PDA

View Full Version : Life What is the rational for mototcyclers not to wear helmets?

chris
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Heard at work this morning about a dude that was killed in an accident.

Apparently, he lost control for whatever reason, went into the ditch, and his head hit the ground. DOA.

I don't understand the mindset of refusing to wear a helmet.

To my simple mind, this thinking qualifies for a Darwin award. www.darwinawards.com/

Please share with us your reasons why or why not on helmets.

Thanks

chiefsnorth
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
90% of them just think it cramps their style.

They come up with reasons like "I like to feel the wind in my hair" or that helmets are actually dangerous which is absurd, but among all the riders I know, it's just about looking cool.

For the sportbike guys, who wear expensive gear all over but no helmet, I think most of them are hoping to impress skanks - which m/cs are great for, but not if they can't see your face. So they want women to be able to take a look at them, they will tell you honestly.

I support all their rights to make their own (dumb) choices.

CHENZ A!
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
I would wear one with a big spike on it like meth in the triumph video
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I dont think there should be laws for it. It should be the decision of the person riding the motorcycle.

However in today's world, with as many drivers there are (stupid ones esp), you're a moron for not wearing one. However there shouldn't be a law for it. Just like seatbelts.

If you choose to not wear your seatbelt, then you risk your life should you be involved in an accident. It's just stupid not to wear safety equip etc.

Sofa King
07-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I dont think there should be laws for it. It should be the decision of the person riding the motorcycle.

However in today's world, with as many drivers there are (stupid ones esp), you're a moron for not wearing one. However there shouldn't be a law for it. Just like seatbelts.

If you choose to not wear your seatbelt, then you risk your life should you be involved in an accident. It's just stupid not to wear safety equip etc.

Seatbelt laws aren't meant to just protect the people in the vehicle. They're also meant to protect the families and friends of the people in that vehicle.

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Seatbelt laws aren't meant to just protect the people in the vehicle. They're also meant to protect the families and friends of the people in that vehicle.

Same thing, you think motorcyclists don't have family members or friends?

Sofa King
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Same thing, you think motorcyclists don't have family members or friends?

that was actually my point....

Seat Belts = Helmets

DMAC
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Seatbelt laws aren't meant to just protect the people in the vehicle. They're also meant to protect the families and friends of the people in that vehicle.That's deep bro.

http://s4.tinypic.com/154egax_th.jpg

Bugeater
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
As long as I can be held liable for a motorcyclist's injuries, it should be a law that they have to wear them. Same with seat belts.

Demonpenz
07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I knew a guy with full family who decided to get a midlife crisis, we tried to tell him getting a motorcycle was a bad idea. that was 3 years ago today. Too bad some people are just to selfish to realize that motorcycles are deadly.

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
that was actually my point....

Which I'm saying seatbelt laws and helmet laws are all the same, yet they're stupid to make it....A LAW. It should be the decision of the motorist. If so called motorist is dumb enough not to wear one, well then they can suffer to potential consequences. Trust me I've seen some horrible shit in my line of work. I see hundreds of smashed cars a week. I hear stories of people not surviving car crashes because they're not wearing safety belts, not wearing helmets on motorcycles.....it's unfortunate these things have to happen but they do. I just don't think there needs to be a law made for people who want to be selfish on their own lives.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
As long as I can be held liable for a motorcyclist's injuries, it should be a law that they have to wear them. Same with seat belts.

fuckin' communist!

while i agree its smart to wear them, it shouldn't be the law.

Brock
07-28-2010, 08:42 AM
I knew a guy with full family who decided to get a midlife crisis, we tried to tell him getting a motorcycle was a bad idea. that was 3 years ago today. Too bad some people are just to selfish to realize that motorcycles are deadly.

Don't you wish you guys hadn't jinxed him?

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 08:42 AM
I knew a guy with full family who decided to get a midlife crisis, we tried to tell him getting a motorcycle was a bad idea. that was 3 years ago today. Too bad some people are just to selfish to realize that people who can't ride motorcycles correctly are deadly.

FYP.

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
****in' communist!

exactly.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Am I reading that all of us who ride are selfish? If not, I apologize, but that's one of the dumbest things I've seen on here (and that's saying something)

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I ride because I enjoy it. Add in the fact that my bike gets roughly 45mpg and my truck gets 18 and I'm saving money by riding it rather than driving my truck.
As for the original question, do I always wear a helmet, no. Why....there's no good answer for that. I'm more comfortable without one, but I know the other side of that is that I would much likely be a hell of a lot better off in an accident with one than without.

Sofa King
07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Which I'm saying seatbelt laws and helmet laws are all the same, yet they're stupid to make it....A LAW. It should be the decision of the motorist. If so called motorist is dumb enough not to wear one, well then they can suffer to potential consequences. Trust me I've seen some horrible shit in my line of work. I see hundreds of smashed cars a week. I hear stories of people not surviving car crashes because they're not wearing safety belts, not wearing helmets on motorcycles.....it's unfortunate these things have to happen but they do. I just don't think there needs to be a law made for people who want to be selfish on their own lives.

The only thing i don't like about the seat belt law is that it gives cops a reason to pull people over to try to find other crap....

or if they pull something over, it gives them a way out... a "seat belt violation"...

but as for the reasoning of the law, i understand that... i would like to know what effect the law has actually had on death tolls...

Bugeater
07-28-2010, 08:54 AM
****in' communist!

You do realize that accidents involving injuries drive everyone's insurance rates up, right?

exactly.
You're a dumbass. You work in the insurance business for crissakes, if anyone should understand why it needs to be a law, it's you.

Demonpenz
07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Am I reading that all of us who ride are selfish? If not, I apologize, but that's one of the dumbest things I've seen on here (and that's saying something)

no need to apoligize, but it's true. People put the feeling of the wind in their hair, and some faux bad ass feeling it gives you, sorry you are not Lorenzo Lamas, and you aren't in the hit show Renegade.

Bugeater
07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
The only thing i don't like about the seat belt law is that it gives cops a reason to pull people over to try to find other crap....

