PDA

View Full Version : Football Antonio Gates Signs 5 Year Contract Extension

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Richest Contract for a TE in NFL History, higher than Tony Gonzalez's 2006 Contract by $1.25 Million.

The Chargers have Rivers and Gates Locked up for the next 5 years, I don't know about Rivers, but I think this will get Gates good enough numbers to ensure his spot in the HOF.

Mr. Laz
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
who?

-King-
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Cant hate. Hes earned it
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow. I don't think of him as a HOF player.

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Wow. I don't think of him as a HOF player.

No?

Compare his numbers to the current HOF TEs

His Current Numbers

479 Receptions / 6223 Yards / 59 TDs

Give him (a low guess) 50 receptions and 500 Yards for the next 5 years, and maybe 5 TDs a year and he has

729 Receptions / 8723 Yards / 84 TDs

DeezNutz
07-28-2010, 06:10 PM
No?

Compare his numbers to the current HOF TEs

Yeah, he might be. He just doesn't register as being HOF worthy. I'm probably wrong.

Just a "huh" moment.

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, he might be. He just doesn't register as being HOF worthy. I'm probably wrong.

Just a "huh" moment.

To be fair, you are used to having the greatest TE of all time.

ChiefGator
07-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah, he's going to look good going into the Hall without a ring. And with scant few meaningful playoff games either.

Sorry.... just a moment of self-loathing that all crappy teams have to self-indulge.

And by HE, I meant Tony.

Oh yeah.. congrats. Gates is a hell of a player, and was always super-respectful about playing in the same division as Tony.

CrazyPhuD
07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
He's a good player...but he'd need to play at a high level for all 5 years to really be a lock for the HOF. That's not going to be easy to do. That's not t say he'd not be in the HOF...but may not be a lock.

milkman
07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Gates has struggled with some minor injuries over the last two or three seasons, so his production doesn't seem to be as.....uh......productive.

If he continues to battle these dings in the next few years, he won't make it to the HoF because the perception will be that he wasn't as much of a consistent weapon as he could have been.

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:28 PM
He's a good player...but he'd need to play at a high level for all 5 years to really be a lock for the HOF. That's not going to be easy to do. That's not t say he'd not be in the HOF...but may not be a lock.

Just for reference, he will pretty much surpass Kellen Winslow in Receptions and Yards this year. He already has 14 more TDs than Winslow had.

Gates has struggled with some minor injuries over the last two or three seasons, so his production doesn't seem to be as.....uh......productive.

If he continues to battle these dings in the next few years, he won't make it to the HoF because the perception will be that he wasn't as much of a consistent weapon as he could have been.

Gates had a bad 2008* because of injury, but here are his 2009 numbers:

79 Rec / 1157 Yards (14.6 Avg) / 8 TD

*And by bad I mean

60 Rec / 704 Yards (11.7 Avg) / 8 TD

milkman
07-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Gates had a bad 2008* because of injury, but here are his 2009 numbers:

79 Rec / 1157 Yards (14.6 Avg) / 8 TD

*And by bad I mean

60 Rec / 704 Yards (11.7 Avg) / 8 TD

I said "perception".

He just hasn't seemed as dynamic, even though his numbers are still good.

When it comes to HoF voting, perception is reality.

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I said "perception".

Maybe to you, but last year was his most productive season. His avg yards per catch was by far his highest.

Anyways, not saying he should be first ballot or anything, but I think he'll make it.

CrazyPhuD
07-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Just for reference, he will pretty much surpass Kellen Winslow in Receptions and Yards this year. He already has 14 more TDs than Winslow had.

And the game is radically different now...making such a claim would be like making a claim that Brad Cottam deserves a place in the HOF because he's equaled the receptions and yards of some early players.

I'm not saying he's not HOF worthy, he just has more to prove. HOF isn't just about numbers it's also about impact. One of gate's challenges is that while he's been a great TE, I would say he's had a harder time standing out on even his own team. The question he's going to have to face is how much of a product of the system he's played in has he been? He's played only with pretty elite QBs. This is where longevity comes in. If he plays at a high level for long enough, 'system' questions tend to fade.

Quesadilla Joe
07-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Gates has proven to be injury prone the past couple years. Poor investment by the Dolts.

bevischief
07-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Gates got the official BBQ of the Chiefs for 5 yrs that is a heck of a deal.

Buck
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
And the game is radically different now...making such a claim would be like making a claim that Brad Cottam deserves a place in the HOF because he's equaled the receptions and yards of some early players.

