually, I'm constantly paying attention to traffic flow. I'm watching everyone else. I'm gauging my route and deciding on more efficient routes on the fly. I'm a non-stop active, attentive driver who focuses entirely on driving. That's probably why it irritates me so much when other people aren't attentive. Regardless, it was humiliating to be that person.

It is. But don't feel bad. I have been "that person" before and it had nothing to do with a phone. It had everything to do with staring at the hottie in my side mirror and not paying attention to the light changing.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
And then you have this infamous video shown to classrooms in the U.K. (I think we've had this video on here before.)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0LCmStIw9E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0LCmStIw9E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm with ya Nzoner. I'll never forget the useless idiot that rolled my van because of a damn phone.

MahiMike
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Road rage is not sexy.

mikey23545
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Then you're a ****ing hypocrite.

You are too stupid to live.

It's a shame you'll probably take some innocent life with you when you go.

chasedude
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
My Step Dad just recently sold a grandmother of a teenager his 4th car! His last wreck involved him t-boning a tree while texting his girl friend down by Benton HS in St. Joe.

A neighbor of mine while mowing his ditch just about got nailed from some girl in a SUV because she was texting. She came over the hill and drifted into the ditch heading right for him. She realized what was happening, pulled it back on the road overcorrected and took out two mailboxes on the other side of the road.

My mother claims she can text and drive. I tell her she's gonna kill someone someday. I told her she needs to stop because I really don't wanna tell her in the future "I told you so."

Nuthooks for DWTer's (Driving While Texting)

07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
It's just amazing to me that people actually believe they are good drivers while doing this.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
My Step Dad just recently sold a grandmother of a teenager his 4th car! His last wreck involved him t-boning a tree while texting his girl friend down by Benton HS in St. Joe.

4th car? Teenager?

Gee, I wonder if he'll learn his lesson this time. :shake:

My mother claims she can text and drive. I tell her she's gonna kill someone someday. I told her she needs to stop because I really don't wanna tell her in the future "I told you so."

Uhhh, you may not get that chance to say, "I told you so." No offense, but like someone said on here earlier, 'texting is just as dangerous if not more so than driving drunk.'

Would you allow your mother to drive home after downing a few martini's? I don't think so. Why is it okay for her to text while driving? I don't give a shit how good she thinks she is...I can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard that from buddies who thought they could drive home drunk from a bar. I'd hate for you to lose you mom because she texted you that she was just around the block.

Was it really necessary for her to text that before the city bus she didn't see turn the corner? Too bad you didn't get to say, "I told you so."

I pray that NEVER happens to you. Seriously. :thumb:

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 05:05 PM
What the **** does Dr. Phil have to do with anything?

You're right, I was wrong to say that. Mr Rogers was a far better analogy.

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
It's just amazing to me that people actually believe they are good drivers while doing this.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the reason people think that is because they're too wrapped up in their call/text to realize they're driving like a jackass.

chasedude
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
4th car? Teenager?

Gee, I wonder if he'll learn his lesson this time. :shake:

From what I get from my Step Dad, the grandmother is dumber than a bag of hammers. The kids girl friend even mentioned that "He" was texting her back and forth and then they just stopped, Right before the accident. Duh!

The grandmother is positive the kid passed out from the heat causing him to hit the tree! :rolleyes: Some people just never learn.

Uhhh, you may not get that chance to say, "I told you so." No offense, but like someone said on here earlier, 'texting is just as dangerous if not more so than driving drunk.'

Would you allow your mother to drive home after downing a few martini's? I don't think so. Why is it okay for her to text while driving? I don't give a shit how good she thinks she is...I can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard that from buddies who thought they could drive home drunk from a bar. I'd hate for you to lose you mom because she texted you that she was just around the block.

Was it really necessary for her to text that before the city bus she didn't see turn the corner? Too bad you didn't get to say, "I told you so."

I pray that NEVER happens to you. Seriously. :thumb:

I agree with you, texting in the car is just as bad as driving drunk. I'm pulling the phone outta her hand the next time she tries that shit while I'm riding with her! :mad:

07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the reason people think that is because they're too wrapped up in their call/text to realize they're driving like a jackass.

I love it when they get pissed because you honk at them. They have no clue at all.

Boon
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I hate those sumbitching Morse code boxes and the idiots that insist on using them while driving.

Demonpenz
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll take my chances. Better than being bored

Fish
07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
It's too bad that the texting ban law isn't actually enforceable....

milkman
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
You're right, I was wrong to say that. Mr Rogers was a far better analogy.