Not necessarily, here in NE seat belt laws are secondary violations, meaning you can't be pulled over for not wearing one. You can only be ticketed for it if you are pulled over for some other reason.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
no need to apoligize, but it's true.

I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but can you explain WHY you think that all motorcycle riders are selfish?

Gonzo
07-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I was at the gas station on the SE corner of Kellogg and Andover road in Andover, KS about 12-13 years ago when a guy on a crotch-rocket decided he was going to beat the light.
A late 80's model Chevy started to turn in front of him and the guy laid his bike down. His helmetless head hit the chrome bumper at about 45-50 mph. The bike ended up laying at my feet and I was 50 yards away. Dudes head pretty much imploded upon impact. I read in the paper that he lived a few days afterwards. I don't know if he would have made it or not with a helmet on but you have to think his chances would have been dramatically improved.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
07-28-2010, 09:12 AM

And taxpayers that frequently have to pick up the disability bill after some one expresses their "freedom".

gblowfish
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I hate what motorcycles do to people. Back in the early 1980's I worked for awhile at Trinity Lutheran Hospital in midtown KC. One of my jobs was wheeling people into the ER off the incoming ambulance. I've seen lots of results of motorcycle wrecks. Wearing a helmet is not an unreasonable law at all. Beats death or being a vegetable from a wreck.

DJ's left nut
FYP.

Nonsense.

Anyone that's spent much time on a bike has had at least one time where they were completely at the mercy of some fuckwit in a car that was texting or not paying attention.

The best rider in the world can't to shit about someone pulling out in front of you.

The bike's dangerous. I have full gear and wear a helmet every time out. At the same time, I won't even begin to argue that it's not a hell of a lot more dangerous being on the scoot than it is in my car or SUV.

Dayze
I ride all gear, all the time (riding boots, riding pants/Kevlar enforced w/ armor, jacket w/ armor, gloves)
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
If it’s too hot to ride with all of it, I don’t ride.

There are squids that ride all kinds of bikes – cruisers, sportbikes etc. I talked to a guy who doesn’t wear gear on his cruiser about why he doesn’t wear gear and he said something to the effect of “oh, I don’t ride crazy like those sport bike guys”. I guess he fails to realize smacking his head on the ground going 5mph can kill him just as easily. And, even if he wore a helmet, he’d probably be thinking twice about not wearing a jacket, pants (riding pants, that is) if he slid about 25+ yards on the pavement and had to have the hospital pick out all the asphalt from his fresh rash.

If you ride a bike, the longer you ride you will crash at some point. If you haven’t yet, you will.
If you make it through your entire riding life without crashing, laying it down etc, I suspect you’re in the extreme minority.

I wrecked my ZX-6R in ’02; 60mph low side. Had all my gear on, only thing suffered was a broken hand, and cracked rib. No rash etc. Low sided, rolled to my back, and rolled backwards – head smacking the ground. Helmet had a quarter-sized chunk missing from the back. I’d be dead if I wasn’t wearing gear. 100% sure on that.

I use the mindset of “I respect your choice to not wear a helmet/gear when you ride, but you should also respect my stance that you’re a moron”

Garcia Bronco
07-28-2010, 09:24 AM
There are two types of motorcycle riders and two types only; the kind that have been down, and the kind that are going to go down.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Why? Various reasons.
On a motorcycle you get more of a sense for the speed you’re doing and the climate changes you travel through that are isolated from someone that has never ridden before. Going helmet less actually increases your feel for this, but I won’t try to deny that the looking cool factor has anything to do with it.
I religiously wear a helmet now but didn’t always, so I won’t preach to anyone about it.
I will say that anyone riding through Kansas without a helmet is nuts. The bugs alone will knock your stupid block off.

milkman
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I have to say, not wearing helmets on a motorcyle just doesn't seem....rationale.....

beach tribe
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
You do realize that accidents involving injuries drive everyone's insurance rates up, right?

You're a dumbass. You work in the insurance business for crissakes, if anyone should understand why it needs to be a law, it's you.

It costs the insurance companies less if you die though.

Brock
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
It costs the insurance companies less if you die though.

Assuming you die immediately and don't linger for months.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM

insurance companies shouldn't pay a dime to anyone not wearing a helmet or seat belt. that should be the last line in any insurance policy. if you weren't wearing a seatbelt or helmet this policy is null and void.

that being said, do you think this country of the free should be making laws with insurance companies in mind?

Demonpenz
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but can you explain WHY you think that all motorcycle riders are selfish?

I think they are putting their experience before their family. Sure Tim Mcgraw looks cool in the #1 hit video "Indian Outlaw" but seriously you should think of the danger riding a motorcycle brings.

DJ's left nut
07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
As for why motorcyclists don't wear it, the common BS rationale's are:

1) The extra weight is actually more dangerous as it can create a whiplash effect that will break your neck. (scientifically disproven, but you'll hear it from time to time).

2) That the vision restrictions of a helmet serve to make you less aware and thus less able to react and avoid a potential collision. I can't really dispute this, your vision is severely restricted with a helmet, but a good % of these accidents are simply unavoidable. With only 2 tires on the ground, you don't stop well and you don't tend to turn that well either. Physics are what they are.

3) That if the choice is between dead (without a helmet) or a barely functioning cripple (with a helmet), then they'll just going with dead. It's a macabre rationale and a stupid one. Most motorcycle accidents are at relatively low speeds, so your choices are actually barely functioning cripple (without a helmet) or walk away with road rash (with a helmet).

I got knocked into a median at 50 mph by a guy that just changed lanes right into me. I got on the brakes but not enough to clear him and his back end hit my front wheel. Needless to say, that was a battle I did not win (and rolling down the highway was not fun) It totalled the bike and all I have is some scars on my legs for the trouble. Meanwhile, the damn helmet cracked. Yeah, I'm gonna say the helmet was worth the effort there.

Brock
07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
insurance companies shouldn't pay a dime to anyone not wearing a helmet or seat belt. that should be the last line in any insurance policy. if you weren't wearing a seatbelt or helmet this policy is null and void.

that being said, do you think this country of the free should be making laws with insurance companies in mind?

