PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV So who has AT&T U-Verse?

petegz28
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Do you like it? Is the internet speed good? I just ordered it yesterday, got a pretty good deal compared to what I pay Comcast now.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I got all signed up for U-Verse and then they came out to hook it up and told me I didn't have a strong enough signal.

Swanman
07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I had it before I moved. My new house wasn't in the Uverse area so I had to switch to Comcast. Overall, I liked the internet service a lot. I had the 18 Mb package, their fastest, and had no complaints. Very strong and reliable signal.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
My brother got it 2 weeks ago.

And went back to Cox yesterday.

Pants
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Since ATT is DSL, your internet speed will depend greatly on your location. Mine sucked huge donkey balls. As far as TV goes, they have a lot more channels in HD than Comcast but since their signal gets split up between so many channels it's nowhere near as crisp.

Also, I don't know how you're saving money with ATT. I was paying $120/mo for TV + Internet with ATT and now I'm paying $70 for the same thing with Comcast. All you have to do is be off Comcast for 2 months and then sign back up for their discounted rates for the first 6 months. Use ATT to get the $300 in Visa Cards and after 2 months, go back to Comcast. It's the greatest deal.

Dayze
07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I've had it for almost a year since the move (and had to get something other than DTV due to LOS issues); I must say I'm pretty happy with it. No issues thus far; zero.

HD quality is god. channel line up is good; menu navigation is good.
Internet speed is great for me.

in fact, even if I had the option to go back to DTV I'd seriously have to consider not doing it. ONly thing I miss about DTV is ST - which is way over priced at this point / i can't afford it etc.

petegz28
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Since ATT is DSL, your internet speed will depend greatly on your location. Mine sucked huge donkey balls. As far as TV goes, they have a lot more channels in HD than Comcast but since their signal gets split up between so many channels it's nowhere near as crisp.

Also, I don't know how you're saving money with ATT. I was paying $120/mo for TV + Internet with ATT and now I'm paying $70 for the same thing with Comcast. All you have to do is be off Comcast for 2 months and then sign back up for their discounted rates for the first 6 months. Use ATT to get the $300 in Visa Cards and after 2 months, go back to Comcast. It's the greatest deal.

With even a discounted (temporarily) Comcast package I am paying $120 and that is no movie channels and no DVR. Then I have to pay another $48 a month for my home phone. I am getting the U-Verse 450 pacakge that has 12mb internet and U-voice for $156.

Pants
07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I've had it for almost a year since the move (and had to get something other than DTV due to LOS issues); I must say I'm pretty happy with it. No issues thus far; zero.

HD quality is god. channel line up is good; menu navigation is good.
Internet speed is great for me.

in fact, even if I had the option to go back to DTV I'd seriously have to consider not doing it. ONly thing I miss about DTV is ST - which is way over priced at this point / i can't afford it etc.

Yeah, U-verse has by far the best DVR UI out of all the providers. That thing is crisp as hell. Another negative with U-verse, though, as compared to Comcast is that their free VOD selection is a lot more limited and the stuff that IS there a lot of times is not available in HD.

Overall, I would have to say I like Comcast more, but your mileage may vary.

Pants
07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
With even a discounted (temporarily) Comcast package I am paying $120 and that is no movie channels and no DVR. Then I have to pay another $48 a month for my home phone. I am getting the U-Verse 450 pacakge that has 12mb internet and U-voice for $156.

Their DVR is free, you just have to ask for it. I don't use a home phone because it's not 1996 anymore.

Dartgod
07-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Since ATT is DSL, your internet speed will depend greatly on your location.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that U-Verse internet is DSL. I have the 12MB package and have no complaints.

As for the TV, I love the fact that I can record up to 4 shows at once (only 2 if both HD) and then watch them in another room. I don't think their HD picture is as good as Time Warner was, but it's not that much of a drop off.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, but other than the DVR setup, it's not really better than TW, IMO.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I thought i heard AT&T's HD was compressed or something and not as good as dish or cable

My uncle has it and likes it, i watched the HD and couldn't tell too much difference but i didnt look hard

Phobia
07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
My brother got it 2 weeks ago.

And went back to Cox yesterday.

We had it 2 days. The internet performance was awesome. The DVR and video quality left a lot to be desired. Politely asked them to take it out.

Pants
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that U-Verse internet is DSL. I have the 12MB package and have no complaints.

As for the TV, I love the fact that I can record up to 4 shows at once (only 2 if both HD) and then watch them in another room. I don't think their HD picture is as good as Time Warner was, but it's not that much of a drop off.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, but other than the DVR setup, it's not really better than TW, IMO.

I'm pretty sure it is since they need a phone outlet to hook it up. It's definitely not cable. And even if its FO (like they claimed mine was) it's still FO to the local hub and then phone lines from there. My internet was super slow even though I got the Pro package (not elite). Bandwidth doesn't really matter that much when you compare internet speeds because most computers won't be able to come close to 5mbps speeds anyway, so as long as you're getting over 5, you should be fine. My deal was the freaking shit latency.

petegz28
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
We had it 2 days. The internet performance was awesome. The DVR and video quality left a lot to be desired. Politely asked them to take it out.