Oh...... it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, would you be my friend?

milkman
07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
It's too bad that the texting ban law isn't actually enforceable....

Why not?

I heard a woman at one of my accounts bitching about the fine she had to pay on a ticket she received on the first day that the law banning talking and texting went into effect.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 06:35 PM

It's actually a good example of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) (along with people generally being f***ing oblivious)...

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the perverse situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people.

Stupid people text at all times (as opposed to only when the light is actually red or when you're driving but not around anyone, etc) and they're too stupid to figure out they're doing it wrong and actually think they're good it it...... while a lot of smart people think it's incredibly dangerous at all times, because they under-rate their own ability (or they just can't multitask, etc).

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
No offense, but like someone said on here earlier, 'texting is just as dangerous if not more so than driving drunk.'

That's just ridiculous.

milkman
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
That's just ridiculous.

No it isn't.

I see people texting while driving all the time.
I've seen them weave in their lane, miss seeing a red light, not see lights change, etc.

I've never actually seen someone texting while driving not make a mistake.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
In all serious, there is absolutely no reason someone should have to text while driving. None. People drived for decades without it and the world still turned.

Pull over to the side of the road if its that important to you.

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
That's just ridiculous.

WTF?

You should watch that video Cosmic posted in this thread,texting while driving is as dangerous as someone driving that's twice the legal limit.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 06:58 PM
In all serious, there is absolutely no reason someone should have to text while driving. None. People drived for decades without it and the world still turned.

Pull over to the side of the road if its that important to you.

"drived"?

That ain't a word, pa. :D

Just messin' with you. Seriously though, you are correct, sir! I see it all the time and I saw it happening earlier today when I was doing errands. I can't stand 'texting' to begin with. Call me, if it's that important.

This world is so enamored by "instant gratification" that we've lost all sense of patience with anything. I'm like you, I've never understood what would compel someone to HAVE to text someone else that it can't wait until they get home or at least to their very destination.

Fish
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Why not?

I heard a woman at one of my accounts bitching about the fine she had to pay on a ticket she received on the first day that the law banning talking and texting went into effect.

Well, they've had plenty of trouble enforcing it so far... there are lots of reports just like these.. and these are from 3 different states.

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Texting while driving has been illegal in North Carolina for seven months now, but is the law effective, and can it even be enforced? The numbers show it's been a struggle so far.
So far, the law has been a learning process.

"We are trying to train our officers to recognize and pull over anyone texting and driving," said David Weinstein, director of the Governor's Highway Safety Program.
But it hasn't been easy. Patrol officers need to spot drivers in the act of texting, which is tougher than you may think.

"It's just so difficult to enforce," Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said. "You assume that someone's texting, when in fact they could just be dialing a phone number, which technically is legal."

The numbers show this frustration. In the first six months of the program, only about 300 tickets have been handed out to drivers in North Carolina. Only a dozen have been in New Hanover County. All law enforcement officers can do is enforce the law to the best of their ability, but their frustration may lead to a new law entirely.

"It's just dumb," Evangelous said. "We ought to ban the use of cell phones - period."(Exactly!!)

So far the movement to ban use of all cell phones is picking up steam in Raleigh. Earlier this year Sen. Charlie Dannelly introduced a bill that would ban just that. For now, it's up to you to put down the phone behind the wheel.

Texting while driving is believed to have played a role when two pedestrians were hit by a car in Wrightsville Beach Memorial Day weekend. The current penalty for texting while driving is a fine of $100 plus court fees.http://www.wwaytv3.com/six_months_texting_ban_tough_enforce/07/2010

Tom Hendrickson, the association’s executive <nobr style="color: rgb(43, 101, 176); font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_5_0">directorhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</nobr> (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100628/NEWS01/6280328/Police-might-find-new-texting-ban-difficult-to-enforce#), said the group supported the legislation but there are concerns it will be difficult on police.“If you view a motorist who you think is text messaging, are they dialing? It is going to be extremely difficult for law enforcement to apply that,” Hendrickson said. “If a traffic stop is made and a motorist says they were not texting but dialing ... what is law enforcement to do?”

It is doubtful, Hendrickson said, that police would have access to a driver’s cell phone records to confirm that they were texting. Given that a violation is a civil infraction that carries a $100 fine the first time and a $200 fine for a subsequent offense, the effort to check likely wouldn’t be worthwhile.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100628/NEWS01/6280328/Police-might-find-new-texting-ban-difficult-to-enforce

“I think there may be some difficulty involved,” said Polnar. “I would hope the courts would be sensitive to the issue.”He said the main issue is proving a driver is texting and not placing a phone call from their mobile device.Carnegie Police Chief Jeff Harbin also pointed out that without a search warrant, drivers can refuse to hand over their phones.“If you have reasonable suspicion, you can stop the car, but testifying in court, lacking an admission or firsthand observation that you saw fingers moving, I think it’s going to be hard to prove,” said Harbin.http://www.wpxi.com/news/21608721/detail.html

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
sometimes you just gotta respond to somebody asap. but you better watch wtf you're doing.