That's great, but somebody is still stuck with a hospital bill.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM

i'm pretty sure you're being penzed. if not i'm very dissapointed.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I wrecked my ZX-6R in ’02; 60mph low side. Had all my gear on, only thing suffered was a broken hand, and cracked rib. No rash etc. Low sided, rolled to my back, and rolled backwards – head smacking the ground. Helmet had a quarter-sized chunk missing from the back. I’d be dead if I wasn’t wearing gear. 100% sure on that.

I had a similar wreck.
Low sided doing 60 something.
Slid so far for so long that I put my feet down to try and slow the slid down. That was a mistake because then my foot caught something and I started tumbling.
At one point I bounced right off the top of my helmeted head hitting a rock that took a dime sized chunk almost a half inch deep out of my helmet. If I hadn’t been wearing a helmet I’d be dead, or a vegetable.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
i'm pretty sure you're being penzed. if not i'm very dissapointed.

That's why I said I couldn't believe I was gonna even ask.

Demonpenz
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
People don't understand what it is like to read "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" to the kids of dead Riders. It is especially tough when you get to chapter 4 when Ralph (the mouse that rides a motorcycle) is being selfish over a piece of cheese. Motorcycle riders everywhere I think, can learn to put their family before the piece of "cheese"

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
That's great, but somebody is still stuck with a hospital bill.

while that is certainly a valid point. i would imagine that if people knew they and their bike/car would not be covered if they chose to be unsafe, a whole hell of a lot of them would change their tune.

i also have a problem with our healthcare system passing the buck to the taxpayers. you see, i'm not a communist. if you are in serious condition cause you didn't wear your seatbelt/helmet, and the insurance won't cover you cause of the policy(i wish) and you can't afford hospital bills. THEN WEAR YOU F'N SEATBELT/HELMET SO THE INSURANCE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU IN CASE OF A WRECK! if you make the decision to risk it then you should wind up on the losing end of that risk. people in this country are not accountable for their decisions. always want someone else to fix it, pay for it, blame for it. its pathetic. not the way its done, just the way it should be.

beach tribe
07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Assuming you die immediately and don't linger for months.

I guarantee you die quicker with it off, than with it on.

Usually not a lot of lingering, when your brains are coming out of your ears.

Brock
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I guarantee you die quicker with it off, than with it on.

Usually not a lot of lingering, when your brains are coming out of your ears.

Sorry, that's not a guarantee you can make.

RJ
07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
I know a dude who took a spill from a moped. He was just riding up and down his block at about 5-10 mph, goofing around during a July 4th party he held every year. Of course he wasn't wearing a helmet. He ended up in the hospital for a month or so, then rehab for several more. He never was the same mentally. His memory was pretty much shot and his personality changed dramatically. At the time of his accident he had a very successful wood and laminate installation company and a nice little flooring store. Eventually his best employees and customers started leaving him, his store closed and the last I heard he was getting just a few installation jobs a month, mostly by under-bidding them.

All of that could have been prevented just by not being a dumbass. That's been 10 years and over that time he's cost himself and his family all sorts of misery and probably a couple million bucks. Sad thing. He was a good dude and damn fine wood installer.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
I honestly don’t know why folks don’t ride with at least a helmet on.
I mean, a motorcycle is completely different than a car (Obviously). There are so many things you need when running through curves to get the bike to behave properly. Sportbikes in particular can be very unforgiving in this regard. Go in too hot, grab brake; suspension compresses, tire can only do so much and if you grab just a smidge too much, you’re lowsiding.

There are so many unknowns on the road that can take you out. Deer, dogs, sand, gravel, curbs, cars. Not to mention the rider errors that contribute to laying it down. Being in a sweeping turn on a two –lane; get into a turn too hot; grab too much front brake = low side. Taking a bad line, running wide hitting sand/junk on the side of the white line = crash. Target fixating in a turn where you may be running too hot into it, or seeing an object in your line and trying to avoid it = crash more often than not.

The only time I’ve felt as though I could open it up and not have to worry about cops, deer, dogs, dead animals, sand, curbs, people, trees etc was at the track. At that point, any crash is almost always rider error.

I know a ton of guys who go to maybe 2 track days per month from April to Sept; excellent riders, but none of them ride on the street simply because of all the unknowns.

Cruisers are a little different simply because of the difference in power, cornering clearance, and overall mindset when riding it etc. Sportbikes it’s very easy to get yourself into trouble, very quickly. When I had my V-star I rarely rode above the speed limit, so getting into a turn too hot was virtually never an issue. However the deal with cruisers is generally their weight, and stopping power. Bringing a 750lb bike to a stop can catch you off guard if going too fast.

Ugly Duck
07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I bounced right off the top of my helmeted head hitting a rock that took a dime sized chunk almost a half inch deep out of my helmet. If I hadn’t been wearing a helmet I’d be dead, or a vegetable.

Dude. That story gives me the creeps bigtime. That wuz freakin close, man.

As a tech that does head CTs, I support the helmet law in California. Other states would all do the same if they were smart. Head injuries are unbelievably expensive to diagnose & treat. When some no-helmet yahoo with no health insurance cracks his head the hospital racks up astronomical bills. Everybody else ends up paying for the guy just like Bugeater sez.

dirk digler
07-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I have thought about getting a motorcycle but have held off. My question to all the people that do ride is it worth it knowing the risks?

Dayze
07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I have thought about getting a motorcycle but have held off. My question to all the people that do ride is it worth it knowing the risks?

Absolutely.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Dude. That story gives me the creeps bigtime. That wuz freakin close, man.

As a tech that does head CTs, I support the helmet law in California. Other states would all do the same if they were smart. Head injuries are unbelievably expensive to diagnose & treat. When some no-helmet yahoo with no health insurance cracks his head the hospital racks up astronomical bills. Everybody else ends up paying for the guy just like Bugeater sez.

fuckin' communist!

Ugly Duck
07-28-2010, 10:13 AM

It was worth it til I got married. Then I just couldn't risk making my wife a widow or leaving my future kids without a dad. Just didn't seem fair to them.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 10:15 AM

I love riding, but can't answer for everyone. It's not about looking cool (that stopped a long while ago for this old man) or anything else, I just enjoy it. I don't get into the sport bike thing or even as riding as part of a group with other cruisers. I have no desire to go faster than reasonable (3-5 mph > the speed limit). It's also a heck of a lot cheaper to ride it than drive my gas guzzler every day.

