PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley says Weis wilbe the Chiefs' 'predominat' play-caller

LaChapelle
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Haley says Weis will be the Chiefs' 'predominant' play-caller
(Tribal must have got some last night and got some more while it was still steaming this morning or he would have already posted this last night/this morning. so it gets no link)

Chiefs coach Todd Haley said on Sports Radio 810's The Program this afternoon that coordinator Charlie Weis will call the majority of the team's offensive plays.

Haley called plays last year after firing coordinator Chan Gailey less than two weeks before the regular season began. Haley, a former coordinator himself, said that, although Weis will call most plays, the head coach won't be far away.

"We're going to work together," Haley said.

How Haley works with Weis -- and, to a lesser degree, defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel -- will be among the second-year head coach's tallest tests this season. Weis is older and more experienced than Haley, which can be a difficult situation for a coach trying to make his name and assert himself to a team and community that isn't yet sold on his abilities. Haley is making the right decision in allowing Weis to lead the offense, and it appeared during offseason practice and the team's minicamp that Haley would allow Weis to shape the offense as he saw fit.

Training camp and the regular season, though, will challenge Haley further. He'll be tempted at times to overrule Weis, but that's a temptation he'll have to ignore most times if Haley is to continue maturing as a head coach -- and if he wants to maintain a healthy working relationship with an offensive coordinator who's far more decorated than his boss.

Submitted by Kent Babb on July 27, 2010 - 12:33pm.

login or register to post comments

An 8-8 season

Submitted by countrybuoy on July 28, 2010 - 8:48am.
I think an 8-8 season could be considered wildly successful and in our division just might sneak you into the playoffs as a wildcard. We're on the right track, finally, thank God, and our family at least (ALSO 16-year season ticketholders; six of them) plan to be patient and enjoy the climb back to the top!

Countrybuoy

pa-chief Haley was a
Submitted by pachief on July 27, 2010 - 4:06pm.
pa-chief Haley was a terrible play caller last year. Let weis call all of the plays.

Thanks SKO!
Submitted by Manila Chief on July 27, 2010 - 2:58pm.
I appreciate your insightful info. You done good. Thanks for sharing!!!

Weis calling plays
Submitted by ked123 on July 27, 2010 - 3:22pm.
The fact that this is even considered a story - that the offensive coordinator will be calling the plays - just shows how much Todd Haley still needs to grow up as a head coach.

Haley didn't write the
Submitted by Tarkus on July 27, 2010 - 4:47pm.
Haley didn't write the story. This would only be an issue during timeouts, because normally the regular playcaller barely has enough time as it is.

No head coach gives complete autonomy to any of his assistants, so this is a non-issue.

I think it's going to work...
Submitted by sko on July 27, 2010 - 1:48pm.
I know this is only hear-say, but Dwayne Bowe was in our city (Sioux Falls, SD) a few weeks back for a football camp my son attended. I was fortunate enough to spend 10 minutes talking with him during one of the breaks. Among other things, I asked 2 pretty direct questions during that time - 1. Is Haley as big of a pr!ck in person as he seems from the outside? And, 2. Who's running the offense this year - Weis or Haley (using Weis as a puppet)?

Bowe was surprisingly honest (or appeared to be). He said he felt Haley was a bit too harsh last year because he had too much on his plate and didn't handle it very well. He said Haley has been much calmer this year and more "friendly." That was good to hear.

He also said Weis was running the show on offense and Haley hadn't been openly involved as much - at least during the mini camps. He felt confident that Weis was going to call the shots with only a little input from Haley during games. That was great news to hear!

Now, Haley just needs to show that he can control his emotions on the sidelines without feeling like he needs to get in every player's face if they make a mistake. That's not to say the players don't deserve it at times. However, there were a few times last season where Haley's attitude/emotions/anger got in the way DURING games and I highly doubt it motivated anyone after it was done.

If the Chiefs management can get the top 3 draft picks into camp on time - or shortly after it starts - this could be the first positive year the Chiefs have had in a long time! A 9-7 record could be a realistic expectation with a playoff run over the next 2-3 years (2011-2013...and beyond?).

Before I get bashed on my 9-7 projection, yes - I'm a Chiefs fan and 16 year season ticket holder but I'm also trying to be realistic. I'm not one of those people who blindly says my favorite team is headed for the Superbowl every year. If the Chiefs can go 8-8 or 9-7 this year, that would be a great step in the right direction - in my opinion. Compared to the past 2-3 seasons, I think it would be hard to argue against me.

Go Chiefs!

Chiefs record this year
Submitted by JackMO Rob on July 27, 2010 - 3:01pm.
Nobody is going to argue that 8-8 or 9-7 would be a "great step in the right direction". But is it going to happen?

I would love to see KC win 8 or 9 games, but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope it happens. If you are really trying to be realistic, I would go with 6 wins and be happy if the team is more competitive overall. It might not show up in the win/loss column. The defense needs to do a whole lot better stopping the run and defending the big play.

The offense needs to cut down on turnovers and sacks so that it can give the defense a rest. Improving in those 2 areas would also help control the clock and help with field position.

Some pressure on the opposing QB would be nice, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I just want to see some improvement and see if Haley can be a reliable piece of the puzzle now that he has his people around him.

JackMO Rob