Fish
07-21-2010, 07:10 PM
sometimes you just gotta respond to somebody asap. but you better watch wtf you're doing.

Fitting name...

If you just gotta... then pull off the damn road. No stupid text message is that important. None.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
That's just ridiculous.

No it isn't. It's actually been proven.

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Fitting name...

If you just gotta... then pull off the damn road. No stupid text message is that important. None.

pull off interstate when your the only car around? Now I don't know where you live. But there's not a lot of folk in these neck of the woods. So it's alright but still pay attention to wtf you're doing understand the situation and don't be stupid. yeah if i'm driving through kc I don't text and drive.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 07:18 PM
No it isn't.

I see people texting while driving all the time.
I've seen them weave in their lane, miss seeing a red light, not see lights change, etc.

I've never actually seen someone texting while driving not make a mistake.

You don't have any less control over what you do while texting, unlike driving drunk. Texting and driving is multitasking... if you're not a good multitasker or don't know when not to text, you shouldn't do it. If you're driving drunk, you're impaired by something that's completely out of your control, and you can't just turn off drunk for a second while you pass that semi (even though a drunk person would tell you different).

I get what you're saying as far as not being focused on the road, but I think it's an awful analogy... if you take two people with a 0.24 BAC, they might both think they can drive without any problems and one might think they're a better drunk driver than the person, but I'd have an incredibly hard time believing either of them. Drunk is drunk.

If you take two people who text and drive, one could feasibly be much better than the other based on when they text, how good they multitask, how good they drive, etc.

It's completely different.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
You don't have any less control over what you do while texting, unlike driving drunk. Texting and driving is multitasking... if you're not a good multitasker or don't know when not to text, you shouldn't do it. If you're driving drunk, you're impaired by something that's completely out of your control, and you can't just turn off drunk for a second while you pass that semi (even though a drunk person would tell you different).

I get what you're saying as far as not being focused on the road, but I think it's an awful analogy... if you take two people with a 0.24 BAC, they might both think they can drive without any problems and one might think they're a better drunk driver than the person, but I'd have an incredibly hard time believing either of them. Drunk is drunk.

If you take two people who text and drive, one could feasibly be much better than the other based on when they text, how good they multitask, how good they drive, etc.

Sorry, dude, but it's worse

Fish
07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
pull off interstate when your the only car around? Now I don't know where you live. But there's not a lot of folk in these neck of the woods. So it's alright but still pay attention to wtf you're doing understand the situation and don't be stupid. yeah if i'm driving through kc I don't text and drive.

Yes. Cause accidents only happen in busy residential areas. Never in the country. No danger there... :rolleyes:

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry, dude, but it's worse

Did you even have time to read my post? LMAO

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes. Cause accidents only happen in busy residential areas. Never in the country. No danger there... :rolleyes:

if you can't do it then don't. period.

Fish
07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
if you can't do it then don't. period.

The fact that you think you can do it safely shows your ignorance.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
http://texting-while-driving.org/wp-content/uploads/texting-while-driving-vs-drunk-driving.jpg

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
The fact that you think you can do it safely shows your ignorance.

hell no. you're to ignorant to think some people can't handle it.

Fish
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

You can't even handle the Shift key on the keyboard. But yeah... go ahead and keep putting others in danger with your overconfidence. I'm sure you're a better driver than all those other fools who've taken a life because of an important text message.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

:facepalm:

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM

you weren't in this conversation for a reason

Bozo1970
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
You can't even handle the Shift key on the keyboard. But yeah... go ahead and keep putting others in danger with your overconfidence. I'm sure you're a better driver than all those other fools who've taken a life because of an important text message.

I DON'T TEXT AROUND OTHER VEHICLES. now theres the shift key for you. can you read that?

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Could one of the DWT/DUI people please post some actual studies that don't come in picture form?

Seriously, "a texting driver travels 21 feet further to stop".... that just sounds ludicrous without knowing how the study was conducted. "Typically staring at them for 5 seconds"..... uh, yeah, if you do that while tailing someone at 70mph in traffic, that's dangerous. Hell, it's dangerous in a lot of situations, which makes not looking at the keyboard for 5 seconds at a time downright logical. :facepalm:

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 07:47 PM
You can't even handle the Shift key on the keyboard.