Was it just not as good or was it a totally shitty picutre? How long ago was this?

SLAG
07-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it is since they need a phone outlet to hook it up. It's definitely not cable. And even if its FO (like they claimed mine was) it's still FO to the local hub and then phone lines from there. My internet was super slow even though I got the Pro package (not elite). Bandwidth doesn't really matter that much when you compare internet speeds because most computers won't be able to come close to 5mbps speeds anyway, so as long as you're getting over 5, you should be fine. My deal was the freaking shit latency.

I have it and I like it but I am at the far end from the VRAD as well... I have the elite package but they say I am too far for the MAX

It is fiber to the Neighborhood (VRAD) then DSL to the house

its probably the only ATT service besides Home phone worth paying for

CoMoChief
07-23-2010, 12:33 PM
My dad wants it, his next door neighbor has it and the guy that lives across the street has it.

But U-Verse rep said that for some technical reason, the signal won't reach his house. Kinda strange.

jiveturkey
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
You can get the multi-room DVR with Directv now and picture blow AT&T away.

petegz28
07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
You can get the multi-room DVR with Directv now and picture blow AT&T away.

I'm not doing DTV. Everyone I know who has it complains about the signal everytime the weather gets bad. Plus I have trees that block where the dish would have to point too.

BryanBusby
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
There has been a lot of threads on this already, do a search as there's some good info within.

It's either hit or a miss. A lot of people had less than desired results, but my service has been good outside of the vrad taking a dump when we had flooding last month. But, I actually have FTTH (Fiber to the House) instead of just FTTN (Fiber to the Node). Had no problem getting the mega cashback they were offering either.

On the negative, they are pulling TW bullshit and have been jacking rates up like there's no tomorrow.

petegz28
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
There has been a lot of threads on this already, do a search as there's some good info within.

It's either hit or a miss. A lot of people had less than desired results, but my service has been good outside of the vrad taking a dump when we had flooding last month. But, I actually have FTTH (Fiber to the House) instead of just FTTN (Fiber to the Node). Had no problem getting the mega cashback they were offering either.

On the negative, they are pulling TW bullshit and have been jacking rates up like there's no tomorrow.

I have Fiber running to my house already so I am hoping that is what I will get. Actually I think I have coax running to the house, now that I think about it.

Pants
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I have it and I like it but I am at the far end from the VRAD as well... I have the elite package but they say I am too far for the MAX

It is fiber to the Neighborhood (VRAD) then DSL to the house

its probably the only ATT service besides Home phone worth paying for

Yeah, I had fiber to the node and it was still much slower than Comcast.

SLAG
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
My dad wants it, his next door neighbor has it and the guy that lives across the street has it.

But U-Verse rep said that for some technical reason, the signal won't reach his house. Kinda strange.

its all about distance from the VRAD

rageeumr
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Just hope it never breaks. Worst customer service ever. I don't think I have ever called them and not been on the phone (either on hold or being transferred) for over 30 minutes.

SLAG
07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Just hope it never breaks. Worst customer service ever. I don't think I have ever called them and not been on the phone (either on hold or being transferred) for over 30 minutes.

This is true - I dont even deal with the Forigen Techs I just ask for Tier II every time and that usually gets me to someone that knows WTF is going on

Spott
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM

The signal could reach you, but the quality goes down quite a bit once you get over the threshold(3000 feet)from the VRAD cabinet. My neighbor eight houses up has it but I can't get it because I am at about 3200 feet, which sucks for me because I would get a great employee discount on it.

petegz28
07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok, what is the VRAD?

Reerun_KC
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I got all signed up for U-Verse and then they came out to hook it up and told me I didn't have a strong enough signal.

I did that, and in typical att fashion... It took a long fight to get it cancelled, charged and crap ton on services. Couldnt settle with them to get it resolved.

God att sucks the penis.

Spott
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok, what is the VRAD?

The VRAD is a beige box about 4 foot high that the phone companies use to feed fiber to neighborhoods.

http://dependablecomputer.com/images/vrad.jpg

petegz28
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
The VRAD is a beige box about 4 foot high that the phone companies use to feed fiber to neighborhoods.

http://dependablecomputer.com/images/vrad.jpg

hmmm, I must look for this. I know between my house and the neighbor's the junction box for all the cable and phone stuff is there. But it doesn't look like that.

Spott
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
hmmm, I must look for this. I know between my house and the neighbor's the junction box for all the cable and phone stuff is there. But it doesn't look like that.

Normally they put them on a concrete pedestal next to existing equipment like cross boxes, closures, etc.

Al Bundy
07-23-2010, 06:54 PM
I have it and I love it. Truth be told I would have kept my DirecTV but tree's were in the way. The HD is fine for me and the internet is good enough.