But like someone above said, there are two types of folks who ride motorcycles: those that have been in a wreck and those that will be.

milkman
07-28-2010, 10:15 AM
It was worth it til I got married. Then I just couldn't risk making my wife a widow or leaving my future kids without a dad. Just didn't seem fair to them.

Were you afraid you'd run over the man who might father her children?

RJ
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Were you afraid you'd run over the man who might father her children?

I love all that time travel stuff.

Alton deFlat
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Makes no sense to me. You can ride a motorcycle with no helmet, but it isn't legal to drive your car without wearing your seat belt.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
if you're considering getting a bike, the best I advice I can give is to check your ego at the door.

not only in terms of the size of bike (engine), but also what kind of bike will suit you for what kind of riding you want to do. For example, if you wanted to commute occasionally, and go for a quick weekend morning rideonce or twice a month; a V-star 650 would suffice plenty; no need for a 1300cc+ cruiser, HD/Victory/or otherwise. Not to mention cost 1/5 of the bigger bikes. I had a Vstar 650 Custom for about 3 years; commuted 70 miles a day on it; rode weekends etc, zero problems. I bought it 2 years old with 1500 miles on it for $3k. I'm 6' and 230 and it hauled me around just fine.

commuting?
cruising?
bike night/boulevard cruising?
touring?
touring 2-up?
sport touring?
dual sport?
sport?

based on honest answers to those, you will find yourself with a bike that makes you truly happy.

some of the most fun I've had on a bike was on a Kawasaki KLR 650; single thumper dual-sport bike. not a ton of power by any means, but a great torque curve; great riding position; could ride pavement/street, commute, and even the unpaved/non-maintained county/country roads.

truly a do-it-all bike.

dirk digler
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Absolutely.

I love riding, but can't answer for everyone. It's not about looking cool (that stopped a long while ago for this old man) or anything else, I just enjoy it. I don't get into the sport bike thing or even as riding as part of a group with other cruisers. I have no desire to go faster than reasonable (3-5 mph > the speed limit). It's also a heck of a lot cheaper to ride it than drive my gas guzzler every day.

But like someone above said, there are two types of folks who ride motorcycles: those that have been in a wreck and those that will be.

Thanks. I have been wanting one just to drive back and forth to work in town and maybe do a little cruising on weekends once I become comfortable.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
If you decide to ride take a motorcycle safety class as well if at all possible. Not only can you save a few bucks on insurance but a decent one can help you out with avoiding common mistakes.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 10:31 AM
If you decide to ride take a motorcycle safety class as well if at all possible. Not only can you save a few bucks on insurance but a decent one can help you out with avoiding common mistakes.

^ this times eleventy.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM

I think the value can only be assessed on a personal basis.
I haven’t been riding much anymore partially due to my Jeep taking over as favored toy but also because I have a family now so every time I throw a leg over my scoot I’m risking more than my own hide.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I have been wanting one just to drive back and forth to work in town and maybe do a little cruising on weekends once I become comfortable.

there are lots of bikes to be had for very little money that will provide you a ton of enjoyment while you try to determine if motorcycling is someting you wan to get 'into' etc. If so, you can always move up in power /change bikes to suit your riding style. I had a V-star 650; commuted 70 miles each day; weekend rides; rode 2 up with the wife frequently. the 650 motor was strong.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2003-Yamaha-V-Star--Custom-97133745

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-Suzuki-Boulevard-C50-96919880

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2001-Honda-Vt600-Shadowvlx-Dlx-97087094

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2005-Kawasaki-Klr650-96465524

dirk digler
07-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I think the value can only be assessed on a personal basis.
I haven’t been riding much anymore partially due to my Jeep taking over as favored toy but also because I have a family now so every time I throw a leg over my scoot I’m risking more than my own hide.

That is kind of where I am at Radar. I want one and think they would be fun but then I realize there is alot of stupid drivers out there that don't pay attention and unlike a car there is a little or no protection. My boss rides his Harley every once and while and has been hit a couple of times.

So basically I am going back and forth on this and don't really know if it is worth it or not.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
That is kind of where I am at Radar. I want one and think they would be fun but then I realize there is alot of stupid drivers out there that don't pay attention and unlike a car there is a little or no protection. My boss rides his Harley every once and while and has been hit a couple of times.

So basically I am going back and forth on this and don't really know if it is worth it or not.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn from the MSF course (avoiding blind spots, keeping bike geared for good power in the event of evasive manuevers, which side of the lane to ride in, planning escape routes); and you'd be surprised at how many bikers out there have either never been to the MSF course, and/or do not even have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

Riding in traffic is very defensive approach; weekend jaunts, I would head out early a.m. and ride up north in Liberty/Excelsior springs/Kearney for a few hours and just chill on the alphabet hwys. Head home, stop off at the Plaza for coffee etc.Thos rides were very relaxing/theraputic.

Earthling
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
The most important thing to consider, imho, is how careless a LOT of people are on the road. I treat virtually every other vehicle on the road as being in the controll of a blind drunk. I would never dream of going over the road without a helmet but in the city I seldom use one. Of course my situation might be different, as my city is small and the speed limits are low. In a large city I would most definitely wear one.

WilliamTheIrish
07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I ride a bicycle. And I do it all the time. There isn't a moment I get on one that I don't securely fasten my helmet.

Honestly, I don't know how motorcyclists have the nerve to even ride in this day and age. You have to be on your game and ready to move out of the way of people and still keep enough wits about you to not want to kill every motorist.

Motorcycles go much faster than I do and I've been hit on a bicycle twice. (Nothing serious, save for the dent in the hood I left in a 2008 BMW. Didn't have toe clips and fortunately didn't go under the wheels.) After the second one I'm on trails only for the duration of my life.

DJ, I cannot imagine getting tossed at 60 MPH.

Ugly Duck
07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
****in' communist!

?? Well, ya. I'm a communist & so are you. We all are. Communists all chip in to pay for the health care of those who cannot afford it. Under the present system, we are all paying for the medical bills of the uninsured. Communists one & all, you communist, you!