Fewer keystrokes only helps the texters.... just sayin'.

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Could one of the DWT/DUI people please post some actual studies that don't come in picture form?

This is the link (http://texting-while-driving.org/)where I got all those vids and numbers regarding texting and driving.

Let me add something about another danger regarding texting and driving: I live in a nice neighborhood in Tampa. However, Tampa is notoriously known as the worst city in the nation for pedestrians. Last summer, they aired a news story on the very subject and 3 pedestrians were killed that day.

I walk my dog every day, 3 x's/day. I like to take him to this park a few blocks away from my house, but to get there, I walk down the end of my street to the main street that goes to the park. This is a two-way street and the speed limit is 45MPH. There's 1 sidewalk, and I shit you not, this sidewalk is less than five feet from the road: NO curb and NO guardrail.

I'm afraid that one of these days, when the traffic is at my back, and I'm walking my dog, that some shithead is going to be flying down the street doing 50MPH and texting and run me over. There is nothing between me and that car. If that car hits me and my dog, it's over. There's nothing between us.

There's danger everywhere. And it would suck for someone to lose their life because someone couldn't wait to text, "What's up?" while they're driving.

petegz28
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Anyone remember the girl who walked into an open manhole because she was texting while walking???? And here you are talking about people texting and driving.

Nzoner
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Dude,watch the video in post 43

greg63
07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0LCmStIw9E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0LCmStIw9E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 08:16 PM
This is the link (http://texting-while-driving.org/)where I got all those vids and numbers regarding texting and driving.

Not to brush aside any argument or link, but that page says so little with so many words.... it's dangerous, don't do it, here's someone who thinks it's dangerous, here's what some states do.

Studies like this just don't do it for me.... if you text while driving a car you've never driven, down a road you've never been down, while dealing with a computer simulation's idea of driving, you might suck at it! At least put them in a coned course in a parking lot, FFS.

I noticed the sources of that image were posted at the bottom, so maybe there's better info there.... :shrug:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XK3lZrOQWFs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XK3lZrOQWFs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

07-21-2010, 08:39 PM
anything that takes your eyes off the road is impaired driving. Plain and simple.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Dude,watch the video in post 43

That's my entire point... someone is driving 60mph+ on a two lane highway with no divider. Is it a good time to be texting while driving?

You decide it is (which is pretty stupid), and you start texting... you wander over the center line and safely find your way back into your lane. Is it still a good time to be texting while driving?

According to the person behind him, it happened a few times before the accident.

I get it... no one ever thinks it'll happen to them, etc; but it's not like getting behind the wheel with a .24 BAC and "paying extra attention".... you can significantly reduce the risk of any distraction by simply not being distracted.... but that doesn't mean you can't ever text while driving. You all make it sound like you're constantly driving at 70mph in traffic on a 4 lane undivided highway... which would not be a good time to text, btw.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I wish they would have gone into more detail on the inattention blindness part (I know what it is, I just wished they would have talked more about it).... that's what I'm interested in, and they showed one brief clip with the guy in a simulator.

MadMax
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Personally I would prefer NOBODY be able to text and drive,hell not even chat and drive. Eating is also a bad thing. I agree that they are absolutely as bad as drinking and driving. I prefer the same inconsiderate assholes not even shop and chat or text.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
This is a pretty good video, and it's where they got that 30ft stat or whatever.... it's not perfect, but at least they're behind the wheel of an actual car. I wonder if they still make those student driver cars with a break on the passenger side... that would be useful, and you could have real test.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/626953918" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=27137255001&playerId=626953918&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

greg63
07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
anything that takes your eyes off the road is impaired driving. Plain and simple.

This.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
From the video.... an extra 30 feet at 70mph, which is 2-2.5 car lengths. I would agree with anyone who said it's a bad idea to text while driving if you're in a situation where not having an extra 2 car lengths at 70mph results in an accident.

People love seeing "twice as much! four times as much! eleventybillion times more dangerous!!!!!"... get down to the numbers, people. Think about what the numbers mean.

The results, though not surprising, were eye-opening. Intern Brown’s baseline reaction time at 35 mph of 0.45 second worsened to 0.57 while reading a text, improved to 0.52 while writing a text, and returned almost to the baseline while impaired by alcohol, at 0.46. At 70 mph, his baseline reaction was 0.39 second, while the reading (0.50), texting (0.48), and drinking (0.50) numbers were similar. But the averages don’t tell the whole story. Looking at Jordan’s slowest reaction time at 35 mph, he traveled an extra 21 feet (more than a car length) before hitting the brakes while reading and went 16 feet longer while texting. At 70 mph, a vehicle travels 103 feet every second, and Brown’s worst reaction time while reading at that speed put him about 30 feet (31 while typing) farther down the road versus 15 feet while drunk.

