PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Original "Field of Dreams" Field For Sale

CosmicPal
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/minors/articles/2010/07/20/couple_selling_fabled_field_hopes_its_not_living_in_a_dream_world/

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2010/07/20/Field-of-Dreams__1279631044_4947.jpg

By Stan Grossfeld
Globe Staff / July 20, 2010

An estimated 1 million visitors have journeyed to the “Field of Dreams’’ movie site since the Academy Award-nominated film was released in 1989. But the owners of the farm, Don and Becky Lansing, say they have gone the distance, and now the fabled site is for sale.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2010/07/20/2__1279630120_2684.jpg

“It’s like being a baseball player; when your time is up, it’s up,’’ says Don Lansing, 68.

But with a $5.4 million asking price, no one has stepped to the plate to ease their pain.

The Lansings have never charged admission or for parking. There is no commercial signage, no fences to keep people out. The field is as picture perfect as the day Shoeless Joe Jackson wandered out of the cornfield and wondered if he were in heaven. Fathers and sons play catch, old-timers wander in and out of the corn giggling like schoolboys, and middle-aged men run the bases, their pot bellies jiggling.

The property has been both a blessing and a burden since Universal Studios built the “Field of Dreams’’ in four days in the summer of 1988 after a massive search for the perfect farm to place a ballfield.

Lansing received $50,000 for the location shooting. After the shoot, he thought he would leave the field intact for a few days so family and friends could play. But then it started — first as a trickle. On May 5, 1989, a man from New York drove cross-country to the site and wept at home plate. He insisted on giving Lansing a New York Giants baseball cap. And the visitors increased each year, leveling off at 65,000 people annually.

To this day, Don Lansing still rides his John Deere tractor and grooms the pathways with a sweeper made from old mattress springs. If he sees a weed, he gets down on his hands and creaky knees and removes it. Becky, a former tour operator, still gives free talks.

Cars and buses with squished bugs on the windshield and license plates from all around the country kick up dust on the gravel roads as they arrive from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week, April through November.

The scene is surreal. The faithful emerge with the same kind of reverence one sees at Gettysburg, the Wailing Wall, and the Sistine Chapel. There is no trash here, no rusted beer cans tossed in the high corn. The Lansing family has owned the farm since 1906, but six years ago they moved from the main house to a quieter home on the other side of the road.

They say they debated long and hard before deciding to sell the 193 acres, the home with the famous front porch with the swing and six other buildings, including the souvenir stand.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2010/07/20/3__1279630444_6146.jpg

“It’s time,’’ says Becky. “We are tired. We need somebody else to take the Field of Dreams to a new level.’’ But to do so would require zoning changes the Lansings don’t want to tackle.

Becky Lansing forecasts record crowds this summer, 21 years after the movie was released.

“I think people have accelerated their trip after hearing it was for sale,’’ she says.

On this day, a bus from West Virginia shows up. The mostly repeat visitors are worried new owners will over-commercialize the place.

Folks around Dyersville think the sale price is strictly Hollywood.

“We as the locals were kind of shocked that was the price they put on that,’’ says Dyersville’s mayor, James Heavens. “As a farm ground that land would be worth $7,000 an acre. But there is a spiritual connection to that place. It’s very well maintained. Maybe they’ll get $5.4 million from somebody. If they can get that, God bless ’em.’’

Becky Lansing says this isn’t about a cornfield and a ballfield. It’s more about second chances in life.

“This is a living, breathing piece of movie memorabilia. This is the only one in the world.’’

‘We’re not greedy’
Don Lansing, a shy, soft-spoken man of few words, has been stung by criticism of the hefty asking price.

“I don’t want people thinking we’re greedy,’’ he laments. “We’re not greedy. If we were greedy, we’d be charging people $20 [for admission]. We are not in this for money. We did this for the love of the game. It’s about making other people happy and making their dreams come true. Our philosophy was to keep it simple and serene so people can leave with a smile on their face.’’

Becky says the couple survives mostly on Don’s pension from 30 years working at John Deere as a forklift operator.

But the souvenir shop does a thriving business. Who wouldn’t want a “Field of Dreams’’ coffee cup ($11) that has ballplayers magically appearing in the cornfields when hot liquid is poured in the cup?

“You don’t make a living here,’’ says Becky, citing high maintenance costs. “Trust me, I’m being straight up with you.’’

The realtor is former relief pitcher Ken Sanders, who had a 10-year major league career. Sanders says he has fielded hundreds of inquiries from as far away as the United Arab Emirates (It was from Americans living there, he says).

“It’s not like selling a three-bedroom, bath-and-a-half ranch. There’s a lot of information that has to be shared,’’ says Sanders from his Milwaukee office. He was befriended by the Lansings when they allowed fantasy games to be played here 15 years ago. George Brett, Reggie Jackson, and Rollie Fingers, among others, participated. Ernie Banks, Sadaharu Oh, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Kirby Puckett also have visited.

Sanders says the Lansings have done enough. “To be very honest, the Lansings are getting burned out after 20-plus years. They don’t have the ambition, energy, enthusiasm, and creativity to raise more money.’’

Sanders says one prospective buyer wants to build a hotel and water park here. Another group wants to build a youth baseball complex, like Cooperstown Dream Parks.

“I’ve had a couple of verbal offers, but they need to massage their numbers a little bit,’’ Sanders says.

Dream marriage
The Lansings have no children to leave the farm to. Don was a bachelor who lived with his mother until he was in his mid-50s. Becky, who was a widow living in Boulder, Colo., met Don on New Year’s Day 1995 after she had three dreams telling her to report to the Field of Dreams. So she hopped in the car and drove.