Dayze
07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
the good news here folks, is he looked 'cool' for the entire duration of the crash/slide.
http://www.thetakeonlife.com/admin/news/photos/663513road_rash1.jpg

morphius
07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't even want to think what would have happened had I not had a full face helmet on during my highside, did a perfect belly flop and the momentum slammed my head face first into the ground. I had my visor flipped most of the way up and it bent all the way back and left a scratch across the bridge of my nose.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't even want to think what would have happened had I not had a full face helmet on during my highside, did a perfect belly flop and the momentum slammed my head face first into the ground. I had my visor flipped most of the way up and it bent all the way back and left a scratch across the bridge of my nose.

:eek:
yeah, thankfully I've never high sided.

i have had, however, a few 'pucker' moments when leaned over quite a ways, exiting the turn in the meat of the power band & on the gas a bit much; had the rear drift out a bit.

Bugeater
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Makes no sense to me. You can ride a motorcycle with no helmet, but it isn't legal to drive your car without wearing your seat belt.
Not in every state.

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/50state.html

seclark
07-28-2010, 01:12 PM
i seldom ride my bike to work. don't like packing a laptop, etc. i'll ride 2 to 3 evenings after work for about an hour. helps me wind down, i guess. take a couple longer road trips each year. mainly the 5 hour trip to omaha, or to eastern illinois where my wife's family is from. hardly ever ride after dark, and will do whatever i can to keep from riding in the rain.

that said, i don't care what the state helmet laws are. i always wear a helmet, good eye protection, boots and gloves.

also...i rode for 30 years before i took the safety course. couldn't believe how much i learned from it, and how much safer it makes me feel.

sec

DJ's left nut
07-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I ride a bicycle. And I do it all the time. There isn't a moment I get on one that I don't securely fasten my helmet.

Honestly, I don't know how motorcyclists have the nerve to even ride in this day and age. You have to be on your game and ready to move out of the way of people and still keep enough wits about you to not want to kill every motorist.

Motorcycles go much faster than I do and I've been hit on a bicycle twice. (Nothing serious, save for the dent in the hood I left in a 2008 BMW. Didn't have toe clips and fortunately didn't go under the wheels.) After the second one I'm on trails only for the duration of my life.

DJ, I cannot imagine getting tossed at 60 MPH.

In fairness, I haven't had mine out this season. I got the Camaro and it's been my nice weather toy. The bike needed an inspection and a new tag, I just haven't done it.

I drive a lot for work and about once a month I'll see something where I know that I probably couldn't have done anything about it on the bike.

Unfortunately, idiots that can't drive or won't pay attention are making the roads impassable for folks on motorcycles.

jjjayb
07-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Poeple die in car accidents every day. Is it selfish to drive a car? :rolleyes:

BigMeatballDave
07-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I've never driven a motorcycle, so I cant say. I get the whole 'freedom' thing though. What irritates me is, they crack down on seatbelts so much, especially in Ohio, but have NO helmet law. Explain that logic...

jjjayb
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
the good news here folks, is he looked 'cool' for the entire duration of the crash/slide.

Now he'll have scars. Chicks dig scars even more than bikes! ;)

Monty
07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
i seldom ride my bike to work. don't like packing a laptop, etc. i'll ride 2 to 3 evenings after work for about an hour. helps me wind down, i guess. take a couple longer road trips each year. mainly the 5 hour trip to omaha, or to eastern illinois where my wife's family is from. hardly ever ride after dark, and will do whatever i can to keep from riding in the rain.

that said, i don't care what the state helmet laws are. i always wear a helmet, good eye protection, boots and gloves.

also...i rode for 30 years before i took the safety course. couldn't believe how much i learned from it, and how much safer it makes me feel.

sec

Here in TX, you can't ride without a helmet unless you've taken the MSF course and I highly recommend anyone who climbs on a bike to take the course. I ride almost every day to/from work and have taken a couple of long bike rides this summer(one to NC and the other to Colorado). I've been in 2 accidents in the last 3 years, both of which were not my fault, the second I'm still mostly recovering from and always wear my helmet, even for those quick jaunts across town. Yeah, there are idiots everywhere, so defensive driving is a must. If something happens to me, my wife is set for life, so I'm just enjoying the ride for now.

BigMeatballDave
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Not necessarily, here in NE seat belt laws are secondary violations, meaning you can't be pulled over for not wearing one. You can only be ticketed for it if you are pulled over for some other reason.Here in Ohio, they will pull you over for it. Nazi fuckers. :D I usually wear mine.

seclark
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
If something happens to me, my wife is set for life, so I'm just enjoying the ride for now.

same here...i think that's why she wants me to ride more.
sec

BigMeatballDave
07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
People don't understand what it is like to read "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" to the kids of dead Riders. It is especially tough when you get to chapter 4 when Ralph (the mouse that rides a motorcycle) is being selfish over a piece of cheese. Motorcycle riders everywhere I think, can learn to put their family before the piece of "cheese"LMAO Awesome!

CoMoChief
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM

I agree whole heartedly on why people SHOULD wear seatbelts. I wear mine all the time. I wear helmets when I ride motorcycles and dirtbikes.

I just don't think it needs to be A LAW where people are being fined for not wearing one.

BigMeatballDave
07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I just don't think it needs to be A LAW where people are being fined for not wearing one.Its a law so when you crash on your bike without a helmet, or your car without a seatbelt, the revenue from the fines pay to scoop your carcass off the pavement. :)

vailpass
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
If a dude wants to ride a donorcycle that is his right.

SDChiefs
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Well, reason its legal in AZ is that it can get to 120 degrees. If it is that hot the tempeture could be twice that in the helmet, if you can't afford to pay for a $600 helmet. When it gets that hot people pass out. Pass out on a MC and youre Fuct.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM

True, and I’ll admit it took an accident worse than that one to get me to gear up and wear a helmet. Of course that is also how I met Mrs. Radar so it was a life changing event in many ways.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
If a dude wants to ride a donorcycle that is his right.