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Actually, your eyes shouldn't stay fixed on the road at all times. They should always be moving, checking mirrors and so forth so you know what's around you. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to sneak an occasional glance at the speedometer and other gauges.

kcchiefsus
07-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I talk on the phone while I drive on occasion but I put the road first. My attention is first and foremost on the road, the phone comes second. I do not text while I drive.

Pablo
07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
So, a large percentage of CP'ers would rather meet a drunk driver on a two-lane highway than a sober person texting?

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
So, a large percentage of CP'ers would rather meet a drunk driver on a two-lane highway than a sober person texting?
Who is saying that?

greg63
07-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Actually, your eyes shouldn't stay fixed on the road at all times. They should always be moving, checking mirrors and so forth so you know what's around you. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to sneak an occasional glance at the speedometer and other gauges.

Yeah, but all those things are geared towards safely operating your vehicle.

Pablo
07-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Who is saying that?Well, if we're going by the logic that texting is more dangerous than drunk driving, I'd give you options A and B.

A) You're driving on a two lane highway and a drunk driver is approaching

or

B) You're driving on a two lane highway and a texter is approaching

Pick your poison CP, who do you want to face given those two options?

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, if we're going by the logic that texting is more dangerous than drunk driving, I'd give you options A and B.

or

The male.

RJ
07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Texting while driving is moronic. There is no reason for it. If you're texting while driving you are exhibiting a blatant disregard for the safety of others. Yourself too, but that's another story.

Every thime there's one of these threads I tell the story about my wife's cousin who rolled his car while texting. He died. Thankfully, his girlfriend did not.

There, I told it again.

I was behind a girl texting tonight on my way home tonight. She was driving slow for a while.....then back to normal speed.....then slowed down....I'm sure she had no idea how she was driving or how she was affecting traffic around her. I finally passed her on the right, her head was down paying no attention to what was going on around her.

Childish behavior.

luv
07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, if we're going by the logic that texting is more dangerous than drunk driving, I'd give you options A and B.

or

None of the above.

However, a texter can choose when to text and when not to text. A drunk driver is drunk 100% of the way.

That said, if someone is coming at you in your lane, will it really matter to you why they're in your lane when they hit you head on?

RJ
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM

or

I don't really have a preference as to whether I get taken out by a drunk or an asshole.

milkman
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

or

Quite frankly you're fucked either way.

A drunk driver may not have the capacity to respond to a horn.

A texter is too fucking busy to concern themselves with horns.

07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Actually, your eyes shouldn't stay fixed on the road at all times. They should always be moving, checking mirrors and so forth so you know what's around you. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to sneak an occasional glance at the speedometer and other gauges.Semantics. Being focused on the road would include all that. Let me rephrase. Be fully focused on driving correctly.

BETTER?:p

Bugeater
07-21-2010, 10:05 PM

or

Huh, I must've missed that logic. I suppose if I had to choose I'd take my chances with the drunk driver because at least he/she probably has their eyes on the road. Although that's kind of like asking if I'd rather eat a dog shit sandwich or a cat shit sandwich.

Bearcat
07-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Quite frankly you're ****ed either way.

A drunk driver may not have the capacity to respond to a horn.

A texter is too ****ing busy to concern themselves with horns.

You're possibly ****ed IF the texter is not paying attention to the road and to other drivers enough to notice there's an oncoming car, or chooses to keep texting as you approach..... and that's the same with someone playing with their music, taking care of kids in the backseat, talking on the phone, reading Ivanhoe, etc.

It's NOT the same as being MENTALLY IMPAIRED by alcohol or by exhaustion, because you have the choice to put the phone down well before you put anyone in danger.

At least luv understands me. :sulk:

07-21-2010, 10:17 PM

You're possibly ****ed IF the texter is not paying attention to the road and other drivers enough to notice there's an oncoming car and the choose to keep texting as you approach..... and that's the same with someone playing with their music, taking care of kids in the backseat, talking on the phone, reading Ivanhoe, etc.

It's NOT the same as being MENTALLY IMPAIRED by alcohol or by exhaustion, because you have the choice to put the phone down well before you put anyone in danger.

