PDA

View Full Version : Royals Alberto Callaspo traded to Angels for 2 minor league pitchers

OnTheWarpath15
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/07/22/sports/s153509D66.DTL

The Los Angeles Angels have acquired infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Kansas City Royals for pitchers Sean O'Sullivan and Will Smith.

The Royals activated outfielder Rick Ankiel from the disabled list and had him available for Thursday night's game against the New York Yankees. Ankiel hit .210 in 19 games before going on the disabled list May 3 with a pulled right quadriceps.

Callaspo, batting .275 with eight homers, was taken out of the Royals' lineup before the game and replaced by Wilson Betemit.

Kansas City says it plans to make another roster move when O'Sullivan joins the Royals. Smith will report to Class-A Wilmington.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/07/22/sports/s153509D66.DTL#ixzz0uSQa4sCV

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
R

:D

OnTheWarpath15
07-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I didn't scroll back far enough, but regardless, I think it deserved it's own thread instead of being buried in a 1500 post thread.

alnorth
07-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Smith will report to Class-A Wilmington.

Cool. By sending him back to Advanced-A, maybe we can repair some of the damage that the Angels did to his development when they rushed him.

Will Smith basically makes this trade. If O'Sullivan isn't total crap then maybe its a wash for the rental of Callaspo, but if Smith emerges, we win.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Clearing the way for Moose

Now let's get Guillen outta here

alnorth
07-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Now let's get Guillen outta here

I dont even care if we get nothing back, a team agreeing to pick up his salary would be good enough for me. Kila needs to get out of Omaha.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
I didn't scroll back far enough, but regardless, I think it deserved it's own thread instead of being buried in a 1500 post thread.

Appreciate the post regardless from a non royals fan

usually any news gets posted in the royals toilet bowl thread

kcchiefsus
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I dont even care if we get nothing back, a team agreeing to pick up his salary would be good enough for me. Kila needs to get out of Omaha.

Hell I don't even care if we have to pay his salary, just get him out of here so we can bring Kila up.

RJ
07-22-2010, 06:25 PM
The corresponding move was activating Ankiel from the DL.

DeezNutz
07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
The corresponding move was activating Ankiel from the DL.

As opposed to calling up Gordon, which would have been the far, far smarter move.

But whatever...

BWillie
07-22-2010, 06:28 PM
As opposed to calling up Gordon, which would have been the far, far smarter move.

But whatever...

The Royals have no idea what a sunk cost is

RJ
07-22-2010, 06:35 PM

But whatever...

Agreed. Triple A can't help Gordon any more than it has. They need to bring him back up and see what he can do.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2010, 06:37 PM

But whatever...
not if they think that he still can't hit at the major league level.

Gordon is worth far more in trade as a good minor league prospect than a .230 major league hitter. Maybe some team will trade for potential.

BWillie
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Gordon is worth far more in trade as a good minor league prospect than a .230 major league hitter. Maybe some team will trade for potential.

I actually think you have it backwards. I think Gordon's trade value isn't great. Imagine how much he'd be worth if people never saw his major league #'s and the Royals were the only team knowing his major league #'s. We could really screw some teams over backwards.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Gordons value is dogshit right now

DeezNutz
07-22-2010, 06:40 PM

True enough.

But I'd assume that Gordon's trade value is very low right now. Moore hasn't exactly proven himself to be a genious (CP), so if he has concerns about Gordon's potential, competent GMs probably feel the same way.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Steven ST O'Sullivan

CHENZ A!
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
WTF man, this is some bullshit. I didn't want to trade Bert. :cuss:

Mr. Laz
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
True enough.

But I'd assume that Gordon's trade value is very low right now. Moore hasn't exactly proven himself to be a genious (CP), so if he has concerns about Gordon's potential, competent GMs probably feel the same way.no doubt ... i think Gordon's trade value is probably crap right now. But ....

if Gordon still can't hit major league pitching then the only chance the Royals have to get anything for him is as a minor league prospect with potential.

The only reason to keep Gordon down in the minors is because they still think he can't hit. All this stuff about him learning a new position is crap. His problem was hitting, not playing 3rd. If he is still going hit .230 then he is just as worthless in left field as he was at 3rd base.

DeezNutz
07-22-2010, 06:48 PM
no doubt ... i think Gordon's trade value is probably crap right now. But ....

if Gordon still can't hit major league pitching then the only chance the Royals have to get anything for him is as a minor league prospect with potential.

The only reason to keep Gordon down in the minors is because they still think he can't hit. All this stuff about him learning a new position is crap. His problem was hitting, not playing 3rd. If he is still going hit .230 then he is just as worthless in left field as he was at 3rd base.

No argument here.

But it just seems damn near unbelievable to look at his current OPS and not think that a decent fraction of this could transfer.

DeezNutz
WTF man, this is some bullshit. I didn't want to trade Bert. :cuss:

Let it go, dude. He kind of sucks.

kstater

That's the thing. He's a major league player that busted out back to the minors, not a minor league prospect with potential. He's got to come back up and prove he's capable of playing in the bigs to have any value.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
No argument here.

But it just seems damn near unbelievable to look at his current OPS and not think that a decent fraction of this could transfer.
i know ... but it didn't transfer the 1st time he was brought up and it didn't transfer any time they sent him down to rehab,regroup or whatever.

IF ... the Royals don't think it's going to be any different they might be hoping that another team is thinking they same thing you are ... "surely he can't be that good and not do something in the majors"

he was considered an uber 5-tool player when he was first drafted

CHENZ A!
07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Let it go, dude. He kind of sucks.