“I ended up here on a very snowy New Year’s Eve. I sat there at the end of the driveway and I literally said, ‘OK, God, what’s up? You brought me here, now you’re going to leave me here?’ I went back to the hotel.’’

She called Lansing. “I said, ‘I was given a message that I was supposed to go to the Field of Dreams, would your wife mind if I came? He said, ‘Oh, first off, I’m not married, but I don’t want you to think I didn’t have plenty of opportunity.’’

She went to the field that night and did what the dream instructed her to do: eat a hot dog and drink a root beer in the stands.

The next morning she returned to the field, and this time Lansing came out of the house.

“I said, ‘Mr. Lansing, I’m the girl that called you,’ and he said, ‘I was waiting for you.’ ’’

Becky knew that day they would get married. On July 26, Don Lansing popped the question on the famous porch swing.

“We are just one of a million stories,’’ says Becky. “It is a gift. We get to watch people at their most exuberant and at their saddest.’’

Don says he also believes the field is magic.

“I had a father and two sons that weren’t getting along and by the time they left they were playing catch. Another time, I had two brothers that met out here that didn’t even plan on it. They were from different parts of the country — five states apart. They hadn’t seen each other in 10 years.’’

The Lansings say they are never going to move from the area.

“We’re ready to sit on those bleachers and watch the field continue to grow and be everything it can be,’’ says Becky. “We’re not going to move, no. From here? From heaven? No. Here I can get a plumber on Christmas morning.’’

A rough patch
But things have not always gone smoothly here.

The left- and center-field portion of the Field of Dreams was on the property of Al and Rita Amescamp. When tourists started to arrive, the Lansings and Amescamps tried to agree on a profit-sharing plan. They couldn’t. So for years there were two different roads, one saying “Left and Center Field of Dreams’’ and the other “Field of Dreams movie site,’’ both leading to two different souvenir shops.

“The media decided it was the Hatfields and the McCoys,’’ says Becky Lansing. “It wasn’t.’’

The Amescamps were more aggressive with their slice of heaven.

They brought in batting cages. Kevin Costner, who starred as Ray Kinsella, returned with his band and played to 1,000 people. They brought in the Ghost Players in old-time uniforms to emerge from the corn once a month. They leased their land to a private investor who put in a corn maze and charged $6 a person. It didn’t work.

Meanwhile, the Lansings allowed a Buick commercial shown during the 1989 World Series and some fantasy charity games. But it didn’t feel right, so they stopped. They didn’t want visitors who traveled halfway around the world to be told the field was closed. Three years ago, the Lansings bought the Amescamp’s part of the Field of Dreams.

“They are actually good neighbors and good friends,’’ says Becky.

Now, although there are no restrictions placed on potential buyers, the Lansings worry about the future of the Field of Dreams.

“There is something here that allows people the connection to a higher sense of existence,’’ says Becky. “I’m hoping that somebody who feels the same way I do buys it and keeps it exactly the same.’’

Stan Grossfeld can be reached at grossfeld@globe.com.

cardken
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
repost

Deberg_1990
08-11-2021, 08:54 PM
Bump. Anyone going to watch the ‘Field of Dreams’ game tomorrow night?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kevin Costner playing catch and making plays on the Field of Dreams field with Field of Dreams music in the background <a href="https://t.co/sn3rKS7WvO">pic.twitter.com/sn3rKS7WvO</a></p>&mdash; Ben Verlander (@BenVerlander) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1425626305148633095?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The White Sox &amp; Yankees will wear throwback uniforms for the Field of Dreams game ��<br><br>��: <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://t.co/KYcmf4s5dx">pic.twitter.com/KYcmf4s5dx</a></p>&mdash; FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1423297932065841160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Field of Dreams game is looking BEAUTIFUL <a href="https://twitter.com/short_porch?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@short_porch</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/barstoolchicago?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@barstoolchicago</a> <a href="https://t.co/JC9vhLDmHw">pic.twitter.com/JC9vhLDmHw</a></p>&mdash; Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1425493113167036421?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jenson71
08-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Absolutely watching it. Haven't been this excited for a sporting event since the Olympics.

Frazod
08-11-2021, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I might actually watch that if I remember it's on.

Those Sox throwback uniforms are badass.

Stewie
08-11-2021, 09:42 PM
They aren't playing on the field in the movie, which is a shame. MLB built an adjacent field that met their specs.

cosmo20002
08-11-2021, 10:36 PM
What a worthless, boring, gimmick.

cosmo20002
08-11-2021, 10:39 PM
Bump. Anyone going to watch the ‘Field of Dreams’ game tomorrow night?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The White Sox &amp; Yankees will wear throwback uniforms for the Field of Dreams game ��<br><br>��: <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://t.co/KYcmf4s5dx">pic.twitter.com/KYcmf4s5dx</a></p>&mdash; FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1423297932065841160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cool unis, although ruined by the Nike swoosh

tyecopeland
08-12-2021, 06:14 AM
Never seen the movie.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 06:34 AM
Never seen the movie.

I’m sorry.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:43 AM
Never seen the movie.

wow.

I may watch. Glad Costner was able to show up. It would not be real if he was not there.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-12-2021, 07:36 AM
For those saying they have never seen the movie, if you have a soul and have loved baseball your whole life, it's a must see. It's cheesy as hell but you'll love it.

As far as the field, I was actually up in Dyersville in April to visit the movie site, and the adjacent field was still in the works. It's close enough to the original field that I'm sure there will be some nice aerial shots of the two fields during the broadcast.

The tour guide said the people who purchased the site plan to turn it into a huge complex for travel ball leagues, an idea which I'm personally torn about. Said there will be hotels, restaurants, ect.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 07:39 AM
The tour guide said the people who purchased the site plan to turn it into a huge complex for travel ball leagues, an idea which I'm personally torn about. Said there will be hotels, restaurants, ect.