At least luv understands me. :sulk:I don't think anyone disagrees with the concepts you are posting. Personally, and I am biased because of the accident I was a victim of, I consider a driver doing anything but being focused on driving is a danger to myself, my family and everyone else around them.

luv
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM

I'm not sure saying that is going to help you any. :p

joesomebody
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
I'll admit I read texts while driving, but I try to never respond. I've done it, and I'll do it again, but I try not to.

I like to think of myself as a good driver, but texting while driving is definitely a good way to mess up a perfect driving record of 12 years.

On that note, I came the closest to an accident I can recall yesterday while staring at a really really f-ing hot jogger. The car in front of me didn't go when they should have, and my mind was on other things. I had to slam on the brakes, and my poor dog damn near slammed into my dash.

Marcus_Halberstram
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Sometimes I go to the ATM to pull out $500 just for the hell of it.

greg63
07-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees with the concepts you are posting. Personally, and I am biased because of the accident I was a victim of, I consider a driver doing anything but being focused on driving is a danger to myself, my family and everyone else around them.

Yup, if people want to place themselves in life threatening situation that's fine; just don't take me and my loved ones down that road too.

KCrockaholic
07-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I hate people that text while driving, but with that said, I don't see how the texting law is enforceable unless the officer is looking directly at you while your doing it.

Dave Lane
07-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I wonder how they define texting? Is reading an email texting? What about checking in on 4square? Updating facebook status? Uploading a picture? Typing in directions into google maps?

What about using a gps?

Goldmember
07-22-2010, 09:10 AM
But I'm also a guy that wishes it was legal to hit the dumbasses on bikes that think the line that seperates the auto lane from the bike lane is the bike lane.

Really, you see this often? I bike a lot and have seen a guy ride close to the car lane once in a while but not very often. Only reason I would is if there was a sewer, pot hole, glass, sharp objects, dead animal, slow biker, etc. in the bike lane.

RJ
07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Really, you see this often? I bike a lot and have seen a guy ride close to the car lane once in a while but not very often. Only reason I would is if there was a sewer, pot hole, glass, sharp objects, dead animal, slow biker, etc. in the bike lane.

Yes, a dead animal could certainly be a valid reason to ride outside or on the edge of the bike lane.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2egb2fd.jpg

Goldmember
07-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, a dead animal could certainly be a valid reason to ride outside or on the edge of the bike lane.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2egb2fd.jpg

ROFL I'd crap my pants.

milkman
07-24-2010, 05:55 AM

You're possibly ****ed IF the texter is not paying attention to the road and to other drivers enough to notice there's an oncoming car, or chooses to keep texting as you approach..... and that's the same with someone playing with their music, taking care of kids in the backseat, talking on the phone, reading Ivanhoe, etc.

I see texters all the time that aren't paying attention to the road or other drivers.

Just yesterday alone in my truck, I watched as a guy a guy texting in the lane beside me drift into my lane, and completely ignore my horn.

Further down the road, he ran off the side of the road.

milkman
07-24-2010, 05:56 AM

All the fucking time, and it really pisses me off.

Chiefaholic
07-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Just watched a kid in front of me damn near have a head on collision while texting. He couldn't manage to stay in his lane twice before a car was coming. The third time I saw a car heading our direction and laid on my horn for several seconds before he swirves back into the right lane. His show of appreciation for saving his ass.... He throws a McDonalds sack full of shit out his window for me to drive over. Texting and driving should be outlawed.

Bugeater
07-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Just watched a kid in front of me damn near have a head on collision while texting. He couldn't manage to stay in his lane twice before a car was coming. The third time I saw a car heading our direction and laid on my horn for several seconds before he swirves back into the right lane. His show of appreciation for saving his ass.... He throws a McDonalds sack full of shit out his window for me to drive over. Texting and driving should be outlawed.
It has been in many states. The problem is, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's nearly impossible to enforce.

RJ
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
It has been in many states. The problem is, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's nearly impossible to enforce.

Yet it's so easy to spot them. And as more of today's children reach driving age the problem gets worse.

I can understand a teenager doing it. They're still kids, after all, and are prone to doing stupid things. But you would think that by the time someone gets to their twenties they might have grown up enough to know better.

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I see texters all the time that aren't paying attention to the road or other drivers.

Just yesterday alone in my truck, I watched as a guy a guy texting in the lane beside me drift into my lane, and completely ignore my horn.

Further down the road, he ran off the side of the road.

We're going in circles here, see my first post...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6891863&postcount=62

....or this one...

A lot of people just shouldn't text... they're either too stupid and overestimate their competency (back to the first post), too oblivious (you'll find these same people stopping at the end of escalators or inside doorways at public places, generally driving bad regardless of what they're also doing, etc), or simply can't multitask.