Heh, “donorcycle”. The doc that was stitching my head up after the previously mentioned accident kept calling them “murdercycles”.

morphius
07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
:eek:
yeah, thankfully I've never high sided.

i have had, however, a few 'pucker' moments when leaned over quite a ways, exiting the turn in the meat of the power band & on the gas a bit much; had the rear drift out a bit.
Yeah, it wasn't fun. When I saw the headlight of my CBR my only thought was, "I'm not supposed to see that". My next thought was, "Oh @)*$ I need those", when looking at my hands sticking on in front of me. Then I hit and all I could think of was that the bike was still behind me and started crawling till I heard a large, "thunk" and just sat there on my hands and knees while some jogger kept asking if I was okay. I had wind knocked out of me and couldn't answer, just kept putting my finger in the air trying to let him know it will be a minute. After the third time I was able to give him a thumbs up when he guessed what was going on.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I think helmets are cool.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
For instance:

http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/boba-fett-helmet-1.jpg

http://media.techeblog.com/images/motorcycle_helmet_4.jpg

Dayze
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah, it wasn't fun. When I saw the headlight of my CBR my only thought was, "I'm not supposed to see that". My next thought was, "Oh @)*$ I need those", when looking at my hands sticking on in front of me. Then I hit and all I could think of was that the bike was still behind me and started crawling till I heard a large, "thunk" and just sat there on my hands and knees while some jogger kept asking if I was okay. I had wind knocked out of me and couldn't answer, just kept putting my finger in the air trying to let him know it will be a minute. After the third time I was able to give him a thumbs up when he guessed what was going on.

ROFL

vailpass
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Heh, “donorcycle”. The doc that was stitching my head up after the previously mentioned accident kept calling them “murdercycles”.

Buddie's wife is an ER nurse, she says that is what they call them in the ER.
Murdercycles huh? Guess the docs see some nasty things from bike accidents.

By the same token they ought to develop a nasty nickname for cars, trucks and anything else that rolls down the road.

DJ's left nut
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Yup, you always have a quick thought right at the offset. Mine was a simple "shit, no saving this one..."

Mine was a quasi-high side. The front wheel went left on impact, I went flying up and over it (due to the inertia). I put my hands out in front of me and my left palm took most of that initial force. I smacked my head pretty good, but the whole scene completely slowed down. I probably rolled 6 or 7 times and about midway through I realized I should pull my arms in to keep from breaking them on something. Sparks from the bike were rolling around me, so I knew the bike was close (not a comforting thought). It couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 seconds from start to finish but the whole thing is vivid as can be.

When I stopped, I immediately stood up to get out of the road and found myself staring at headlights. I was pretty sure that was the end of me...fortunately the car behind me had stopped.

Meanwhile, ****o just kept right on driving. Never slowed down, we never found out who did it. Asshole could've just as easily killed me and didn't even tap his breaks.

People suck.

Lzen
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM

I agree that there should not be a law for helmets. If people want to be dumb and not wear one, that's their life. And I agree that seat belt use should not be a law with one exception - if you are in a vehicle with passengers (or if you are one of the passengers). Reason for this is that people become projectiles in accidents and can injure or kill others who are wearing seat belts.

Lzen
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I ride because I enjoy it. Add in the fact that my bike gets roughly 45mpg and my truck gets 18 and I'm saving money by riding it rather than driving my truck.

Agreed.

On the helmet issue, I always wear one.

alnorth
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I always thought these people were fanatically in favor of organ donation awareness, to the point where they are worried that their own survival may prevent their own organs to be used by others.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
For instance:

http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/boba-fett-helmet-1.jpg

http://media.techeblog.com/images/motorcycle_helmet_4.jpg

He only wore it for one race that I know of, but this is a cool Valentino Rossi replica helmet from AGV.

http://i28.tinypic.com/oa3tc5.jpg

kcfanXIII
07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
i wear most of my gear, most of the time. there are only a few instances where i have not wore a helmet. most of the times i've done it, have been at a bike rally. i like the wind in my face/hair/etc. but to be honest with you, most of the time i'm riding, my gear is a comfort factor and i can actually enjoy it more. even with my "novelty helmet" on i don't like to ride through traffic. when i commute i always wear one of my DOT helmets.

but back to your original question as to why, well having a bike gives you a certain sense of freedom, and i think some bikers look at a helmet as a restriction of that freedom. i don't see the helmet as the restriction, i see the law as a restriction. give me the choice, and 9.5 times out of 10, i'll still wear it.

Lzen
07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I had a Vstar 650 Custom......I bought it 2 years old with 1500 miles on it for $3k. I'm 6' and 230 and it hauled me around just fine.

Wow. That sounds like a heck of a deal.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
He only wore it for one race that I know of, but this is a cool Valentino Rossi replica helmet from AGV.

http://i28.tinypic.com/oa3tc5.jpg

..now Rossi....THAT was a wicked high side a few weeks back. whoa.

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
..now Rossi....THAT was a wicked high side a few weeks back. whoa.

The one that broke his leg? Didn’t see it, only heard about it.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow. That sounds like a heck of a deal.

yeah; my wife had a friend at work who mntioned her husband was selling his. He bought it, put I think 1300 miles on it, but kept getting deployed (Army) - so he joked "every time I ride it I get deployed for 6 months". When I bought it, it had been sitting for a year. Trailered it home, drained the gas/ threw in some new juice and replaced the battery and she fired right up each and every time thereafter.

I rode it for 3 years and sold it for 2700.

Great bike; only wish it had a taller 5th gear, or had a 6th. got a littl buzzy at 75/hand numbness. it was perfect around 65.

Dayze
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
The one that broke his leg? Didn’t see it, only heard about it.

yep.

wicked get-off.

I think it was at Assen or Mugello...can't recall.

morphius
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
ROFL
Yes, even at my worst moments I'm still sarcastic to myself. ha!

Radar Chief
07-28-2010, 03:26 PM
yep.

wicked get-off.

I think it was at Assen or Mugello...can't recall.