:facepalm: That will ruin the experience

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Hotels, etc. Yuck.

I do know even without the movie being there-that land is worth a lot of money.

BigRedChief
08-12-2021, 08:08 AM
They tore down the Field of Dreams ball field and built a 8000 seat stadium in its place?

alpha_omega
08-12-2021, 08:14 AM

That's a little far, but certainly a gimmick of some semi-nauseating degree.

I might flip to it just to see, but certainly won't be sitting down to watch just like I wouldn't any other whitesox/yankees game.

BigBeauford
08-12-2021, 08:25 AM
Here I was thinking they would be playing on the field. This is pretty lame.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 08:38 AM
They tore down the Field of Dreams ball field and built a 8000 seat stadium in its place?

I dont think they tore the original down. But they built an ‘MLB spec’ stadium right next to it.

I wonder what the dimensions are of the original movie field?

Papi
08-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Definitely watching. Huge fan of the movie. It's a classic and in my top 10.

Pablo
08-12-2021, 08:44 AM
There is preseason football on tonight. That trumps any kind of baseball. Especially when the Yankees are playing.

Pablo
08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
Yuck it’s the Pats v Washington maybe this is a better option.

BWillie
08-12-2021, 09:18 AM
Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa. - That should be on the sign when you go into Iowa from Missouri.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Hotels, etc. Yuck.

I do know even without the movie being there-that land is worth a lot of money.

I think it will be good just because the younger generations will be able to be involved with it now.

But yeah, glad I got there before it happened.

IowaHawkeyeChief
08-12-2021, 11:19 AM

No, the original is still there. I went a few years back and played catch on the field and even hit some balls and of course took the goofy pics going into the corn... It was actually cooler than I thought it would be, but I love the movie.

cosmo20002
08-12-2021, 11:35 AM
That's a little far, but certainly a gimmick of some semi-nauseating degree.

I might flip to it just to see, but certainly won't be sitting down to watch just like I wouldn't any other whitesox/yankees game.

So they built a little minor-league type field nearby a movie location. It isn't a historic field or interesting...it's just close to a field where they filmed a movie. It sure doesn't make the game itself more interesting...it's just something they can advertise, I guess. It's harmless I suppose, but the hype about it is just :rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 12:03 PM
I wonder where they are housing all the players and tv crew?

Not much around there looking at it on Google maps.

Red Dawg
08-12-2021, 12:04 PM
Waste of money to buy the land because of that worthless movie.

vailpass
08-12-2021, 12:21 PM
No, the original is still there. I went a few years back and played catch on the field and even hit some balls and of course took the goofy pics going into the corn... It was actually cooler than I thought it would be, but I love the movie.

Yep. I took my son there 20 years ago when he was a little boy. We played on the field and stopped at the Ertl toy shop to get some little steel tractors. I treasure the video from that time to this day. If I recall correctly, the field was owned then by two adjoining neighbors.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 12:22 PM
built a different field with seats to accommodate MLB and their specs. So there are two fields there now.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-12-2021, 12:28 PM
I wonder where they are housing all the players and tv crew?

Not much around there looking at it on Google maps.

I'm guessing Dubuque. That's where we stayed when we visited, it's only about 30 minutes away and there are actually a lot of upper end hotel and dining options. It's very touristy.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2021, 03:34 PM
I'm guessing Dubuque. That's where we stayed when we visited, it's only about 30 minutes away and there are actually a lot of upper end hotel and dining options. It's very touristy.

Yankees stayed in Kansas City and flew in to Dubuque this morning and will fly out after the game. Dubuque doesn't have any hotels that meet the MLBPA standard for hotels.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Pregame just started

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Costner doing his dramatic Hollywood entrance

eDave
08-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Could have done without that.

This will be the first regular season game I've watched since we won the WS.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 05:12 PM
No Tony La Russa managing tonight? Covid concerns?

cosmo20002
08-12-2021, 05:20 PM
James Earl Jones voice is gone. Sad. He's 90.

eDave
08-12-2021, 05:25 PM
James Earl Jones voice is gone. Sad. He's 90.

I wonder if a voice like that is hard on the voice.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-12-2021, 05:29 PM
This game is awesome. What an experience.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-12-2021, 05:29 PM
No Tony La Russa managing tonight? Covid concerns?

He's attending a funeral of a relative.

Frazod
08-12-2021, 05:44 PM
Anybody else from the movie there other than Costner?

Pitt Gorilla
08-12-2021, 05:49 PM
I dont think they tore the original down. But they built an ‘MLB spec’ stadium right next to it.

I wonder what the dimensions are of the original movie field?

They could have made it work, but it wouldn't make sense.

I'm really not interested in the game, even though we live somewhat close to Dyersville. If the Royals had been playing, I'd probably watch.

Pitt Gorilla
08-12-2021, 05:49 PM
Anybody else from the movie there other than Costner?

His original "dad" from the movie has been there this week, and I would guess he's still there.

Chiefspants
08-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Idk I'm really enjoying this. Reminds me of a lot of games I used to on diamonds in the middle of wheat and soybean fields in south-central KS. Can hear the cicadas and everything (unless I'm watching a bad feed).

Frazod
08-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Still hard to wrap my mind around the idea of Lance Lynn pitching lights out for Tony LaRussa in 2021.

cosmo20002
08-12-2021, 06:02 PM
I do like that WS jersey/logo...but that Nike swoosh just really fucking irritates me.

bdj23
08-12-2021, 06:05 PM

You're such a miserable prick, get some friends or go outside.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:08 PM
I liked Costner out walking around. I wonder if the "If you build it" line was supposed to come over, but didnt.

How else would have the players appeared. That was cool. The only reason I am watching it is because its Iowa.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:11 PM
now a hot air balloon

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is this Heaven? ��<br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBONFOX</a>) <a href="https://t.co/mIxNxHjHix">pic.twitter.com/mIxNxHjHix</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1425958023227351043?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lprechaun
08-12-2021, 06:18 PM
I hope this is a yearly thing. Rotate every team to get to play there.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Tickets must have been a fortune for this? Unless it was a private invite crowd?

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:33 PM
Tickets must have been a fortune for this? Unless it was a private invite crowd?

350-450. Open market was more

DYERSVILLE, Ia. — Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has said he's wanted to see how things go in Dyersville before committing to another game in Iowa.

He apparently has seen enough already to know that MLB should be back.

Manfred said before Thursday's game in Dyersville between the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox that MLB will return for another game in 2022.

"I think the reception that this has received has been so positive that we will be back," Manfred said.

More:Field of Dreams live updates: Fans line up ahead of New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox game

Alex Rodriguez films a video in the corn at the Field of Dreams movie site outside of Dyersville, Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2021.
Manfred's comments came shortly before Thursday's game, which was being played on a specially constructed field near the Dyersville diamond from the 1989 movie "Field of Dreams." Excitement for the game had been building ever since MLB announced in 2019 that it was planning on playing a 2020 game in Dyersville.

That originally planned game also included the Yankees and White Sox. But MLB was forced to change opponents for the White Sox due to COVID-19. They replaced the Yankees with the St. Louis Cardinals. MLB ultimately canceled that game due to the pandemic. When they rescheduled it for 2021, they brought the Yankees back in to play the White Sox.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:36 PM
DeKalb corn. Which really surprises me.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Lance Lynn is such a tub of lard

vailpass
08-12-2021, 06:39 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is this Heaven? ��<br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBONFOX</a>) <a href="https://t.co/mIxNxHjHix">pic.twitter.com/mIxNxHjHix</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1425958023227351043?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fucking cool. Iowa proud here.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:40 PM
9 things about the games

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2021/08/11/things-know-field-of-dreams-movie-dyersville-iowa-mlb-game-yankees-white-sox/5557003001/

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 06:42 PM
humble Costner

Papi
08-12-2021, 06:44 PM
Enjoying it! Solid move by mlb.

eDave
08-12-2021, 06:55 PM
****ing cool. Iowa proud here.

Eh. Kinda cheesy for him to do it given how the movie ended. Ray Liota doing that would have been way more better.

Frazod
08-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Eh. Kinda cheesy for him to do it given how the movie ended. Ray Liota doing that would have been way more better.

I assume that they must have tried to get Liotta to participate in this.

vailpass
08-12-2021, 07:03 PM

I don’t give a shit about the actors. It’s cool to have this game played on the field.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Call me a simpleton if you will, but I must say I am just really enjoying this.

After the last year and half, I can appreciate this a lot more than I would have if it happened in 2018. It’s nice.

TomBarndtsTwin
08-12-2021, 07:09 PM

Coolest thing I’ve seen from MLB in a looooong time.

More stuff like this, please.

Ocotillo
08-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Fuck the blue check marks!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Field of Dreams game</p>&mdash; Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) <a href="https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1425986303175405568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frazod
08-12-2021, 07:14 PM
Call me a simpleton if you will, but I must say I am just really enjoying this.

After the last year and half, I can appreciate this a lot more than I would have if it happened in 2018. It’s nice.

Well said. This is really cool.

Entertaining game, too.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2021, 07:16 PM
MLB has done a great job with this. Except for when I was trying to stream ESPN Radio in my car, it says I'm in the Chicago market thanks to AT&T, so I was blackout.

eDave
08-12-2021, 07:21 PM
I don’t give a shit about the actors. It’s cool to have this game played on the field.

Ah. Very neat.

CatinKS
08-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Five pages in and no one has said this broadcast is CORNY! VERY VERY CORNY. Come on now.....this group is too serious.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2021, 07:36 PM
For those saying they have never seen the movie, if you have a soul and have loved baseball your whole life, it's a must see. It's cheesy as hell but you'll love it.

As far as the field, I was actually up in Dyersville in April to visit the movie site, and the adjacent field was still in the works. It's close enough to the original field that I'm sure there will be some nice aerial shots of the two fields during the broadcast.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7d626e_12eaa0d6ce624cb78a202ba4e4a41135~mv2.jpg

Here is the plan for it.

Prison Bitch
08-12-2021, 07:46 PM
It’s racist!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">this field of dreams game feels racist no i won&#39;t explain <a href="https://t.co/hv3NGEfsZ6">pic.twitter.com/hv3NGEfsZ6</a></p>&mdash; Desus Nice (@desusnice) <a href="https://twitter.com/desusnice/status/1425994763233280002?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mlyonsd
08-12-2021, 07:48 PM
Love the shots with the corn in the background.

Gary Cooper
08-12-2021, 07:48 PM
No Burt Lancaster there? Come on.

TribalElder
08-12-2021, 07:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8n7orqVoAUxvZN?format=jpg&name=large

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 07:53 PM
Isn't Liotta a head case now?

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 07:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8n7orqVoAUxvZN?format=jpg&name=large

Why?
But-coming to Brooklyn Park MN

VAChief
08-12-2021, 07:56 PM
So they built a little minor-league type field nearby a movie location. It isn't a historic field or interesting...it's just close to a field where they filmed a movie. It sure doesn't make the game itself more interesting...it's just something they can advertise, I guess. It's harmless I suppose, but the hype about it is just :rolleyes:

That is a lot of unnecessary angst over something that while you don't seem to appreciate, others do.

eDave
08-12-2021, 07:57 PM
Seventh Inning Stretch
https://preview.pixlr.com/images/800wm/1395/2/1395200174.jpg

Frazod
08-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Isn't Liotta a head case now?

