PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet KC gym recommendations

irishjayhawk
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Looking into gym options. Wondered if the planet had any recommendations.

DeezNutz
07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Athletic Club of Overland Park.

Very nice. Lots of Chiefs, Royals, and Wizards players. Tom Watson, too.

Silock
07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Well, Bally Fitness is cheap. It sucks, but the weights all weigh the same everywhere and there's no waiting for equipment. Did I mention it's retarded cheap?

NewChief
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Is it just you? Do you just need a place to go pump iron? It all really depends on what you need. Gyms can be everything from a warehouse with some weights to a full service daycare, kid camp, bar experience. Consider what you need and what you're gaining from it.

For instance, we pay $60 for our family membership, which is fairly high. That being said, we can walk to our gym. It offers free daycare (which is absolutely huge for us), free classes (my wife takes classes 6 days a week), and a good atmosphere. For us, it's worth the money. I could do it cheaper, but I feel we get good value for our money.

Some gyms go up to the next level, offering pools, basketball courts, kids camps, climbing walls, etc...

Next summer, we're actually going to join a premium gym for the summer and not enlist our kids in daycare. We do 2 days a week of daycare right now to allow me to work around the house and with my job during the summer (as well as have some sanity). I realized that I could have spent less money, joined this gym for the summer, and had access to a pool, daycare, and kid's camp. Well worth the money.

kcchiefsus
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Athletic Club of Overland Park.

Very nice. Lots of Chiefs, Royals, and Wizards players. Tom Watson, too.

Really? That's cool. Never noticed anybody special when I've been in there, although it's not the main gym I go to so I don't go often. I have a membership through my girlfriends mom so I go there when I'm in the area. Otherwise I go to Gold's Gym.

The Athletic Club of OP is definitely top notch. Weight room isn't huge but there is alot of other stuff. Racketball courts, basketball court, outdoor pool, amazing locker rooms, etc. Plus you can't beat having a bar at the gym.

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I worked at Prairie Life Fitness in Overland Park (still have my employee membership) and it's one I can recommend. If you go there Ask for Mitch, he's a great guy and will take care of you. I can also hook you up with some passes if you don't want to talk to any membership reps.

NewPhin did nail it though, it depends on what you want. PLF is one of the more expensive places, but it offers a lot of bang for your buck. If your looking to just find a place to go and lift there are better options.

Oh and wherever you go, be careful in the locker rooms. Lot's of guys "cruising" at gyms. There was one guy in particular at PLF, we had to stop letting him buy a pass because he had so many complaints against him.