Mick Doohan suffered a similar wreck, a high side that broke his right leg, at the Dutch TT in '92 and the medical care he got was so shoddy that he almost lost that leg and still walks with a cane because of it.
Of course he pioneered the use of a thumb lever for the rear brakes, since he couldn’t rotate his ankle to work a normal rear brake lever, which was all the rage in bike racing for a while. And he went on to win 5 GP championships in a row so it wasn’t all doom and gloom for Sir Mick Doohan.

Lzen
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
....Great bike; only wish it had a taller 5th gear, or had a 6th. got a littl buzzy at 75/hand numbness. it was perfect around 65.

I know what you mean. My Shadow 750 does this.

Lzen
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I know this thread is supposed to be about motorcycles and helmets, but since seatbelts entered the discussion.....

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/jul/28/child-one-two-dead-jefferson-county-car-crash/

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I know what you mean. My Shadow 750 does this.

As did mine, it was a known issue on the Shadow 750 and it's a pretty common issue with a 750 or lower on most cruisers. That's just a little too much weight. Even a taller final gear would be so underpowered at those speeds that you'd still be buzzy. Being carburated may also have something to do with it.

My Vulcan 900 doesn't do it at all. That little step up in horsepower, and a slightly more advanced engine, makes a big difference.

Dayze
07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
As did mine, it was a known issue on the Shadow 750 and it's a pretty common issue with a 750 or lower on most cruisers. That's just a little too much weight. Even a taller final gear would be so underpowered at those speeds that you'd still be buzzy. Being carburated may also have something to do with it.

My Vulcan 900 doesn't do it at all. That little step up in horsepower, and a slightly more advanced engine, makes a big difference.

Yep; the power on those bikes would force constant downshifts on the hwy.
I read changing out the grips could help eliminate the buzz. I never got around to doing it. Given my wife and I want to do more 2-up riding / hwy touring, my next oen will be at least a 900.

How do you like the Vulcan?
I've been eyeing one in Nomad trim.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I read changing out the grips could help eliminate the buzz. I never got around to doing it. Given my wife and I want to do more 2-up riding / hwy touring, my next oen will be at least a 900.

I like it quite a bit. It's certainly peppier than the 750 and does better than the V-Star 1200 I tried out as well. It just has a very nice motor in it that generates quite a bit of power while keeping the weight down. It's one of Kawasaki's newer motors so it does a lot of things well. It's water cooled so you don't have to worry about sitting in traffic. I like that it has discs on front and rear as well (not always common with medium cruisers).

If you're not looking for a big ol' sucker, it strikes a great balance. The only complaint I have is that it has a strange buzz in first gear when I use the transmission to slow the bike.

I got mine w/ the tour package:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Kawasaki-Vulcan900ClassicLTb-small.jpg

The windshield makes a big difference on long trips. It eliminates a lot of fatigue from wind buffering.

petegz28
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I have a friend of mine that will argue til he is blue in the face that wearing a helmet doesn't make any difference and won't do you any good. Yes, it is rather idiotic.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I haven’t done this but I have “heard”, i.e. read in a magazine, that if you fill the handle bar with lead shot and cap the ends it will go a long way to dampening the vibrations you guys are talking about. I would assume sand would have a similar effect.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I haven’t done this but I have “heard”, i.e. read in a magazine, that if you fill the handle bar with lead shot and cap the ends it will go a long way to dampening the vibrations you guys are talking about. I would assume sand would have a similar effect.

Spend $20 and get some iso handgrips and it will do the trick. They also look great.

petegz28
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
****, I wear a full face helmet when I drag race the Camaro. Took the visor off but still. The track makes you but I would still wear it even if they didn't. It's just stupid not to wear a helmet. Especially if you are on a motorcycle and the only thing between your head and the pavement is that helmet.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a friend of mine that will argue til he is blue in the face that wearing a helmet doesn't make any difference and won't do you any good. Yes, it is rather idiotic.

I was watching the qualifying for, IIRC, the ’91 MotoGP race at the Hockenheimring in Germany when Eddie Lawson had a major high-speed get-off.
Hockenheimring is famous for it’s long straights where GP bikes in particular would build lots of speed, capping 200 at the end of the longest straight.
Eddie had just pulled back onto the track from the pits after changing tires and a mistake made when reinstalling the front tire meant that at the end of the first big straight when he sat up and grabbed the front brakes the pads fell out of the calipers. He went off track somewhere on the high side of 190 with no brakes. I thought for sure he was dead, and the emergency crews shuttled him off to the hospital as fast as the dust settled from the crash.
Though he was highly disoriented that day, he got away with minor bruises and raced the next day in the position he had already qualified for.
There is a lot to be said about wearing the proper safety gear, though this story probably won’t convince your friend either.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Spend $20 and get some iso handgrips and it will do the trick. They also look great.

Talking about jell grips?

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
If you guys that ride the highway haven’t already done it, get a throttle lock cruise control.
I used to get CTS in my right hand after extended trips and a cruise control solved that for me.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Talking about jell grips?

Nope, it's a particular type of grip:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FVXSNJN5L._SS400_.jpg

The way the pads are placed and the thicker rubber spreads the vibration and it makes a world of difference.

Or just get a bigger bike...

Dayze
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
I like it quite a bit. It's certainly peppier than the 750 and does better than the V-Star 1200 I tried out as well. It just has a very nice motor in it that generates quite a bit of power while keeping the weight down. It's one of Kawasaki's newer motors so it does a lot of things well. It's water cooled so you don't have to worry about sitting in traffic. I like that it has discs on front and rear as well (not always common with medium cruisers).

If you're not looking for a big ol' sucker, it strikes a great balance. The only complaint I have is that it has a strange buzz in first gear when I use the transmission to slow the bike.

I got mine w/ the tour package:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Kawasaki-Vulcan900ClassicLTb-small.jpg

The windshield makes a big difference on long trips. It eliminates a lot of fatigue from wind buffering.

Cool; thanks for the info.
Yeah, I didn't like the rear drum on the 650. Good to hear it has discs on front and back.

My 650 would whine at times under engine braking; I read it was because of the straight cut gears? no idea what that means, or if it's true etc .

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Nope, it's a particular type of grip:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FVXSNJN5L._SS400_.jpg

The way the pads are placed and the thicker rubber spreads the vibration and it makes a world of difference.

Or just get a bigger bike...

Ah, I see.
I like the palm rest on the back of the throttle grip. That should help with CTS also.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Cool; thanks for the info.
Yeah, I didn't like the rear drum on the 650. Good to hear it has discs on front and back.

My 650 would whine at times under engine braking; I read it was because of the straight cut gears? no idea what that means, or if it's true etc .

Straight cut gears have teeth that are cut straight from one side of the gear to the other. Helical cut gears are cut diagonally and not only are quieter but also stronger because they spread stress out over a wider area.
I've seen straight cut gears in older vehicle transmissions, my Jeeps transmission and transfer case has them, but I tend to doubt Yamaha is putting them modern motorcycle engines. Could be wrong though, never been in a Yamaha transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear

Edit: link illustrates it better than I've explained it.

Dayze
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
cool; good to know Radar. always wondered about that.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Straight cut gears have teeth that are cut straight from one side of the gear to the other. Helical cut gears are cut diagonally and not only are quieter but also stronger because they spread stress out over a wider area.
I've seen straight cut gears in older vehicle transmissions, my Jeeps transmission and transfer case has them, but I tend to doubt Yamaha is putting them modern motorcycle engines. Could be wrong though, never been in a Yamaha transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear

Edit: link illustrates it better than I've explained it.

Straight cut gears are often found in the real high-end sports cars (Formula One, LeMans, etc...).

They're supposed to shift quicker, as I understand it.

Dayze
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
this must have been where I glanced over it. Mine was an 03 as well.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/275/966/Motorcycle-Article/2003-Yamaha-V-Star.aspx

Once up to temperature, the V-Star reveals its rider-friendly drivetrain. Clutch pull is quite light, and the cooperative, wide-ratio transmission makes things easy for newbies. First through third gears are quite short, allowing for strong acceleration, followed by a bit of a jump to a higher fourth gear that brings the revs down to a cruiser-appropriate cadence. A high-pitched whine from the gearbox's straight-cut gears is cool at first, but eventually becomes wearisome.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
this must have been where I glanced over it. Mine was an 03 as well.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/275/966/Motorcycle-Article/2003-Yamaha-V-Star.aspx

Once up to temperature, the V-Star reveals its rider-friendly drivetrain. Clutch pull is quite light, and the cooperative, wide-ratio transmission makes things easy for newbies. First through third gears are quite short, allowing for strong acceleration, followed by a bit of a jump to a higher fourth gear that brings the revs down to a cruiser-appropriate cadence. A high-pitched whine from the gearbox's straight-cut gears is cool at first, but eventually becomes wearisome.

Probably not the noise mine makes. It's more of a whir as it winds down and it's only in first gear under engine breaking. It doesn't do it at all in higher gears or during acceleration.

For all I know it's a defect, but the thing goes and stops when I want it to so I'm not terribly worried.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I got to thinking about it after posting that and went out to have a look at the spare transmission I've got sitting off to the side for my ZX-9 and there isn't a single helical cut gear on it. Every single gear is straight cut.
Guess that's what I get for opening my mouth before checking it out.:redface:

DenverChief
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Seatbelt laws aren't meant to just protect the people in the vehicle. They're also meant to protect the insurance companies from paying out millions in medical and death benefits.

FYP

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
FYP

Yup.

The insurance lobby is so strong that they can pass laws that say you have to wear a seatbelt, but they can't pass laws that allow them to lessen the damages award in the event you aren't wearing your seatbelt.

Right...

Lzen
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM

My next bike will be at least a 1200. :D

Lzen
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Just a guess but I think most bikers or people that know bikers know someone who has this belief.

RedNFeisty
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Between seeing motorcycles all over the place now and threads like this, I want a bike so bad. I just can't logically justify the cost currently. :deevee:

Guess I will have to settle for dating guys with motorcycles for the time being!

Lzen
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Probably not the noise mine makes. It's more of a whir as it winds down and it's only in first gear under engine breaking. It doesn't do it at all in higher gears or during acceleration.

For all I know it's a defect, but the thing goes and stops when I want it to so I'm not terribly worried.

That pretty much describes mine. I just always figured it was because of the shaft drive.

Radar Chief
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Between seeing motorcycles all over the place now and threads like this, I want a bike so bad. I just can't logically justify the cost currently. :deevee:

Guess I will have to settle for dating guys with motorcycles for the time being!

As soon as I swap out the transmission mine is going to be on the market.
Have much riding experience?

Lzen
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM

I picked up my 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with just over 8k miles last year for only $4300. Now, if you want a new one, it will run $8000 plus. Or if you want a Harley, you will definitely pay more. I suppose you could find an older one for a little less.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I saw a guy riding yesterday on the highway with no helmet, wearing shorts and boat shoes with no socks.

DJ's left nut
07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
I picked up my 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with just over 8k miles last year for only $4300. Now, if you want a new one, it will run $8000 plus. Or if you want a Harley, you will definitely pay more. I suppose you could find an older one for a little less.

Oh how I miss Procycle.

I bought my 2005 Shadow Aero from them brand new for $4900. I drove it off the showroom that day (rain and all). State Farm gave me $5,000 for it after the wreck.

Sure, they engaged in unlawful business practices and probably stole from Honda, but damn could Procycle cut you a deal...

Dayze
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
My next bike will be at least a 1200. :D

yeah, I will most likely be in the 1300-1600 range.

Love the Stratoliner Deluxe; of course, in that price range, one is approaching FLHX Street Glide territory - which is one of my favorite looking bikes.

Love the looks of those two baggers.

I should just hold out until I can get one of those.:banghead:

RedNFeisty
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
As soon as I swap out the transmission mine is going to be on the market.
Have much riding experience?
I grew up on a bike, rode all the time until I got married. I would have to touch up my skills a bit, but no biggie!!

RedNFeisty
07-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't go brand new for a while. I'm currently trying to justify spending $2k...lol

RedNFeisty
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I saw a guy riding yesterday on the highway with no helmet, wearing shorts and boat shoes with no socks.

That is just asking for death. I don't like helmets because they totally fuck up my hair, but it is certainly worth it.