I've seen interviews where he comes off as more than a bit of a dick. Also seems to have that New York/New Jersey disdain for all things not New York/New Jersey.

Not surprising that he didn't want to mingle with the little people in fly-over country.

Ocotillo
08-12-2021, 08:01 PM
That is a lot of unnecessary angst over something that while you don't seem to appreciate, others do.

There's a group of blue check baseball liberals like Craig Calcaterra and Christina Kahrl that shit on this game and Field of Dreams in general.

But luckily they are drowned out by the masses.

TwistedChief
08-12-2021, 08:09 PM
Never seen the movie.

Watch it, dude. It's brilliant.

And they've done great tribute to it today.

Really happy to see something like this handled in the right way as that's super rare.

The music just melts me and I'm back to being a child listening to baseball (or football) on the radio...

VAChief
08-12-2021, 08:11 PM
There's a group of blue check baseball liberals like Craig Calcaterra and Christina Kahrl that shit on this game and Field of Dreams in general.

But luckily they are drowned out by the masses.

If you can watch Ken Burns "Baseball" over and over and appreciate it every time, chances are you are okay with this game despite the hype.

Frazod
08-12-2021, 08:12 PM

Really happy to see something like this handled in the right way as that's super rare.

The music just melts me and I'm back to being a child listening to baseball (or football) on the radio...

My No. 3 favorite movie of all time.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:14 PM
someone should have told those guys it was not sweet corn

Deberg_1990
08-12-2021, 08:15 PM
No Burt Lancaster there? Come on.

Seems like they could have gotten Amy Madigan and Timothy Busfield cheap.

Ocotillo
08-12-2021, 08:19 PM
If you can watch Ken Burns "Baseball" over and over and appreciate it every time, chances are you are okay with this game despite the hype.

First inning best encapsulates the agrarian roots of baseball. Even in New York City, the baseball clubs that would cross the Hudson and play games in the "countryside" of New Jersey.

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Madigan, maybe.

Busfield-no. Guy is a jerk.

Graystoke
08-12-2021, 08:37 PM
I am probably the only Iowan that didn’t like the movie.
With that said this is cool as shit.
Go Sox!

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:39 PM
went corn

Chiefspants
08-12-2021, 08:42 PM
WOW

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:42 PM
more corn

Graystoke
08-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Yanks putting balls out to harvest

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:43 PM
This is the type of game you have to win

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2021, 08:44 PM
Liam Hendriks pitching like he did with the Royals

ptlyon
08-12-2021, 08:46 PM
Not that I want the Sox to win, but want the Yankees to lose

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:53 PM
corn

game

Graystoke
Classic

Chiefspants
WHAT. A. GAME.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2021, 08:54 PM
Walk off into the corn!

displacedinMN
08-12-2021, 08:54 PM
somewhere, someone is freaking out about the fireworks setting the corn on fire

TomBarndtsTwin
08-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Tim Anderson is a douche, but that was still a cool way to end that game.

And the Yankees lose too, which is always great.

Fun game.

Do this once every year please.

mlyonsd
08-12-2021, 08:59 PM
They couldn't have scripted a better 9th inning.

Well done.

Graystoke
08-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Tim Anderson is a douche, but that was still a cool way to end that game.

And the Yankees lose too, which is always great.

Fun game.

Do this once every year please.

MLB Commissioner stated game 2022

Chiefspants
08-12-2021, 09:02 PM
Not that I want the Sox to win, but want the Yankees to lose

https://i.imgflip.com/52tb2p.jpg

ghak99
08-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish even if some of it was a bit corny and over done. A few of the player interviews make it appear as if they genuinely enjoyed the experience as well.

I absolutely hate what they plan to do with the area though.

Hoover
08-12-2021, 09:17 PM
somewhere, someone is freaking out about the fireworks setting the corn on fire

No. We launch the crap out of fireworks all over the state. Now if it was October then maybe.

Frazod
08-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Great ending. What a fun game.

Demonpenz
08-12-2021, 09:25 PM
Field of dreams is a movie I don't get the love for. I do like the part where Lancaster sacks the girl on her back thus shoving the hot dog down her throat to choke her to death

Megatron96
08-12-2021, 10:21 PM
Good game. They should play there every year.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2021, 12:16 AM
someone should have told those guys it was not sweet corn

You also don't eat corn without cooking it.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2021, 12:19 AM
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7d626e_12eaa0d6ce624cb78a202ba4e4a41135~mv2.jpg

Here is the plan for it.
Ugh. Hard pass. Leave the two fields and the corn.

Darien25
08-13-2021, 05:57 AM
You also don't eat corn without cooking it.

Years ago, on a road trip to River Falls to watch the Chiefs training camp, we stopped at a little road side stand selling vegetables just outside of River Falls. Lady selling the veggies gave me an uncooked ear of corn and said take a bite. At first I thought she was joking but she was totally serious and after partaking of the raw corn of the cob I was amazed at how sweet and crunchy and delicious it was. Who knew I was eating corn wrong all these years.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-13-2021, 07:24 AM
Years ago, on a road trip to River Falls to watch the Chiefs training camp, we stopped at a little road side stand selling vegetables just outside of River Falls. Lady selling the veggies gave me an uncooked ear of corn and said take a bite. At first I thought she was joking but she was totally serious and after partaking of the raw corn of the cob I was amazed at how sweet and crunchy and delicious it was. Who knew I was eating corn wrong all these years.

That's pretty common in Wisconsin, especially when it's fresh off the farm like that. A lot of farmers around here just grab ears and eat them while on the tractor.

We grow a crap load of corn in this state. I know we're more known for dairy but there's a cornfield on every corner around here too.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-13-2021, 07:25 AM
I've got to say, that whole event was absolutely awesome. So well done and just enough nostalgia to make it hit the feels without overdoing it.

Can't wait to see it again next year. One game per year out there seems like a good bet.

Frazod
08-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Yeah, they really hit this one out of the park. I can't remember the last time I watched a baseball game on TV featuring two teams I care nothing/next to nothing about. The weather was perfect and the game was entertaining and featured a damn near story book ending. But obviously most baseball games aren't nearly that dramatic or interesting.

I think the logistics of playing there will be a problem in the future. Last night went off without a hitch, but the day before it poured rain all day. How would you handle a rain out in an area with little to no suitable accommodations and limited transportation options? The whole thing could just have easily been a disaster.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2021, 10:03 AM
I think the logistics of playing there will be a problem in the future. Last night went off without a hitch, but the day before it poured rain all day. How would you handle a rain out in an area with little to no suitable accommodations and limited transportation options? The whole thing could just have easily been a disaster.

Yea. And your not going to get Costner to do a Hollywood opening every year. That’s what made it special last night. The one time only feel of it all.

BWillie
08-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Is there anything white people like more then The Field of Dreams or Forrest Gump?

ptlyon
08-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Is there anything white people like more then The Field of Dreams or Forrest Gump?

Blazing Saddles

BWillie
08-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Blazing Saddles

I still need to see that.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-13-2021, 10:09 AM

Cheap beer and easy women, but other than that not really. LMAO

BWillie
08-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Cheap beer and easy women, but other than that not really. LMAO

I like all of those things. Checks out.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Not even close to the whitest movies ever. Each features James Earl Jones and Mykelti Williamson in prominent roles.

burt
08-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Road head.

gblowfish
08-13-2021, 11:07 AM
So is Joe Buck done blowing Costner?

Frazod
08-13-2021, 11:11 AM
I'd really like to know how a movie about two ex-hippies and a black writer who was friends with Martin Luther King is racist.

VAChief
08-13-2021, 11:15 AM
I'd really like to know how a movie about two ex-hippies and a black writer who was friends with Martin Luther King is racist.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
08-13-2021, 11:32 AM

White privilege of owning acres of Iowa farmland

ptlyon
08-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Hey - we took that land fair and square

Frazod
08-13-2021, 11:41 AM

I guess it might also be offensive to people who have no idea who their fathers are.

Beef Supreme
08-13-2021, 11:53 AM
This whole event seems pretty corny.

Mennonite
08-13-2021, 11:55 AM

I guess you missed the after credits scene where Costner and his wife make James Earl Jones pick their corn for them after the game is over?

BWillie
08-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Hey - we took that land fair and square

Whenever I see an Indian in the Midwest I get a little surprised. Whoa shit - I thought we got 'em all.

Ocotillo
08-13-2021, 12:52 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For some, Field of Dreams is an all-time baseball movie classic. For <a href="https://twitter.com/TimAnderson7?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TimAnderson7</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/CC_Sabathia?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CC_Sabathia</a>... not so much. �� <br><br>Is Field of Dreams overrated? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheShift?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheShift</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB_Players?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB_PLAYERS</a> <a href="https://t.co/uENqyZPllM">pic.twitter.com/uENqyZPllM</a></p>&mdash; R2C2 (@R2C2) <a href="https://twitter.com/R2C2/status/1235965867558440961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

displacedinMN
08-13-2021, 01:16 PM
I still need to see that.

WATCH IT TONIGHT!!!

tyecopeland
08-13-2021, 02:51 PM

I’m sorry.

wow.

I may watch. Glad Costner was able to show up. It would not be real if he was not there.

Don't care about baseball. Never really have. Not sure about a soul, but I think I have one. Probably not going to watch it though. Won't say never though, I like a lot of Costner movies.

Ocotillo
08-13-2021, 03:18 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Regarding last night&#39;s Field of Dreams game:<br><br>Based on overnight ratings per sources — final numbers out later — FOX is looking at its best metered market rating (the rating for the largest media markets/cities in the U.S.) for an MLB regular season game since 2005.</p>&mdash; Richard Deitsch (@richarddeitsch) <a href="https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1426233448545636353?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ghak99
08-13-2021, 03:48 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For some, Field of Dreams is an all-time baseball movie classic. For <a href="https://twitter.com/TimAnderson7?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TimAnderson7</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/CC_Sabathia?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CC_Sabathia</a>... not so much. �� <br><br>Is Field of Dreams overrated? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheShift?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheShift</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB_Players?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB_PLAYERS</a> <a href="https://t.co/uENqyZPllM">pic.twitter.com/uENqyZPllM</a></p>&mdash; R2C2 (@R2C2) <a href="https://twitter.com/R2C2/status/1235965867558440961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

White people didn't watch Life and the Friday movies??

I still watch the Friday movies when I catch them on.

Demonpenz
08-13-2021, 06:40 PM
One scene I do like in field of dreams is james earl Jones listening to old men at the bar spin yarn about moonlight Graham.

srvy
08-13-2021, 09:12 PM
I enjoyed it but fell asleep somewhere in the 7th inning. Reading I missed a walk-off HR by the Chisox to end it dammit.

TwistedChief
08-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Don't care about baseball. Never really have. Not sure about a soul, but I think I have one. Probably not going to watch it though. Won't say never though, I like a lot of Costner movies.

I don't really consider mail delivery a hobby of mine but I watched The Postman.

And as a Costner fan, I think you'll find this more satisfying than Waterworld.

IowaHawkeyeChief
08-14-2021, 09:34 AM
I don't really consider mail delivery a hobby of mine but I watched The Postman.

And as a Costner fan, I think you'll find this more satisfying than Waterworld.

Troof

The only good thing about Waterworld was the subsequent Waterwold attraction and show at Universal Studios...

IowaHawkeyeChief
08-14-2021, 09:36 AM
I enjoyed it but fell asleep somewhere in the 7th inning. Reading I missed a walk-off HR by the Chisox to end it dammit.

Even better than that... Two homers by the Yankees in the top of the 9th to come back from 7-3 to take an 8-7 lead and then the Walk of 2 run HR in the 9th by the Sox...

R Clark
08-14-2021, 09:37 AM
Never understood the hate for water world and I liked the postman a lot. Perhaps I have shitty movie tastes lol

bdj23
08-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Never understood the hate for water world and I liked the postman a lot. Perhaps I have shitty movie tastes lol

Water World is the ultimate pleb filter

Deberg_1990
08-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Even better than that... Two homers by the Yankees in the top of the 9th to come back from 7-3 to take an 8-7 lead and then the Walk of 2 run HR in the 9th by the Sox...

Hollywood could not have scripted this game any better.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2021, 06:16 AM
Movie is getting a streaming series now. Because, of course it is….

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh, and by the way, yes, this is happening. <a href="https://t.co/bHubLZU9rv">https://t.co/bHubLZU9rv</a></p>&mdash; Joe Posnanski (@JPosnanski) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPosnanski/status/1427360666411732992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

displacedinMN
08-17-2021, 06:18 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh, and by the way, yes, this is happening. <a href="https://t.co/bHubLZU9rv">https://t.co/bHubLZU9rv</a></p>&mdash; Joe Posnanski (@JPosnanski) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPosnanski/status/1427360666411732992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is where my dad would say "Why in the hell cant you leave well enough alone"

Frazod
08-17-2021, 06:21 AM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/lhfnAjmZQHEpa/200w.gif?cid=82a1493bain0hl6exq6a44bit4zwasudaytjk9xda8dpwgfa&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

I figure this will probably play as well as the David Soul Casablanca TV series.

Frazod
08-17-2021, 06:23 AM
Oh, and apparently next year's Field of Dreams game will feature the Cubs and Reds.

Perhaps they can get Lee Elia to wander out of the corn and tell everyone that they're a bunch of cocksuckers. LMAO

Deberg_1990
08-17-2021, 07:00 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/lhfnAjmZQHEpa/200w.gif?cid=82a1493bain0hl6exq6a44bit4zwasudaytjk9xda8dpwgfa&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

I figure this will probably play as well as the David Soul Casablanca TV series.

https://youtu.be/nw2CZtTCXuc

ROFL

Chiefspants
08-17-2021, 08:33 AM
The TV show has a fantastic showrunner attached (The Office, Parks and Rec, The Good Place) which gives it potential to stand on its own.

Still not my first choice but if it’s gone work they picked the right person to pull it off.

Baby Lee
08-19-2021, 06:46 AM
Re: whether FoD is overhyped, or whatever. I recall it as a well made movie, but it didn't pack the emotional wallop for me personally because the central hook is the almost exact inverse of my relationship with my father.

We've always been close, but we never shared sports participation. We shared other interests, and we shared sports enjoyment. But my dad had poor eyesight as a child and his mom was overprotective, so he wasn't raised with contact sports and has been self-conscious about his abilities ever since.

So I've never 'yearned' to do something to connect with my dad, and the many things we do do together never involved 'a catch.'

But I can appreciate the emotional impact for others, . . . I just don't experience it myself.

Frazod
08-19-2021, 06:54 AM
Re: whether FoD is overhyped, or whatever. I recall it as a well made movie, but it didn't pack the emotional wallop for me personally because the central hook is the almost exact inverse of my relationship with my father.

We've always been close, but we never shared sports participation. We shared other interests, and we shared sports enjoyment. But my dad had poor eyesight as a child and his mom was overprotective, so he wasn't raised with contact sports and has been self-conscious about his abilities ever since.

So I've never 'yearned' to do something to connect with my dad, and the many things we do do together never involved 'a catch.'

But I can appreciate the emotional impact for others, . . . I just don't experience it myself.

It helps if you have a dead parent or two.

cosmo20002
08-19-2021, 11:01 AM

I never had terrorists hunting me in a skyscraper, but I still liked Die Hard.

bdj23
08-19-2021, 11:46 AM
I never had terrorists hunting me in a skyscraper, but I still liked Die Hard.

You're also a bitter vagina, so it's hard to imagine you making an emotional connection to anything.

eDave
08-19-2021, 01:17 PM

Wasn't really about that for me either. It was about baseball. Timeless baseball. It's a beautiful movie about a beautiful sport.

ChiefsCountry
08-11-2022, 06:31 PM
Anybody watching the Fields of Dream game? Still one of the coolest things MLB does.

displacedinMN
08-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Anybody watching the Fields of Dream game? Still one of the coolest things MLB does.

I am--just because it is in Iowa. About the only game I will watch all year.

How about Joe Votto?--talking live--during a game. Holy shit.

Frazod
08-11-2022, 07:02 PM
The wife and I visited there earlier this year. It was March, so there was no corn, but it was a neat experience. Plus, because of the time of year hardly anybody was there. We got a personal tour of the house, which has been restored to as close to movie condition as they could get it. And it is kind of surreal to stand on that mound and sit on that bleacher. I didn't know that Frank Thomas owns the place now.