I know, it's just he was the only non-pitcher on the team that I actually liked. pathetic, i know. :doh!: :( ROFL

CHENZ A!
07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
:doh!: :( ROFL

also, this pretty much sums up the way i feel when watching the royals, don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably throw in some of these(:cuss:) too.

Dave Lane
07-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Awesome deal for Dayton O'Sullivan sounds great.

Mecca
07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Gordon hits in the minors if you want him to change his swing it's going to have to be done at the MLB level because that's the level he doesn't have success at.

Do you think sending him back a level having him put up big stats is going to convince him he has a problem?

RJ
07-22-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't see another team trading for potential when he's already had 1200 major league at-bats and a 744 OPS to show for them.

They need to call him up and see what he does. Maybe if he hits they can move him.

BWillie
07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
no doubt ... i think Gordon's trade value is probably crap right now. But ....

He doesn't bat .230. Anybody can bat .230 in limited at bats. At WORST, if Gordon plays an entire season he's a .260 15 hr guys w/ a decent OBP. AT WORST. He's hasn't been good, but people really overrate how bad the guy is. The last full season he played he had a .351 OBP, which this club desperately could use.

ChiefsCountry
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Trouble with Gordon is we all had to big of expectations of what kind of MLB player he really projected to. Local kid, played the Royal's greatest player position, drafted #2. I think we all expect George Brett out of him, when in reality he is more Joe Randa.

Demonpenz
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
ummm we expected Mike Schmidt with more power.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Trouble with Gordon is we all had to big of expectations of what kind of MLB player he really projected to. Local kid, played the Royal's greatest player position, drafted #2. I think we all expect George Brett out of him, when in reality he is more Joe Randa.

Joe Randa hit near .300 but the hr and rbis are spot on

alnorth
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
The only reason to keep Gordon down in the minors is because they still think he can't hit.

The alternative explanation is stupidity, which is the camp I happen to be in. Gordon is having one of the greatest seasons of his career. Few, if anyone in any organization at any level from coast to coast in all of minor league baseball is hitting better than he is. This obsession over last season and that he will somehow drop a full freakin 0.400-0.500 points of OPS going from Omaha to KC is crap, IMO.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
This minor league stint had to have helped him, he just needs to play and avoid injury. we still dont know what he is...pother than 16 hrs and 60 rbis

alnorth
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
A few people said this already, but it bears repeating. Lets say he has a problem with his swing. I'm having a hard time believing it, but lets pretend the Royals coaching staff actually know what they are talking about in this situation, that all those homers, walks, and hits he's racking up are a mirage.

Gordon is obviously never going to fix it while smashing the skulls in of the Texas League pitchers he's murdering at the moment. If he's got a problem with his swing, he has to believe it by getting beat night in and night out. What would we lose this season? Our slim lead on 4th place?

edit: today in AAA: Kila 2/3 and a walk. Just another boring old high-OBP day for him, obviously still not ready.

Tytanium
07-23-2010, 11:14 AM
His problem was hitting, not playing 3rd.

He's a streaky hitter, but he was also terrible at third base. He put up positive UZR at 3B in 2007, but ever since then not so much. His defense there in 2010 was so bad that in 12 games he compiled a -4.0 UZR, which would put him on track for a -67.3 UZR/150.

DeezNutz
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Gordon called up. DeJesus to DL.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/23/2102395/royals-recall-gordon-after-placing.html

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Gordon picked up by my FBB team as a backup 3B/OF (once he gets eligibility). Pedro Alvarez to the waiver wire.

Fish
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Gordon called up. DeJesus to DL.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/23/2102395/royals-recall-gordon-after-placing.html

Well there you go.....

Now fucking do something with it Alice...

RJ
07-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Gordon picked up by my FBB team as a backup 3B/OF (once he gets eligibility). Pedro Alvarez to the waiver wire.

Dude, I'm glad to see Gordon back but I don't think I'd drop Pedro for him. He's been on quite a roll.

But best of luck to Gordon, I hope the kid comes through this time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Dude, I'm glad to see Gordon back but I don't think I'd drop Pedro for him. He's been on quite a roll.

But best of luck to Gordon, I hope the kid comes through this time.

Pedro struggles against LHP and he only has 3B eligibility anyway.

Gordon allows me more versatility in the bench.

As is, my hitters are

C: Mauer, Santana (who both start, usually)
1B: Ortiz
2B: Weeks
SS: Andrus
3B: Youkilis
OF: J. Upton
OF: Werth
OF: Cargo

Bench is Wigginton, Granderson, Y. Escobar, and now Gordon.

kstater
07-23-2010, 01:01 PM
odds of first AB strikeout?

jbwm89
07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
odds of first AB strikeout?

Can the pitcher throw a slider down and away? if so 100%

RJ
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Pedro struggles against LHP and he only has 3B eligibility anyway.

Gordon allows me more versatility in the bench.

As is, my hitters are

C: Mauer, Santana (who both start, usually)
1B: Ortiz
2B: Weeks
SS: Andrus
3B: Youkilis
OF: J. Upton
OF: Werth
OF: Cargo

Bench is Wigginton, Granderson, Y. Escobar, and now Gordon.

That's some nice bats. You have no place to start Gordon or Alvarez either one so might as well take the position flexibility.

alnorth
07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Can the pitcher throw a slider down and away?

not really. A.J. Burnett has a great curve, but he's basically a 2-pitch 5-ish ERA pitcher

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-23-2010, 05:47 PM
That's some nice bats. You have no place to start Gordon or Alvarez either one so might as well take the position flexibility.

It's a 14 team league, so flexible players really help.