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Wow, what a douche... :shake:

Bugeater
07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
We're going in circles here, see my first post...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6891863&postcount=62

....or this one...

A lot of people just shouldn't text... they're either too stupid and overestimate their competency (back to the first post), too oblivious (you'll find these same people stopping at the end of escalators or inside doorways at public places, generally driving bad regardless of what they're also doing, etc), or simply can't multitask.
The thing is...the car simply isn't a place where anyone should be multitasking. I don't care how good you are at it.

milkman
07-24-2010, 11:40 AM
The thing is...the car simply isn't a place where anyone should be multitasking. I don't care how good you are at it.

This.

RJ
07-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Exactly. Why is it so difficult to get this point across?

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM

I agree with that, for many situations, and just look at what people are complaining about.... Nzoner was talking about someone who was too oblivious to notice the light changing green and then was too busy to GTF out of the way and drive. The video was about a guy who was not only texting on a two lane undivided highway at 60+mph, but also crossed the center line a few times before getting into the wreck.... and the douche described a few posts back was doing something similar.

Those situations are all about people who are either too oblivious or too stupid to be texting while driving, because they don't know the difference between when it's okay to text and when it's not.... and I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind on whether there is ever a time when it's okay, but there is a huge difference between doing it in traffic and when there is no one around you, or between doing it on the highway or on a side street, or running through busy intersections and at a stop light (but I check the other light to see when it's changing yellow so I'm not caught sitting at a green light), etc.

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Exactly. Why is it so difficult to get this point across?

I completely understand that point.... it's not that it's difficult to get across, it's the fundamental point... the "agree to disagree" point that everyone gets back to when they're (not meaning Bug) done saying stupid crap like "texting while driving is the same as drunk driving!"

Bugeater
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with that, for many situations, and just look at what people are complaining about.... Nzoner was talking about someone who was too oblivious to notice the light changing green and then was too busy to GTF out of the way and drive. The video was about a guy who was not only texting on a two lane undivided highway at 60+mph, but also crossed the center line a few times before getting into the wreck.... and the douche described a few posts back was doing something similar.

Those situations are all about people who are either too oblivious or too stupid to be texting while driving, because they don't know the difference between when it's okay to text and when it's not.... and I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind on whether there is ever a time when it's okay, but there is a huge difference between doing it in traffic and when there is no one around you, or between doing it on the highway or on a side street, or running through busy intersections and at a stop light (but I check the other light to see when it's changing yellow so I'm not caught sitting at a green light), etc.
Oh, I believe a small percentage of people can do it responsibly. But for every 1 that can, there are 50 who can't. It's the same reason we have so many red left turn arrows at intersections, many people can't seem to make left turns on green without getting into accidents.

But all that aside, I still fail to see what could possibly be so important that you can't wait until you reach your destination to reply to your call/text. There is simply no legitimate reason to be doing it.

CosmicPal
07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
But all that aside, I still fail to see what could possibly be so important that you can't wait until you reach your destination to reply to your call/text. There is simply no legitimate reason to be doing it.

:clap:

Precisely. It's been said before, but it cannot be emphasized enough- NOTHING should be so damn important that it can't wait for you to reach your destination. If it's THAT phucking important for you to get back to someone, then pull the phuck over to the side of the road and text your charming little reply before putting everyone else in danger.

Bwana
07-24-2010, 02:11 PM

That sounds like a fast way to catch an ass kicking. :shake: Guys like that are going to get a Darwin Award at some point down the road, which is fine by me, as long as they don't take someone else with them when it happens.

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh, I believe a small percentage of people can do it responsibly. But for every 1 that can, there are 50 who can't. It's the same reason we have so many red left turn arrows at intersections, many people can't seem to make left turns on green without getting into accidents.

Yes, and I hate laws that protect stupid people from themselves... before they redid the Grandview Triangle, there was an exit that you had to take at ~35-40. At first there was simply a yellow exit sign that had the typical 30mph when you usually don't have to go that slow... then there were all the skid marks on the barriers... then more signs.... then they put grooves in that lane. They basically did everything but put infants in the roadway to get people to slow down, even though it was pretty obvious (if not for the turn itself, for all the skid marks you could plainly see before going into the turn).

Well, I get texts that are fairly time sensitive, and while they might not be extremely important, it just goes back to deciding whether you're putting yourself and/or others at risk by texting back... and if I'm going 35-40 down a side street with no oncoming traffic and no one close by, I'm not going to pull off just so I can type a few words. The majority of the time I'll just wait for a stop light or a stop sign where there's no one else close by or until I've reached my destination, but it's not like I'm always driving in traffic or even with other cars close by.