I was surprised by how hilly the area was. Didn't really come across like that in the movie.

displacedinMN
08-11-2022, 07:44 PM
Virtual Harry Carey

Graystoke
08-12-2022, 06:59 AM
Virtual Harry Carey

That was weird. Plus it was the Sober voice of Harry. I like my Harry slurry.

ptlyon
08-12-2022, 07:16 AM
How about Joe Votto?--talking live--during a game. Holy shit.

Don't really watch baseball and only check the scores and standings once in a while. Made sure to watch the game last night (as the year before). Great showmanship for this game IMO. Also kind of taken back by Votto. Don't follow baseball so don't know him from a hill of beans, but, wow, very impressed with the man. Very well spoken and can just imagine the stories he could tell. Anybody that picks him up for broadcasting found a real gem in my opinion.

htismaqe
08-12-2022, 07:42 AM
It helps if you have a dead parent or two.

It also helps if you’re not from Iowa and don’t know damn well this is the furthest place from fucking heaven.

notorious
08-12-2022, 07:47 AM
The phrase "have a catch" is odd.

"Play catch" is correct.

displacedinMN
08-12-2022, 07:49 AM
It also helps if you’re not from Iowa and don’t know damn well this is the furthest place from fucking heaven.Oh come on.

By the way, no game next year....it is a soybean year on rotation[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

displacedinMN
08-12-2022, 07:51 AM
Don't really watch baseball and only check the scores and standings once in a while. Made sure to watch the game last night (as the year before). Great showmanship for this game IMO. Also kind of taken back by Votto. Don't follow baseball so don't know him from a hill of beans, but, wow, very impressed with the man. Very well spoken and can just imagine the stories he could tell. Anybody that picks him up for broadcasting found a real gem in my opinion.Look up votto. Entire career with reds. Leads the team in a lot of categories.

I agree with your statement. Has a broadcast career coming. Good call.

ptlyon
08-12-2022, 07:57 AM
It also helps if you’re not from Iowa and don’t know damn well this is the furthest place from ****ing heaven.

Oh go fist yourself

ptlyon
08-12-2022, 07:59 AM
Look up votto. Entire career with reds. Leads the team in a lot of categories.

I agree with your statement. Has a broadcast career coming. Good call.

They showed some of that during the interview. Also impressive. Thinks he still has a few years left. Just really impressed with the man.

ptlyon
08-12-2022, 08:02 AM
By the way, no game next year....it is a soybean year on rotation[emoji16]

Really? Pretty stupid. Make more from the game than the crops.

WilliamTheIrish
08-12-2022, 10:43 AM
The phrase "have a catch" is odd.

"Play catch" is correct.

To me, it’s one of the most beautiful lines ever delivered in a movie.

Because, as a kid who only had a few chances to have a catch with his Dad, due to an unfair and fatal tumor, it just hits me right in the heart. Every. Damn. Time.

KChiefs1
08-12-2022, 11:10 AM

I’d like to see a Royals game there.

I’m kinda surprised a minor league team hasn’t taken over that venue. Perfect setting.

Dyersville Dreamers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

displacedinMN
08-12-2022, 11:34 AM
Really? Pretty stupid. Make more from the game than the crops.

sarcasm

but no game next year because of construction on the site. adding youth fields.

ChiefsCountry
08-12-2022, 11:35 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The land around the Field of Dreams film site is being converted into a $80 million youth sports complex.<br><br>➖ 9 fields<br>➖ Indoor facility<br>➖ Team dorms<br>➖ Hotel<br>➖ RV park<br>➖ Trails<br><br>Construction will keep the MLB game away next year, but the complex is set to be opened by 2025. <a href="https://t.co/nwDIrapq7t">pic.twitter.com/nwDIrapq7t</a></p>&mdash; Front Office Sports (@FOS) <a href="https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1557864689387945985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frazod
08-12-2022, 11:45 AM
I sure as hell hope that grand plan comes with some serious road improvements. The FOD site is accessible by basic, fairly narrow blacktop country roads only, and is of course surrounded by numerous functioning farms. I was fairly surprised that this hadn't already been done given the popularity of the site. The road to my grandparents' farm north of Macon was wider and in better shape when I was a kid. It's gotta be a pain in the ass getting there in the summer on a normal day, and adding to it... damn.

I'll bet the farmers who live on that road call it Field of Nightmares.

Frazod
08-12-2022, 11:47 AM
It also helps if you’re not from Iowa and don’t know damn well this is the furthest place from fucking heaven.

Trust me, you'd remember it fondly if you'd spent the bulk of your adult life living in a major metropolitan area in a truly shitty state.

ghak99
08-12-2022, 02:16 PM
I sure as hell hope that grand plan comes with some serious road improvements. The FOD site is accessible by basic, fairly narrow blacktop country roads only, and is of course surrounded by numerous functioning farms. I was fairly surprised that this hadn't already been done given the popularity of the site. The road to my grandparents' farm north of Macon was wider and in better shape when I was a kid. It's gotta be a pain in the ass getting there in the summer on a normal day, and adding to it... damn.

I'll bet the farmers who live on that road call it Field of Nightmares.

I was hoping the grand plan had a heart attack and died. :harumph:

Frazod
08-12-2022, 03:29 PM
I was hoping the grand plan had a heart attack and died. :harumph:

It could be interesting, but shit like that needs some supporting infrastructure. And there simply isn't any. The location is remote, the roads suck, the nearby towns are tiny, and the nearest actual "city" is Dubuque, which isn't exactly big.

ghak99
08-12-2022, 06:44 PM
It could be interesting, but shit like that needs some supporting infrastructure. And there simply isn't any. The location is remote, the roads suck, the nearby towns are tiny, and the nearest actual "city" is Dubuque, which isn't exactly big.

That was part of the "charm" though. Or at least it was for me.

Now it's bound to become a commercialized theme park you avoid.