I'm not saying he's not HOF worthy, he just has more to prove. HOF isn't just about numbers it's also about impact. One of gate's challenges is that while he's been a great TE, I would say he's had a harder time standing out on even his own team. The question he's going to have to face is how much of a product of the system he's played in has he been? He's played only with pretty elite QBs. This is where longevity comes in. If he plays at a high level for long enough, 'system' questions tend to fade.

First of all that thing you said about Cottam is fucking Stupid. I don't even know who he is, so I looked him up and he has 120 career yards. Secondly, I dont think Gates can make it in right now if he never played again, but I think he will have decent enough years to do so. Lastly this argument about great QBs/Great WRs is made every time. Was it Montana who made Rice, or Rice who made Montana? Believe me, Gates is a big boy with speed, if anything, he has made Rivers look better than he is rather than vice versa.

Gates has proven to be injury prone the past couple years. Poor investment by the Dolts.

Shut the fuck up idiot.

Consistent1
07-28-2010, 06:54 PM

That might be taking it just a TOUCH too far, don't ya think?

boogblaster
07-28-2010, 06:56 PM
He usually burns our ass every time we play them ....

-King-
07-28-2010, 06:56 PM

You guys drafted a quarterback that has to learn how to fucking throw this off season. Might wanna shut the fuck up a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quesadilla Joe
07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Shut the **** up idiot.

Just saying I would rather have McNeil or Jackson over Gates for the long haul if I was the Dolts.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
You guys drafted a quarterback that has to learn how to ****ing throw this off season. Might wanna shut the **** up a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Knowmo compared him to Peyton Manning earlier, so this will surely go right through his empty skull.

Buck
07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Just saying I would rather have McNeil or Jackson over Gates for the long haul if I was the Dolts.

Thats not what you said at all dipshit. You said he was injury prone and it was a bad investment.

Bane
07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Somebody mentioned Cottam in a conversation about TE's.......LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Mile High Mania
07-28-2010, 07:13 PM
The Pro Football HOF really isn't as elite as it should be... unfortunately. It should be more than numbers. Don't get me wrong, #'s are a huge part of it... along with longevity and how that player affected the game in his era. Gates is great, but let's not pretend like the HOF is elite.

Kerberos
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I said "perception".

The Pro Football HOF really isn't as elite as it should be... unfortunately. It should be more than numbers. Don't get me wrong, #'s are a huge part of it... along with longevity and how that player affected the game in his era. Gates is great, but let's not pretend like the HOF is elite.

IMHO I really think that being in the same division and the same era as Tony G took away some of the attention he should have/would have had if he started his career NOW instead of a few years after Tony did.

IMO he was somewhat in the shadow of Tony since he (Tony) changed the way coaches perceived a good TE.

Consistent1
07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
One thing that is going to play a huge role in potential future HOF TE's is the fact there are so many damn good ones right now when it comes to receiving.

XXXshogunXXX
07-28-2010, 09:44 PM

because youre a ****in idiot and everyone else with at least little to normal intelligence is leaps and bounds smarter than you

TheGuardian
07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
He's just 30 so not a bad lock up.

As far as the HOF thing? Ehh. When I think of Gates I think of Hall of Great. Not Hall of Fame.

DaneMcCloud
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
The Pro Football HOF really isn't as elite as it should be

You are absolutely correct.

They let a fucking Bronco in this year.

Buck
07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
He's just 30 so not a bad lock up.

As far as the HOF thing? Ehh. When I think of Gates I think of Hall of Great. Not Hall of Fame.

He's a potential 10,000 Yard Receiver. All he needs is what, 4000 more yards? That gets you in. I know thats asking a lot, and you are right he is not HOF yet, but if he gets to Shannon Sharpe hes gotta be a without a doubter.

notorious
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
They are holding on too long. They should have booted LT a couple of years ago and got draft picks, but they kept him.

I think it is the same situation with Gates.

stormtrooper
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
If Gates holds down solid seasons like Tony G. has all his career, then yes he will be HOF. Priest was good, but only for a short time. So I doubt he gets in. IMO

stormtrooper
07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
They are holding on too long. They should have booted LT a couple of years ago and got draft picks, but they kept him.

I think it is the same situation with Gates.

I agree on LT. But if Gates in a HOF player, he should be a solid player till he retires. We should have kept Tony G. But I don't blame him for wanting to leave.

stormtrooper
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Yes we are. It's hard to see anyone as HOF with Tony G. on your television every sunday.