07-24-2010, 03:02 PM

That is about as straightforward as it gets.

RJ
07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes, and I hate laws that protect stupid people from themselves...

I don't care one way or the other about protecting stupid people from themselves but I do care about protecting my family from stupid people. So many stupid people, so little time....

CosmicPal
07-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I get texts that are fairly time sensitive, and while they might not be extremely important, it just goes back to deciding whether you're putting yourself and/or others at risk by texting back...

Pull over. Nothing in life is so important that you must drive a 2,500 lb moving vehicle and type at the same time.

and if I'm going 35-40 down a side street with no oncoming traffic and no one close by, I'm not going to pull off just so I can type a few words.

It's attitudes like this that get even the smart people killed. The attitude that it never happens to me is exactly how this happens to you. 40MPH into a tree with no cars or people around is still very much life threatening.

The majority of the time I'll just wait for a stop light or a stop sign where there's no one else close by or until I've reached my destination, but it's not like I'm always driving in traffic or even with other cars close by.

You live in the desert or something? If you live in a major metropolitan area like KC, you're in traffic no matter where you are.

Bear...you can defend your actions all you want, but you are not helping your cause in any way. Give it up. And please, don't be a fool with the automobile. 30-45 MPH has killed plenty people in the past.

Nothing in life is so important that it can't wait for you to pull into a parking lot and communicate with someone. Trust me, the day you end up in a hospital with a tube in your mouth and you can't move your toes will be the day you say to yourself, "Why the phuck did I have to text while driving."

RJ
07-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm sure my wife's cousin thought he was perfectly capable of texting and driving at the same time. He wasn't. At least he only killed himself. I wonder if that's any consolation for his mom?

Bearcat
07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Pull over. Nothing in life is so important that you must drive a 2,500 lb moving vehicle and type at the same time.

It's attitudes like this that get even the smart people killed. The attitude that it never happens to me is exactly how this happens to you. 40MPH into a tree with no cars or people around is still very much life threatening.

You live in the desert or something? If you live in a major metropolitan area like KC, you're in traffic no matter where you are.

Bear...you can defend your actions all you want, but you are not helping your cause in any way. Give it up. And please, don't be a fool with the automobile. 30-45 MPH has killed plenty people in the past.

Nothing in life is so important that it can't wait for you to pull into a parking lot and communicate with someone. Trust me, the day you end up in a hospital with a tube in your mouth and you can't move your toes will be the day you say to yourself, "Why the phuck did I have to text while driving."

Some of these responses are just so far on the other side of the spectrum from how I think of driving distractions/multitasking in general, it makes me wish everyone else was so set on being 100% focused 100% of the time on driving and being aware of those around them.

I don't even know how to respond to "40mph into a tree...".... why would I end up driving into a tree? I might end up driving into a tree if I was trying to solve a complicated problem from work that takes a lot of brain power or while doing something I've never done while on a road I've never driven on, but a lot of people who text do so at a rate of 500-1000+ per month, and a lot of people drive the same roads everyday or at least pretty often. I can text without looking at the keys, and it's normally not more than ~20-50 characters or something that even takes more than a 'yes' or 'no'.

And it's not the attitude that nothing will ever happen to me, it's weighing the risk of something actually happening.... and if I haven't made it clear enough, I'm not talking about putting others at risk, because I don't text in traffic.

Didn't you live in KC before Tampa? I live in NKC, and there are plenty of places without traffic... I don't think I've ever texted while on the major highways through town, like I35 (especially around downtown) or I70, mostly because I'm usually not on them long enough to care anyway.

Eh, like I said, we're so far apart on the issue... and I understand that it's hard to argue against being 100% focused on driving, especially when people see so many stupid people doing stupid things while using their phone (and it's not like anyone notices those who text and drive and don't have a negative impact on others solely because they don't have a negative impact).... but I just don't see how texting while driving down a side street is going to send you into a ditch.

07-24-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.nikkicraft.com/images/iseestupidpeople.jpg:D

Lzen
08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Stupid bitch today was talking on her phone and ran the stop sign. I ride my motorcycle to work and am very aware of other drivers. For anyone who knows the city, it was at 11th & College. I was southbound on College. There were 2 other cars stopped at the intersection. I just knew coming up on this that the dumb woman was not going to stop. She just rolled right on through the stop sign yakking away on her phone. I honked and then yelled "put your phone down!" and then mumbled something about "stupid fucking people". I doubt she even noticed. This is the 2nd time this summer that some stupid woman on a cell phone almost wrecked me. :cuss: